Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Master Venturous  (Read 17445 times)
Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 02:54:28 PM »

Sorry, have to chime in hear.

The " obi - ani " has been known as the Little Flower for literally thousands of years in the Arts of Shaolin. It is a precursor technique to the Plum Blossom.

We learn 64 variations of the little flower before you even start the Plum Blossom.

Just couldn't stay quiet anymore Smiley Smiley

I was waiting for you to say something 😆

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 03:03:57 PM »

Smiley

It's in other arts as different names. That's why I typically stay out of conversations such as these. Everyone comes from a different walk of life.

Funny thing, when something gets popular. It shows up in other arts and that art will claim they created it. I see it all the time. The Krav Maga Art( great art by the way ) does this quite a bit. It's modified " Cave man " Kali!! I may be biased due to my background.  Grin Grin

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »

So we're all in agreement that there are other options than "Obi-Ani" to use.  Tongue

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 10:37:58 PM »

Clearly!  This thread became one big, hilarious, collective nerve point🤣 made for good reading, though!🤙🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 12:27:01 AM »

What's that spin called where you do a rotation in front of yourself then one behind, and another in the opposite direction, before returning to the front again - sort of?

Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 12:30:08 AM »

🤭
So soon back at that tender wound!
🤣

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 01:35:07 AM »

What's that spin called where you do a rotation in front of yourself then one behind, and another in the opposite direction, before returning to the front again - sort of?

Tongue

Well I can tell you one thing, it isn't the Obi-Ani. Grin Wink

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 08:04:31 AM »

Sorry, have to chime in hear.

The " obi - ani " has been known as the Little Flower for literally thousands of years in the Arts of Shaolin. It is a precursor technique to the Plum Blossom.

We learn 64 variations of the little flower before you even start the Plum Blossom.

Just couldn't stay quiet anymore Smiley Smiley

Exactly! Please, never stay quiet when you have an opinion to share. You will see I couldn't if I wanted to. Wink
 I noticed this as well. We are all a bunch of style thief's in my opinion. Little flower sounds awesome too. I have been watching a lot of Shaolin videos and movies to get inspiration and ideas to apply to the lightsaber. POINTS!

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 08:11:53 AM »

So we're all in agreement that there are other options than "Obi-Ani" to use.  Tongue

Indeed! Cheesy

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 08:31:44 AM »

By the way, I was afraid if I brought this up I would be shunned since it is the most common term used for this move in the Lightsaber community.
I'm just stoked that it seems fairly universal that "Obi-Ani" sucks as far as a name for it.  Smiley I'm not saying anyone should stop using it if that is what they like or if it's easier for people to understand. If I end up good enough to make tutorials or something one day, I will never personally use it.
 You guys are all awesome! this has been entertaining as hell. Grin
Let me add to the debate if I may just for fun. Any one else notice that Anakins technique (which everyone seems to agree looks better) brings his saber straight up along his spine? Every tutorial I have seen says not to do this. I personally know it can cause a LOT of pain if done too fast too soon, but I tend to think it is THE proper looking way to do it.

Discuss please. Wink

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »

Let me add to the debate if I may just for fun. Any one else notice that Anakins technique (which everyone seems to agree looks better) brings his saber straight up along his spine? Every tutorial I have seen says not to do this. I personally know it can cause a LOT of pain if done too fast too soon, but I tend to think it is THE proper looking way to do it.

Discuss please. Wink

By bringing the saber along the spine, there is a lot more movement to bring the saber forward again. This not only can slow the move down, but it also takes away from the smoothness of the move and puts unnecessary strain on the shoulder. The heart and soul of this move is how the saber moves in a circular motion the entire time. By having the saber along the spine, the rotation is broken because the hilt is already behind the back, rather than by the hip where it rotates from. To be able to do the move the same way with any kind of smoothness, you would have to turn your body 90 degrees or more to allow the saber to release back to the front, which is just a waste of movement.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2018, 10:02:15 AM »

By bringing the saber along the spine, there is a lot more movement to bring the saber forward again. This not only can slow the move down, but it also takes away from the smoothness of the move and puts unnecessary strain on the shoulder. The heart and soul of this move is how the saber moves in a circular motion the entire time. By having the saber along the spine, the rotation is broken because the hilt is already behind the back, rather than by the hip where it rotates from. To be able to do the move the same way with any kind of smoothness, you would have to turn your body 90 degrees or more to allow the saber to release back to the front, which is just a waste of movement.

They call him MASTER Venturous for a reason Y'all. Save your body, joints and tendons by heading his words!

Before finding the indispensable teachings of this man and Darth Cephalus, I had unfortunately already developed this bad habit on top of already having chronic joint and nerve pain. I can hardly pick up a glass of water with my right hand for the last week and a half. But everyone thinks I look cool when I do ECLIPSE spins right?  Undecided 
JK.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »

Well, when the thread title is your forum handle, you're kind of obliged to reply...lol

Seriously though, Master Venturous, you make this look stupidly easy, and smooth.

Can I ask how long you've been at it?  

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2018, 03:50:51 PM »

I’d say the majority of what I learned came from MV.  Then I started pestering DC after I got all of MVs stuff down.  If you listen to DC long enough you’ll end up breaking some sabers and lighting stuff on fire.

MVs emphasis on proper technique and doing it smoothly is great and his format for the videos works well.  His skill routines keep you sharp and really can build stamina.  It’s crazy to think I was tired from doing it at one point. 

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »

I’d say the majority of what I learned came from MV.  Then I started pestering DC after I got all of MVs stuff down.  If you listen to DC long enough you’ll end up breaking some sabers and lighting stuff on fire.

MVs emphasis on proper technique and doing it smoothly is great and his format for the videos works well.  His skill routines keep you sharp and really can build stamina.  It’s crazy to think I was tired from doing it at one point. 

I jumped in right into DC’s tutorials, initially.  Only after that i tuned in to Master V and well, YOU Sam, if i may be candid, to fine tune my style and to really understand the flow more🤙🏻

And on the note of Darth Cephalus’ training- it doesn’t take very long at all learn how to destroy a few battery packs and work on that “natural petina and aging”( aka impact scars) on your saber LOL🤣

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: