Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: A Journey of PVC saber hilt making  (Read 19021 times)
Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 07:01:05 PM »

Another nice looking hilt there

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 07:02:12 PM »

Another nice looking hilt there

I appreciate it, Therion  Smiley

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 11:26:43 AM »

So Round 2, this one is the "Rampart", a Jedi saber.

I've decided that as I crank out new sabers I'm going to be experimenting with different techniques and designs for each and every one. This one has what I kind of thought was an Old Republic vibe to it with the aggressive looking emitter and coloring. It has a little bit of Bellicose inspiration in there, especially with the long and wide grooves on the pommel. I used a double wrap of leather on this one and spaced it out to give it a more rustic appearance like it's been replaced a few times with different pieces. Standard crystal window like you saw on the Blood Channel but this is clearly a blue blade saber with the crystal lending itself to that.

Bit of a close-up of the window, this crystal reflects the light much better than the red one (also because the blue LED is brighter.)

The emitter end, I made a few mistakes with the hacksaw while I was cutting the angle so I pulled the classic "make your mistakes look like battle damage." lol

And what it looks like on the backside. All business in the back, the party is in the front.

I have only two words Saso:

GOR-

GEOUS!

Truly incredible craftsmanship!  And looking at the saber, it evinced me of KOTOR as well  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 11:06:59 PM »

Had some spare time this past week and decided to try out something different, Youngling-sized sabers. Each one is about 7 inches long total.

Here's #1

For this one I experimented with 2mm craft foam to see how well I could get it to look like saber material. It kind of worked, I still think it's rather obvious that the grips and center collar isn't metal but it was worth a shot. I used some windshield wipers on the grip as well. This one was pretty much inspired by three actual sabers from the franchise. Petro's saber from the Clone Wars series, Anakin's, and Yoda's. Interestingly I think I'm stumbling upon the same lines of inspiration that the artists used because as I create I'm finding that many of the sabers share characteristics and certain lines. Oh, it also has a D-ring, that was my favorite part of it probably. Heh, it looks a bit like a rocket ship now that I look at it.

Close up on that really nice D-ring setup. I used a furniture leg end cap that fit perfectly inside the PVC tubing and then attached some sheet aluminum and put the D-ring on that.

I also put on a metal button and used the leftovers from the windshield wipers as the two rings around the collar. I really like slanted emitters so I went that route yet again, that is a near direct copy of Petro's saber.

Pretty simple blade plug, another furniture cap and a small rubber grommet to keep it simple.

Saber #2

For this one I went with a much more organic and earthy flavor. Natural twine for the grip (not the most comfortable grip, I admit) and a really long slanted emitter once again, with a cutout. Added a little bit of weathering to this one but not too much. It's a Youngling saber so I couldn't imagine it getting too battle scarred, I mean it isn't like the Jedi Temple will ever be attacked or anything...

For the pommel I wanted to try out grooves so I used a round metal file and went to town, weathering appropriately.

This is the new "blade cap" that I think will become my standard. Cobbled together with a few doodads that I think looked cool and as if a lightsaber blade would come from there.

Ain't they just adorable, lol  Grin

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 12:39:55 AM »

Very nice stuff there. Could also be 'shoto' hilts

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 02:00:12 AM »

Very nice stuff there. Could also be 'shoto' hilts

Thanks Therion, yeah I guess they kind of do qualify as Shotos.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »

Had some spare time this past week and decided to try out something different, Youngling-sized sabers. Each one is about 7 inches long total.

Here's #1

For this one I experimented with 2mm craft foam to see how well I could get it to look like saber material. It kind of worked, I still think it's rather obvious that the grips and center collar isn't metal but it was worth a shot. I used some windshield wipers on the grip as well. This one was pretty much inspired by three actual sabers from the franchise. Petro's saber from the Clone Wars series, Anakin's, and Yoda's. Interestingly I think I'm stumbling upon the same lines of inspiration that the artists used because as I create I'm finding that many of the sabers share characteristics and certain lines. Oh, it also has a D-ring, that was my favorite part of it probably. Heh, it looks a bit like a rocket ship now that I look at it.

Close up on that really nice D-ring setup. I used a furniture leg end cap that fit perfectly inside the PVC tubing and then attached some sheet aluminum and put the D-ring on that.

I also put on a metal button and used the leftovers from the windshield wipers as the two rings around the collar. I really like slanted emitters so I went that route yet again, that is a near direct copy of Petro's saber.

Pretty simple blade plug, another furniture cap and a small rubber grommet to keep it simple.

Saber #2

For this one I went with a much more organic and earthy flavor. Natural twine for the grip (not the most comfortable grip, I admit) and a really long slanted emitter once again, with a cutout. Added a little bit of weathering to this one but not too much. It's a Youngling saber so I couldn't imagine it getting too battle scarred, I mean it isn't like the Jedi Temple will ever be attacked or anything...

For the pommel I wanted to try out grooves so I used a round metal file and went to town, weathering appropriately.

This is the new "blade cap" that I think will become my standard. Cobbled together with a few doodads that I think looked cool and as if a lightsaber blade would come from there.

Ain't they just adorable, lol  Grin

TJ is right: those are PERFECT for shotos!  Regardless, fantastic craftsmanship Saso!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »

Thanks Dutchman  Cheesy

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »

How did I miss this?!?!? Absolutely gorgeous

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 06:53:46 PM »

Thanks Lady Kath!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 01:15:09 AM »

I'm very impressed by all of these creative display sabers and of your talent.  You might just be at the starting point for a smaller cosplay and kid's toy business.  Likely could sell them at open markets.  The very first one is my favorite if I had to choose.  Am curious about what your dremel skills would be like on an aluminum saber.  Smiley

point  Cool

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 01:29:43 AM »

I'm very impressed by all of these creative display sabers and of your talent.  You might just be at the starting point for a smaller cosplay and kid's toy business.  Likely could sell them at open markets.  The very first one is my favorite if I had to choose.  Am curious about what your dremel skills would be like on an aluminum saber.  Smiley

point  Cool

I appreciate the kind words Dauntless. Yeah I definitely plan on using my dremel to weather an Ultrasaber or two in the future. As far as selling, that'd be pretty cool, maybe someday  Smiley

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 09:27:09 PM »

Thank you Saso Is-kor. Very nice work. I guess I have a new hobby now. To the hardware store!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 12:11:15 AM »

Thank you Saso Is-kor. Very nice work. I guess I have a new hobby now. To the hardware store!

I appreciate the kind words, thank you!

Indeed, it is so addicting. Hardware stores have effectively taken over from craft stores when I was making these. Spend some time visiting all the different departments and getting ideas of what to use. There are just tons of options. Then post up what you make, we always love to see!  Smiley

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 06:18:53 AM »

I appreciate the kind words, thank you!

Indeed, it is so addicting. Hardware stores have effectively taken over from craft stores when I was making these. Spend some time visiting all the different departments and getting ideas of what to use. There are just tons of options. Then post up what you make, we always love to see!  Smiley

Will do. I've made hilts with stuff just lying around the house that were good enough friends wanted to buy them, so when I get a chance to spend a little , its on! Thanks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: