Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Author Topic: Master Venturous  (Read 17539 times)
Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2018, 08:10:58 PM »

I’m just giving you a hard time dude, I’ve never really had anyone say anything to me about names of moves.  Except for a few who follow the TPLA stuff, they’ve got their own set of terms for everything.  Which is where the whole orbit thing comes from.  I’m curious about what terminology they use in the books for some of this stuff.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2018, 08:54:11 PM »

This is fun! I honestly didn't have any idea this was already a debated topic when I first brought it up. Just like the way different people talk, I could care less how people speak as long as I understand them and vice versa. But it is fun to get people debating things. Cheesy I think it would be awesome if the saber community had it's own terminology though, based on space terms and Star Wars rather than ancient Earth arts. By that logic Obi/Ani or Eclipse both make sense. Shoulder roll makes a lot of sense in that physically, that is what's happening. I also have deep respect for those ancient Earth arts, and have no problem with those names as well. I could see people that practice Shaolin and Escrima etc. being offended if we used those terms. I could also see them being offended if we didn't so...

The main point to me is, you guys are all awesome! And I'm honored to be able to learn from all of you regardless of the terms. Smiley

That being said, with my arm still screwed up, I think I might make a fake tutorial series mocking every thing and everyone while making up really dumb confusing terms off the top of my head. If you see me wearing a trench coat, I think you know who I'm referring to. Same as if I wear sunglasses and put my off hand in my pocket. This will be a TRIBUTE, not a diss to anyone. Would that be alright?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »

This is fun! I honestly didn't have any idea this was already a debated topic when I first brought it up. Just like the way different people talk, I could care less how people speak as long as I understand them and vice versa. But it is fun to get people debating things. Cheesy I think it would be awesome if the saber community had it's own terminology though, based on space terms and Star Wars rather than ancient Earth arts. By that logic Obi/Ani or Eclipse both make sense. Shoulder roll makes a lot of sense in that physically, that is what's happening. I also have deep respect for those ancient Earth arts, and have no problem with those names as well. I could see people that practice Shaolin and Escrima etc. being offended if we used those terms. I could also see them being offended if we didn't so...

The main point to me is, you guys are all awesome! And I'm honored to be able to learn from all of you regardless of the terms. Smiley

That being said, with my arm still screwed up, I think I might make a fake tutorial series mocking every thing and everyone while making up really dumb confusing terms off the top of my head. If you see me wearing a trench coat, I think you know who I'm referring to. Same as if I wear sunglasses and put my off hand in my pocket. This will be a TRIBUTE, not a diss to anyone. Would that be alright?

I would laugh so hard at this. True, I haven't posted videos for you to make fun of, but I think it would be awesome. Especially if you could capture the feeling of each of the different people's styles. Maybe it is just me, but I can recognize Sam, DC and Ryan just by the way they spin. Probably MV as well, though I don't think I've watched as many of his vids. If the others don't have a problem with you doing it, I would love to see it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2018, 12:07:31 AM »

I know I refer to the Plum Blossom technique as a "Plum Flower," which is probably wrong, but people seem to know what I'm talking about when I show it.

That's the correct term in MeiHuaQuan when it is the " Basic Version " That branches the little flower drills to the Plum Blossom Drill. I've seen so many different versions over the years. In MHQ the Little Flower is not any given one technique, but a series of techniques that follow a similar " Flow ". Same thing with the Plum Blossom. So many variations that are all part of the same series.

I've seen other Shaolin students from different schools have different names depending on dialect etc. ( We use cantonese for example. )

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2018, 04:41:50 AM »

That's the correct term in MeiHuaQuan when it is the " Basic Version " That branches the little flower drills to the Plum Blossom Drill. I've seen so many different versions over the years. In MHQ the Little Flower is not any given one technique, but a series of techniques that follow a similar " Flow ". Same thing with the Plum Blossom. So many variations that are all part of the same series.

I've seen other Shaolin students from different schools have different names depending on dialect etc. ( We use cantonese for example. )

ngóh jek heidínsyùhn jòngmúhnsaai síhn

HELP!!!

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2018, 05:11:11 AM »

I wouldn't have an issue with the spoofing. I'd probably find it hilarious as well. And yes, I'm always concerned about getting a term wrong or calling a move something that already has an established name. In reality though, there is no list of terms anywhere for us to go by and I highly doubt everyone is going to band together on YT or this forum to start using a standardized set of terms. I'd say as long as people know what move we're talking about (which they should after seeing it), then that is what is important. The technique is the important part, the name less so.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2018, 06:12:14 AM »

I wouldn't have an issue with the spoofing. I'd probably find it hilarious as well. And yes, I'm always concerned about getting a term wrong or calling a move something that already has an established name. In reality though, there is no list of terms anywhere for us to go by and I highly doubt everyone is going to band together on YT or this forum to start using a standardized set of terms. I'd say as long as people know what move we're talking about (which they should after seeing it), then that is what is important. The technique is the important part, the name less so.

Eggs-act-Lee.
I hope you don't mind that I titled this thread with your name to thank you for a conversation we started on YT, and that I turned into this debate on accident. As I watch more of your amazing tutorials I read the comments and realize, people have been giving you a hard time about this for years, even on videos where you make it CLEAR that there are different names for the move. My bad. I just thought it would be fun to start some debates. Wink

As far as my spoof tutorials, well I already started. I'm not sure I want to post it. I have rarely ever taken pics let alone videos of myself. But to summarize what I have so far:
"Welcome to my tutorial series, part 11. Before we start lets talk about personal style. Your instincts are going to tell you to wear sweat pants and a t-shirt or something, but that's for armatures! You need a DC or dark coat, hopefully long like mine so you can hit it with your blade for extra style points. Maybe a matching v neck or MV and make sure you have SomeHanes, boxer briefs, very supportive, you don't want to get your Schwartz twisted. We will first be discussing the OBI/ANI which is how I warm up, It's an ancient Chinese technique passed on to a Scottsman, were you tell your stupid Padawan to look for a dangerous bounty hunter while you go get a drink. (insert swigs of whiskey from a bottle) There are tons of videos on stretching and limbering up, trust me you don't want to do that. You want to stay nice and tight so you can focus on the most important thing, Speed speed speed. In this tutorial I will help you go from ludicrous speed directly to plaid.  Now lets start with the most talked about technique, the Lunar and Solar ECLIPSE spin or as I call it, Lightside/Darkside spins. So it goes behind your back as you join the dark side bring it WAY out above and in front of you as you join the lightside. Join the darkside ,Join the lightside. And make sure you don't keep it in a straight line. Keep it as far out on either side of your body as you can so you can take on multiple attackers. Now lets talk about stances, You really only need to know two. First is what I call the Yoda/Yaddle stance. First you get on your knees and make yourself real short so all your movements have to be done above your head to avoid hitting the floor. Environmental awareness is a must. From the Yoda /Yaddle You can do a forward Ukemi or roll to a reverse horizontal strike which I call a Droideka. Next go back to the obi/ani. You can never warm up to much." - Master Dark Celophane Vent-hain

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2018, 07:14:44 AM »

Please understand. This is just a description of what I said in a video I have already deleted. Everyone I am specifically spoofing is a personal HERO to me. I forgot to mention Ryan, because I just noticed who he was a day or so ago, (Psycho G.I. Joe Ninja) seriously next level!!! And Elwood, (it's like that, and that's the way it is! Mr. Macgee) you were up next for the "If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen/resist the pull to the light, that is above your head" section. 
 I have a twisted sick, sense of humor. I'm like a good plate of Nachos or Chester the Cheetah. Cheesy!!!
And I'm also down to talk about very serious subjects like Quantum Physics and Cosmology. Not that I'm an expert on anything in these fields or any thing. but I love contemplating what I perceive to be the multiverse, even though it just provides more questions. (this is why I only sleep 3 or 4 hours a week).  So please don't be offended. i love you guys.  Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley For real!!!

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »

Eggs-act-Lee.
I hope you don't mind that I titled this thread with your name to thank you for a conversation we started on YT, and that I turned into this debate on accident. As I watch more of your amazing tutorials I read the comments and realize, people have been giving you a hard time about this for years, even on videos where you make it CLEAR that there are different names for the move. My bad. I just thought it would be fun to start some debates. Wink

As far as my spoof tutorials, well I already started. I'm not sure I want to post it. I have rarely ever taken pics let alone videos of myself. But to summarize what I have so far:
"Welcome to my tutorial series, part 11. Before we start lets talk about personal style. Your instincts are going to tell you to wear sweat pants and a t-shirt or something, but that's for armatures! You need a DC or dark coat, hopefully long like mine so you can hit it with your blade for extra style points. Maybe a matching v neck or MV and make sure you have SomeHanes, boxer briefs, very supportive, you don't want to get your Schwartz twisted. We will first be discussing the OBI/ANI which is how I warm up, It's an ancient Chinese technique passed on to a Scottsman, were you tell your stupid Padawan to look for a dangerous bounty hunter while you go get a drink. (insert swigs of whiskey from a bottle) There are tons of videos on stretching and limbering up, trust me you don't want to do that. You want to stay nice and tight so you can focus on the most important thing, Speed speed speed. In this tutorial I will help you go from ludicrous speed directly to plaid.  Now lets start with the most talked about technique, the Lunar and Solar ECLIPSE spin or as I call it, Lightside/Darkside spins. So it goes behind your back as you join the dark side bring it WAY out above and in front of you as you join the lightside. Join the darkside ,Join the lightside. And make sure you don't keep it in a straight line. Keep it as far out on either side of your body as you can so you can take on multiple attackers. Now lets talk about stances, You really only need to know two. First is what I call the Yoda/Yaddle stance. First you get on your knees and make yourself real short so all your movements have to be done above your head to avoid hitting the floor. Environmental awareness is a must. From the Yoda /Yaddle You can do a forward Ukemi or roll to a reverse horizontal strike which I call a Droideka. Next go back to the obi/ani. You can never warm up to much." - Master Dark Celophane Vent-hain
🤣 dark celophane vent-hain!! Seriously man- dig the Spaceballs reference and quite frankly, this sounds like an SNL skit from the “UltraSabers Miniverse”!! There was some honest to goodness laughing out loud while reading that🤘🏻

Guess that’s a couple points i’m owing you, Gar-Wi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2018, 05:44:24 AM »

Somewhere, in a galaxy far far away, someone would consider that an actual lesson and try to apply it.  Tongue

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »

Let’s just hope they press “record” first so we get to see🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: