Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Master Venturous  (Read 17525 times)
Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »

I haven’t really done much in the way of tutorials, but I do teach people in person here and there.  I’ve got a few explanations for forum members but I don’t usually keep those videos listed on my channel.  I’ve done some Skype lessons that went really well too.  If I can ever get my hands on a nice camera I’d like to do a series for YouTube, but MV and DC pretty much have anything I could offer covered already.

But I’m fun to watch sometimes 😆😆😆

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »

You made me a couple of personal instruction videos Sam. Smiley

Still, a good camera set-up would allow you do to more/better artistry videos...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »

Ok, rapid-fire replies incoming!

They call him MASTER Venturous for a reason Y'all. Save your body, joints and tendons by heading his words!

Before finding the indispensable teachings of this man and Darth Cephalus, I had unfortunately already developed this bad habit on top of already having chronic joint and nerve pain. I can hardly pick up a glass of water with my right hand for the last week and a half. But everyone thinks I look cool when I do ECLIPSE spins right?  Undecided 
JK.

Believe me, experience is the best teacher. The only reason I have the title of Master on here is because I developed the bad habits first and learned to correct them.

Well, when the thread title is your forum handle, you're kind of obliged to reply...lol

Seriously though, Master Venturous, you make this look stupidly easy, and smooth.

Can I ask how long you've been at it? 

I've been spinning stuff probably since I was 10 and I'm now 32. It was just an unconscious habit growing up. I'd find a stick or rake handle and just start messing around with it. Usually it would be finger rolls, but later on I started looking for actual techniques to use. From there it just took off. I've probably been spinning staff the longest. I don't really have any formal weapons training, aside from fencing. Everything I know with staff, single saber, dual-wielding, nunchaku, etc. has all come from either personal experience with messing around or from watching videos on YT or watching movies.

I’d say the majority of what I learned came from MV.  Then I started pestering DC after I got all of MVs stuff down.  If you listen to DC long enough you’ll end up breaking some sabers and lighting stuff on fire.

MVs emphasis on proper technique and doing it smoothly is great and his format for the videos works well.  His skill routines keep you sharp and really can build stamina.  It’s crazy to think I was tired from doing it at one point. 

Sam is already a better spinner than me, he is just too modest to admit it. As for DC, I think he covers more advanced stuff than I do, especially the videos he's been posting lately. He greatly out-performs me with dual sabers and whenever I want to see a review on blades or sabers, his channel is the first one I hit.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »

I think (and this is just my personal opinion) that between Sam, DC, MV and Ryan, we have some of the best saber manipulators in the galaxy, right here on the Forums.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2018, 08:00:35 PM »

I think (and this is just my personal opinion) that between Sam, DC, MV and Ryan, we have some of the best saber manipulators in the galaxy, right here on the Forums.

I must agree. We are all truly blessed. Forgive my ignorance on this one, who is Ryan? Got any links? Thanks.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2018, 10:00:16 PM »

I must agree. We are all truly blessed. Forgive my ignorance on this one, who is Ryan? Got any links? Thanks.

RyanG83Jkd

I haven't seen a lot from him recently, but he used to be pretty active. I'm pretty sure he's still around (he's posted on this thread). The only link I have is one to a short video series that he and a bunch of other people worked on. It is called Relic Wars.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=35643.0

Maybe he will pop back in and provide you with more of his stuff.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »

RyanG83Jkd

I haven't seen a lot from him recently, but he used to be pretty active. I'm pretty sure he's still around (he's posted on this thread). The only link I have is one to a short video series that he and a bunch of other people worked on. It is called Relic Wars.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=35643.0

Maybe he will pop back in and provide you with more of his stuff.

Oh! Derp on my part. I don't always notice names right away as much as avatars (which is why I need to get on making my own)
That vid is sick!

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2018, 10:24:27 PM »

Sorry, have to chime in hear.

The " obi - ani " has been known as the Little Flower for literally thousands of years in the Arts of Shaolin. It is a precursor technique to the Plum Blossom.

We learn 64 variations of the little flower before you even start the Plum Blossom.

Just couldn't stay quiet anymore Smiley Smiley

I don't suppose you could give some insight into the 64 variations of the Little Flower could you? I'm super interested. Sounds intense. I understand if it's too hard to explain here. Perhaps some video links at least? What styles have you trained in and what weapons? Much appreciated. Smiley

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2018, 02:09:44 AM »

I stay in the shadows. Drive by vid Drop for those that dont know me!

Making a reference guide to the variations for my Saber Group. We have the basic 1 - 6 up already. It will be the second Vid.

I'll give examples. A lot my vid's have been removed from youtube for copyright nonsense. I beat all of it but kept them removed.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kg4YZFuPNA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kg4YZFuPNA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK5twHvxtg0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK5twHvxtg0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzQmOLHux4Y&amp;t=4s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzQmOLHux4Y&amp;t=4s</a>

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2018, 03:00:54 AM »

I stay in the shadows. Drive by vid Drop for those that dont know me!

Making a reference guide to the variations for my Saber Group. We have the basic 1 - 6 up already. It will be the second Vid.

I'll give examples. A lot my vid's have been removed from youtube for copyright nonsense. I beat all of it but kept them removed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kg4YZFuPNA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK5twHvxtg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzQmOLHux4Y&t=4s

Damn! Impressive! I've got a lot of work to do.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »

This is a great thread. Smiley

Wow yeah!  Perhaps RyanG83Jkd ought to emerge from the shadows a bit more often. Wink

Points for all.  

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2018, 11:06:42 AM »

Just to be sure we cleared things up here, from now on it is definitely not an Obi/Ani, but rather an eclipse or flower or Shoulder roll, even though we all know what someone means when its been said in the past right?
Or should we just call it a "definitelynotobiani"? I feel like that just kinda flows nicely too. Wink

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2018, 06:33:26 PM »

Just to be sure we cleared things up here, from now on it is definitely not an Obi/Ani, but rather an eclipse or flower or Shoulder roll, even though we all know what someone means when its been said in the past right?
Or should we just call it a "definitelynotobiani"? I feel like that just kinda flows nicely too. Wink

I'm a few videos deep into my channel calling it the "shoulder roll" and I know others refer to it as the "Eclipse spin." We should have a poll somewhere on the forum for everyone to vote on their preference of naming it. That way we can all come to an agreement on one term and start using that only. I'd be fine calling it the "Little Flower," as that is the name it supposedly had to begin with. I know I refer to the Plum Blossom technique as a "Plum Flower," which is probably wrong, but people seem to know what I'm talking about when I show it.

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2018, 06:38:06 PM »

I’m always calling things what you called them when I’m teaching people.  You’ve created a chain reaction of people learning the names wrong!!! 😆😆😆

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2018, 07:00:41 PM »

I think it would matter more if these were actual weapons from actual already-established arts. The fact that this is a weapon of fantasy that has no specific art affiliated with it means the naming terms can get jumbled pretty quick, especially when you have as many people trying to teach it as there is. Some people use traditional naming schemes from arts that already exist based on the technique and some make them up. I made up the term "Blade Barrier," which I use for different techniques depending on the weapon type. I don't know if that term has been used before, but to me it sounded the most appropriate for the move. I'm just glad I didn't come up with the "Obi-Ani" name, otherwise I'd never leave my house for fear of assassination.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: