Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Textured Paint for a MR Darth Vader Emitter Shroud?  (Read 2108 times)
Silent_Saber77
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -20

"May the Force be with you..."

« on: March 16, 2018, 12:29:31 AM »

Hello fellow saber enthusiasts, I could use some assistance Cheesy.  I came across a Master Replicas Darth Vader lightsaber for a decent price and grabbed it, mainly because I wanted that beautiful emitter shroud with the D-ring to go on my Ultrasabers "Chosen One".  Long story short, I got the MR saber, got the emitter shroud off, and after some dremeling it looks fantastic on my "Chosen One".  Here is the issue though:  While dremeling it earlier, it fell of a table and the textured paint chipped off of one corner.  Having OCD, that chipped corner is all I see when I look at it now.  I found a pinterest picture where somebody was painting a Vader emitter shroud with the exact paint I need, but unfortunately the paint being used isn't identified.  Anybody here have any idea at all what paint this could be, or of any other paint I could use to match this texture?

My Collection:
"Fallen" in Arctic Blue w/ Obsidian v4

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:31 AM »

If you head to a place that sells paint check out the paint look that they typically label as "hammered." That is kind of the design that I see there. On your first pic though it almost looks like it was some sort of treatment to the plastic rather than paint... not completely sure.

Edit: Found a link for you https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722R3XRM/ref=asc_df_B0722R3XRM5404690/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0722R3XRM&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198091577722&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17789355540770594222&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007196&hvtargid=pla-348446496206

Also look for any paint that is labeled as "textured" and that can also be a good section to check at say your local home improvement store. A lot of time you can search for a particular spray paint and find reviews and projects with people who have used it so you can see exactly what it looks like.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Silent_Saber77
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 01:18:32 AM »

Thanks for the reply!  I actually went to 5 or 6 stores tonight looking for a paint that may work.  The hammered caught my eye, but the texture just doesn't look right to me, not as gritty.  I also found a Rust-Oleum textured black, but it was fine-textured and didn't have the right roughness to it.  I'm looking up some pics of the Matte-Black Hammered right now though, it's pretty close after seeing some pics of it after being used.

My Collection:

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 02:15:15 AM »

Thanks for the reply!  I actually went to 5 or 6 stores tonight looking for a paint that may work.  The hammered caught my eye, but the texture just doesn't look right to me, not as gritty.  I also found a Rust-Oleum textured black, but it was fine-textured and didn't have the right roughness to it.  I'm looking up some pics of the Matte-Black Hammered right now though, it's pretty close after seeing some pics of it after being used.

Yeah that texture looks almost gritty like sand. Does it have a really gritty texture like sandpaper?

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 05:54:21 AM »

Nice mod. But to me the first pic loos like the shroud is totally shattered like on the very top of it x.x If its the removable blade piece then yeah I think its more of a rough kind of finish

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Silent_Saber77
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:58:58 PM »

Nice mod. But to me the first pic loos like the shroud is totally shattered like on the very top of it x.x If its the removable blade piece then yeah I think its more of a rough kind of finish

It's actually not shattered at all Zren Tobas, that's where the original paint on the Master Replicas emitter shroud has chipped off, which is VERY easy to do as I found out.  I do have an update on my progress on this so far though.  I sanded down the MR emitter shroud and decided to try the Matte-Black Hammered spray paint on it.  After a couple of coats it looked absolutely nothing like what it was supposed too, it ended up being a dark grey color with literally no texture to it at all.  I decided to give it an additional light coat of flat-black Krylon and also added a larger D-ring to it.  It doesn't have the texture to it that I was hoping for and I may have to do another thing or two to it to make it fit absolutely perfect, but I'm happy enough with it for now.

My Collection:

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 02:39:21 AM »

Looks like you got very good results there

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 03:02:03 AM »

I'm with Therion Jinn, that looks great!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Silent_Saber77
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:54:27 PM »

Thanks guys!   Grin

My Collection:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: