Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Resources for planning and making a Sith cosplay  (Read 1737 times)
Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -39

« on: April 04, 2018, 03:52:46 PM »

Hey everyone, I am kinda new here.
As I am slowly getting fed up with the problems carrying and wearing my Mandalorian armor to Cons and LARPs (it takes up as much bagspace as a weeks worth of clothes, and it is slightly impossible to take a Toilette break without getting out of it nearly completly) I am looking to make a second costume that gets around those. As I wanted to use it both for cosplay and Larping with my group of friends, I decided to make it an OC sith(apperentice) as a Imperial soldiers or Pilot  would have most of the same issues, and a more 'normal' SW citizen would just be to unspecific at Cons.

Thus I decided to go with the Sith. Now while I have some experience with making costumes, I have no good idea what fabrics to use and where to get good patterns for appropriate Robes and cloak to wear under/over what ever armor I add to it.

Short note: due to the Larps we participate in, all of this would lean towards Old Republic era.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 06:54:40 PM »

Definitely check out this thread, our Cosplay 101 opening sticky: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=27637.0

This particular thread was a massive help to me when I made my Prequel Jedi costume. Fabric and texture is a major part of Star Wars costuming and I took a lot of the info in this thread to heart: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49614

As far as patterns, a lot of costumers will actually make their own, some modify existing ones that look somewhat like Star Wars, and then another option is to flat out use the pattern fully. I personally used a pattern from Simplicity (#5840). But I only used it for my tunic and small false inner-tunic. The Obi and Tabards I made patterns for myself (not difficult to do, they are both basically rectangles.) I'm not too familiar with Sith fashion for the Old Republic but leaning closely on a costuming pattern that has a design you like can be a great start. Robes are a bit out of my league, haven't attempted one of those yet.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 07:35:24 PM »

Ok thank you for those Links, might jsut check the 101 out first.

Also is there somethign akin to upvotes here?

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:37:09 PM »

Ok thank you for those Links, might jsut check the 101 out first.

Also is there somethign akin to upvotes here?

The [Give Light Side Points] [Give Dark Side Points]  but it's not an upvote/downvote.  It's by person's preference to light or dark.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 11:59:42 AM »

Hey there Sani2341,

Right on. Smiley  I've used a number of various LARP dealers for my OC Sith outfit.  Vambraces and boots from Dark Knight Armoury, and cape/cloak from Epic Armoury.

I'm beyond certain that with your knowledge and experience in that area already, that it'll be simple for you. Smiley

Looking forward to seeing.

Also, yes, force points are the only type of "reward system" here.  Akin to a "like" I guess.  For the most part, any given member will have his/her preference displayed underneath their avatar pic, or it'll just be blatantly obvious - lol, or their actual handle will point you there, or you can just ask...lol

Yeah, don't "go backwards" on someone.  That'd be mean.  I usually award them for a cool pic, good advice, or making me laugh - or sometimes I just feel generous, and give everybody one. Tongue

Then I typically say so. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »

thanks for those Links Rapine, although I am unsure how much I'll use them, seeing as I already have a pair of boots in mind to use.
As for armor pieces I'll either make them myself from sintra/PVC or pay one of my local Larp contacts to make some out of metal to my size and specifications.
What I am more looking for, and which I hope to find on the forums of the Dark Empire, which I was made aware of after digging through the 101 thread, are patterns to use so I can go out and find a good fitting fabric to make the tunic/cloak. Also should stock on thread for embroidery, still need to finish that tabard, and it would probably give a nice touch on the sith as well.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 02:08:29 AM »

Also Sani, I would suggest you check out Stay, some VERY good deals/costumes to be found there  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 02:27:31 AM »

Sintra can make for some excellent Sith armor.
Especially if you're already used to working with it

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 05:01:54 PM »

Sorry, I MEANT Etsy (damned autocorrect).

I didn't see that until now   Sad

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 09:51:08 AM »

Ok thank all of you for those links and tipps, I'll start up a seperate WIP thread soonish.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: