Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: A Journey of PVC saber hilt making  (Read 18902 times)
Witchpig
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 16

Judge me by my size, do you?

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 11:36:32 PM »

Wow! These are stunning! I used to make PVC sabers before I got US, but they were nowhere near the level yours are on! You are a truly creative person.

Initiate V3 LE
Dark Initiate V4
Apprentice V4 LE

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 10:27:29 PM »

Wow! These are stunning! I used to make PVC sabers before I got US, but they were nowhere near the level yours are on! You are a truly creative person.

Thank you kindly!  Smiley

Here's the next installment, the "Polar". I wanted to see what a thinner saber would look like using the 1 inch diameter PVC rather than the beefier 1.25 inch stuff. Painting was fun for this one. The entire thing was metallic blue for the base coat and then I used some gloss white spray paint on top. Unfortunately the clear coat at the end disagreed with that kind of spray paint so it bubbled and flaked off at some points, which I turned into more weathering.

All the hilt grooves were filed by hand which isn't particularly difficult but boy does it take some time and elbow grease. It also has a thumbscrew, first time I've tried that. Close up of the emitter, a quirky tri-pronged design which is a little off, dremel got away from me once or twice.

This was a kind of test for a slightly more aggressive color scheme on another very chilly saber. Coming soon.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 10:40:14 PM »

Nice work Saso, point to you for sharing.  Shocked Your sabers all look good. 

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 03:16:06 AM »

Definitely has potential there.
I like it

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »

Here's the next installment, the "Polar". I wanted to see what a thinner saber would look like using the 1 inch diameter PVC rather than the beefier 1.25 inch stuff. Painting was fun for this one. The entire thing was metallic blue for the base coat and then I used some gloss white spray paint on top. Unfortunately the clear coat at the end disagreed with that kind of spray paint so it bubbled and flaked off at some points, which I turned into more weathering.

All the hilt grooves were filed by hand which isn't particularly difficult but boy does it take some time and elbow grease. It also has a thumbscrew, first time I've tried that. Close up of the emitter, a quirky tri-pronged design which is a little off, dremel got away from me once or twice.

This was a kind of test for a slightly more aggressive color scheme on another very chilly saber. Coming soon.

Whoa! That one in particular is super slick! Looks like an R-2 tribute saber! Very Nice!

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 08:04:00 AM »

You could come pretty close to building that saber with parts from TCSS. For just the parts it would be $86 and you would have to cut the groves out of the emitter (unless you went with a 4 prong which they sell).

You could always build the body now and save for even your ready for the rest.

Great looking design.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 01:40:18 PM »

Yes I am liking this design Saso!  Plus the color scheme is fantastic!

You could come pretty close to building that saber with parts from TCSS. For just the parts it would be $86 and you would have to cut the groves out of the emitter (unless you went with a 4 prong which they sell).

You could always build the body now and save for even your ready for the rest.

Great looking design.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nice Tx!  Good advice  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »

Thanks tx_tuff, I think I'm a little ways away from constructing a real metal saber but that's really cool how the design is close from TCSS. Food for thought for the future, I suppose.  Wink

Thank you again for all the compliments and feedback guys.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 02:55:33 AM »

And, actually, they do have a couple of emitters that would be close to what you have here.
I know. I've used a couple

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2018, 10:22:34 PM »

Perhaps you have heard of the "Emperor's Hand"? Well this is the Wampa's Hand. The star of the show is genuine Wampa pelt for the grip which is very soft and cushioned for easy handling.

The underside:

Pommel:

I used metallic blue once again with some splash of metallic dark gray. Then some of Rub n' Buff for the added weathering. I originally wanted to go adding some white coloring in there, but decided on a slightly different look.

The blade plug:

This one sure was fun to make  Cheesy

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2018, 11:34:57 PM »

Looks cool.
I could see that one with a nice AB blade to go with it

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2018, 02:35:08 AM »

Perhaps you have heard of the "Emperor's Hand"? Well this is the Wampa's Hand. The star of the show is genuine Wampa pelt for the grip which is very soft and cushioned for easy handling.

The underside:

Pommel:

I used metallic blue once again with some splash of metallic dark gray. Then some of Rub n' Buff for the added weathering. I originally wanted to go adding some white coloring in there, but decided on a slightly different look.

The blade plug:

This one sure was fun to make  Cheesy

Excellent Saso!  I like the juxtaposition of the hilt with the pelt  Smiley

Looks cool.
I could see that one with a nice AB blade to go with it
Perfect idea TJ!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »

Thanks guys, one of these days when I get the Photoshop cranked up I'll give a blade or two to some of the hilts.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 01:09:12 AM »

Finally made something nice. I actually designed this particular saber to be my character's from my fan fiction, as apprentice to Plo Koon. It borrows heavily from his saber with a few other inspirations added in there. I haven't added a Covertec wheel so it isn't quite there yet but that's the last thing. Materials are mostly PVC with a few other things used. The emitter rings are bass wood, and the pommel is a combo of wood, foam, and PVC. I really hope to make a second saber one day and turn this design into an actual working saber with one of those preconstructed light/sound kits. Unfortunately the only PVC I can find is Schedule 40 and the inner diameter is too small to host any kits I've found.

Saso cast a sideways glance when he noticed Plo Koon’s hand creep towards the hanging lightsaber on his belt. The Padawan could feel the Force swirl around the room in a kind of emotional maelstrom, yet Plo’s demeanor seemed eerily tranquil—an immovable object inhabiting the eye of the storm. The calm was something foreign to the young Force-user, Saso felt his heart churning in his chest and a dull ache at the back of his mind warned him of what was coming. He hardly needed to tap into the Force to reveal the danger: the perfectly timed clang-clang of mechanical footsteps might as well have been a klaxon heralding their arrival.  
        The gang of battle droids spilled into the chamber in a wide circle, cutting off any chance of escape for the two Jedi but obediently refraining from opening fire until ordered to do so by some unseen commander.
        Saso rested a hand on his own saber and gripped it tightly.
        Colored silver with splashes of gold, several circular discs attached to the blade emitter, with a decorative, almost skeletal-looking pommel at its end; it appeared as an echo of his master’s own weapon. A wrap of tanned nerf leather providing excellent grip was the most obvious difference. Unusual material for a Jedi to use—being from an order that placed such sanctity on life in all its forms—but not explicitly forbidden.
        Years ago Saso had constructed the saber, lifting the various pieces into the air with his newfound Force abilities and failing multiple times until the correct combination of components and Kyber crystal were aligned properly. At that point the sum of the parts had felt alive somehow, a pure connection created between him and the crystal as it linked with his methods of tapping into the energy.
        Now it was different, the silver tube felt scalding beneath his tight grip, begging him to call upon its power to protect… even to destroy.
        Plo had now ignited his saber and Saso followed suit. The blue blade made its characteristic snap-hiss as it shot out and Saso twirled the lightsaber once before striking a wide battle stance. His master gave the silent order that the Padawan felt in his head and they both leapt forward.
        It was in these moments when he felt most conscious, most in tune with his emotions and the Force feeding into them. With a snarl he landed, dropped into a roll, and popping out of it cut a super battle droid cleanly in half, lubricant and oil droplets spraying into his face.
        Raising the blade upward deflected two shots harmlessly away. He ducked and spun in place as a barrage of crimson laser bolts sliced through the air where his head had been a moment before. Pulling the lightsaber’s hilt close to his chest, Saso extended it outward to allow the blade to skewer a droid through the slender, domed shape head. Teeth bared, he watched the beam of blue plasma melt the visual sensory module into slag until the bipedal figure collapsed in a smoldering heap.  

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 03:02:08 AM »

Interesting looking hilt

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: