Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Alderaan  (Read 1618 times)
Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -139

« on: March 11, 2018, 06:38:41 AM »

Alderaan 3645 BBY/ 8 ATC

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Alderaan
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alderaan

Alderaan is a mountainous world of lush forest and grasslands that is ruled by an assembly of noble houses. The world has long been admired for its wealth and culture and Alderaan was a founding member of the Republic.

Now Alderaan is a planet torn apart by civil war, as the Republic and the Empire support various factions vying for the throne. The assembly of noble houses that used to rule Alderaan are now at war, the Palaces and fields that were once pristine are now riddled by blaster fire and the bodies of soldiers that support the various factions now lie dead on the battlefields.

Early yesterday morning an air-borne toxin was released in the market square of the capital city of Aldera, so far local security have not been able to find the source of the poison. Lord Maxwell Trethewey, head of the House of Trethewey, has contracted with a group of unaffiliated private contractors to investigate the incident. His main concern is that either forces for the Republic or the Empire have attempted to frame the other for the incident in order to pull Alderaan closer to joining their side. Trethewey has appointed Lieutenant Marion Chapman of his personal house forces to help his independent contractors with anything they may need for the mission.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marion straightened the collar of her uniform as the first speeder approached, this was her first major assignment since she was given the rank of Lieutenant and she wanted to make sure everything went as planned. She had excelled at the academy but Marion knew that to most of the soldiers in House Trethewey that meant little next to the experience they had earned on the battlefield.  Lord Trethewey trusted her with this mission but she did know why. The Halls of the great House and the barracks were full of whispers and rumors but no answers.

“Good Morning!” Marion shouted to be heard over the noise of the speeders, “I am Lt. Chapman of the House of Trethewey, Lord Trethewey has sent me aide you in your investigation, by his command you are to report to me.”

Marion motioned for the group to follow her, “We should get moving immediately, the market is less than half a mile from here so we are on foot now. I’ll explain the situation as we go.”

Without looking to see if they were following she started moving to the square, “Early yesterday morning shortly after the open market started, some kind of air-borne toxin was released. It spread quickly and within minutes over one hundred people were infected.”

“The first symptoms came on quickly, a sudden fever, dizziness, headaches and sore throats. Within an hour of the outbreak we had people bleeding from their noses, eyes, and ears. Inside of two hours we had thirty dead.”

Marion let out a sigh, “As of this morning we have ninety dead and the remaining ten are not likely to survive. But no one else has been infected; it seems to be isolated to people that were standing in a one hundred by one hundred foot square in the market.”

It was odd walking into an empty market at noon, on a normal day the paths would be crowded and one was barely able to talk over the noise of the vendors hawking their goods, Marion frowned, “We have the area where people were infected roped off here, but we have found nothing, you are free to use whatever means you find necessary to investigate.”

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Rough Knight
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »

::Barl, Coynite, Mercenary::
:: near Market Square, Aldera, Alderaan::

Barl continued to stretch and look around as the speeder slowed to a halt. While the bench seat he occupied was smaller than was comfortable for him it was considerably better than the furniture in the accommodation he had been provided with. Let alone the cramped conditions in the shuttle before that.

The Coynite had only been on Alderaan for a few days and he was glad to be outside, the planet was truly beautiful, reminiscent of his own world Coyn only here the mountains were taller and snow covered. Barl had come to Alderaan on behalf of the Coynite Mercenary Guild who had received a number of applications from various factions involved in the ongoing civil war for mercenary support.
It was Barls task to determine firstly if the factions were legitimate organisations and secondly which faction or house to support, as the Mercenary Guild was unwilling to support opposing sides and risk Coynite fighting Coynite and the subsequent feuds that would bring.
It was a task that Barl considered himself ill-suited for, sitting in meetings listening to the whining and lies of the various applicants. The system of Houses on Alderaan was not so different to Coyn and as far as Barl could see the Houses would be better off each nominating a champion and duelling for the right to rule.

Fortunately a message had come for Barl to do what he considered to be real work. House Trethewey had contracted some investigators to look into an attack on non-combatants and Barl being already in Aldera was to accompany the investigators as a security precaution. Aside from being legitimate work it would better allow him to assess which House if any would be most appropriate for the guild to hire warriors to.
 Barls was the last speeder in the group and he had just caught up as they started to make their way to the market on foot. He listened to the female Human Lieutenant describe the attack on the market square.

“Kzah! {poision} In the market!” growled Barl “this is the work of an Af’Harl!” {cowardly deceiver{also worst Coynite curse}}.

None of the other beings new the Coyn language and none replied. So Barl continued to listen to the lieutenants description of the casualties until they reached the roped off Market square. 

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »

::Lt. Marion Chapman::

Marion watched the large mercenary, she wasn’t quite sure what species he was, but his size itself was imposing. She suppressed a frown, she should have had full dossiers on all the people working under her but Lord Trethewey had not supplied her with anything. Perhaps that was the point, a test to see if she would gather her own information and use her own connections to get what she needed. If it had been a test she had failed, and now she was left to ask questions and risk exposing her ignorance.

“You,” Marion said pointing at the Coynite, “I apologized but I do not recognize that language, is there something that you are seeing that we need to know of?”

Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Rough Knight
Knight Templar

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 08:25:37 PM »

::Market Square, Aldera, Alderaan::

Barl bleakly surveyed the market square as he climbed over the surrounding barrier. The investigators were slightly ahead of the Coynite, three humans, a protocol droid and an Alien of a species that Barl didn’t recognise. The Alien was standing with his back to him so that Barl had the unpleasant view of the back of its bald and bulbous head.

Barl scanned around looking for threats, a large tower past the South Western corner of the market that had sustained some air-raid damage had the best potential for snipers so the Coynite began to position himself close to the investigators. Screening them as best he could from the tower with his size. The ten house Trethewy  soldiers that had accompanied them had fanned out and seemed to be making a professional job of making sure the area was secure. While a pair of astromech droids trundled about scanning the area for explosives or other threats. All in all the site was as safe as could be expected.

Recalling the stories of chemical and biological attacks during the civil war on Coyn during the time of his Grandfather, Barl muttered the occasional Coynite curse and prowled about close to the investigators.

Suddenly he heard a voice it was the female Lieutenant from house Trethewy who was leading the operation.

“You” she said pointing at Barl “I apologise but I do not recognise that language, is there something that you are seeing that we need to know of?”

On Coyn addressing someone as “you” and pointing at them in such a manner would have been a sure way to create a situation that would end in a duel. Barl suppressed his anger at the humans rudeness, he tried to remember the words of the old guild master the day he first left Coyn for Elrood. “The Aliens who employ us have little true honour so it is not surprising they can offer little respect.  You would not duel with a child who insulted you, so take their credits and tolerate their ignorance”.

It seemed to Barl the  Lieutenant was trying to reinforce that she was in charge of the operation, an exercise which to Barl highlighted her insecurity and weakness. He walked slowly towards her and loomed over her. in truth she was not much bigger than a Coynite child who had seen no more than ten or twelve campaigning seasons, which made it easier to adhere to the Guild Masters words.

It is what I don’t see here that stands out to me” said Barl in heavily accented basic.

“Unless it is targeted, an attack like this type is a message, but it is hard to see what the message is. Fear me? This is what I am capable of?  Despise those that have made me your enemy? To release this….Kzah…. what you call………. Toc’Zin” Barl struggled with the word in basic before resuming.

“Even your species is revolted by such weapons, but if the message is fear why is it not clear who to fear, no one has claimed this as their own”.

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:13:53 AM »

:: Lt. Marion Chapman ::

Marion resisted the urge to step backwards as the large being stepped towards her, Coynite she thought to herself as she remembered some of her studies, not a species to upset. She shook her head as the Coynite asked if anyone had claimed the attack, “Not yet no.”

She studied the larger face in front of her, “but I fear you are right, this appears to be a message, a message to people of Aldera, and Alderaan, and I doubt it will be the last.”

“I will be honest with you,” Marion paused a moment to think before continuing, “I have not investigating anything like this before, if you have any suggestions on what we should do next I will take them. Oh and yes you are right it is a toxin, that was released Mr. I’m sorry I wasn’t fully briefed on your name.”

Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Rough Knight
Knight Templar

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »

Barl gave the human Lieutenant a hard look, she seemed out  of her depth, but was prepared to ask for advice which was something few Coynites would do in the same situation. In an odd way  Barl respected her frankness about the situation which he considered courage of a sort.

“My name is Barl Been’Jarr Taaws Be’Hamman En’Har Yu’Ra Toral, I am a Captain of the Coynite Mercany Guild here on Alderaan to negotiate a contract. I have also served as a bodyguard to His Majesty Arl’Toral and am offering this service to these investigators” Barl made a sweeping gesture encompassing the investigation team and its droids.
“I know not of the ways of a…Arf’Harl…er…Cow’Ard  that would commit this kind of crime but I know much of war.”

Lt. Chapman returned Barls gaze still waiting for his recommendations.

“Firstly” he continued “is this really an act of war or is it criminals fighting one another? Who were the victims and who were their families was this a targeted attack. Was this an assassination?”

“If it was not criminals, then, I have been sitting in meetings these last few days hearing the submissions of the allies of House Thul and those of House Organa. You will know your own politics better than I but ultimately one or the other of these factions and by default the Repulic or the Sith Empire will be blamed. Strangely the responsibility for determining which has fallen on one unexperienced in these matters” Barl let the Lieutenant consider the implications of this.

Just then one of the droids started chirping excitedly and one of the investigation team, the Alien that Barl could now identify as one of the grotesque Bith with their bald heads, big black eyes and facial features crammed into the bottom quarter of its face, came rushing over.

Barl did the best he could not to look at the Bith as it (Barl was unable to determine if it was male or female) addressed them.

“Leiutenant Chapman we have found something”

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:29:16 AM »

:: Lt. Marion Chapman::

Chapman listened to the Coynite, he seemed knowledgeable and knew the major players in the game but he wasn’t a native and would not be as wrapped up or committed to one side in this ongoing feud.

Marion quickly tapped a few questions into her data pad, requesting the names of those killed, there relations and their associations. Barl could be right, their identities may lead them to the group behind this.

A Bith, Ensign D’ino, she believed rushed towards her, she held up her hand towards the Ensign and looked towards Barl, “I have requested information on the victims and all their associations as you suggested, we should have the information within a few moments.”

Marion turned back towards the Bith, “Ensign D’ino, what have you found?”

Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Rough Knight
Knight Templar

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:51:14 PM »

The Bith held up a small clear bag, Barl leaned downwards to get a closer look. It appeared to be a small piece of torn paper with silver backing and an odd stain around the edge that gradually changing from dark purple to light brown closer to the tear.

“We believe this is part of the substances delivery system” reported the Bith. “The chemical residue on it contains at least three strong toxins, a powerful anticholinesterase that caused nerve damage, a Dibromide compound that attacks mucal membranes a third as yet unknown compound that causes haemorrhaging.”

Barl found this statement difficult to follow and for a moment assumed the Bith had lapsed into its own language, then Lt. Chapman replied.
“that would certainly match the symptoms of the casualties, where did you find it?”

“This was found over there, near that droid” replied the Bith, pointing in the direction of a scanning droid between two of the market stalls.
“The substance is inert now but we have been able to trace it from the point where we located this” continued the Bith waving the bag. “to over there where the highest concentration is present.” The Bith then pointed at a spot where one of the market stalls was sitting crooked and several boxes of produce lay scattered on the ground.

Barl guessed the distance between the two spots was around eight meters, so not far from where the chemical was opened to where most of it was released.
“then it is likely that whoever released the chemical died there then?” asked Barl pointing at the crooked stall.

The Bith looked up at Barl and thought for a moment before answering. “It’s possible......... the substance likely had a high melting point and low boiling point so if it was kept cool it would be in a solid state and safe, but at air temperature it would vaporise and spread quickly, it is possible that it could have been placed in someone’s basket and the culprit could have escaped in the short time it took to warm up.”

The protocol droid and one of the humans had joined the group now.

“The probability of the delivery system being planted on a shopper in the market is approximately 1 in 12” the droid chirped.

“and the chance of the culprit releasing it themselves and being amongst the casualties?” Asked Lieutenant Chapman.

“1 in 257” replied the droid.

Barl was annoyed at having his theory discredited.

“and the chance of the Del’Hiv’Aery Sis’Tum being a droid” Growled the Coynite.

“1 in 40” replied the droid unfazed.

“What about these cameras then?” asked Barl pointing at the security cameras mounted on poles at several points in the market square.

“The cameras give coverage 81.02% of the market” chirped the droid thinking it was still being addressed.

“Obviously that was one of the first things we checked, unfortunately the area where the concentration of casualties was greatest is obstructed from view by that awning” Added Lieutenant Chapman “that being said, if the initial release point was where this piece of evidence was found’ she indicated toward the bag. “It might fall right on the edge of the viewpoints for cameras 1-R or 2-W”.

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 01:50:04 PM »

Marion followed along with Ensign D’ino and Barl’s conversation filling in the gaps when they were needed. From what D’ino was saying this seemed to be a higher level of sophistication than she had previously thought. The makeup and method of the poison was above the level of petty thugs are even most houses, if a local was behind it they most likely  had to hire someone, and if it wasn’t a local, then they most likely had the Empire to blame.

“I’ll have the cameras checked again to make sure we did not miss anything from this area,” Marion began as her data pad chirped and a list of names and associations started to fill the screen. “Interesting, I have the list of victims that we have been able to identify, and we have associations to the main warring houses, we even have some Republic and Imperial visitors that are on the list.”

Marion frowned and paused for a moment, “The only thing that I don’t see are any known criminals, none of the major syndicates or cartels have a named linked to them.”

Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Rough Knight
Knight Templar

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »

Barl listened to the report of who the casualties in the market had been. One hundred random beings had been killed or injured, seemingly covering all of the warring factions and both the Republic and Empire as well. Yet no-one known to be associated with any of the major criminal organisations had been harmed. Barl did not know Alderaan well enough to know if this was significant or co-incidental.

“It would seem to me” said the older of the two Human investigators, a slightly overweight, balding male in his mid 50s. ”that the motivation of this attack was more likely political, than the act of a criminal organisation.” He held up his hand to stop the droid from giving its mathematical opinion on the likely motive of the attack.
“Then if it was a political” attack said the younger of the two Human investigators, a tall skinny male in his early 20s. “It’s not local, none of the houses would do this. It has to be outside forces……….the Empire for my bet”.

“Let’s not jump to conclusions” said Lieutenant Chapman, but the expression on her face made Barl think she was possibly of the same opinion as the younger Human Investigator. The Coynite considered the situation; he had worked for the Republic and broadly agreed with their philosophy. The problem was that the Republic was not able to live up to its ideals, believing in concepts such as mercy for fallen enemies made it weak and hypocritical and robbed it of honour as far as Barl was concerned. No; the Republic would not sanction an attack of this kind, but rouge elements or groups in its employ might.  The Republic was too weak to properly control all of its elements. Some groups or individuals within the republic may have supported this attack particularly if the Empire ended up being implicated.

Barl looked at the younger investigator, if he was correct, why would the Empire deliver such an attack? Presumably, as an excuse for an increased presence or military intervention on Alderaan? Barl did not know the answer. The Empire was a bit of a mystery to him. If half of what he had read of the Empire was true there was no depth they would not stoop to fulfil their goals. Yet they were correct and up front in the fact that only from strength could the Galaxy be governed and only the strong were fit to govern it. The problem of course was strength needed to be moderated by honour but the empire did not seem to believe in moderation.

As the group stood, each in their own thoughts the communicator of Ensign D’ino the Bith buzzed. He checked it and gave a puzzled sigh “It seems as if the third toxin used in the substance, the one we have not been able to properly identify, has never been recorded on Alderaan before. The toxicology lab have described it as military grade and are checking with the Republic records to see if has been used on other planets.”

The group stood in silence, it seemed that the case was becoming more complicated and far reaching with every new fact that came to light.

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »

Rubbing her temples with her thumb and middle finger Marion thought about the situation as the silence grew so did her concerns. This would be a bold move even for the Empire if they were involved they most likely would have used a third party so they could shift the blame as needed and heaven help them if the Republic was involved but that would most likely mean a splinter faction or a third party being used as well.

“Men continue you investigation and let me know the moment anything comes up,” Chapman said as she addressed her officers. Turning to Barl she motioned for him to walk with her, “My men are going to continue analyzing the evidence and looking for patterns but from what we have now I would to go talk to some of the shadier elements of Aldera, how are you on questioning suspects, would you consider it to be a talent that you are skilled in?”

Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Rough Knight
Knight Templar

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 08:11:55 PM »

In the pause in conversation Barl studied the surrounding area looking for potential threats to the investigative team which was his primary reason for being there. All was quiet, the house Trethey soldiers seemed more than capable of handling the security situation and Barl began to wonder if he was really required as part of the team. He knew the daily rate House Trethewy were paying for his presence and it wasn’t how he would choose to spend his credits if he was in their position. Silence had crept over the investigators as they waited for their information requests to be returned to them.

Leiutenant Chapman rubbed her temples which Barl assumed was a human stress reaction.

Then she said “Men continue your investigation and let me know the moment anything comes up”. She turned to the Coynite “My men are going to continue analysing the evidence and looking for patterns but from what we have now I would like to go to talk to some of the shadier elements of Aldera, how are you questioning suspects, would you consider it to be a talent you are skilled in?”

Barl considered the question for a moment before he answered, he had never questioned a criminal before, in his mind most criminals were Arf’ Harl without honour and were only fit for death. He had however questioned a few prisoners of war, again he considered these to mostly be without honour, as death on the battlefield was always preferable to captivity, but on occasion they had provided useful military information.
Reluctant as ever to admit his own knowledge was less than extensive  Barl carefully framed his answer.

“On Kashyyyk I questioned a few prisoners, slavers and mercs mostly when I was contracted to the Republic anti-slavery task force there. They told us what we needed to know, I guess knowing that they were going to talk to me if they didn’t talk to the officers helped a bit.” Barl said standing at his full height and sporting a ferocious looking grin. It was a dramatic and intimidating contrast to the stooped posture he had to adopt when speaking with humans.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: