Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Reunion  (Read 18126 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 11:44:10 PM »

What is it with Gray Jedi and collapsing places...the Imperial Citadel on Byss in Tarnished Knight...Geonosis in Wind Chimes...now this!!!

Yeah, these stupid Sith keep hanging out in structurally unsound ruins!  Its annoying...  ;-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 12:29:12 AM »

Karm seems to forget patience all too often, rushing in (albeit a bit understandably here) without taking the time to understand what he's rushing in to.  It seems that time after time his opponents have strong obstacles waiting to wear him down, to play his faults, and get him to step to their advantage.  It is only through his raw power that he seems to be pulling things out by the skin of his teeth, and that may be showing limits he had not anticipated.  I imagine that while surprised by the destruction of the Rur fragment (where does he get such wonderful toys? Wink ), Mellichae has more surprises in store for the headstrong hero... 

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 12:42:49 AM »

Great chapter. It's hard to pick a favorite character from your stories Karm, but Two is right up there at the top. Cheesy But yeah, the DCCs seem to get smashed up pretty regularly.

One thing though, from the way Elisa insisted on coming in the last chapter, I had to wonder if she was somehow turned into a double agent by Mellichae. While maybe not on the ship, she definitely was once on the ground. Although she did give Karmack something interesting to think about and try to implement. A healing motif mixed in with the rest of the battle song. I'm honestly kind of surprised Karmack hadn't already thought of it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 12:44:59 AM »

Great chapter. It's hard to pick a favorite character from your stories Karm, but Two is right up there at the top. Cheesy But yeah, the DCCs seem to get smashed up pretty regularly.

One thing though, from the way Elisa insisted on coming in the last chapter, I had to wonder if she was somehow turned into a double agent by Mellichae. While maybe not on the ship, she definitely was once on the ground. Although she did give Karmack something interesting to think about and try to implement. A healing motif mixed in with the rest of the battle song. I'm honestly kind of surprised Karmack hadn't already thought of it.

That impatience, charging in, overpower the enemy mindset.  He really needs a Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan LOL.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 01:09:37 PM »

LSG, Illyiss, you guys (as always) have given me something to think about.  Deeply....  :-)

Although I have to say that Qui Gon Gin might not be the best mentor for Karmack.  Qui Gon was also a bit reckless...  Obi Wan, on the other hand...   ;-)

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »

Qui-Gon was reckless, but at the same time he gathered his information.  His start point was always well informed, it was after the plan set in motion that the reckless kicked in. Wink

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 03:39:39 PM »

LOVE what you did with the crystal lore Karm!  Now Mellichae's plans make MUCH more sense!  And the return of the DDCs is ALWAYS a welcome inclusion  Smiley

Yeah, these stupid Sith keep hanging out in structurally unsound ruins!  Its annoying...  ;-)
LOL  So true Karm  Grin

I like especially like Karm's fight with the twins; too bad they had the misfortune of going against a superior Singer.  Those two could have an interesting backstory... Or not  Wink

Tight action, great narrative, keep it coming!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 03:57:47 PM »

LOL

Thanks guys, the feed back is encouraging and stimulating, as always.  :-)

I feel like this is that page in a "choose your own adventure" novel where you have to choose...

"If Karmack continues to recklessly pursue Mellichae, go to page 14."
"If Karmack and company concentrate on saving the healers and let Mellichae flee, turn to page 27."
"If Karmack and company try to split the difference, taking the wounded healers with them as they pursue Mellichae, turn to page 47."

Or is there ANOTHER way???  Hmm....

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »

"If Karmack sends Arnor and the droids to get the healers out, while he goes after Mellichae alone, turn to page 60."

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »

"If Karmack sends Arnor and the droids to get the healers out, while he goes after Mellichae alone, turn to page 60."

Now, see, I ... 

Wait.  ARE YOU READING OVER MY SHOULDER AGAIN???    ;-)

Or is this response a massive red herring?  *sniff sniff*  Hmmm.....

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »

Teaser for the next chapter....

Karmack's combat knife:

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 09:51:57 PM »

Ooo, intriguing. Wink

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »

Nifty kukri, Karm!

I like it!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 10:58:35 PM »

CH6: Ius Gladii (Right of the Sword)
Part One

I turned away from the dust, coughing to clear my lungs.  I could still feel the Ancient One, tantalizingly close...  I pulled out my communicator.  "Karmack to Wayfarer, state your position."

"We are seven kilometers out, orbiting at five hundred meters altitude." Jo'Anne's voice came back instantly. 

"Good."  I turned to gesture to Arnor but she was already moving her charges toward the exit again.  Elisa still stood with a confused look on her face, watching us.  "Elisa, help Arnor.  We need to get these women out of here."  She looked at me blankly.  "MOVE!"

That seemed to break the spell, and Elisa clipped her saber to her belt and moved to help Arnor.  I brought the communicator back up.  "Jo'Anne, bring the ship in and set her down next to the portal where we entered.  We'll have survivors.  Have Vegan set up a sensor watch, I want to know if anything or anyone approaches the enclave, or if any vehicles of any kind try to leave."

"Will do.  We'll be on the ground in ... four minutes." Jo'Anne's voice sounded confident and I was glad she was there.  Though the Rur could have turned her presence there into a disaster.  But the Rur was no more, that threat ended...  Thank the Maker, Karmack, because you certainly didn't see that one coming!

I moved to where Two and Mutt were untangling from their wrecked DCCs.  "You guys OK?"  Mutt whistled an affirmative.  Two...

Well, Two responded.  "I'll take that as a 'yes' then..."  More tweets and whistles.  "OK, a qualified yes.  Sheesh."  Mutt whistled a question to me.  "Do either of the DCCs still have working remotes?"  Mutt twittered another affirmative. "Good.  Release them and have them scan the sub-level."

Mutt acknowledged the direction and plugged into his failing DCC.  After a few moments one of the munitions compartments popped open and a half-dozen small probes floated out, hovered for a second, then moved out into the corridors.  They would map the tunnels and scan for life forms, finding and tracking Mellichae and whatever forces he had left.

Assuming he didn't just run.

I opened myself to the force, listened to the song.  The pace was quickening, the various melodies still intertwined.  He's not going to run.  Mellichae wanted this confrontation.  He needed it.  Nor was I of a mind to deny him.  His actions had earned him an appointment with the Sword of Justice. But first we had to take care of the Healers we'd rescued.

After extracting Two and Mutt fully from the DCC wreckage I helped get the five women we'd just rescued to the ship.  Jo'Anne had the Wayfarer on the ground when we arrived.  It took a few minutes to get everyone situated.  Jo'Anne took charge of their medical needs while Mutt joined Vegan in plugging in and flying the ship.  I joined Mutt briefly in the cockpit.  "Once we redeploy I want you airborne.  Your first priority is to keep anyone from getting out.  Mellichae and his remaining men probably have at least one vehicle stashed away somewhere, so stay sharp and keep the comm open.  Questions?"

Mutt's reply was a simple negative beep before he brought the flight controls online.  Like Two, Mutt was a competent pilot with combat experience.  He and Vegan could run and fly the ship without any problems.  I gave him an affectionate pat on the dome and left him to it, headed for the armory.  Once there I grabbed a belt pouch and added it to my combat harness over my left hip.  Inside I put a half-dozen "snoopers" - small, round remotes that could be tossed or rolled into a room or corridor, scanning in visual, EM and infra-red as they went.  These reported back to a small base device, which I also tucked into the pouch.  I finished by adding a pair of aerosol grenades to my harness.  The 'smoke' they would release was dense and blocked both heat and light.  I was about to head back out but at on impulse I turned back and grabbed a second combat knife, a twin to the 12" kukri-style knife already riding my right hip.  I added the second sheath to my left hip, tucked under the pouch.

"Thinking close-quarters?" Arnor asked from the doorway.

"I'm not sure.  Just ... seemed like a good idea.  These, though..." I patted the pouch "...I should have had these all along.  Armsman Gol'ana is going to kick my posterior for not using the remotes in the first place.  He'd never forgive me if I didn't correct that error now."

Arnor grabbed a pouch of her own.  "No, he wouldn't.  We need to go, we've losing time.  Who knows what that monster has planned..."

I led her out of the room, adjusting my armor as we trotted down the boarding ramp.  "I'm not sure he's really planned anything out, but he had to know this would provoke a response.  His end-game seemed to be to capture and use you to open the crystal and give him revenge on me personally."  I turned and looked my wife in the eye.  "I think he underestimates your strength.  And he's TOTALLY underestimated how resolute the ... entities ... in the crystal are that they not be taken.  They will destroy themselves before bending to his will.  And without the Rur, he no longer has the key he needs to open the crystal anyway."

Arnor's brow furrowed.  "Are you sure?  He may have something else up his sleeve that we don't know about."

I nodded.  "True.  That's why we're going back in smart."  I looked over to where Two, now ensconsed in the final DCC we had with us, rode down the cargo lift accompanied by Elisa.  "Are you OK to go back in?"

Two responded with a rude series of tweets and chirps.  "I wasn't talking to you!  I know you're always ready for a fight." I turned to Elisa.  "Are you good?"

The Koawan Knight took a deep breath and nodded.  "Yes.  He's not..."  For a moment her eyes were haunted.

"No." I said firmly.  "The Rur had the power to let him 'capture' your mind using certain motifs the same way..."  I stopped.  "Well, its a long story.  I'll explain on the way home.  But now..."

"Justice must be served." Elisa replied firmly.

"Justice." Arnor said, joining our circle.

"Justice." I replied.

The song swelled, a stirring crescendo of brass instruments, horns in the lead...

Two chirped, and I sighed.  "Language..."

<<<<  >>>>

Our second entrance into the sub-levels of the Enclave was faster - and more cautious.  The snoopers had done their work and we had a fairely comprehensive map of the levels ... with a large blank area almost directly opposite where we were.  "I'm pretty sure that's where we're going to find them." I said as we moved through the corridors.

"Ya think?" Arnor replied.  She was spaced a good distance from me but we were tied together by our tactical communication link. "According to our records that area should be a large chamber, some kind of technical area."

I checked the map on my own device.  The overall shape of this area of the Enclave as a loop, or square, with a spur on each end.  One spur led to the council chamber where we entered.  The other spur opposite it went to the "blind" zone, but should be a matching large chamber similar to the council "robe room" where we entered from the destroyed council chamber above.   There were also chambers where these spurs met the square.  The near chamber was where we'd had our first fight.  The second "inner" chamber was where our snooper probes tended to go off the air.  In between were long corridors filled with doorways that led to rooms filled with Maker-knew-what.

Perfect for staging an ambush...

Which was why we were advancing carefully now, using the snoopers and staying well spaced.  We had also split up, with Arnor and Elisa headed down the right-hand corridor while Two and I took the left-hand pathway.  The side rooms were mostly empty, long-since picked apart by scavengers and salvagers looking for tech they could sell.  Nor did we find more prisoners ... or bodies.  But there was blood.

Lots of blood.

I moved with my senses wide open, feeling my way more than seeing.  There were disturbing echoes in the force, some recent, others distant.  The Dantooine enclave had seen wars and horrors for millennia.  The recent atrocities, though fresh, were subsumed by the mosaic of tragedy and death that reverberated throughout.  Nor was the song unaffected, a minor dirge underpinning the melody of the Jedi that still coursed through these chambers.  The hammering of the Sith was present as well, but largely suppressed.

Everywhere ... except that open area...

Only the 'blind zone' ahead was different.  It was filled with the hammering rhythm that I had learned to associate with Mellichae.  It as his battle-song, refracted and reinforced by whatever chorus he'd managed to assemble with the Rur before losing it.  The power of it was daunting.  Mellichae wasn't running: he was waiting for us to come to him, on his terms and on ground of his choosing.

So be it.

We rounded the corner and I caught sight of Arnor at the far end of the corridor.  She and Elisa were moving in a dash-and-cover pattern, one dashing ahead to a cover position where they would scan with the Force.  Once they determined it was clear, the other would dash ahead to the next position and do the same.  Repeat as needed.

Two couldn't really hide, so we were handling it a little differently.  Two walked slowly down the middle of the corridor, scanning for threats, while I ghosted along with him, zig-zagging back and forth from cover to cover, scanning in the force at each cover position.

We met at the small atrium that marked the joining of the square.  There were exits at the cardinal points from the generally circular atrium, but the door to the right only led to a small service room in the interior of the square.  A quick look revealed nothing but ransacked server racks and stripped power systems.

We turned and faced the last doorway - a heavy blast door, which appeared to be locked.  "He's in there..."

Arnor nodded.  "Two, there's a data port here.  Plug in and see if you can override the door."

Two twittered an acknowledgement and stepped to the port, plugging in and attempting to access the computer network behind it.  After only a few seconds the blast door suddenly slammed open, the chamber beyond lit with dim, red lights.  "Good work, Two!"

Two stepped back, turning toward the opening, screaming a warning.  Before I could react a massive fist of force energy flowed past me, slamming into Two, Arnor and Elisa, tossing them all back against the far wall of the atrium.  "Arnor..."

Another tendril of force energy wrapped around me and pulled....  I was singing now, my saber active in my hand, golden light flooding the room as I threw the tendril off.  I caught my balance, centered, kept my feet ... but the pull had done it's work.  The massive blast door which had opened so suddenly closed with matching swiftness, thundering back into place and separating me from Arnor, Elisa and Two.

A red blade ignited in front of me and the room echoed with the rumbling of Mellichae's laughter.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:59 PM »

CH6: Ius Gladii (Right of the Sword)
Part Two

****  ARNOR  ****

I hit the wall with a grunt, blunting the impact with the Force.  Elisa hit next to me and sagged down the wall, she hadn't had time to get a cushion up.  "Two!  Get that door open!"

No messing around now, no cocky droid profanity.  Two righted the DCC and sprang back to the data port, plugging in again and this time he braced himself.  Nothing would move him until he was done.

"Karm..." I whispered.  My eyes went opaque as I reached out, touching our song.  The fugue, normally so tightly woven, was fraying, the songs separating in an echo of our physical separation.  "Sing, my love..." I felt his battle song swell and it relaxed me as the meld eveloped me.  We were still connected.  Whatever he faced, we would face it together.

"Arnor!"  I heard Elisa's cry and turned to see red sabers approaching. 

Lots of red sabers...

"Two!  We need you, dear."  I spun, fusing my own battle song into my husband's far stronger melody.  Even separated, on different fronts, we were stronger together than apart.  We would need that strength now.  Two freed himself from the port, abandoning the effort to open the portal in order to support us.  His fire hammered down one corridor, bottling up the attackers there, while Elisa and I faced the Shadows streaming out of the other corridor.

There were six in front of us coming up the corridor three by three.  They were all dressed in identical black armor and carrying sabers.  I slipped into a modified Soresu immediately, going defensive, parrying the first slashing attack high and riposte with a quick thrust through the attacker's off-hand shoulder.  He cried out and stumbled backwards, only to be replaced with two more who attempted to hit me with a coordinated attack.  I slammed a narrowly focused force push into the face of one and saw his head snap back as if something had pole-axed him across the bridge of his nose.  He dropped like a sack, tangling the stance of his partner, robbing his attack of any power.  I blocked his slice to my side and with a quick flip of my wrists spun my blade through his forearm.  His saber deactivated as it fell from the severed hand. 

A second hard force 'punch' put him down as well, and I turned in time to see Elisa's blade take the last Shadow standing through the thigh.  He went down hard, his saber spinning away, but his hand clawed for his blaster.  Elisa didn't give him a second chance, slicing through the arm and torso on her next orbit.

I turned and saw one of the Shadows behind us deflect one of Two's blaster bolts.  It went up and into the ceiling, cratering the alloy and showering debris down on them.  Three of them were down, leaving three still active.  I took two steps toward them before one abandoned his saber, drew his own blaster and fired on me.  I bounced the shot back at him, hitting him in the neck.  As his body and head fell, separate, his mpanions broke and ran.

I caught Elisa's arm as she moved to pursue.  "No, let them go."

"But..." I gave her a firm look.  What Karm called the "Mother" look.  She sighed and relaxed.  "OK, ok..."

I turned back to Two, sampling the Song.  Whatever was happening on the other side of the door, my husband was being pressed hard. 

"Elisa, do you feel it?"

Elisa concentrated for a minute and nodded.  "Yes.  He's burning up, like before."

"Can you reinforce him like you did earlier?" 

"Yes ... but I need to concentrate."

"Do it, I'll cover you."  I turned to Two.  "Get us through that door."

I turned and stared, trying to look through the door.  All I could sense from the room was a hurricane of swirling force, wildly fluxuating song and savage, deadly struggle.  "Hang on my love..."

****  Karmack  ****

Mellichae let his laughter taper off and started to walk deliberately around the perimeter of the room.  "Welcome, Master Karmack, to 'the pit'.  We've been waiting for you..." Four more sabers ignited as additional Sith Shadows stepped forward.  They were all wearing black armor, matching the armor Mellichae had adopted.  I probed with the force, augmenting the probe with a discovery motif in the song, and what I felt was puzzling. 

...Fury ... Anger ... Agression ... Fear ...

Fear?  Mellichae radiated fury and aggression.  He was beyond fear, thinking only of hurting me and those close to me.  But the rest...  They felt more like Tiedowans than Knights, unsteady in the force and while they echoed their leader's fury and anger the aggression was suppressed by heavy fear like a dampening field.  I adjusted the emitter in my hilt and ignited the back-side blade, adding its golden fire to the first.  "Mellichae, just hand over the Ancient One, and we can part ways.  No one else has to die today."

"YOU LIE!" Mellichae screamed at me, his eyes sick yellow orbs.  "You want me dead!  Admit it!  ADMIT IT!  The great Ka'A'Mack of the Mak'Tor, Master Singer, Defender of the Light, would like nothing more than to see me BURN!"  Mellichae stepped back, close to the wall, and held his saber aloft, lighting the far wall of the chamber.  "You're no better than any common murderer!  Admit it..."

The red light of his blade illuminated another woman, chained to the wall.  Blood trailed down from her mouth and a cut on her face,  and there was evidence of other injuries on her body.  She was unconscious, hanging from her wrists, and barely breathing.  I felt the rage rise in me again, but with a great effort I set it aside.  "If you insist, Justice will be done here today Mellichae.  Maker knows you deserve it, but I yield the right to deliver it.  If the Maker decrees that you live today..."

"THERE IS NO MAKER!" Mellichae screamed.  He snapped his saber back around to the front and advanced.  "No Maker, no light, no dark.  Only the song ... MY song ... and the force ... and they are MINE to command!"  He suddenly started to sing and another light, a sickly green, began to glow from a dozen crystals embedded in the walls of the room.  I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach, retched and went down on one knee.  Mellichae saw me stagger and cackled.  "Yes!  A legacy from Mendax.  They are Pontite, not Kyber, but they have virtually the same characteristics as the Rur."  His song intensified and rippled through me in hammering waves, but something else was also there...

The Ancient One!

I could feel it in the song, in the force.  I rallied and poured more energy into my song, meeting and then exceeding his volume and energy.  I wrapped it around me like armor and straightened.  "The Maker is.  He is Truth.  He is Light.  Darkness is banished by His Light..."

Mellichae screamed and the attack came.  With a battle cry of my own I dropped a hammer-fist into the ground before me, filling the shockwave with force energy.  The ripple hammered out and knocked three of Mellichae's apprentices off their feet, tossing them backwards.  The fourth staggered but kept his feet.  I stepped in and engaged him, cutting high, middle, high...  He blocked each attack but missed the twist of my hips as the third strike hit his high guard.  With a twist I thrust forward and pulled my back-side blade through, severing his right thigh above the knee.  He fell and I backed, using the pause to rest.  Already the effort of countering Mellichae's song was beginning to burn inside me...

A soothing cool feeling suddenly washed over me, wiping the burn away and filling me with renewed energy. I felt a familiar song of healing wrap around my battle song as well as a sudden sense of calm and assurance from my wife. Elisa's song!  Bless you Arnor!

Mellichae snarled.  "To little, to late, Gray!" He screamed and poured even more energy into his remaining minions.  I matched his energy level, pulling more energy, focusing through the Ancient One as well as the crystals in my saber, and I spun into the melee wrapping myself in the force.  I hurled debris at the attackers, pelting them with rocks and furniture and anything not tied down from behind even as I drew their attention forward with my attacks.  It didn't take long for a large chunk of rock to cause an opening and I struck like a viper, severing one of the Shadow's saber arm at the elbow.  He screamed and fell back, and I was in the gap, my blade struck one way and I reached out through a small gap in the other's defenses that appeared as his concentration flickered.  The second Shadow fell, my saber blade punching through armor and rib-cage, turning his heart and lungs to charred goo while the last suddenly collapsed, his spinal chord suddenly crushed just at the base of his skull.

I took a split second to assess the room - I'd lost track of Mellichae - and nearly died.  Instinctively reacting to a ripple in the force I suddenly launched myself into a forward roll, assisting the dive with the force to move quickly.  Mellichae's blade hissed through the air where I'd been only moments before.  I overshot and slammed into the chamber wall, and blinding pain spiked through me as a protrusion slammed into my back, breaking at least one rib and possibly two.  I stood, realized I was next to the woman Mellichae had tried to use to provoke me, and with a quick back-hand severed the chains holding her arms.  She collapsed to the floor and started breathing easier, but that was all I could do for her now.  I threw myself into another forward roll, extending my saber to parry the slash Mellichae threw at me as I went by.  He missed - mostly - and more pain coursed through me as the tip of his saber tracked along my right thigh.  The burn was shallow but the DL-44 blaster came apart under his blade as well, the energy discharge hammering my leg and very nearly breaking the femur.

I did another shoulder roll and came to my feet.  The healing energy from Elisa's song was coursing through me again, but it was almost completely expended keeping the damage from the energy I was pouring into my own song at bay.  But it was enough, barely, to keep me on my feet and mobile.  I centered myself and reconfigured my hilt to a single blade, adopting a middle guard. 

Mellichae matched my position and grinned.  "You live up to your reputation, Karmack.  But I know that had to hurt.  I can see the pain on your face, it colors the force."  His grin widened.  "It makes me happy..."  His attack was blindingly fast as he poured as much energy from his own song in as he could muster.  He would burn out, perhaps die from it, but he no longer cared.  He simply wanted to kill me, and he was willing to risk his own death to do it.

I parried and parried, unable to riposte as he drove me backwards.  I felt the pain in my side, in my leg, and set them aside.  There was nothing but the song, our blades, and the light.  I felt my own energy levels rise higher.  Our blades were blinding, moving faster than the eye could track.  The blur lit the room in amber light as we circled, thrusting and retreating, moving forward and backward, up and down, attacking and defending.  And then, an opening...

I struck, hammering his blade aside and with lighting swiftness bringing the blade down on his arm.  His MECHANICAL ARM! my mind hissed to me, a fraction of a second to late.  My blade slid down onto his exposed shoulder - and into the cortosis shield he'd built over the new shoulder joint and hidden under his armor.

My blade died as Mellichae's cackle filled the room.  His red blade struck, and I did the only thing I could: I blocked with my saber.  The song-steel sheath held, but it came away scorched.  It wouldn't hold for more than one or two more strikes.  He hammered again as my thumb moved, sliding the selector back again, and I caught his second strike.  The sheath turned the strike but failed, exposing the inner chassis.  Mellichae's eyes were maniacal as he struck again, intent on the kill...

My blade exploded to life and I turned the hilt, catching his blade right at the base of my own.  I had to move too quickly for control and I lost my grip.  His red blade intersected the crystal chamber of my saber just as my golden blade sliced through his saber's power core.  I ducked in time, bringing my armored right arm up to protect my eyes and face, and Mellichae's mechanical arm stood up to the energy release as the sabers immolated themselves in a fury of mutual destruction.

"What have you DONE?" Mellichae roared. He flexed his fingers, visually confirming that the arm's mechanisms were still good. "No matter!  I will kill you with my bare hands!" He launched himself at me, arms extended for my throat...

My primary combat knife was gone, lost with the blaster to his long cut on my thigh, but the back-up I'd added was still in place.  With smooth grace, as if I'd practiced the move a thousand times, I caught the extended wrist of his right mechanical arm in a c-block with my own right arm even as my left drew the 12-inch song-steel kukri blade from the sheath on my left hip.  In a reverse grip, the spine of the blade resting along my fore-arm, I raked the blade through his armor and under his ribs, cutting deep into his upper abdomen.  The shock of injury froze Mellichae in place as I extended his arm, brought my left arm up in front of me and reversed my slash - across the exposed right side of his throat.  Blood fountained out in an arterial spray that, thanks to the continued control of the wrist, mainly passed over my head.

We fell to our knees, facing each other, and Mellichae's eyes met mine.  "Oh..." he hissed, and his eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed backwards.  Relief flooded through me as his song collapsed, and I let my battle song die as well.  Surprisingly I did not feel the heavy fatigue I'd felt before, but the pain of the accumulated injuries flooded in and I rolled over on my back to take the stress off my throbbing right thigh...

An explosion of sparks erupted from the closed blast door as a pale blue blade punched through and cut an over-sized passage through the heavy steel door, cutting as if it were butter.  With a crash Two stepped through, his over-sized "seige" saber extended from his right gauntlet, his left gauntlet sporting the normal heavy blaster.  Arnor and Elisa stepped through immediately behind him, eyes searching the room.   

"Karm!" Arnor killed her saber and was at my side in a moment.  "Are you ok?  Where are you hurt?" she said between kisses, her hands patting me down frantically, looking for a missing limb or deep wound to account for the blood.

"Its ok, its ok.  This isn't mine..."  I said, sitting up.  "Its his."

Elisa looked down at the still form, then spat.  "Mellichae."  She looked at me and I could feel her rage even now, but the hatred was dissipating.  "Thank you."

I nodded. "Just one more thing I have to do..."  With Arnor's help I stood up, calling the shattered remains of my saber to my hand.  One of the crystals was intact and I extracted it from the ruined chamber, then dropped the wrecked chassis back to the floor before scanning around the room.

The crystals were still there, but they now glowed light blue ... except for one.  "There you are."  I hobbled over to the Ancient One, resting in one of the niches in the chamber wall.  I picked it up, squeezed it in my hand, then dropped it into my breast pocket.  "We'll talk later..."

Arnor was looking around now as well.  "What are all of these?"

"Mellichae claimed they were copies of the Rur.  Whether that's true or not I haven't been able to determine, but they were certainly tuned to his song."  I picked one up, feeling it warm in my hand.  "Pontite.  I think Mendax programmed them, and he was able to make use of them."

"Mendax..." Arnor growled the name.  "Good riddance to him.  And now Mellichae is dead, ending his legacy."  She glanced down at her communications device.  "Mutt has the local militia on the way to take the rest of these jokers into custody.  Lets get our folks home."

I looked over to where Elisa was helping the last victim to her feet and into a stumbling walk.  Six.  We saved six.  More than we expected...  I looked down at Mellichae and felt the Ancient One, safe at last, humming in the back of my mind.  "Lets go home."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: