Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Will a set screw penetrate a carbon fiber lightsaber blade?  (Read 720 times)
Oldben93
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« on: April 18, 2018, 04:01:06 AM »

I want to put a carbon fiber blade in my stunt lightsaber. I know the blade will fit fine, but im worried the set screw wont be able to penetrate the carbon fiber material. After all its supposed to tougher then aluminum. Its certainly stronger then a normal polycarbonate blade. Does anybody know if this is possible to do?

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 05:18:23 PM »

Depends on how hard you crank down on the screw.  It will probably make an indent, though doubtful as much as in the regular blades.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Blackbird71
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »

As a disclaimer, I have no experience with carbon fiber blades.

However, I shoot carbon fiber arrow all the time.  Assuming the two are similar in structure and strength, I would caution against the possibility of splitting/cracking the blade.  Carbon fiber is very strong and resilient; in my experience, it is very difficult to break.  However, when it does break, it will split or even shatter.

If you can tighten down your screw enough that it just indents the blade (or, given the flexible nature of carbon fiber, maybe just "squeezes" the blade in place without actually denting it), then I think you should be ok.  But if the screw goes in too hard or too deep, I would assume there is the possibility of causing significant damage to the blade.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: