Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: My first comic-con  (Read 14996 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« on: March 22, 2018, 09:58:51 PM »

Hi all.  Last weekend I went to the first annual Victoria Capital City Comic Con.  Was supposed to be as large as the Toronto and Seattle ones.  That I'm not sure about.  Went on Friday... apparently was jammed packed on Saturday when the most action and more special guests arrived.  Expecting 2500+ and got well over 3000.  The good news is that the sponsors have already committed to next year so hope it will be bigger and better.

I have to admit that I don't collect comic books but have read plenty... especially in my youth.  I didn't know many of the comic guests or the celebrities.  Basically I knew of James Marsters who played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer series and Jay Baruchel... some random actor that I last saw in the movie... The End of The World.  Mike Quinn from Star Wars did a puppeteer talk.  A few of the Battlestar Galactica actors.  Graham McTavish from The Hobbit and Outlanders was quite popular.  Wow are the autograph prices ever expensive !!

Didn't know that we have a comic book superhero that goes by the name of Captain Canuck.  There were lots of booths with stuff... loads of Funko Pop.  Not that much SW or lightsaber related other than the 501 and Mando Mercs.  Right by the main door people were getting spur of the moment more simple smaller tattoos.  Thought about it for a second then thank goodness that I did not get caught up in the moment lol.

I had the opportunity to both meet and talk to a lot of really friendly and cosplay knowledgeable persons.  Was told that there were a lot more cosplayers on Sat and Sun.  Can't imagine going as a non-participant to a smaller con for an entire weekend... as the ticket prices for entrance/events would be very costly.  Ultimately one could run out of activities to do.  Enjoyed my one day and would return next year.  Bought a few things such a wooden katana and that cool samuri dog print.  The female BC professional cosplay person gave me some signed pics which was a very nice gesture.  Got some other freebies as well.  Smiley

Here's some random photos of mainly cosplayers and the 501 booth.  Just need a minute to upload them.  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:55:29 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:26:14 PM »

Looks like you had a blast! I remember my first Comic Con, they are comparably addictive to saber collecting... especially if you cosplay. Great pics!

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »

Looks like you had a fun time and that's what it is all about! The best part of the Cons I have been to was the looking at Cosplay.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 01:22:55 AM »

some really cool shots there.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 04:29:25 PM »

Thanks Saso, tx and bB.  I would like to go to a really big comic-con perhaps next year.  Without the cosplayers it would be much less exciting to experience.  However it's just not in my comfort level to do this... yet.  Cheesy

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 04:42:29 PM »

Looks like a great time!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 05:50:27 PM »

Thanks Saso, tx and bB.  I would like to go to a really big comic-con perhaps next year.  Without the cosplayers it would be much less exciting to experience.  However it's just not in my comfort level to do this... yet.  Cheesy

rule of cosplay. the heck with what people think, go out and have fun!. after you get there, it's just a blast. I got cons requesting us for next yr already!
so, go have fun with it. play off the character and enjoy it.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »

It's not about what other people think at all if I'm role-playing a character.  I'm a fairly private person in spite of sometimes placing myself out there as a singer.  Now that is being open and vulnerable to the public opinions.  Smiley

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »

It's not about what other people think at all if I'm role-playing a character.  I'm a fairly private person in spite of sometimes placing myself out there as a singer.  Now that is being open and vulnerable to the public opinions.  Smiley

It's true, making and sharing art is really exposing your soul...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »

Cool pics D7, point to you for sharing ! Shocked

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 04:00:14 PM »

Thanks Illyiss and MavRick.  Smiley

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »

Nice pics, looks like some great cosplay going on there!  I'm kind of opposite, was a fan of comic books first since I was 3 yrs old LOL since my parents encouraged it as a way to foster a love of reading, then got into other genres based on tv and movies later on.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Xamon
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »

Cons are fun my wife and I go to the Niagara falls comic con (this is on the good, Canadian, side of the falls. We have done cosplay every year and it is a blast. Have to finish my cheap clone trooper armour for this year, wish it would look as good as that fellow you got a pic of. Also that one lady looks like she is wearing body paint and a smile. Anyways at least where I have been the cosplay people have been fabulous so dress up and get out there.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »

Very cool! Glad that you enjoyed it Wink

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 12:30:48 AM »

I have been to 3 comic cons and one Supernatural Con (family) and I have never done any Cosplay. My kids have. But this year at Comicpalooza all of us, me the wife and 3 kids, are doing Cosplay. I'm a little nervous but looking forward to it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: