Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: Reunion  (Read 18092 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 04:33:39 AM »

Poor Mellichae...that guy was a major mess...didn't seem to have a plan of his own apart from getting to the Ancient One, I suspect even if he had opened it he would not have known what to do next and instead flopped off to some other crazy scheme...he seems more insane than evil...but then there is the danger, someone that crazy with abilities like that is in some way more dangerous that someone who is just dakrside evil due to their unpredictability.

And Karm...took another fair beating before he won, but it was a pretty close fight all things considered, shows just what a drain negating the enemy Song was.

Loved seeing the Siege Sabre in use, Two will be most happy he got a chance! where do they keep getting these follower from though...at least some were smart enough to run away this time! And good to see Arnor's POV for a bit.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 04:53:59 AM »

Yes, it was great to see something from Arnor's POV. And the "Mother" look was great. Grin

But other than the hilarity and pure awesomeness of this chapter, it was wonderfully written. You wrapped it up neatly as if this were the end, but we all know that is never the case, so I guess we will see where it leads us next. It was good to see Karm branching out in his fighting more. we know he is a master with his saber, but it is good to see that he is a master with other varieties of weapons as well. Great job.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »

There's a few bits and pieces yet... 

Mellichae - Yes, he was a mess.  He never really materialized as a fully fleshed character in my mind, and so it never really transmitted to the story, either.  One thing that's interesting about the "canon" version of this character (Lengends, he's not true Canon) is that his sole function seems to be to provide players of Star Wars Galaxies with a force-sensitive baddie that they could take down and take a document from.

From Wookipedia:  In Star Wars Galaxies, prior to the introduction of the New Game Enhancements of 2005, Mellichae ordered his Sith Shadows to constantly attack the village of Aurilia, Dathomir. Force-sensitive players of the game were required to locate and kill Mellichae, in order to proceed with the Padawan Trials.

Mellichae was removed from the game, along with Aurilia, when the New Game Enhancements of 2005 were implemented. He made a return to the game, appearing in the Aurilia jail when Aurilia was reintroduced as part of Chapter 7 in November 2007. Star Wars Galaxies was later shut down on December 15, 2011.

So in "canon" he never gets off of Dathomir, and anyone who would spend all his time attacking a single village with the sole objective that of killing force-sensitives has to be a little deranged.   :-/  I always imagined that he was given drive and purpose by Mendax, and when Mendax went down on Geonosis he only had what Mendax had given him to keep him going.  So in that sense LSG was 100% correct - he didn't have a plan.  He figured opening up the Ancient One would open possibilities.  And he really did want to kill Karmack and as many Mak'Tor as he could manage.

So...  Onward.  I have a story to finish.  LOL

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 05:03:08 PM »

Chapter 7: Transit

It was quiet on the Wayfarer and I knew I should be resting but I couldn't sleep.  I knew from experience that part of the restlessness was my mind replaying and cataloging the events of the last few days.  I was also conscious of some part of my sub-conscious chewing over the way Elisa's songs had sustained me during combat - and how to do that myself.  A healing motif on a sub-channel...  I should have thought of that one myself...  Maybe with a crystal like the Rur...

A small timer I'd set went off and I suppressed a groan as I removed the cold pack from my thigh and replaced it with a deep heating pad.  Force-energy and bacta could do a lot, but sometimes the best remedies were the oldest - alternate heat and cold and rest.  Bacta had taken care of the burn and cluster of cuts and abrasions on my thigh and a healing motif had dealt with the tendon and ligament damage, but for the muscle bruising simple was the best.  I sighed as the heat began to soak into my thigh and I propped the leg back up and went back to the computer file I was building.  Two would be coming out of his rest/recharge cycle in a couple of hours and I wanted to get the upload into his system before he was fully awake.

I chuckled as I re-read the screen.  Arnor had suggested it when we'd lifted off: Two's off-color language had been getting more and more frequent and ... esoteric.  A quick check confirmed that the droid had been going out of his way to add to his vulgar vocabulary.  He had written an internal sub-routine to select the best and most (in)appropriate comment for any situation.  When he'd started it was mainly humorous but it was getting out of hand.  But I didn't want to just strip him of the files or vocabulary lists.  First off, he'd just replace and rebuild them.  Second, while I didn't like the direction his vocabulary lists had taken the intention - to break tension with humor - was endearing.  And cute.

Besides, what fun would it be to just redact his vocabulary?

And so this project came to fruition.  Drawing on the Plays of the Bard from the ancient Coruscant past, I was replacing his 'comment generator' with a new one built from a wide array of insults taken from the Bard's collected works.  I had briefly considered using "The Collected Works of Illyiss" instead, but as hilarious as it would be for Two to suddenly start spouting poetry instead of curses I was pretty sure he'd just purge the whole thing and start over anyway.  With this, there was a good chance he'd see the humor himself and decide to keep it.

At least, that's what I hoped he'd do.

I finished the program and the uploader that would slice out the existing sub-routine and replace it with "Bard Baddie 101" instead and saved it all.  A few more clicks and it was into the droid's system.  "Well, that should make the next couple of days interesting at least..."

I sighed, took a long drink of my coffee, and leaned back in the chair. I was no closer to sleep than I had been. Hmm.  What else can I accomplish...  My eye landed on the pouch of programmed "Rur" copies we'd collected on our way out.  The pontite crystals still needed to be catalogued.  I picked up the pouch and spilled the crystals out onto a tray to begin the process...

Something dark, round and decidedly non-crystaline caught my eye.  "What is that..."  There were actually two on the tray, both midnight black, about an inch across and perfectly round.  I picked one up: It was utterly smooth to the touch but looked matte to the eye.  It seemed to absorb everything ... and it was incredibly heavy, as if made from a super-dense metal.

Or stone.

"Incredible..."

<<<<<<<<    >>>>>>>>

And so you'll not wonder - The Insult Generator!   http://insult.dream40.org/ and http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:27 PM »

Life as the token villain sucks...a punching bad for experience points in an RPG...at least you gave him some more air space...but I guess that is the thing about villains they all have a family and background somewhere presumably...what lead him down that path...a natural ability in the force combined with some kind of mental illness, subsequently exploited by Mendax till he's just the wreck Karmack had to put out of everyone's misery...Sad on every side.

Will be cool to hear some of Two's comment in the future with his new programming!  Looks like Karm found Mellichaes lost marbles!

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2018, 11:15:22 PM »

LOL  I have the image of the old guy "Toodles" from "Hook" wandering around...   "Lost ... lost ... lost ...   I've lost my marbles..."

*sigh*  Good memories.  "Oh dear.  A wall..."

"I found it!  My happy thought!"

"What is it?"

"This is all a dream and none of this is real!"

Love that movie...

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2018, 04:10:02 PM »

Wonderful chapters Karm!  I actually really like what you did with Mellichae (the single-minded sense of purpose, borderline insanity, and the tendrils of Mendax's legacy corrupting/trapping him).  I think that you did yourself a disservice in that you didn't "flesh him out."  Point of fact: if you hadn't come up with the concept of "Dark Singers," Mellichae would NEVER have been the opponent that he became!  Additionally, I think of him as an agent of entropy, and as such, acts accordingly.  Of course, such is easy to say of a savaged mind (not to mention as a reason for his sadism) but, well, this IS Star Wars: some things are just EVIL  Wink

You know, those DDCs are an incredible tactical addition, not to mention just too cool NOT to use  Grin  Hmm...maybe the Vhal'Dan can get some on loan...?

I would really enjoy seeing more Arnor POVs; she's an excellent partner/foil for Karm and the "Mother" look is one ALL of us can attest to  Wink

And I actually LIKE that we only "hear" Two through his interactions with Karm&Co; kind of like Han and Chewie.  Just IMO, but it allows for some great comedic moments.

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2018, 08:21:05 PM »

It was good to see Karm check himself, and see to the wounded FIRST, before he went in after Mellichae, and with help.  As well, the consideration to gather intel was a smart touch.  Looks like Karm started finding his center.  The single minded purpose of Mellichae, corrupted by the power he let mold him was an excellent depiction, and counter to the growth and reasoning of Karmack, and in the end, it's what got him killed.  The actual finish point for him, reminded me so much of the final duel between Maul and Obi-Wan in Rebels.  All overconfidence, believing the fight won already, only to collapse in realization after a very straight forward counter attack claims his life.  In such a simple, fitting way, I could feel the sense of relief from Mellichae as he accepted his end, and how it came, and surrendered to it. 

In the aftermath, the depiction of the decompression was spot on, and endearing.  While the brain processes most things like that during sleep, there is a certain amount of conscious unpacking, understanding that has to happen before that sleep can come, lest it be haunted and create mental demons of their own in confused dreaming.  Those stones... that material keeps making appearances, if it is what I think it is.  Seeds for later, I am inclined to think.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2018, 08:34:06 PM »

Chapter 8: Reunion

We were home.

The ramp lowered and our passengers began to disembark.  We'd rescued eight hostages, six healers and two Knights.  DNA samples we'd taken from both sites had matched to the other fourteen missing healers.  Everyone was accounted for.  I watched as Elisa and Jo'Anne led the charge toward the waiting families, gathered to greet their returning daughters.  Joy flooded the pad, but it was tempered by grief: for every reunion there were three that were gone and would not be coming back.  Their sorrow and loss overlaid the joy of the reunions, a reminder of the loss even in the joy of the moment.

I took Arnor's hand and squeezed.  She responded by leaning into me, her head against my shoulder.  She didn't say anything but her eyes shone as we watched the reunions.  I listened to our fugue for a moment, savoring the weave of melodies as we rested peacefully in the song.  "Its good to be home..."

A small party approached us from the side, unobtrusive and hidden from the tumult on the tarmac by the ship's bulk.  "Karm, Arnor, welcome home.  Thank you for bringing my kids home."

I turned and took the hand of Master Ju'Lus.  His eyes were red-rimmed and shined with his own tears, but his grip was steady and his eyes bright he gripped first my hand and then Arnor's.  "Sir.  I am only sorry that we couldn't save more."

Ju'Lus grasped my shoulders and spoke firmly.  "Do not apologize!  We didn't expect any to be alive.  Your quick actions have saved some, and that is better than none.  Rejoice in the victory!"

I nodded and tried to smile.  "I will try, Master Ju'Lus."

"Good!"  He turned and gave Arnor a hug.  "So, I must go and greet them.  Again: Thank you!"

We watched him approach the throng and I heard a sigh from behind me.  "He's been hammering himself since news of the first attack came in.  Hopefully this will help him banish some of his demons."

We turned and bowed to Kage Lo.  "Yes, Kage, I hope so." I said, turning back to watch again.

Kage Lo stepped up next to me, also watching.  "And what of you, Karm?  Did you purge your demons?"

I chuckled.  "Some of them.  But I may have found some all new ones.  I..."

"Karm!"

I turned and smiled genuinely as a massive pair of arms enveloped me and crushed me in a massive bear hug.  "Zearic!  Glad ... to see ... you..." I managed to grunt out. 

Zearic released me and gave Arnor a far more sedate hug.  "Glad you made it back.  I wasn't happy when you left without me."

I laughed.  "I figured you wouldn't be, but this was something I had to do on my own.  However..."  I reached into the small pouch on my belt.  "We found two of these with Mellichae's crystals.  I'm turning the crystals and one of them over to the Kage, but I though you might be interested in the second."  With a flip of the wrist I tossed one of the small, black marbles to Zearic, who snatched it out of the air. 

Opening his hand he stared at it, sucking in his breath as if he'd been punched.  "Incredible..."

<<<<<   >>>>>

I was deep in meditation, the force and song washing over and around me.  The pulse of power and rhythm, the flow of melody and harmony moved around me in their long, endless dance.  I was aware of them, but let them flow in the background.  The glowing mote of power that hovered before me had my full attention. 

It had taken me several hours to find all of the parts I needed.  I'd spent hours talking to Dorian and Ho'Li in the "gazebo" of the crystal on the way home, as well as spending a good amount of time with Eliza learning to duplicate the healing motif she'd used to counteract the damage done by the massive flow of force energies the Ancient One and other captured crystals allowed.  Using what I had learned I had found a way to incorporate the healing motif into my battle-song as a counter-melody.  But to work it had to have its own "channel".  Figuring that out had taken more time, but I was finally ready.

Slowly I lifted the Ancient One and floated it into the crystal chamber.  The Ancient One would once again be the primary crystal at the heart of my saber - but it would no longer be alone.  Following a pattern that Dorian had illuminated to me, I slowly worked in a trio of re-shaped pontite crystals.  Each of them carried the resonance pattern of the destroyed Rur crystal, and after shaping these I finally understood why the Rur had been the odd tear-drop ship it had been.  These three crystals could be bonded together into that same complex teardrop, but separate they formed a tripod between the Ancient One and power conversion cone in the hilt of the saber.  Their placement allowed them to act as supports and power flows - focusing lenses, as it were, for song-driven force energy, tuned to the Ancient One, and controlled by the Song.  In addition, the pontite primaries I'd used in my saber staff had also been re-worked and reshaped to form a control ring that would work in conjunction iht the diffusion blades that cradled the Ancient One.  Another of the Rur-infused pontite crystals would serve as the focusing crystal and through several lengthy and draining songs had been captured and programmed to channel both the primary energy of the battlesong as well as the counter-melody of the healing motif.

With all the crystals isntalled I inserted the lense array and adjusted it.  With the last pieces in place I slowly rotated the chamber, noting the alignments and making numerous small, finicky adjustments until everything fell into perfect tune, the resonance forming a glorious chord of reinforcing harmony in the song.  With a few final adjustments I locked everything down and assembled a light-weight outer chassis of songsteel designed to keep the inner chamber safe and intact.

Next came the power cells and converter system.  I gingerly slid the conversion cone and converter core into place, then locked the regulator around the core and engaged the locking rings.  With this, the power system, crystal chamber and emitter system were functionally one unit with everything locked down and in alignment.  I lifted the body - my old, familiar hilt body made of song-steel and poly-carbide alloy - and gently slid the new chassis in place.  It fit perfectly, locking into place with a satisfying metallic 'snick'.  Gently I set the saber down in my hand and opened my eyes.  A quick inspection verified that everything was as it should be, and I inserted a charged power cell into the bayonet lug and screwed the pommel into place over it.

Moment of truth...  Everything looked good, but there was a small chance, with all of the new crystal pathways, that the saber would not ignite properly.  Unfortunately there was only one way to find out if it was going to work and I felt like a youngling again as took a deep breath, held it, and depressed the ignition switch.

With a familiar 'woosh-hiss' the blade erupted in golden glory.  I did a few flourishes, watching it adn listening to it as I swung it through the first part of a Soresu orbit pattern.  The blade hummed contentedly, the variance nearly perfect.  There was more flicker to the blade's color due to the multiple crystals behind it but the blade itself was strong and stable.

OK.  We know that part works.  Now to test the other...  I stepped away from the construction table and walked out into the salle.  With a loud kia I threw myself into a force-enhanced forward roll, tucking myself around my blade while using the force to activate a dozen remotes.  Over the next half-hour I did my best to simulate the intensity of the fight with Mellichae and exceed it, adding remotes and increasing their speed while matching it myself.  By the end I was flying around the salle, my blade appearing as a solid wall of gold as I spun, rolled and dove across the mat.  I ended by going on the attack and knocking the drones off-line, knocking down over fourty of them in a few seconds time.

I stopped, my saber humming, and with a start I realized that my pulse was returning to normal, my breathing slightly elevated, but beyond that and a lightg sweat I felt...refreshed.  Calm. 

Whole.

I deactivated my saber and returned it to its familiar place on my belt.  It was late, and I suddenly felt the need to sleep.  Tomorrow I would begin training Arnor.  I needed to see if I could take what I had learned and teach another Knight how to replicate it.  I also needed to keep training with the sub-channels.  There were so many possibilities...

But first back home, a shower, and a bed.  I donned my robe and killed the lights, and I gave the Ancient One a pat as I left the facility. 

Welcome home

Many thanks for the awesome comments and feedback!  AS always, this wouldn't have been what it was without that input, opening possibilities and making me aware of threads that I hadn't properly considered.  Special shout-out to LSG and Illyiss, y'all made me THINK about what was happening, and that was a VERY good thing!

Hope you all enjoyed this.  There will of course be more.  :-)

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »

A very fine wrap up, as the emotional return envelops a grateful order, and Karm is properly reunited with the Ancient One, and begins putting the lessons he learned into practical use.  I am glad I could help, you give a good story to apply thought to.  Semi-interactive writing processes are fun. Smiley

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »

Yes!  SO glad to see Karm reunited with the Ancient One! And what a wonderful journey you took us on I doing so  Smiley

Even better: looks like Karm has a VERY powerful Vitreous weapon!  Something tells me he's going to need it too  Wink

On a more serious note, I like and appreciate that you took Karm on a bit of an introspective voyage as well.  Bravo!

A very fine wrap up, as the emotional return envelops a grateful order, and Karm is properly reunited with the Ancient One, and begins putting the lessons he learned into practical use.  I am glad I could help, you give a good story to apply thought to.  Semi-interactive writing processes are fun. Smiley
This is SO very true!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »

Back home, the shadow of Mellichae finally gone...and he's got his holocron/crystal/mentor back. Still that must've been a hard blow to the Mak'tor to have heir healers so abused...once word gets around...will they feel strengthened that KArm was able to end the threat, or vulnerable that they were put at risk in the first place...this must surely have implications for the Council of Balance to consider very deeply....

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2018, 09:59:51 PM »

Back home, the shadow of Mellichae finally gone...and he's got his holocron/crystal/mentor back. Still that must've been a hard blow to the Mak'tor to have heir healers so abused...once word gets around...will they feel strengthened that KArm was able to end the threat, or vulnerable that they were put at risk in the first place...this must surely have implications for the Council of Balance to consider very deeply....

Yup.   Expect some soon-to-appear interludes.  I have some ideas...  LOL

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: