Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Liberator, Standard Issue and Blade review  (Read 9906 times)
3toedsloth
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« on: January 20, 2011, 10:45:41 AM »

Just got my new SRD Dark Liberator and Violet Amethyst Standard Issue with mid grade blades.

Firstly, The workmanship of the hilts is amazing (there seems no point posting pics specifically of those as the pics on the site are identical). The Dark Liberator just looks awesome, those holes at the top of the hilt make it look amazing.

The Standard issue is a good looking solid saber too and im loving the violet amethyst.

The only criticism I have with the hilts is (very) minor and almost unnoticeable qualm with the Dark Liberator, and that is that the blade does not sit precisely in the middle of the hilt.

I also thought I would take the opportunity to compare the blades I have. These pics were taken within about 1 min of each other with the same Dominix V2 Blazing Red  (added in my vader Force FX for fun too). I also did a comparison of the blades on my new Dark Liberator SRD.

In my opinion the Ultra edge blades certainly the best looking overall. The blades just look cleaner and are definitely worth the extra money to upgrade. The difference (in terms of brightness) between the mid-grand and heavy-grade is almost unnoticeable. The one thing I do like about the non- ultra edge is that the blade does appear thinner, and the "halo" that I believe some have referred to as "light in tube effect" is actually quite good in my opinion.

I also noticed with the other blades that (and this is obviously standard because it's on all three mid-grade blades I got) that there is a somewhat noticeable line that runs the length of the blade. I thought I would point it out as I hadn't read anything from anyone else about it (potentially no one cares about this minor cosmetic flaw) It's not really that noticeable (and doesn't detract from the overall impact of the saber) but after having been used to Ultra Edge blades It stood out a little to me. Another reason why I would likely upgrade to ultra-edge. 

This may sound a bit negative, but overall I'm very happy with everything and will purchase again.

I hope some people find this helpful. 

Lord_BoOgEyMaN
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -23

The Sith Shall Rise again!

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:41:50 AM »

A very in depth review, Thank you so my my friend, im really starting to fall in love with the Violet Amethyst, its gonna have to be my next blade color

Dark Initiate V2 (2) Blazing red

LordDesann
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -3

Is that your friend in the woodchipper?!!

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:19:16 PM »

Very nice review!! Quite the photographic detail!!
 I really like the color on the Dark Liberator!!

*sigh* Now i want one.  Cheesy

Staff Member of East Coast Sabers (Saber Club)
(www.eastcoastsabers.com)

AB Raven
SY Bellicose
FO Overlord
BR Dark Liberator v3

zepik
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:29:12 PM »

Very nice. I have a dark liberator on the way and I can't wait to get it. A suggestion for the problem with the loose fit: maybe try wrapping a single layer of tape around the blade to snug it up. Just cut away a couple thin strips where the holes go. If I have the same problem with mine I'll trynkt and post results. My standard liberator is a tiny bit loose but you don't really notice it.

Ultrasabers Liberator V2 - Blazing Red
Ultrasabers Prophecy V2 - Sun Riders Destiny
Ultrasabers Redemption - Guardian Blue
Ultrasabers Dark Liberator - Arctic Blue

3toedsloth
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »

A suggestion for the problem with the loose fit: maybe try wrapping a single layer of tape around the blade to snug it up. Just cut away a couple thin strips where the holes go.

Good plan! Will do when I get home this evening.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »

Great review! Love the side by sides of the different blade types! Now I know what to expect when I get mine. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Balse
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »

We are in 2016, but thank you so much for your overview !!

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 479

Keep your concentration here and now,...

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »

Great review, and congrats for your new sabers, they look very nice, +1 point for you.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
Sentinel V4 - Tri Consular Green - Obsidian V4
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)
Wife's Lightsaber: Prophecy V3 - Arctic Blue - Obsidian V3

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »

Oy - innocent mistake guys but this Review is almost 6 years old and the person who wrote it hasn't logged in over 4 years.

Personally, I'm fine replying to a somewhat "older" Review if the OP is still regularly active like a James Casey (it's nice for people to know their hard work is still helping people) but something this old with a long gone author is a necropost which we prefer to not do.  Encouraged to read - just don't Reply.

No worries but FYI for the future.  Smiley

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 05:19:40 PM »

LC... here's your 900th dark side point which you might not see coming in this necropost.   Wink

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 05:35:59 PM »

LC... here's your 900th dark side point which you might not see coming in this necropost.   Wink

Ha - thanks!

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 05:50:58 PM »

What?? I didn't even see the date on it, I just thought it was new... Why did Balse reply this 6 years after??

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/Japarco/media/Sentinel%20V4/ffc14996-49bb-425b-9122-f4cd848e3103_zpszdtmyzgk.jpg.html
My Lightsabers:
The Guardian - Guardian Blue - Silver Flash on Clash - Obsidian V3 (2nd Summer Raffle 2016 2nd Place Prize)

Lord Japarco
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »

What?? I didn't even see the date on it, I just thought it was new... Why did Balse reply this 6 years after??
I suppose he looked for blade diferences on the searcher and this review showed up...

My Lightsabers:

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 04:33:12 AM »

I'll allow it, since those are my two favorite hilts.  And the blade color comparison is really quite nice.

I think, and I'm sure Dauntless will correct me if I'm wrong, that the line in the blade film is simply the edge of the film.  I've never noticed it on mine, but I'm usually too busy breaking things to look that closely at the blade.  And honestly, I wouldn't care anyway.

One final note, I looked at both of my Liberators, and the blades sit centered in both, so either that was an anomaly or US has corrected it.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 04:09:26 PM »

Hey Viv.  I've got nothing further to add... except... that the line is just like you said, the core effect from using a standard silver film MG or HG blade.  I actually like that look with most red and orange blades.  Looks more powerfully contained and sinister to me.  Very Sithy.  Wink

Viv.  You are now at that place where you know as much or more than me !  Tongue

So a point to you my friend and former Minion.  Go now... spread your wings and soar... and more appropriately... create havoc in all galaxies... my last order.  Grin  Cry  Kiss

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: