Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: What You Leave Behind  (Read 55761 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2018, 05:52:13 PM »

I want to give a shout-out to LSG again.  We had a lot of back-and-forth on this chapter, and the bulk of the Canto Bite scenes were his work.  But the push-pull of going back and forth on these scenes has been HIGHLY productive and I wanted to make sure LSG got his due.

Sir, without you this story would not exist.  Thank you again!

And ... ONWARD!  :-)

So...  Dutchman, was that one long enough for you?  ;-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2018, 03:57:49 AM »

I've been waiting on Karm meeting up with Odjina.  Karm, I have to applaud you: this scene was even better than I'd hoped!  And if Karm can absorb all of Odjina's knowledge concerning the Song and previously lost mechanics, this could CERTAINLY help out with Cha, to say nothing about the Aethans... Let's hope that his intel-gathering isn't stopped short, I think I know a couple of people that would benefit from such knowledge...  Wink

Indeed it was good for such a solid crossover to finally appear - as Karm mentioned we went back and forth on this one (actually most chapters!) a bit but i think the result speaks for itself - a tragic and saddening reunion for Odjina, yet also hope that the Mak'Tor he fell to defend still survived, and his dedication and wisdom still shining through.

Anyway my thanks to Karm as well for letting me really run with his characters in Arnor, Chillum and Talia, really pushing them to some limits they might not know they have till they face them.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2018, 04:33:32 PM »

Chapter 10: Preparing the Field
   (Part one)

- Mendax -

Ruug had a good thing going.  His Gravity Well projecting Clone Wars Era Separatists Cruiser sucked refugee ships out of space, the Frigates offered a good threat, and the fighters menaced in tight dry attack runs as the asylum seekers transferred him credits or dropped their valuables into a pods before he let them go on their way to the Corporate sector, away from all the fighting between the so called New Republic and Empire.

Ruug ‘HAD’ a good thing going…now he was kneeling before a Twi’lek bitch with a glowing blade and a few too many face tattoos, the bunch of traitors who were once his crew either happy at his fate or too busy patching up their wounds to care.

“Will you submit to Her Excellence the Dark Lady Mendax and I Illiv Orfa” She never forgot to include her own name during these recruiting missions.
“That depends…how tight is your….” The fist slammed out three more teeth before he finished his sentence
“Ok…arghhh,,,Phhut” he spat out two of three teeth, “I get it I’m the sub you’re the dom…I have to say…I’ve been a very bad boy…the Dark Lady needs to punish me a lot…”

His innuendo was desperate and sickly as his sweat…but he was not an idiot, his trap had almost caught her, had the Interceptors arrived any later they would’ve had her trapped on the dingy old freighter she had captured a week ago.

“Last chance,” she got nose to nose, the salty tang of fear in his matted hair
“Alright…I’m on board…”
“On board?”
“Mistress….”

More comings and goings Nyder noted, over a fortnight Mendax…her ‘Mistress’ had tripled her forces, Orfa had recruited three Pirate bands – pretty low quality ones it had to be said but a ship is a ship, Misrum the Nikto cult leader from Dantooine had brought in some more fanatics fleeing from Scardia after the breakup of some ‘Church of the Dark side’.

Nyder had seen this before, typical Inquisitor technique, recruit two or three auxiliary commanders, give them each a small force of good for nothings to keep them occupied.  Ofra and Misrum now had to spend most of their time keeping their fair weather goons loyal, the rest spent eyeing each other off, looking for a chance to undermine each other.  Meanwhile Mendax could sit back in overall control and play them against each other, building her forces without having to mind control too many herself.

Were Nyder not a part of the mind controlled cohort she might admire the strategy.

Zearics Bane as Mendax called the ship was now full of Sith Sabres in ill-fitting Storm Trooper armour found in the hold of the Raider 2 Class Corvette, pirates in clanking plates and robed zealots.  Exactly where this ship and its supplies had come from Nyder didn’t know, nor was Mendax talkative on this or any subject with other people….but increasingly she was chattering to herself and her sabre.

Gruph broke her thoughts and returned her attention to the tactical console where she was meant to be working out how Rugg’s Raiders would fit into the ramshackle flotilla.  A fleet and army built on mutual hate and violent ambition…where had she seen this before…

“To You Mistress…” the blade sliced across the woman’s palm, droplets of rich red-brown hit the grey-blue deck
“We pledge our fealty, True Prophet of Darkness, Mistress of Night,”

Misrum standing behind the six robed fanatics rolled his eyes, he had followed Mendax and Mellichae not out of superstitious devotion, but respect for their power and the chance to learn from and eventually better them.

“Your fealty is accepted,” The Ferroan smoothly replied, Mirsum sensing the energy flow from Mendax, to the Qixoni crystal embedded in the black and silver hilt, to the minds of the former Acolytes of the Apocalypse or some weird cult like that…they were marginal force users, to them the touch of Mendax was ‘blessing’ or ‘communion’, Misrum had seen enough indoctrination of Mak’tor tralks by Mellichae to know deep mental manipulation when he saw it.

Her new thralls dismissed her gaze turned to Misrum,
“You’ve done well…”
A bow, “I live to serve you Mistress…”
“But will you die to serve me?”
“If you command it Mistress…” he said cautiously his deepest fantasy twisting his knife in her heart as he used her body for his pleasure
“I will not hesitate,”

“Traitors…all of them…” She said as they travelled to the next target she had in mind, a small system where the Acolytes had said a number of other former members of the Church of the Dark side had fled after Scardia was destroyed.

Still…as she flicked her sabre in her hand feeling the Qixoni pulsing within…they had their uses…cannon fodder…and sacrifices for the thought bomb…the three collars that would protect her from the devastation now arranged on the wall of her cabin.

And they kept her on edge, afraid of being assassinated by her own followers, her guard always high, her skills must be at their peak without pause – that kept her powerful.

Then there were the other uses…Ruug was a ruffian, a bulky muscled fiend…but he scrubbed up well enough to satisfy her…Mendax had never care much for such carnal distractions before…but something in the way she had been remade had changed her…a discrete blood test had shown her endocrine system was primed and taught for killing and mating…and didn’t seem to have an off switch -whoever Cha’s twisted oblivion friends were they didn’t just heal, they modified.

“And I thought I was the nasty one…” Ruug sat up, dabbing the bite marks with the sheet, in three places she had drawn blood.

“Shut up and get out,” once her thirst was satiated, her patience for his foolishness was gone.

With a snide grin he obeyed.

After a few moments her blood settled back down to the new normal, hitting the internal comm,

“How long till we arrive,”

“54 minutes Mistress,” Nyder replied.

Mendax leapt up her legs aching to run…her fists to fly…at someone anyone…but that would not do here…the three collars stared at her…

“Karmack…D’Alyanna…Zearic…dead all dead…”

“Well if that is what you …”

SssTVVUUM

Blood red sabre alight she spun through slicing through Cha’s neck…had he actually been there it would’ve severed his obnoxious head.
“Well…seems you’re fighting fit Dark Lady…”
“What do you want Cha,” Her anger rising with each second she looked on his smug face

“Just checking in, post operation care you know…seems you’re enjoying the new body…” he gestured to the bed and chair that she had broken on Ruugs back before…how long had the pervert been watching – she had no doubt the ship was littered with surveillance devices, she had found twelve so far, left three in place for dis-information, but if Cha could project through hyperspace…or could he…

She sized him up more carefully…his image was slightly backward…his arms cut out oddly…Cha wasn’t doing this himself…someone else was powering his communication.

“Get to the point….”
“oohh feisty, I like it…but really you should cool down a bit…may I recommend a nice little glacial world called Vyth?”
Mendax patience was spent, her blade was still in the middle of his illusionary throat…the sooner she got her own ship the better…but so far none of the clunkers she had acquired compared.

“So ungrateful…really you should visit Vyth…give yourself a new perspective on things…”
“And what exactly will I find there…” she sneered
His image drifted to the collars, his one visible hand caressed the top one…
“An opportunity…” he replied before vanishing
“Karmack….”

- Ken & Rylack -

There was no tourism in Ac’siel…or if there was he was not allowed to partake in it. So far he had spent nearly a week pottering around in uncomfortable half conversations with Vice Admiral Tla – as he was instructed to call Ry’s mother.

She was as warm as the ice tunnels he occasionally wandered through with them both to visit a restaurant which had less atmosphere than a mess hall after a gruelling training session, a short tour of the underground gardens and hydroponics, and very brief constrained view of the glacial channels.  Allowing him to have his eyes open during any of this seemed to be a painful concession to their secrecy.

Ry slept down the hall and was as icy as water that came from over clean taps – “public displays of affection are frowned upon…”
“But this is your room”
“But it’s not my house…”

She had warned him but he hadn’t believed it - their entire society was run like a Dreadnought on red alert waiting to exit hyperspace into imminent battle – waiting –tense, on edge, time to worry about every single little irregularity to maintain a sense of control before the storm.  He could appreciate why Ry had left even more now.

There were no distractions to take up his time, R6 was restricted to the ship, the holo news was all in Cheunh with no basic subtitles, he watched hours but didn’t pick up anything of the language – what he did see was the reason they were waiting – Ry’s grandfather the full Admiral Tla who was returning from a campaign, against whom and for what reason were more ‘operational matters’ that could not be discussed.

“What am I doing here….” He said outload to fill the silence with – Something. Ry and her mother were out…somewhere and he was under house arrest, restricted to the main living areas, his room and a refresher, every other room locked.

Nothing…just nothing…

“Please…just try a little harder, I know its difficult for both of you….” She took her mother’s hand in her own, their booth sufficiently private to avoid anyone seeing

“But I feel trapped in the middle here, I wanted so much for you to get to know him better, and he’s trying but…” Ry could only sigh “please just try a bit more,”

Her mother looked indifferent
“If he’s coming into our house he should…”
“I know obey our rules…but that’s just - it’s not helping anyone,”
She pulled her hand away and look askance
“It’s hardly easy for me either, I hardly see you, hear from you…now you bring this al…” she caught herself before saying ‘alien’
“Person with you saying you’re marrying it, honestly the thought of that pink white eyed thing touching you disgusts me Ry’lak, it disgusts me,”
“So is that it!” the reply was swift as it was indignant “Because he’s not Chiss!”
“If he was he wouldn’t be so uncouth,”

“Uncouth like me maybe, not wandering around in uniform, not keep my nails clean and trim every single day, maybe that what I like about him, ever consider that, do you ever think maybe not everyone wants to be as uptight as the Ascendancy wants,”

“This is not the time or place to discuss….”
“When then, where? We’re not the Bridge Mom, were in a café, you can’t order me around here, I’m not a junior officer anymore.” She rose up hands on her hips leaning across the table
“I wanted to include you in this, reconnect with you, share the start of my new life, but obviously it’s too disgusting for you to even contemplate,” pushing off she stalked off  intent of leaving for M’tzigon as soon as possible, if they had to stay in the ship until their scheduled departure date it was better than staying where they weren’t wanted at all.

“Ry’Lak stop,” The voice called out to her, over the thin hubbub for the cafe,
Ry chanced a quick smile, she’d finally gotten through to her.

Admiral Tla, head of the Household was a little taller than Ry and her mother, but still shorter than Ken,
“Ken’In’Nah Mack,” he bowed slightly arms firmly at his side, his eyes rose to see a hand offered, Ken had almost forgotten what hat meat…he tentatively reached out.
The Admirals grip was firm and efficient like his features, Chiss to the bone.
“Pleased to meet you Mack,” his voice sounding only slightly sincere,
“How are you finding Csilla,”
“Cold,” he half snapped, almost elated to be asked a normal question
“It can be…”

After introduction the Admiral had gone off to his room returning out of uniform in a crisp neat casual suit, that alone showed he was more at ease than his daughter, he finally began to see Ry’s leaving the Chiss might have been to someone’s positive influence rather than simply rebellion at restriction.

“My’Lak get some tea will you,” he relaxed into the couch as he bossed the Vice Admiral around

“You must forgive my daughter Ken Mack, she is not used to dealing with aliens as I am,” The fact he said aliens openly showed he was no expert either, but it was an improvement,
“I hear you’ve flown TIE Advanced and Defenders, do you find the tri-wings on the defender make it more difficult to stabilise?”
That was…random…but Ken took it,
“Not really, the inertial dampeners are better so largely compensate, but if they were damaged I imagine would be harder to level off than an Advanced with similar damage,”
The Admiral simply nodded, “hmmm…” it was almost approving
Ry in the corners face lit up,
“I’ll go help mom get some biscuits, leave you boys to talk shop,” ironic Ken thought given Ry knew more about ships than he did, but he understood.
“Our own designers are very interested in adapting the TIE pattern,” he went on no doubt breaking the ‘operational matters’ rule
“They’re good fighters in the right hands,” Ken noted
“Indeed…” When the ladies returned the conversation was almost amicable, even My’lak got involved to a degree, whilst the Admiral could not be considered ‘warm’ he wasn’t consciously frosty – for the first time Ken felt almost welcome, if only being welcomed in front of a firing squad with open smiles.
“…I must say I’d never heard of M’Tzigon before Ry told us she was living there,” the admiral noted as they finished a simple dinner of mushrooms and small vegetables that grew in the warmer climes of Csilla.
“It’s a bit out the way, we keep a low profile,” Ken offered
“A wise course in troubled times,” My’Lak added
“Dangerous times…” The Admiral finished.

Sitting on his bed flicking across the incompressible channel on the view screen the door slid open,
“Evening probie,” Ry sauntered in
“Ry…do you have permission to be out of quarters?” his mood was up, she knew her Grandfather would make him feel more welcome, she just hoped it could make up for a week of waiting
“Got my papers and everything,” she hopped beside him
“I’m so proud of you… “ her lips brushed his cheek “I know it’s been hard, but…just a little longer and they’ll come around,”
“The Admirals, I think they’re humouring me,”
“Maybe,” she had to admit, “But…a little time and they’ll be more…normal – they just need to trust you more first”
“Yeah…” he blew out, “Trust…hard to earn it when they won’t let me out without a cavity check,”
She couldn’t blame him for being annoyed, but things were just getting good, she didn’t want anything to ruin it,
“I know,” she nuzzled into his neck, “Just…keep things light for now,” reaching over she turned her head to his and touched their lips, a slightly chaste kiss, Ken reached around to pull her in deeper – finally Something was happening in this damn room.
But as soon as he pressed forward she pulled back,
“Another time…” she smiled, he didn’t reciprocate
“Seriously…” shaking his head, “do you need permission for that as well, a Disease check,”
“Ken,”
“No, I’m sick of this,” he snapped

“I don’t understand why you let them tell you what to do, it’s not –“ he considered how to phrase it as his disappointment built

“It’s not that I mind not being together for a few weeks– it’s that you’re making someone else choose that for you,” she was always so upfront, determined and strong, here he felt like she was being marshalled back into a Chiss mould, he feared the longer she was here the more infected she would become.

“I mean…Maker, you’ve barely spoken to me about anything meaningful this whole time, constantly telling me to rein it in…I thought you wanted your family to get to know me, not a sanitized Chiss friendly version.”

Her lip curled indignant as she fired a broadside back,
“What, you think I haven’t been trying, I pushed my mother to try harder, I’ve been pushing ever since I got here for them to give you a break!”
She threw her hands up between them,
“You know what I don’t need this right now, I wanted to thank you and you’re just…uggghhh,”
She pushed off to the door,
“Thank me, for being a good little prisoner, bonus rations, here’s your kiss now shut up and be polite for another week!” it all came now, the constriction, the tiptoeing around, he hated it.

“Enough Ken, I’m not doing this right now, get some sleep Grandfather has invited us to a special presentation tomorrow, you wanted to get out more, well there you go,”
She swept out a quickly as the door could open.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2018, 05:00:44 PM »

Chapter 10: Preparing the Field
   (part 2)

- Karmack -

Karmack, deep in meditation, floated in the tangle of channels and networks, watching the energy flow.  Odjina floated next to him, his eyes twinkling at Karmack's intense concentration.  "Now ... the motif..." 

Karmack nodded, still watching the flows, and started to humm the motif.  It was a simple enhancement motif, one he'd been taught by his own father before his death to help him enhance memory recall ... but with a slight alteration.  Where it should cadence the new motif did a false cadence and repeated with a minor chord variation, forming a new, longer motif.  And instead of helping with memory recall the power network around him suddenly flared to life.  "Whoa..."

Odjina chuckled.  "You see?  Its more than a memory aid ... with the right tweaks."

Karmack watched the power flow with growing amazement.  He could feel it, feel energy beginning to pour into his own body now, channelled by the crystal and targetted.  Fatigue poisons were scrubbed away.  Damage repaired.  Depleted energy stores replaced.  "Its still enhancing, but not just memory.  Its ... repairing ... but also increasing efficiency, speeding up both mental and physical systems..." 

"Yes.  This, combined with the advanced healing techniques you've learned will be vital.  But to really make it work you need the StarFire."

"Klu's 'other' crystal." I grimaced.  "Do'Rian was the last person to have both of them together, and I can't get him to tell me what happened to it after he had it.  I am beginning to suspect he just doesn't know."

"That is possible.  You may have to go deeper into the Ancient One, see if you can't get Klu to come out of hiding." Odjina rose and stretched, triggering the same action from Karmack.  The force ghost didn't really need to do so, but he'd quickly realized that Karmack did need to move periodically and had taken to initiating those movements when he sensed Karmack needed a break.  "All I know about them is that the StarFire links to the Ancient One and serves as an amplifier of sorts.  The two crystals are immensely powerful on their own, but together?  Well ... ask Do'Rian. In the mean time, have you tracked down that last motif I gave you?"

Karmack recovered from his stretch and shook his head.  "Not yet.  I kinda crashed after my meal last night..."

Odjina smiled.  "Understandable.  You've been pressing yourself hard.  The only reason you're still standing is through the use of the healing motifs, and while its good practice for using them during battle in the end you still need natural, normal sleep as well.  But since you're here now..."  Odjina resumed his lotis. 

"Yes, Master Odjina.  With your permission, I'll stay standing?"

Odjina simply nodded and began humming a tune Karmack had yet to be able to decipher.  It was very similar to the diagnoistic tunes healers used to "watch" a patient while they moved or described a symptom, but like so many of Odjina's motifs it had a flare to it that took that use to a whole new level.  Karmack could feel Odjina's attention in his mind now as he hummed the tune and began meditation on it.  It feels ... familiar ... 

Karmack realized the motif was a fragment of the song echoing in the chamber itself, a small section of the Song of Vyth.  He focused on the song, sorting throught he conflict, the pain, the death ... and underneath it all he found the melody, a motif of life and power.  It was the same song he'd heard with Ha'Ona and Ho'Li in the crystal.  He realized he'd also heard it during his vision of the battle between Odjina and Valens, the vision he'd had in the training salle on M'Tzigon.  It was here, all around him.  Echoing.  Life and Death, Victory and Defeat locked together in a deep fugue...

Its in MY song!  Karmack realized with amazement.  The motif, with slight modifications, was also buried deep in his own personal melody. Deeper even than the "family" song Odjina had shown him, the one he shared with all of the Mack tribesmen who claimed descent from Ha'Ona'Mack.  It was another layer entirely.  A layer of bedrock...
 My song...  Karmack traced the thread of melody that wove its way through the great Song of the universe.  Who else would it touch?  It was like listening to the echos of the past Masters in Great Hall of Clan Mack high in the M'Skigon range.  Each melody different and unique but connected, very much like the way our DNA was unique but connected.  You could trace generations through the song by comparing the melodies, see how bits were handed down from parent to child...

Karmack reached the destination, the source of the song fragment, and froze.  This was no Mak'Tor! It traced back to ... Valens!?!

The shock of recognition drove Karmack out of his meditation.  He wheeled on Odjina.  "What?  How?!?"

"I do not know."  Odjina stood and uncharacteristically began to pace, gesturing as he moved around the room.  "But I knew, when I heard that melody here, in this cave, that one would come who would unlock the truth of it. At first I thougth it would be Ho'Li.  The matching, underlying motif was strongest in her song, but she was never able to trace it out or make sense of it, no matter how hard she tried.  Then, later, Valens came with Milaea, and I thought that perhaps they were the key, as the motif was strong in them as well.  As you know, that hope was dashed as well."  Odjina stopped, standing in the doorway, and he smiled.  "And then, you came, and awoke me from my long slumber.  And now, at last, I can rest."

Karmack frowned.  "Rest?  But ... I don't know any more about this motif than they did!"

"You will, in time." Odjina's look softened, becoming almost fatherly.  Karmack felt a sense of completion suddenly infuse the force, a new, subtle motif in Odjina's song.  "I have finished the course, and passed on what I learned.  There is again a Master Singer of the Mak'Tor, a guardian to keep the melody, harmony and rhythm of the Song in balance.  Ka'A'Mack - Trust the Singer!  Walk the pathways he has set!  Follow the song as He gives you strength!  And when the time comes, pass on what you have learned..."

Karmack's shoulders shifted involuntarily, as if the burden of responsibility were physically settling on his shoulders.  Odjina's praise and trust elated him but it came with the realization of the heavy burden he now bore.  Sensing the balance within him, Odjina ghost gave him one last look, the solid look and thin smile of one Master to another ... and faded away.

Karmack felt the loss as his ghost departed.  He would be missed.  There was no time for grief or reflection, however, as another dark form stepped into the space Odjina had just occupied.  "Aw, gone so soon?  We didn't even get a chance to say hello."

The dark energy of the intruder ripped the calm and serenity from the room, replacing it with the driving beat of a Sith battle song.  Karmack dropped into a combat stance, his saber screaming to life in his hand.  His senses reached out even as his battle song awoke and wrapped around him.  He felt the sick blackness of evil radiating from the intruder, augmented and focused by her own dark melodies.  He braced himself and stood his ground.  "Whoever you are, leave this place.  There is nothing for you here but death."

The dark figure advanced another step, moving fully into the chamber.  "Master Karmack, I am offended.  How can you fail to recognize an old friend?"  She was a Ferroan female, lithe and beautiful, her white hair a striking contrast to her all-black outfit.  Her face displayed a smile that didn't extend to her hate-filled golden eyes.  "Oh, wait, that's right!  We were never properly introduced.  But maybe this will help..."  She held a saber in her right hand, which she ignited, revealing a blood-orange blade, while her left held up a mask.  "Do you recognize me now, Gray?"

Karmack felt his eyes go wide with involuntary shock as recognition hammered through his mind.  "Mendax...but ... you're dead."

"Do I look dead?" She laughed and cast the mask aside.  "Actually, I wanted to thank you.  While I admit, having a small mountain of stone collapse on my head was ... unpleasant ... I can't really argue with the final result."  Mendax stalked slowly into the room, closing on Karmack.  "Maybe today I can ... return the favor."

Karmack felt the force shift as Mendax reached for the rock above his head.  He countered, slamming her telekinetic energy back.  He saw her eyes flare slightly at his counter, and he gathered himself as two of Mendax' followers appeared at her side.  Time to see what we've learned... Karmack said, adjusting the motifs of his battle song.  "Its not to late, Mendax.  Leave now."

She snarled in reply.  "Oh, I will be leaving soon ... but you will not!"

Karmack whilred into motion as the Sith attacked, drawing the force and the song into his defense...

*End of Chapter 10*

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2018, 09:17:41 PM »

NOOOOOO!Any resemblance to another SW scene is purely coincidental

Karm you just CAN'T end the chapter like that!!!  Not NOW that Mendax has confronted Karm!!!

Seriously: three GREAT scenes!  This is shaping up to be one of my most favorite stories, especially with SO many threads coming to fruition  Smiley

I wonder: has Odjina truly become "One" with the Force or is he still stuck with haunting Vyth?  And poor Ken and Ry; they've really got an uphill battle with the troubles that they're facing, to say nothing of their own (hurt) feelings.  And Mendax is always a pleasure to see (and written RIGHT; awesome job Karm, LSG!)  Wink

...You're posting Chapter 11 tonight, of course?!?  Grin

This is just TOO good a story; I HATE waiting  Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2018, 09:36:02 PM »

Chapter 11?

*looks at LSG*  Is there a Chapter 11? 

Oh, wait, you mean THAT chapter 11! 

;-)

Yes, its coming...  eventually.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2018, 10:35:12 PM »

Karm you just CAN'T end the chapter like that!!! 
I wonder: has Odjina truly become "One" with the Force or is he still stuck with haunting Vyth? 

Actually I read that the best way to end every chapter is on a cliff hangar, makes people want more...case in point Schisms Chapter 22 Days of Counted Sorrows....They are coming...

Anyway Yeah I really like the Odjina bit here too, i think it provided a good closing to the circle of his character we opened so long ago, a bit like Yoda he had to wait to pass on his knowledge, but he had the fortitude to do that, which is why he's so revered by the Mak'Tor even before this.   

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 12:04:52 AM »

Actually I read that the best way to end every chapter is on a cliff hangar, makes people want more...case in point Schisms Chapter 22 Days of Counted Sorrows....They are coming... 
Lol touché sir  Grin

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2018, 04:13:20 PM »

Anyway Yeah I really like the Odjina bit here too, i think it provided a good closing to the circle of his character we opened so long ago, a bit like Yoda he had to wait to pass on his knowledge, but he had the fortitude to do that, which is why he's so revered by the Mak'Tor even before this.   

The idea of Odjina passing on his knowledge at last has always been one of our themes.  Again, the collaboration made this one so much better.  Ditto on Ken and Ry's journey.  The peak into the Chiss world is widening a bit, but also narrowing to Ry's family.  And the consequences of Ken's action with the Sons is getting more and more acute as well.  Of the three story lines I think this one might be the most compelling in some ways.  The other two are high adventure, but Ken and Ry?  Its a young couple trying to deal with trauma and pain at a critical moment in their relationship.  Will it survive? Or implode?   Will Ken heal?  Or will he self-destruct? 

More coming soon!  :-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »

Wow. Having not been on here for over a week, this was a great 2 chapters to return to. I must say, the way you tied everything together in chapter 9 with the phrase "how far will you go" was incredible. So much good stuff in these two chapters, and so much more to come.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2018, 11:38:04 PM »

Chapter 11: Nothing Left Behind
  (part 1)

- Canto Bight -

Nyssia-Cordaba Auctions were held in one of two dozen a grand casino ballrooms, plush velvet seats, widely spaced in golds and reds attended by dozens of waiters carrying innumerable drinks to and from the bars along the inner wall.  Opposite was a large transparisteel feature looking out onto the beaches, water lit cool blue by the moon.

She flicked her eyes to the door as another small group trundled in to join the growing crowd, Cha hadn’t arrived yet.  After the incident with Talia she wondered if she might’ve scared him off, made him suspicious, but given he reappeared at the sabacc tables right on time the day after it seemed he was not so easily put off.

The place was filling up fast, auctioneers cracking jokes as they stood behind the main podium, Talia beside her was still a little shaken – the question of how much further would she have gone haunted them both. Arnor began to wonder if this was worth it, they were after Cha because, in essence, he gave off a gross aura and had a connection to a long dead enemy - he had done nothing illegal, made no open threats…was such a tentative cause for suspicion really worth Talia sacrificing her body?

Arnors thoughts were cut off as Cha finally entered, in a white suit fringed with crimson highlights and dark high boots, he seemed to have reduced his harem to two – yet…

Arnor was taken aback by their sheer beauty, startling features beyond fine, skin perfect as their clear eyes and flowing hair.  They walked just behind yet blotted out his presence in their radiance, both in similar dresses, one was mostly white with black diagonal lines, the other black with mirror white diagonal lines.

These two were way beyond Cha’s league…like Holo-Movies stars, intimidating by their sheer presence, Pole Stars about which the planets revolved.

They were perfect, too perfect, the product less of nature and nurture than a design, as though every beautiful human woman in every magazine across the galaxy had been compiled, distilled and voted on to create them - a beauty at once overwhelming and deeply distributing for it told everyone who truly looked that beauty was a mathematical puzzle they had solved.

And once you understood the spell was broken, Arnor turned herself away as they gracefully glided across the rich red carpet long enough to see how many others were gazing at them, the force slowly filling with lust – perhaps they did not see how this beauty was mere display – perhaps they did not care.

The Force spiked with fear and Talia tensed up as she saw them, anxiety mingled with excitement, turning to fear as the one in White turned the trio straight for them,  “Talia!  It is you! How wonderful to see you,” the goddess in white leaned in for a welcoming hug of the slightly trembling young woman beside Arnor.

- Csilla -

He didn’t need to look hard for his ceremonial robes, the Chiss patrols had ransacked their ship so many times he hadn’t bothered to repack his things.  Ricky quizzically tweeted at him  “No I have no idea what they’ll think of them…” the poor droid had been bored locked up in the Gryphon for the last few days, unable to detect anything outside the spacious – one might uncharitably call it cavernous – hangar.

The new droid began beeping the comings and goings within the hangar, no doubt hoping Ken would find it useful to know that the security patrol came through at 6:04, 18:03, 6:03, 18:05, 6:01, 18:04 and most excitingly 6:17!  “It’s not that it’s boring Ricky just not really helpful,”  The droid responded with a low droning whoop…Ken could sympathize with feeling impotent, trapped, bored…

“Maybe…see if you can find anything on non-Chiss members of the Academies across the public broadcasts,” Ricky’s eye bulb lit up yellow. "Compile me a list of all mentions as far back as you can go, anything related to sales or military actions,”

The droids excited booping made it rock on its legs.  Ken laid his hand on the droid's dome to settle it.  "I Wish I had your enthusiasm.”

- Canto Bight -

“What are you doing here? Are you staying in the hotel, how exciting!” she giggled taking Talia’s hand.  Behind her the woman in black also smiled warmly. Cha behind them though – his smile threatened to tear his face in two.

“You know Sophi of course,” Vesi gestured to her sister, “This is Nimmin Cha, he works for us,” she slid to the side to allow Cha to extend a hand to Talia.

“A pleasure to meet you!” he beamed with barely suppressed laughter.

Talia’s throat was dry, she didn’t want to touch him … but what choice did she have but to proffer a limp wristed hand?

The woman in white locked eyes with Arnor.  It was painful to look into the blue-grey ocean of her eyes.  Arnor suspected that was intentional ... but to what end?

“I’m Vesi, this is my sister Sophi, and Nimmin Cha.  Nice to meet you Arnor.  Talia told us about you and your husband when we visited M’Tzigon a while ago.”

Arnor swallowed hard and leaned into her welcoming hug, any illusion of a cover identity was now shattered beyond repair - if it were ever intact to begin with.  “Pleased to meet you Vesi,” she said, recovered enough by the time Sophi moved forward to notice how she felt: smooth, soft, yet with a titanium strength that hovered just beneath her open hug.

Cha, still grinning, offered his hand, “Arnor, what a beautiful name, you don’t happen to have a sister staying here too do you?”

“No … this is my father, Du’an Chilllum,”

Chillum had been distracted by Sophi, the woman he had followed the day before, who dominated minds to win at gambling and make people commit suicide.  Even though the force now flowed normally he could sense nothing from her, Cha’s sticky darkness covered them both ... yet Chillum knew that Cha was the underling here.  As Vesi guided them to front seats Chillum's jaw clenched knowing that either of these girls could kill every Sentient in this room in less than a minute at the slightest offence.

- Csilla -

No one said anything on the short ride to the function centre, the Admiral only noting the Ceremonial robe was ‘adequate’ for the event.  Even Ry kept her distance despite sitting next to him on the small tube car.

Inside the centre, past a small reception hall was a large room arranged in three stepped tiers dotted with half a dozen small tables.  The reception was not due to start for another half hour but the space was already virtually full with members of House Tla.  Everyone genuflected as the Admiral and his daughter entered in their crisp uniforms, too polite to make note of Ry and her filthy alien.

As Admiral and Vice Admiral they were the stars of the House; Ry as the errant daughter the embarrassment.  He could feel the judgement, thedisgust below the surface yet the more he learned about the Chiss the more he realised it was not so much that he was an alien but rather that he and Ry were not part of the Ascendancy.  Had they been members there might still be revulsion, but it would not be so caustic - so long as they both benefited the Ascendancy.

They wandered around the room and were introduced to various House members; an uncle who served under the Agriculture Ministry, a second cousin who had just graduated from the academy and was quite star struck – in a very stiff Chiss way – by the two Admirals. Each congratulated the Admiral on his campaign and the honour he had brought to the house with the same canned sentence: “Your Success brings honour upon our House, it is my privilege to congratulate you and stand amongst your clan.”  With each repetition Ken could feel sadness flick off Ry, the appellations she would never receive still had bite.

Ken kept his words thin, his bows and nods deep until the Admiral left to see to his special guests. It was not a party like any Ken had ever seen, more a procession, a carefully choreographed dance of alternating partners, everyone being sure to acknowledge everyone else and note a particularly glorious action or quality of the Admiral and how that was a reflection of their Houses qualities.

“…his clear thinking through the obfuscation in the skirmish is much like our ancestors in the battle of…”

“…he has the qualities of our great grandfather, at last he has achieved the rank our Houses efforts have earned over the generations…”

It was as boring as it was nauseating. There seemed to be no emotion, no joy at a warrior returning home, just stilted and strained formality – hopefully these "special guests" would liven things up...

- Canto Bight -

“You must be here for the auctions, looking for Mak’tor Treasure no doubt,” Vesi patted Talia’s arm warmly.  “You just let me know what you want and I’ll get it for you.”

“That…” Arnor interrupted, “...is very generous ... but we are fine.”

“Are you sure? Well any way, you must at least let us pay for your room while you’re here!”

“That really isn’t…”

“No arguments,” Vesi laughed “What is the point of owning this place if we can’t share it with our friends?!”

“You own the Casino?” Chillum said far more calmly than Arnor would have.  She was increasingly thankful he was here.

“Been in the family for years, Hostile takeover, Ha!” Vesi summoned a slew of waiters, one each, “Order whatever you like.”

As they placed small orders so as not to offend her hospitality Chillum probed further.  “I thought Talia said you were based on Fresia?”

“We are, but we own Banks, Casinos ... all kinds of things all over the place.  Our family has been in business a long time, Mum always says what we don’t own we don’t want!” Vesi laughed.

“Or blow up…” Sophi added very deliberately.

They settled into a row near the front of the auction hall, The chairs all widely spaced to allow the various species room to move and waiters space to get to them easily.  Cha took up a seat at the end of the row, beside Sophi.  Then came Vesi next to Talia, then Arnor and finally Chillum.  “Looking for anything in particular Lady Mack? Ancient Crystals?  Wind Chimes, perhaps?” Cha inquired across the three girls 

“Just here to soak up the Aura,” she replied to his smug grin.

Next to her Talia gradually recovered from her shock, Vesi chattering away about all manner of things she wanted to show her before he left: spa’s, racing speeders, cabaret...  “You can stay as long as you like it’s all free from now on. In fact we’ll reimburse you.”  Vesi’s face seemed genuinely happy to see Talia, and sincerely intent on being hospitable, yet in the force she was a complete blank, not just a null, as though she was simply not there at all.

It was a situation even Chillum found hard to comprehend.  He had seen a lot in his years – a lot – but this?  Two force-dead girls with cheery dispositions and a virtual nexus of darkness beside them offering free accommodation and food.  What was this all about?  What was their game?  He sat, baffled, trying desperately to make sense of it all...

The gavel tapped and the machine gun gossip of Vesi ceased as the auction started.

- Csilla -

She was still angry and annoyed with Ken, but at least he was doing alright here in the heart of Chiss society. This had been far harder than she’d imagined. She could see the side glances she was getting – normally she would double down, show them she was above their judgement by holding Kens hand, but being angry at him denied her that satisfaction – and the comfort of his strength.

Her third cousins were glaring, as soon as she shifted her head they turned back to their glasses of bubbling light blue wine. Frell it – she wouldn’t get another opportunity to show all of her House at once she was proud to be with him, no matter their transitory arguments.

Slipping in behind him as he nodded along to a conversation he wasn’t really a part of, her hand glided into his.  Ken felt a warmth between them return, even if only temporarily – he squeezed back, appreciating the gesture after feeling so alone amongst the sea of blue skin and disdainful red eyes.

Everything seemed to be right with the galaxy in that instant, they could move past their issues once away from this glacial pressure cooker of social stigma.

But then…

The conversation drowned in to the beating of blood in his ears as his peripheral vision caught the arrival of the special guests…behind the Jet black suited battle hardened face of the Admiral were two dense shadows that moved without a sound across the granite floor.

The fear…the terror left behind from Black Armours Delve overtook his senses...

“Proooobeeeee”  Ry’s time distorted voice whispered as his mind pulled together the disparate threads.

- Canto Bight -

“Lot 3-52 Sold” Called the smooth voiced Auctioneer as a thin Twi’lek girl planted a kiss on her flabby Crolute sugar daddy for buying a Kuati brooch.  “We will now take a brief recess before lot 4 commences,”

So far Cha had bid on eight items, the most notable an ancient candelabra made of pure ruby, documents in a script of unknown origin and a battered Pius Dea era medical kit.

Only the ruby candelabra cost more than 10,000 credits, the auction was half party now, most chatted, ate and drank as they waited for a particular item to come up.  A few professional dealers were on headsets with off world clients doing deals, some museums were picking up the more aesthetically pleasing items, bidding against interior decorators who wanted show pieces for their clients.

While Talia strained to come up with excuses why she couldn’t join Vesi at a party that night, Arnor kept her eyes on Cha, Chillum on Sophi.  Apart from the introduction the girls didn’t acknowledge Cha’s presence at all. 

“Why don’t you join me at the bar Mrs. Mack, before the premier items come out,”

She relented for want of an excuse not to, and the need to stand up after sitting for so long.

“Well Mrs. Teft, you play an intricate game! Is "Mrs. Mack" merely another bluff?” Cha’s voice was as smooth and slick as his presence.  “Perhaps you’ll convince me you’re Mrs. Cha next?” the thought made her bile rise as she chugged the iced tea down.

The reflection in the night darkened window did not do Sophi justice Chillum thought.  “Any more luck on the race track?” he inquired standing behind her at a larger than normal distance

“Any more luck trying to stalk me?” she replied never turning her gaze from the milk splay of stars filling to a rough ball with the odd yellows of the core by the horizon.

Chillum knew then he wasn’t getting anything out of her, and for all the chatting Vesi did with Talia he knew she never said anything truly informative.

“'A perfect guest knows just when to go.'  I’m sure you’ve heard that before in you years of ... experience,” she sneered, an ugly tone from such a melodious voice that made Chillum feel suddenly cold.

“Ay, I’ve heard many things over my many years. 'A kind word turns away wrath' is another I’ve learned.”

“And 'a harsh word stirs up anger' ... how much more so a harsh action?  Like stalking a young woman, entering her parents business under a false name, or using a woman’s body as she still grieves over her husband’s death to get into a man’s room and hack into his datapad.”

His face dropped for an instant…in a very real way they were the ones doing wrong, deceiving, using Talia to get information on Cha.  Sophi knew this and would not let him forget it.

He could see where she wanted to lead, force him to question the means against the ends, the necessities of intelligence gathering against the morals of the Mak’tor.  It was a conflict each Knight came to terms with in their own way: he had many years ago found peace with such things, but even among the Mak’tor some objected to such espionage methods on principal and their choice was respected – it was a conflict whose resolution was so personal and tied to one’s faith it could not be argued to another person convincingly – and Chillum knew she knew that, too.

With a nod he backed away as the gavel fell for Lot 4, knowing he was no match for her, physically or mentally.

- Chiss -

Charric Weapons, the Admiral, Black Armour, Chiss, Ry
A spectre of nightmare stripped his memories back layer-by-layer.
Charric Weapons, Black Armour, Chiss Ry
YOUR ARE A TRAITOR
Black armour, Chiss, Ry
I AM a spy…
Black Armour, Ry
Scrubber laughed.  “Can you not defend yourself, Gray?”
Ry….

Everything but his eyes stood as frozen as the ice of the Csilla as he tracked them through the crowd, courteous small bows and raised glasses as they approached ever closer.

By the time they reached him Ry had to give Ken a jab as he was still facing the door rather than the Admiral and his special guests.  “What’s wrong,” she whispered as he slowly turned,

“Daughter…” the Admiral stated as though it were a rank to My’Lak

“Admiral,” Ry’s mother replied with equal formality “My congratulations on your successful campaign,” she looked toward the smaller of the two oblivion monsters

“It is my Houses great honour to extend our hospitality to the most worthy and dedicated of our allies,” the Vice admiral continued, the shadowed helmet gave a slight nod of appreciation,

<We are in turn honoured to be invited to celebrate this milestone with our great friends, your hospitality is most appreciated> the distorted voice returned

“Granddaughter,” the Admiral nodded to Ry,

She stepped forward and kissed his cheek with parade ground precision, “Grandfather, my congratulations on your successful campaign,” she added with a short nod to the figures as Kens heart churned and body froze.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2018, 11:43:01 PM »

Chapter 11: Nothing Left Behind
  (part 2)

“Lot 4-12 Representation of Xni Plague Victim, unknown artist,” the statue was hideous Arnor thought, an emaciated brown mon-calamari with horribly exaggerated features.  “A rare find indeed, the Xni plague occurred on Mon Calamari some 5000 years before the Great Hyperspace war, this dates from some 100 years after, allegedly the statue is in fact a plague victim, desiccated to their carbon core ... shall we start at 300,000?”

To Arnor’s amazement someone bid, pressing the button on their small paddle.  The holo screen beside the podium showed bidder 452 had placed it.  Arnor followed the auctioneers gaze to a Mon calamari... Must be after it for historical reasons...  Certainly not aesthetic!

“To you sir, do I hear 310, 310, 20…20…30 sir? We have 30…40…” The Mon Cal glanced across the room too ... she should’ve sensed it ... Cha.  Seemingly troubled the Mon Ca bid up again.

“350 I am bid, 360, 70…380 sir, 380 it is,” eager to get to the main event Cha hit the button three times.

“410, any further on 410,,” the Mon Cal shook his bulbous head.  “Once…Twice…sold to Messer Cha.”

“Now ladies and gentlemen ... now ...” behind him three guards wheeled out a display case.  “Something terribly special, I present to you,” with a flourish a Devoronian in a skimpy blue outfit pulled the rich velvet from the display,  “The Holocron of Master Soryu…confirmed authentic by Tgu Hool,” he gestured to the Whiphid Arnor had seen Cha talking with two or three times in the front row.

“…Nyssia-Cordaba’s resident expert on Jedi antiquities, this Holocron was prized from the dread Palpatines personal collection to be brought to you tonight.  A marvellous centre piece for any collection, Master Soryu was an early Jedi Master, a compatriot of the former Grand Master Yoda, eulogised for his wisdom and strength of character for many generations.  Reputedly the greatest swordsman of his time not because of intense training or natural gift, but the humility with which he fought, a dedication to learning and a will not of adamantium but of generosity to defend those who could not defend themselves,”

Chillum swallowed, suppressing a flash of sadness. He had first heard of this man in the Song of Vyth, and while most stories of him were obviously fictional Soryu was always portrayed as a man of universal acclaim – every myth had some grain of truth after all - and if even a quarter of his legends were true to possess his thoughts and teachings would be a boon to the Mak’tor - possibly even greater than Karmacks unlocking of the Ancient One.

“This is truly the prize we are all here for…” the auctioneer continued,  “Now let us begin at 3 million credits!”  Instantly the display holo lit up with shifting bids. Over the next three minutes the price rose to 10 million in the melee before Anror for the first time fingered her paddle which showed a close up image of the dark cube with a blue glow.

Cha seemed too cool to care, ordering up another drink as the bidding slowed to five main contestants at the 12 million mark.  Now the true bidders came out.  As those five faded two more emerged, a professional buyer with an implanted AJ-6 cyborg construct and a Pau’an; the two exchanged a pair of bids, and then Cha struck.

“13.4 for Messer Cha, 13.5? We have 13.5, no 6...”

Talia took a chance and caught Vesi's attention.  “That’s a lot of money, what does your family want it for?” she leaned in close to hear Vesi’s answer.  Chillum just as interested, leaned back slightly and hummed a sense expansion tune to pick up her tone amidst the auctioneers calls.

“Oh well it goes with the wall paper hahaha! No, Dad wants it, Cha says it’s really rare and impressive or something.”

“Holocrons?” the shock of seeing Vesi with Cha had largely subsidised but she still couldn’t quite figure it out. Vesi and her sisters had never shown any proficiency in the force. Even now they were just like as she sensed them on M’Tzigon, only thin presences below human average – Talia assumed it was because they were meta humans of some kind.  Was Cha manipulating Vesi and her family to buy Jedi relics?

“14 million! ladies, gentleman, ix-gender, monogens ... 14 million I am bid ... 14.1 here...”

“Yeah Holo crowns ... that’s them, bunch of them old books and stuff too, I guess Cha knows his stuff though.”

Talia blinked.  It was the only thing that made sense! Cha was using Vesi - Just as Cha had wanted to use her – the girls were probably the only ones who could sign off on spending so much money – the sick bastard.  Talia could feel her anger rising as the self-satisfied grin and twinkle of Cha’s eyes grew, just as it had when she undressed before him.  She wouldn’t let him have the satisfaction...

Arnor jumped in her seat as Talia snatched the bidding panel and slapped the button.  “Talia!” she grated in a whisper.

“We can’t let him get it!” Talia seethed. It was a side Arnor had never seen of her.

“She’s right lass,” Chillum added from the other side and for very different reasons.  “This is too valuable for the likes of him to get a hold of.”

She briefly closed her eyes. Silman and Karm will go through the atmosphere when they see the cost of this...  But she’d overheard enough of Karms stories and read enough history herself to know if this truly was the holocron of Soryu few prices were too high to keep it from a man like Cha.

“Fifteen Million” her voice was loud and strong.

- Csilla -

In furious spite of the cool of the room sweat was inching down the small of his back as he watched the Admiral and the shorter of the pair speaking with one of the Houses Ministers, Ry and My’Lak forgotten as his opening and closing fingers hungered for his sabre to satiate his need to feel safe.

The larger of the phantoms stood silent as the void by the exit – staring – straight – at – Ken.

“Probie ... Ken ... Ken! What is wrong with you?” Ry whispered breaking him out of the staring contest.

“Can’t you see,” he hissed, “They’re ... you’re not even surprised about it ... you’re ...” That damn thing was still staring at him!

“Ken!” her protest barely above a whisper as he pushed past her.  He strode across the floor aiming straight for it.  As he got within arm’s reach of the monster he started to feel dizzy as though he were standing atop the M'Skigon range, his stomach sinking, but he pushed it aside with a choppy calming rhythm.

“What are you…” Ken seethed through gritted teeth.

It continued to stare ... he was sure whatever sick features lay beneath that helmet were smiling at him.

“You’re a coward, take that mask off and show me your face,” his whispers turned deadly, he didn’t care he was unarmed at a party, this creature shouldn’t be here ... this creature shouldn’t BE.

He barely stopped himself for attacking the person who grabbed his arm from behind,

“Ken let’s go ... you’re making a scene...”

The red glow of eyes were fixed upon him.  Not directly, the Chiss were too circumspect for that, but once every three blinks their glances turned his way.  He could all but hear their thoughts...

…uncouth alien…

…barbarian…

…the girl brings shame upon shame on the Admiral…

- Canto Bight -

Vesi looked shocked, Sophi indifferent, Cha amused – the auctioneer salivating as the price rose.

“16.7  -  16.8  - -16.9,”

At 17 million the Cybernetic bidder dropped out.  Arnor pushed hard, but the higher it went the more Cha smiled…that sick grin…she couldn’t help think of the other Cha…so willing to have his goons hurt her – she never got a chance to take vengeance upon him, she thought she had convinced herself she didn’t want it…but this man…the way he treated women, his harem, his reputed lover Nemi Solsar, his willingness to use Talia as a toy, how he teased and unsettled her, Karm ... oh she could say it was all about the mission, but this was about getting back at the sleemo and his brother.

“17.5 I am bid now,” the Pau’an was in the lead,

“You’re a good Sabacc player Mrs. Teft,” Cha whispered across the girls using her cover identity as a stab “but even you can’t have won that many credits – 17.6 million.”

“18 million,” she replied, hammering her thumb on the paddle.  The crowd uttered a simultaneous half gasp.

“18 million ... 18 million I am bid ...”  The Pau’an seemingly afraid of getting lost pipped up.

"18.5 million." Cha's voice was as smooth as butter.

“19 million!”

“Nineteen…nine….” For a moment Arnor was sure the auctioneer was about to faint.

“19.5!” Cha added sweetly like a viper.

Oh not you don’t! She was about to yell out when a hand grasped her arm.  “Right reason love…” Chillum stared deep into her eyes, “The right reason matters.”

The Pau’an looked deflated, his over-tall form sagging back into his seat. All eyes were on her, a trickle of sweat on her back ... the right reason mattered - how many times had she warned Karm about the exact same thing when they were hunting Mellichae?

Mellicahe ... Mendax ... Namman Cha, not Nimmin, they were true enemies. Nimmin Cha and his fine suits and clever lines was a stuck up pfassk not worthy of her anger.

“19.6” her voice was calm and cool, her demeanour now controlled, gaining her Sophi’s attention.

“19.7,” Cha replied sensing her confidence return.

She had gone all in and beat him at Sabacc, she could do it again...

“19.8,” she glanced to Cha who ... was older ... slightly scarred, fierce look in his eyes, the gray bulkhead behind him, a ship, Storm Troopers...

Her vision flicked back to reality ... but she hadn’t heard his counter offer...

“...going twice...”

What?  What was that...?  How long had she been out...?  “Nineteen point…point,” she shook her head to look at the display having lost track
“…point nine five...”

“19.95 I am bid!  Do I hear 20?”

Confident in his victory Cha simply pressed the button, the display flicked to 20,000,000 with the name Cha emblazoned beneath as lead bidder.

Reality swirled around Arnor.  She was ... stripped, bleeding bruised…for a moment she was there again on the Destroyer…where were Karm and Ken…they should’ve rescued her by now…couldn’t…

Talia was in her face, calling to her – no she hadn’t been there, what was she doing here?

“Arnor, Arnor!” Talia called as Chillum stared at Sophi, bitter at his impotence to protect his daughter from ... something he didn’t understand ... not an attack - a loosening of present and past.

“I... Twenty One!” she called out.

“No its…”

“Twenty One!”

“Arnor…it’s over…” Arnor realised she was sitting down, there was a middle aged man in a white cloak beside her.

“What…what happened...?”

“You blanked out, just stood there.  The auction is over...” Talia gestured to the man.  “The doctor is here to look you over. Vesi sent her.”

Arnor settled back down, defeat bitter in her mouth. She didn’t need to ask who won the holocron.

- Vyth -

Gold and orange clashed with a screach as Karmack locked blades with Mendax for a moment.  He could feel her song pulsing around him, hammering on his bubble of protection...  Keep moving!  Karmack broke the lock and back-flipped away, the space he'd been in bisected by the blood-red blades of Mendax' thralls.

Karmack landed lightly and examined the song Mendax was singing.  Its power would have dismayed him before.  Now...  He held it bay easily, his own force shield and battle song augmented by the power channels he's learned to find and open in the Ancient One.  His blade pulsed with the rhythm of his singing, a quiet, steady beat in stark contrast to the racing drumline of the Sith surrounding him.  "You've gained strength Mendax.  Who healed you?  They upgraded more than your face."

The Ferroan snarled.  "Fool!  You have no idea!" She pressed forward, attacking in coordination with her minions, blades slicing through energetic Ataru attacks even as they hit him in the force with a three-pronged psycic assault.  Karmack gave ground, his Sorensu forming a golden shield that was almost physical around him while he effortlessly turned their force attacks.  He continued to analyse, studying their song, the force techniques they were employing, cataloging them mentally even as he gave ground, absorbing their attacks and letting the expend energy.  They pushed him back, more than half-way across the room before they broke apart again.  Mendax was still composed, but the first trickles of worry trickled from her.  Her minions, however...  They were winded, chests heaving, as their mistress threw a demand on them greater than they were prepared for.  "Tired already?  Maybe you should rest a while, we can pick this up in the morning if you'd like..."

Mendax snarled and led her thralls back into the attack, coordinating their movements through her song, screaming in fury and rage.  She projected that rage emphatically, both to energize her thralls - and to blind the Mak'Tor singer to her deeper intentions.  The volume of his song rose with each passing second, with each clash of red on yellow that colored the glacial caverns orange the tempo increased, the force turning from a trickle to a river to a tidal wave as it flowed from the Mak'Tor through and from his Sabre crystal.  MORE! she thought arms straining against the weight of his blows... Sing Karmack, Sing your own Requiem!!!

The Channels of the force were open, the Living energy of the Universe flowed through him, from him, around him, he felt the resonance of the permafrost deep within the rocky walls, a last gift from Odjina...

Karmack had never felt strength like this, rising and never falling...the last time he had faced Mendax he had overextended, walked a tight rope vertically...this time he strode the wavelengths of his Song confidently to new heights.

The force was his ally, the Song his very self.  Whatever wretched necromancy had empowered and strengthened Mendax was leagues below the energy he could now bring to bear.

Her thralls were gone, she was starting to stagger the speed and strength that flowed from his Song overwhelming her with each kiss of their blades. Her rage an unquenchable fire, it saddened him to know she would not surrender, he did not wish to kill, but had no choice but to severely disable.

Mendax gathered her strength, tapping the new power she'd been given, focusing it through the Qixoni crystal in her saber.  Her thralls were both down, disabled by the flashing golden blade.  Your sacrifice will not be in vain!  She spun in again, hammering away at the impenetrable golden shield.  Her song clashing with Karmack's rising tide, only to be washed away over and over again.  She tasted blood from the effort, sensed the Mak'Tor gathering the force to himself for a final blow.  Do it!  Gather the force to yourself!  Let its life become your death!  She felt the fire of vengeance in her heart and sent a final instruction to her remaining thralls, already in deep meditation nearby.  Prepare to detonate...

Time to end this...  Karmack took the offensive.  He drew a hammer of force energy to himself and channeled it through the Ancient One.  As he released it, he sang a counter-melody against Mendax' song, a series of notes that were exactly opposed to the harmonics of her own battle song's foundational motif.  When the two songs interacted, they cancelled each other out, stripping Mendax's song of its power and cohesion.

The effect on Mendax was catastrophic. She staggered as the force energy augmenting her limbs disappeared along with her song and force shield.  Before she could start singing again the edge of Karmack's force hammer arrived.  Mendax hurled back like a rag doll, slamming into the rock walls with the sickening crunch of breaking bone.

Karmack closed on Mendax warily.  Her men were unconscious and out of the battle: he could still feel them pulsing faintly in the force but neither would regain consciousness anytime soon.  Mendax was made of sterner stuff.  She was already recovering, struggling to stand despite the pain of contusions and more than one broken bone.  Her saber shreaked back to life as she stood on wobbly legs.  Karmack sighed as he dropped back into his guard.  "Yield, Mendax.  I have no further quarrel with you.  End this now."

Mendax embraced her pain, letting it cut her off from the force.  That was not important now, would even be detrimental.  She drew herself up defiantly before him, her fury fueling her even now.  Come, Karmack!  Time to die...  She spat blood and snarled defiantly.  "Yield?  And what?  You'll let me live?"

Karmack frowned sadly.  "I have no wish to kill you, Mendax."

Mendax leaned on the rock wall, her eyes alight with fury ... and a look of triumph?  "I, however, do wish to kill you" She spat.  Her left hand reached up and pulled her collar down slightly, revealing a black metal collar made of...

Karmack tensed as he recognized the material  Oblivion!  Where did she...  Before he could finish the thought Mendax touched the collar, activating it.  Karmack felt her disappear in the force ... a null field ...  If she had a device capable of generating a null field in the force, why wait until now to use it...?  Karmack reached out with his senses, expanding his sensitivity, reaching outward...

Mendax suppressed a smile.  Even shrouded in the null field she could see Karmack reaching out, opening himself up, increasing his sensitivity to the force, flooding himself with it's energy, drawing on it more and more in an effort to detect her trap, utterly oblivious to the fact that the deeper he went, the more power he tapped, the more effective - and painful - the snare would become.

Then Karmack found them.  There! In one of the side caverns, a small group ... dark, ritualistic chanting ... energy building so slowly, so patiently that it had been lost under the power of his own battle-song, masked in the fury of his fight with Mendax ... And now ... Maker!  No!

"Goodbye, Ka'A'Mack of the Mak'Tor." Mendax snarled.

Karmack recognized the energy, the power of the thought bomb, recognized it for what it was ... and then the ritual was complete and that power erupted from the meditating circle.  A shock-wave in the force preceded the blast, its effects manifest and visible in the physical universe as rock columns distorted and the very air buckled in churned space-time with its passage. Karmack's song was lost, his force-shield battered aside ... and then the main blast arrived.

Silver-white energy flooded the chamber, a tsunami that ate the unconscious thralls but broke around the rough circle of the null field like water around a rock.  Karmack had a split second to see Mendax standing, laughing in triumph - and then the mercury flow eveloped his every sense and crushed him in agony against the cold, glacial walls...

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »

I have only four things to say:

MAG-
NIF
I
CENT!!

I've been looking forward to this chapter and you didn't disappoint!  From Arnor & Co.s psychological games (and Cha cheating  Wink) to Karm's newfound mastery with his Singing to Mendax's thought bomb ploy...this was the best chapter yet!

...I just have to wonder how Karm is going to survive the thought bomb...

CH.12 can't come soon enough!!

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »

Honestly, I loved the section of this when Vesi and Sophi blow Arnor and Talia's cover.  With Cha grinning like a cheshire cat, and then he keeps playing along, like the "Mrs Mack" is the cover...  At that point Arnor and Cha are all-in, but still playing the game.

And the turn-about...   We have the Mak'Tor acting the bag guys.  On the surface, at any rate. 

Wolves in sheep's clothing...   

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2018, 10:53:43 PM »

...I just have to wonder how Karm is going to survive the thought bomb...

Who says he survives?

Anyway glad this came out the way we wanted - like all good 'endings' it sets off a whole bunch of new beginnings. I especially liked the Karm v. Mendax, it was always going to happen, but the twist that he has just learnt all these amazing powers...and now that very power has made him 10X more vulnerable to a thought bomb is just a fantastic addition by Karm - a very sobering moment for Karm...if he lives...

One of the things i have liked about the series as a whole is the more 'episode' feel of it - swapping more between characters than any of our other series  but still keeping a 'theme' across different places in each chapter.  I really like this feel, to me it makes each chapter more like a TV episode e.g. Game of Thrones - 3-4 different people/places but with a connecting thread slowly building up - something I tried and didn't quite nail in Children of the Aether, and got better with in Legacy...and now with more experience this has come out better.

Anyway the reason I blather about this is because this is how Fate of the Aether will be structured more as it goes along (Once we get past the 'Set up' chapters), and that was a shift from the one character POVs of my prior stories inspired by the collaboration with Karm on this story. So as Arc 1 comes to a close, much appreciation to Karm for the collab, and our readers for unfailing support as always!.

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: