Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: The no eclypse challenge  (Read 17404 times)
Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« on: April 19, 2018, 06:49:20 AM »

I figured I would give this thing it’s own thread since it is a neat idea. Those who already posted theirs in other threads, feel free to paste them here as well. For those who were not in on the original conversation, Venturous and Ryan recently suggested this challenge and I thought I would give it a shot. After seeing another user’s video, (I tried to find it but couldn’t so please forgive me fir not remembering who started this off) Venturous suggested the idea of 5 minutes of footage without using one of the most popular saber spins. This is my 5 mins of practice time without using the obi-ani spin. Since that spin is used a lot to change directions or set up flips, I focused on both without using it. Decided to hit it with a filter because, why not? I find the trails make it easier for me to follow what I am doing on the playback.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_piuQORM-k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_piuQORM-k</a>

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 04:41:51 PM »

That filters incredibly distracting.  And it makes you look like the Marlboro man.  I might try this but I doubt I could fill 5 minutes without flowers.  I’d end up just juggling the saber a bunch and repeating moves.  I did enjoy all the lunges and stabs!  Really good stuff!

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »

Nice. Great filter. My attention kept going up to the clouds, almost mesmerizing. Master Venturous threw up the challenge. I posted a training video that was for my J.o.E. club and shared it. Our Form V Djem So / Shien freeform. ( I say ours because I refuse to use the current " Standard Key " for Forms translation. We use Kali and Meihuaquan. Not that the other is wrong, just different, we use most of the stances and footwork. Though I focus on Diamond/Triangle footwork in my group. )

Anyway, lookin good!
We start Filming soon, so im back to lurking.  Grin Grin

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:07:18 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDmJg8wKymc&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDmJg8wKymc&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:40:14 AM »

I considered just doing an Obi ani for 5 minutes.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 06:31:37 AM »

Dude, that is hilarious! Grin Grin Grin I keep watching it and busting up. I think this is my favorite of all your videos, and perfectly captures how I feel about this challenge. Bravo!
Here's my sleep deprived 2 minute 55 second contribution to this mess you've gotten us into. Saber drops, back attacks plus foot flips all free of charge. Wink
"The greatest teacher, failure is." – Yoda

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nJqZ7QwFyg&amp;t=3s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nJqZ7QwFyg&amp;t=3s</a>

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »

Haha, that was great. I thought at first that you were just going to stand there for 5 mins, and not do anything. Both of which would have been hilarious, but I think yours is better. Cheesy

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:46:01 AM »

Dude, that is hilarious! Grin Grin Grin I keep watching it and busting up. I think this is my favorite of all your videos, and perfectly captures how I feel about this challenge. Bravo!
Here's my sleep deprived 2 minute 55 second contribution to this mess you've gotten us into. Saber drops, back attacks plus foot flips all free of charge. Wink
"The greatest teacher, failure is." – Yoda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nJqZ7QwFyg&t=3s

I love the under-leg pass you did. Most impressive. I would say if anyone wants to go above and beyond for this challenge, you have to add the stipulation that you only get one shot at filming it. No edits or second takes. You get one shot at filming it and whatever is produced gets uploaded. Let's see those mistakes!

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 08:49:41 AM »

🤣 that’s awesome! Kind of underscores my apprehension in attempting an actual (non-fruit ninja compilation) honest try at the challenge.  5 minutes is a long time, dude!!😬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 02:19:18 AM »

Although I failed to make it even a full 3 minutes (let alone 5) I found this challenge extremely helpful as a beginner.
I just picked up my saber for the first time since I tried the challenge and I feel like I have a lot more control and I'm finding myself doing everything a little different and adding more strikes, aerials, hand transfers and footwork than before. It really helped me to expand on what I was doing, and how I was thinking about my movements. Plus it feels awesome to do an eclipse again. Smiley I think I'll take some time every practice to not do an eclipse so that I'm forced to think outside the box. Now I'm going to challenge myself to do 5 minutes at a time strictly with my off hand.
I'm also going to try 5 minutes at a time without figure 8's (or orbits?). I figure since I leaned on those so much instead of the eclipse, from now on I plan to temporarily remove whatever I tend to do the most to keep things interesting. Thank you Cephalus and Venturous.
I hope more people try this and post their their attempts at least. I look forward to seeing someone actually do the full 5 minutes in one shot.

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 02:34:38 AM »

Although I failed to make it even a full 3 minutes (let alone 5) I found this challenge extremely helpful as a beginner.
I just picked up my saber for the first time since I tried the challenge and I feel like I have a lot more control and I'm finding myself doing everything a little different and adding more strikes, aerials, hand transfers and footwork than before. It really helped me to expand on what I was doing, and how I was thinking about my movements. Plus it feels awesome to do an eclipse again. Smiley I think I'll take some time every practice to not do an eclipse so that I'm forced to think outside the box. Now I'm going to challenge myself to do 5 minutes at a time strictly with my off hand.
I'm also going to try 5 minutes at a time without figure 8's (or orbits?). I figure since I leaned on those so much instead of the eclipse, from now on I plan to temporarily remove whatever I tend to do the most to keep things interesting. Thank you Cephalus and Venturous.
I hope more people try this and post their their attempts at least. I look forward to seeing someone actually do the full 5 minutes in one shot.

That's what this challenge sought to achieve. I wanted people to think outside the box and challenge themselves try going without leaning on what can be considered a crutch. Moving outside our conform zone is the only way we grow.

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:01:33 PM »

Today’s the day! Filming at the studio this afternoon.  Gonna make this challenge my...well i’m gonna do it!🤙🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 11:43:27 PM »

here we go! if anyone finds a fail-spin, go ahead and call it.  either way this was 5 minutes straight, no stops, and with as much fluidity as I could muster without a single blossom, flower, or eclipse.  cheers!! Grin
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2kDU6RU7Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2kDU6RU7Y</a>

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 11:55:36 PM »

Nicely done. I didn't see any eclipse spins (though I may have missed it if there was some).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 01:21:45 AM »

here we go! if anyone finds a fail-spin, go ahead and call it.  either way this was 5 minutes straight, no stops, and with as much fluidity as I could muster without a single blossom, flower, or eclipse.  cheers!! Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2kDU6RU7Y

I don't know...that move at 1:47 looked an awful lot like a reverse grip eclipse. I thought the flow was on point though and the reverse grip work is smoother than mine.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: