Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Acid etching question  (Read 1922 times)
RabbleRouser
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 18

« on: March 21, 2018, 03:19:18 AM »

I want to acid etch my Aeon LE V2 but I read on "the other guys" (TCSS) forum that THEIR parts have a coating on the aluminum that has to be sanded off before acid etching is possible. Do ultrasabers hilts have a similar coating that I will  have to take off first?

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 03:21:56 AM »

Very likely. I know the aluminum black I use wouldn't work well until I sanded the part lightly

RabbleRouser
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 04:36:02 AM »

Very likely. I know the aluminum black I use wouldn't work well until I sanded the part lightly

How much did you have to sand?  I'm wondering if a light bead blasting would do the trick....

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 05:25:18 AM »

Hi.  Do you have any previous experience with acid etching ?  If not then you might want to become more familiar with spot etching first... prior to mixing and working with more caustic chemicals.  Instructions from RevanReborn who is one of our top Forum electronics and saber building customizers.  There are a few members that have done acid etching and show their work on the Forum and sometimes Youtube using a variety of methods.  All avenues require caution and strict safety measures.  Smiley

Normally you need a resist coating on the bare areas that you don't want the acid etching to mark up... therefore any aluminum protective coating would be desirable.  But then again it depends upon the method of how you create your etchings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK8lNpS2iIE
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:30:05 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

RabbleRouser
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »

Hi.  Do you have any previous experience with acid etching ?  If not then you might want to become more familiar with spot etching first... prior to mixing and working with more caustic chemicals.  Instructions from RevanReborn who is one of our top Forum electronics and saber building customizers.  There are a few members that have done acid etching and show their work on the Forum and sometimes Youtube using a variety of methods.  All avenues require caution and strict safety measures.  Smiley

Normally you need a resist coating on the bare areas that you don't want the acid etching to mark up... therefore any aluminum protective coating would be desirable.  But then again it depends upon the method of how you create your etchings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK8lNpS2iIE

I have etched a couple damascus knife blades to bring out the pattern  of the folded steel. Deep etching with a resist is going to be new tho so I will be experimenting on test pieces first.

I actually worked in a photoprocessing center for almost a decade so I am familiar with the safe use, handling and disposal or toxic/caustic chemicals.  I appreciate your concern nonetheless Smiley

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 12:49:39 AM »

Sounds good.  Then I suggest that you check out the mentioned person's channel and newest video on acid etching.  He gives some valuable tips with examples of what to do and to avoid.  Won't put a direct link on to the Forum.  There are also good YT instructional videos from more well known saber builders/smiths that can't be mentioned on this Forum.  Good luck and we look forward to seeing the results.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:11:18 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 02:47:04 AM »

How much did you have to sand?  I'm wondering if a light bead blasting would do the trick....
I mostly gave it a going over with fine grit sandpaper. Nothing too extreme

TR-77477
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -361

Join The Darkside ( We have cookies)

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 12:16:58 PM »

When I did my first attempt at muratic acid etching I had a dramatic failure. I had not diluted the acid enough and it ate the majority of the saber away. Make sure you dilute at least 1:1 and a pre sanded surface gives it a starting point to begin with. If it has been anodized then the aluminum has a harder surface then normal and will resist the acid. Make sure you do this safely. the results can be amazing if done right. 

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Wish list---Consular--Flamberge V2--Omen

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB
Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR -- Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR

Gifted

Dominix V4--- Initiate V4---Graflex SE SD---Dark Apprentice v4 GB
Dark Standard issue CG at Dcon 2018---Six Mystery Boxes at dcon 2019

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: