Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: And what about Jon Favreau??  (Read 11711 times)
Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 06:20:20 PM »

Kathleen Kennedy is who makes the decisions.
Well ... more i read some news and more i think that Lucasfilm does not need Disney to make what it makes these last years ....

Yeah, seems like Disney is mostly just benefiting from franchise ownership, bankrolling, and motivating more action within the franchise (to justify the purchase).  Well, that and allowing it to destroy decades of perfectly good canon...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »

I'm not excited about this for 2 reasons.

1) I think we are reaching a point of SW oversaturation. As much as I love it, it will be very hard to keep up with all that they have planned. Part of what made the franchise so great is the rarity of it. Now that our supply is so high, will the demand drop? Possibly. I never thought I'd roll my eyes at the news of a new SW release, but when they announced Solo, a new trilogy that is separate from the main saga, possible Yoda and Obi-Wan movies, a new animated series, as well as a live action TV series, that's exactly what I did. Out of all that, the Obi-Wan and animated series were the only ones that excited me.

2) Let's be real, with ILM at their disposal, the directors and producers are going to want to rely on CGI for their effects, but they need to be very, very careful. The timing and filming schedule of TV shows don't allow for a lot of time to be spent on good CGI, and the result is often laughably disastrous. The gorilla in The Flash TV show is a good example. Merlin was also atrocious when it was first released. If the visuals are distracting, it makes it tough to watch, despite how good the content is. Viewers can't spend time thinking about how bad they are.

Can Favreau do a good job? Yes. Will Kennedy let him? Hopefully. Of course I'll watch it, but I'm holding my expectations and hopes really low at this point.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 07:16:12 PM »

I'm not excited about this for 2 reasons.

1) I think we are reaching a point of SW oversaturation. As much as I love it, it will be very hard to keep up with all that they have planned. Part of what made the franchise so great is the rarity of it. Now that our supply is so high, will the demand drop? Possibly. I never thought I'd roll my eyes at the news of a new SW release, but when they announced Solo, a new trilogy that is separate from the main saga, possible Yoda and Obi-Wan movies, a new animated series, as well as a live action TV series, that's exactly what I did. Out of all that, the Obi-Wan and animated series were the only ones that excited me.

2) Let's be real, with ILM at their disposal, the directors and producers are going to want to rely on CGI for their effects, but they need to be very, very careful. The timing and filming schedule of TV shows don't allow for a lot of time to be spent on good CGI, and the result is often laughably disastrous. The gorilla in The Flash TV show is a good example. Merlin was also atrocious when it was first released. If the visuals are distracting, it makes it tough to watch, despite how good the content is. Viewers can't spend time thinking about how bad they are.

Can Favreau do a good job? Yes. Will Kennedy let him? Hopefully. Of course I'll watch it, but I'm holding my expectations and hopes really low at this point.

Very good breakdown, and while I am excited to see what it is, I am also extremely hesitant. I don't know much about Favreau, but part of what made the other movies (R1 is a great example) so good, is that they were directed by mega-fans, who know SW inside and out. I'm hoping it'll be good, but I don't know if it will.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 01:39:23 AM »

Very good breakdown, and while I am excited to see what it is, I am also extremely hesitant. I don't know much about Favreau, but part of what made the other movies (R1 is a great example) so good, is that they were directed by mega-fans, who know SW inside and out. I'm hoping it'll be good, but I don't know if it will.

Favreau is the director that began the MCU...There is 100% no doubt what ever he does will be top quality...if he isn't hindered by KK.  As to what time frame, if there is the be an Old Republic series I would hope it would be in the Game Of Thrones showrunners trilogy.  Seems more fitting.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Dex_Meridian
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -5

Just a guy with a lightsaber, and some questions.

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »

Part of me is holding out hope this is a Dexter Jettster show where he lovingly crafts Cubano sandwiches. Korriban-o sandwiches? This comedy bit was better in my head.

Seriously, though. It's time they actually start using the timeline a little more, so a far-flung past, like a KOTOR setting, would be appreciated. Not everything takes place in the last 30 years.

"Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The  future...the past. Old friends long gone."

Dark Initiate V4 - Adegan Silver (soon to be "Torment")

Lord Vaalic
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 07:46:50 PM »

Years ago they discussed a live action of Star Wars on HBO that was based on Jabbas gang, sort of Sopranos in space type thing. I heard they had almost the first full season written, but then it was sold to Disney.

There is so much content, it has potential to be a really good show

There is no light side, there is no dark side. There is only the force. Jedi and Sith are two sides of the same coin. One paralyzed by fear of emotion, and one ruled and destroyed by it.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 10:30:38 AM »

Apparently the news is his show will be set 7 years after ROTJ

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 08:31:10 AM »

Part of me is holding out hope this is a Dexter Jettster show where he lovingly crafts Cubano sandwiches. Korriban-o sandwiches? This comedy bit was better in my head.

Seriously, though. It's time they actually start using the timeline a little more, so a far-flung past, like a KOTOR setting, would be appreciated. Not everything takes place in the last 30 years.

I agree. they need to go way back. KOTOR era would be awesome.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 07:00:06 PM »

Do you have a link?

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »

Do you have a link?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/11/17344260/star-wars-series-jon-favreau-live-action-disney-streaming-time-period

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »

Thanks a lot Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 09:51:51 PM »

Honestly, my main worry with this plan is that we know the beginning and end points.  And what will we see?

A New Republic that never really happens - and gets destroyed as a side-show in The Force Awakens.
A New Jedi Academy ... that we know will burn, the padawans dead, the last Jedi Master driven into hiding by his failure.
And ... what? 

Yeah.  I'm sorry, I just cannot get excited about a show that will probably be built around the criminal elements of the galaxy.  Kennedy has destroyed all the heroes, and honestly it wasn't for the fact that the light saber is the single most iconic and absolute coolest thing ever invented Star Wars would already be dead.  :-/

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »

Honestly, my main worry with this plan is that we know the beginning and end points.  And what will we see?

A New Republic that never really happens - and gets destroyed as a side-show in The Force Awakens.
A New Jedi Academy ... that we know will burn, the padawans dead, the last Jedi Master driven into hiding by his failure.
And ... what? 

Yeah.  I'm sorry, I just cannot get excited about a show that will probably be built around the criminal elements of the galaxy.  Kennedy has destroyed all the heroes, and honestly it wasn't for the fact that the light saber is the single most iconic and absolute coolest thing ever invented Star Wars would already be dead.  :-/
I'm inclined to agree with Karm.  As I previously stated, what they did with Luke was especially egregious; he was criminally misused.  From the original trilogy, he had this untapped potential that even as a kid I wanted to learn more about.  Then came "Heir to the Empire" and the rest of the (then) EU (now Legends).  Granted, a lot of EU books are...not good.  But some are extremely enjoyable.  And they show at least the potential of what could have been.
Funny thing is: the stories that Karmack, Lord_S_Gray, Taegin Roan, TheDrunkenConsular, and Illyiss are producing in the Fan Fiction section are superior to anything that has been associated with SW since...the Original Trilogy, really.  I really cannot recommend enough that any and everyone check them out.
THOSE stories are the spiritual successors that the Saga should have been  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »

Some could consider that as necroposting but i imagine there is no need of create a new topic.

So, we have a name ... The Mandalorian and we know that George Lucas visited the studio to meet Jon Favreau.

Are you exited as i am by waiting for this show?

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 05:06:35 PM »

Some could consider that as necroposting but i imagine there is no need of create a new topic.

So, we have a name ... The Mandalorian and we know that George Lucas visited the studio to meet Jon Favreau.

Are you exited as i am by waiting for this show?

I'm interested and slightly optimistic...but alas It will be a while before I see it...if ever.  I am already paying for 2 streaming services...not able or willing to take on a third.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: