Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Brother Sparring  (Read 1465 times)
Dr. Lobster
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 7

Lightside points please

« on: April 16, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »

Me and my brother both decided we would lose weight together. Which led me to find out about how doing training or sparring with lightsabers could actually help you lose weight. Me and him put together a list and that option was almost immediately chosen. So now were both gonna find some online videos about sparring and fencing and start doing that in our garage. I was just wondering if there are any videos on sparring on fencing we could watch or if you have any tips about sparring.

I don't got a signature

Dr. Lobster
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 7

Lightside points please

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:58 AM »

In case you haven't figured it out this is also how I found this forum/community

I don't got a signature

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:16:25 PM »

I kind of started for the same reason. Good for you guys. As far as videos, there are so many it's overwhelming.
I don't duel at the moment. I have in the past, and going full power and speed will wear you out good and get you in shape no matter what technique you are using.
Check out some Ludosport videos maybe. I find that following solo spinning tutorials can get you a pretty good work out if you just keep doing them over and over. I highly recommend Darth Cephalus and Master Venturous. I would start right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXqekMvo2Y

If you can follow along through to part 5 without getting a workout, you are in better shape than me. If that's the case move on to intermediate or start over. Good luck Doc. Smiley

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »

Hey there, I'm happy to give a few tips for your sparring.  As a side note, good call on choosing this activity!  I find that the best way to keep exercising is to find something fun, and sparring is definitely that.  As long as you do it the right way, you'll enjoy yourself while becoming more fit, so it's a win-win!

Anyway, here are some thoughts that immediately spring to mind.

1.  Protective gear is a must have.  I know it's an extra expense, but considering how expensive injuries can be, it's well worth it.  Basic epee fencing mask and hockey gloves will be a great start, at a pretty low price (typically under $100 total, if you keep an eye out for sales on gloves).

2.  You mentioned sparring in your garage, so I want to point out that you should maintain a clean sparring area to avoid potential injury.  Sparring can take your entire focus, which leaves you vulnerable to tripping over items.  Just thinking about all the dangerous implements in my garage, and falling on top of any, makes me shudder.

3.  Control your swings, power isn't a necessity when you have a weapon that dismembers with a touch!  All it does is further increase your chances of injury.

4.  Safety stuff aside, I recommend remaining constantly in motion when sparring.  This is both to keep your heart rate up, for fitness purposes, and to stay in motion for tactical purposes.  Try to think of it like Newton's first law - an object in motion tends to stay in motion.  If you're staying loose and moving around, you'll find it easier to react quickly to your opponent.

5.  Overall, for the sake of fitness, try to keep the action as continuous as possible.  Reset quickly after a "point" or successful blow, and get right back into it.  Again, the more consistently you maintain your motion, the better exercise you'll be getting.

That's about it from me, just be safe and have fun!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: