Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: What You Leave Behind  (Read 56256 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2018, 12:42:42 PM »

So glad I'm not the only one with a strange family. Grin

LOL   Certainly not!  One of our Thanksgiving traditions is the family sparring match.  Complete with armor.  It can get interesting when dad and both daughters are 2nd degree black belts.  :-)  Mom keeps time....   LOL

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »

LOL   Certainly not!  One of our Thanksgiving traditions is the family sparring match.  Complete with armor.  It can get interesting when dad and both daughters are 2nd degree black belts.  :-)  Mom keeps time....   LOL

That's not fair. I wish my family could do that. I don't know that I'd be able to spar after I eat though. Cheesy

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »

That's not fair. I wish my family could do that. I don't know that I'd be able to spar after I eat though. Cheesy

No sparring, no dessert!   ;-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2018, 12:44:26 AM »

No sparring, no dessert!   ;-)

You see, at my house, there is no separation between dinner and dessert. They are both just mingled together into one meal (that lasts all day long).

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2786

Grey Assassin

« Reply #169 on: November 28, 2018, 07:56:48 PM »

You see, at my house, there is no separation between dinner and dessert. They are both just mingled together into one meal (that lasts all day long).

Interesting concept you have going there, Taegin.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2018, 04:38:06 PM »

Interesting concept you have going there, Taegin.

Guess it doesn't technically last all day. We dont usually start eating till 1:00 or 2:00. We usually sit down and eat, then the rest of the day we go back and forth between sleeping it off and eating more. Grin

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2020, 05:52:25 PM »

Time to get this one rolling again....

Chapter 26 – No Longer forgotten
Part One: The Past…

Harsh winds scored against the cloth hastily wrapped around his face.  Even after a thousand years it seemed the hate filled winds had not settled on this cursed planet.

Each step scrunched dried detritus of some form or other – old walls, manuscripts, Carbonized flesh? All turned to an indistinguishable grey sand around the great cliff face that was once part of the library complex.

Ossus was now a land of the dead and dying, a fitting place for Dorian to place the remnants of the Nameless One’s vile arts.

While She was defeated, she was not destroyed, nor all of her Dark Crystals – even if he could Dorian would not go that far…to destroy something completely was…an act of hopelessness, a resignation that there was no potential for good and light within an object or person.

Even after all he had seen he could not bring himself to lose such hope.

Yet his hope was not a naïve one…he well knew he had to keep Her far from her devices and fetishes as possible whilst she…considered the error of her ways…perhaps in a year or two he would return to reclaim them and turn them to a more noble purpose once she saw the truth.

Harsh moistureless rocks scored through his gloves as he climbed toward a gap in the cliff face; on his dried lips a memory motif to remember the exact path.  On this dead world he would place the last Dark crystals beyond her reach…beyond anyone’s reach…hidden in the arid cracked cavern formed from the slow grinding of rocky strata on a planet that was so lifeless it took all the effort he could muster to sense its location.

Dorian paused to rest in the hollow for a moment. He carefully sipped from his bottle, not wasting a drop.  Had he known the state of this world he would’ve worn a full enviro suit…but then that would’ve been too clumsy to climb in…let alone proceed deeper into the cavernous depths.

Still...  Dorian made a note to himself to bring respiration gear and more robust protective clothing. For now, his heavy utilties and simple face veil would have to suffice.

Rested, he countinued up the tortured pathway.  So focused was he on the climb that he nearly missed the opening, damaged by shock and fire and nearly buried by rock fall and drift.  As it was the opening was far to small for an adult human to enter, but a few moments of concentration fixed that and the aging Master ignited a light as he entered the dark, dead cavern.

Stepping into the space Dorian shone the light around, noting cracked walls and debris from the damaged ceiling overhead crushing the fixtures.  Still, unlike the exterior, one could still see the bones of the past here.  This chamber was nothing like the great library with it's lost Hall of Knowledge, but it had been some kind of annex to either that library complex or the Academy, perhaps more like the Gardens of T'alla: a place of reflection and contemplation rather than a storehouse of knowledge and artifacts.

However it had been used it was now all but destroyed, nothing more than broken stone and drifting dust and ash.  Dead, like almost everything else  on Ossus.  Dorian paused, opening himself to he force, humming an enhancement motif as he reached out for the echoes of the past.  After long minutes he sighed.  There was a faint echo, but nothing he could resolve.  Like everything else on this cursed planet, the voices of the ancient Jedi were all but gone.  It just all felt...

...dead...

Dorian suppressed a shudder and pressed on, finding the natural cave opening at the back of the chamber and moving into the cliffs proper.  As he moved deeper into the rock he became aware of the soft background hum he'd hoped for.  The rocks on Ossus were laced with crystal matrix.  Despite the loss of life, the crystals themselves still hummed with the complex harmonies of the Song.

Here...  Dorian stopped as the hum he was hearing was suddenly enhanced by the feed-back characteristics of the place.  He paced around until he found an area of high volume conveniently near the cavern wall.  Carefully he removed the small chest containing her dark crystals.  Setting it aside, he began singing, slowly nitting the fabric of the cavern's native song into an intricate web, a web that would prevent anyone without the key from moving the object which now sat at his side.

It took hours, during which time the lock first grew, then vanished into the background hum of native rock.  Dorian was exhausted when it was finally in place, but he summoned the energy to test it, reaching out with the force for the chest...

The first layer of the song lock sprang, slapping him back and hitting him with the force-equivelent of a high-decibel sonic cannon.  Shaking his head, Dorian nodded in satisfaction.  Successive layers would grow stronger as the lock was triggered, sowing confusion and blocking anyone who triggered it from using the force.  A sufficiently advanced singer could eventually match each layer's harmonic in turn and defuse it, but it would take weeks if not months of painstakingly slow work to do so.  Meanwhile, the crystals would remain inside the song web, trapped, not even detectable unless someone physically came within a few meters of the chest and utterly unable to touch the Song from within.

It was very similar to the web The Nameless One now found herself trapped within, and would serve the same purpose - repentance and redemption.  As Dorian physically buried the chest, he prayed fervently that the Maker would bring Morrigan to repentance and that one day, very soon, he could accompany her to this very spot to recover and redeem her craft.

But until then...  Dorian walked away, gently sweeping the floor behind him with the force to remove all evidence of his presence and work in the cave.  Behind him the crystals lay, buried under rock and sand and cradled in the arms of the song lock, hidden and safe. 

..buried ... and dead ...

<<<<< >>>>>

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2020, 05:53:53 PM »

Chapter 26 – No Longer forgotten
Part Two: Then...

They paused at the crest and turned to look at view across the tree lines. The mountains were white crowned peeks in the crystalline air, pretty in a way…yet inferior compared to home.

The air was thin for a human…it made no difference to them at all.

They’d easily traversed to the top, the gravity less than their home, the terrain easier – even the mountain was inferior she noted, the rock far softer, the temperature barely cool to her body…no wonder the natives of M’Tziogn were so weak and soft….

But she ought not be so dismissive…it was terribly easy to look down on the humans – a dangerous underestimation, they did have some moments of insight.

“It’s near here…” Her sister noted up ahead.  Lysi was very particular about things like this, following their mother’s example ... of course there were no formal titles, every woman embodied the Goddesses … but her aunt often said her mother was in effect their ‘Priestess’...or ‘Nymphomaniac Witch’, either way Lysi as the eldest had followed their mother as was fitting.

Up ahead the cavern had a queer shadowy feel in the Aether, contrasting to the brighter one at the Shrines and Temples of the Mak’Tor further below.  Yet they had a false feel, they felt imposed not embedded into the landscape as this place did, on which basis Lysi had determined it was the best place for them to visit.

While their sisters– well outsiders called them cousins but such distinctions mattered less to People - set up in the Hotel, she and Lysi had come to introduce themselves to the Gods of M’Tzigon as was only polite.

Yara felt terribly sorry for the Gods, or God, or goddess – that were native to this world – the fact she didn’t really know much about it showed how the Mak’Tor who as aether users should be attending to it were simply neglecting it in favour of their impersonal ‘Maker’.

It was such an arrogant contradiction to claim their God was all powerful in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  If their Maker was the only God, why did they have their Goddesses? Why did the Dathomiri have the Fanged God and Winged Goddess, the Miraluka Ashla and Bogan – apparently no one told them they didn’t exist? And what was this Maker doing with his supposed power – for an all-powerful God he seemed pretty mean to allow so much suffering of his own followers.

No they were simply mad, wilfully ignorant of the true nature of Gods and their link to Place and People, and the limitations that came with it.  To believe in an all Good all Powerful god in the face of reality showed its obvious falsity – but numerus partisan and limited Gods was completely consistent with how the universe operated.

They paused at the cave mouth.

“Should we take our clothes off?” Yara queried, Lysi having the same thought, all their sacred spaces required them to be undressed or wear only light garments.

“hmm…I think it should be fine, after all we don’t know what their rules are…”

The moss covered rocks at the edge soon gave way to stark brown and grey rocks deeper in, lit by the reflected light off the snow peaks across the valleys, an antechamber of sorts with various offshoot caverns trailing off into the dark depths.

As they looked about for a shrine or appropriate place the shade that dwelt – or rather was chained within the caverns spied the visitors nervously – these were not the usual little trainees sent to be tempted, nor Karmack who had just been here…hadn’t he…time was…strange in her prison – it could’ve been centuries for all she knew.

“…perhaps they left it natural,” one of the two women said

“There is probably one in the deeper caverns…but it might be forbidden or secret, here should be fine,” She set her pack down on a natural table high outcrop and took out a small carved statue of three women back to back, arms linked, figures curved beneath thin robes, one had a bow, another a book, the third flowers along her arm .

“Deities of M’Tzigon!  I am Lysaea and this is my sister Yaraea, Daughters of the Three Goddesses of Aethas who I have brought with me that you might recognise them.”

The shadow – she had forgotten her name again! - assumed that one was in charge shouting in an echoing voice far too loud, fast and high pitched to be human.

“Children of your world and ours have been in conflict in the past…but we think this is because, in part they have forgotten you, raising shrines to their false Maker insulting your sovereignty – but we remember and ask your blessing for a new start between us!”

Lysi paused looking around for any signs of response, Yara shrugged so they continued on.

“If you will have your children welcome and treat fairly with Us we will welcome and treat fairly with them!”

The shadow heard the queer words and was…curious? was that the feeling? Or rather excited….

“We come here to visit, and learn and trade!” Lysi continued summoning over her small pack with the aether she placed three gifts beside the statue, a bolt of hand spun cloth, dyed red, a heavily redacted, but truthful, hand written vision of the Peoples history, and a handful of purple diamonds that vibrated quietly with the breezes of the aether. The cloth representing Aephrodaea – warm, soft and comforting, the book Aethenaea full of knowledge and the Diamonds Aertemisaea, able to deflect attacks when made into necklace or bracelet.

“Please accept these gifts of from us and our Goddesses,”

Having thus introduced herself Lysi felt satisfied the true Gods of M’Tzigon would be placated and hopefully not feel so neglected, but as they seemed rather quiet she took up her pack and prepared to head off.

“Hey look!” Yara called out noting the shadows shift strangely

She wouldn’t waste the chance to talk to someone…anyone!

“Please don’t go!” taking her cue from the statue they had left the shadow adopted one of her more provocative forms with a flowing white robe just covering her.

The two women’s eyes widened

“I’m so lonely here…”  the Prisoner could only speak the truth here…but the Truth could still be used

“Hardly anyone visits me…” True

“They all seem to worship the Maker now” True

“You’re one of the Goddesses of M’Tzigon!” Lysi said excitedly

Mor…Morri...she still couldn’t catch her own name but could at least reply

“They trapped me here!” True albeit in a holocron

“The Maker Worshippers trapped me here!” That was True too, Dorian did worship the Maker.

“Left me too weak to escape beyond the threshold of the cavern” Also true

Yara put her hand over her mouth in shock that they would abuse the planets Goddess so terribly. Lysi equally shocked probed further.

“Are there other Gods trapped here?”

“No” – True

“Makes sense to keep them apart,” Yara noted, “What can we do to help!” The thought of trapping a Goddess….it was abhorrent, not enough to drive her away with their Maker temples but to lock her up as well, deny her even looking after the woods and rivers, animals and plants!

“Our Goddesses will know what to do!” Lysi added determined to right this terrible blasphemy.

Every place, the Aethan women knew, sometimes only a single valley, other times whole star clusters – had their own God or God’s for the people and living things native to it, the Gods were binding agents between a people, place, aether and universe, the common thread that held them all together, to cut yourself off from that was terrible enough in the women’s eyes, to then lock away that source of connection was beyond the pale.

“They say I can’t leave until I accept the Truth that I am evil and have done wrong in the eyes of the Maker!” the ‘Goddess’ of M’Tziogn added truthfully

Yara gasped at the increasing amount of abominable torture the Mak’Tor were inflicting on her – Gods loved their people, were part of them and answered only to them not some false super deity!

“This is terrible…hmmm I’m not sure what else I can do…” Lysi looked around her pack for anything that might help.

“Hmm…maybe you can talk to our Goddesses through their statue so you won’t be lonely? I don’t really know how Gods talk to each other…I thought perhaps they had a special place they all visit, at least you will recognise them now…”

The shadow resolving more fully as the conversation progressed was loathe to go anywhere near the statue they had put in the cavern, diminished as her senses were, there was something very wrong about that thing and the power behind it - even in her most desperate moments in life against Dorian she would Not have sunk to meddling with such things...

But she wasn't alive anymore.

“Please hurry…I’ve been in here so long…I can no longer even remember my name!” she said truthfully once more.

This was very serious indeed the women realized, no wonder this mad Karmack was going about wrecking things, there was no one to tell him off anymore.

“We’ll do what we can…” If they could get the Goddess of M’Tzigon out she could likely help them keep the Singer from attacking the People!!!

<<<<>>>>

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »

Chapter 26 - No Longer Forgotten
Part Three: Now...

M’Tzigon's sky was peppered with small explosions as they headed up the mountain.

A full tactical squad of ten moved soundlessly and tracklessly over the snow, three as vanguard, three as rear guard and four in the centre guarding the hovering black oubliette.  Their HUD’s picked up the progress of the battle far below them, the Mark IV Dark Troopers might be working for the Mak’Tor, but they still ultimately served People, so far the droids were making a good showing against conventional military forces, on ground and in space

Still there were improvements to be made against aether warriors, the Mak’Tor Knights were not…incompetent…in their battle against the Flagellants and cultists and even held well against the Mark IV’s.

Of course the Tactical Squad Gormin could easily have dispatched both opponents in less than a quarter of the time…but their mission was to observe not intervene directly unless absolutely necessary.

Tactical Squad Gobrils mission on the mountain was different, they were to deliver the oubliette - patterned after Lord Remulus Dreypas Oubliette though naturally enhanced and improved – to the prison and release the trapped Goddess of M’Tzigon.

Their discussions with this Goddess had determined she was imprisoned using a form of Holocron, the make of which was unique even to them.  The fact this Goddess could be trapped in a Holocron was…unusual to say the least…but they were well aware there were many different types of Gods, some of whom were once mortal.

The Vanguard quickly reached the cave, ignored and undefended as all the Knights were focused on the battle below, fighting under the watchful aim of Squad Gormins Arrows…they had to be ready, at any moment they could get the order to open fire on the Mak’Tor…it would be a short battle if it came to it though – able as they were 85% of the knights would be dead in the first 8 seconds unable to adapt their tactics to teleporting aether guided arrows of ultra-dense blackstone in time.

Unclasping their packs Gobril began setting up the suppressive fields.  The design of the prison was effective, the Aether Architect was very clever and powerful…but there were a number of techniques the Aether Architect had simply not been aware of, and like so many outsiders had designed the prison to prevent humans like himself from breaking it, not People with far more advanced cognition.

The caves were not overly deep nor complex, at any rate they were all acquainted with such caverns from Home.  They soon found the main chamber where an Aetheric illusion protected the prison shrine making it appear a rock wall.

For species like the Miraluka, or their genetic descendants, who could see using the aether, it was pointless and indeed the aetheric emanation made it easier to find  -once more the imaginative limits of the architect were on full display.

“Here…” Lysi ordered them to bring up the oubliette as she shattered the illusion with a tap.

Behind it was a small plinth with an etched cube holocron, aurebesh font indicated it was about 2500 years old. She gently probed it with the aether, soon getting a response as the Goddess appeared.

“You…you returned…” if a disembodied creature like the Nameless one could feel surprise then she felt it now.

“We said we would…”  Lysi replied assessing the holocrons defenses…it had a weaving interlocking and rhythmic aetheric wall that couldn’t be opened from the outside…yet there was…a  ‘door’ but it was locked from the inside…

“I see what you mean now…” Lysi went on, “It’s easy to escape…but only if you fulfill its conditions of criticizing yourself and bowing to their false God….”

“Despicable!” Mari spat behind her preparing the oubliette.

“And…yes when it is opened you won’t be truly free for anything expect to dissolve into death…”

It was a sick punishment indeed, this poor woman-goddess was kept alive in a prison and taunted with escape that could only result in her death…despicable indeed.

But no wall was invincible…the song like binding was tightly and carefully wound…but like any ‘wave’ it could be offset with a corresponding wave of the exact opposite wavelength and opposing amplitude…then they had to capture the released spirit into a body quickly.

Linking minds with her sisters they soon devised a method – they would create a pocket surrounded by aether null fields to ensure once the spirit was released it couldn’t dissolve too far away in the critical seconds, meanwhile they would unwind the song with its counter harmony.

The original architect had been highly skilled no doubt…but was still only human, limited to one level of conscious thought…to memorize and unwind such a Song Lock would require a human singer to study the song in full, devise a precise counter and insert it perfectly like a DNA double helix, every ‘note’ had to exactly offset.

Dorian had never imagined such a thing was possible – Master Singers were few and far between, and even should one arise it would he thought take weeks of effort to devise the counter song, and be near on impossible to play the anti-song in the force perfectly enough to breach the Song lock.

He had not anticipated the existence of a race of beings whose parents would sing them to sleep with words and the aether from birth, who lived on a world where avian species trilled in the aether to each other, whose minds were capable of eight levels of human genius cognition at once…and who could integrate seamlessly with their siblings in a synchronicity that Multiplied their intelligence and power not just added it together.

Even for all this the breaching of the walls of the holocron was not easy for them, they had not encountered such a precision crafted Song Lock before…they took their time, triple checked their counter song carefully…marveling at the intricacy and creativity of the architect, able to respect his work even as they undid it – all of them were soon using one of their spare levels of consciousness to determine ways to upgrade their own aetheric security systems with a more Perfect Song lock of this kind.

Morrigan unable to fully sense the Force mechanics in her drifting state began to feel herself seep away as the walls were removed…she felt…even more spread out than before – her consciousness was a drop of dye hitting the ocean, through natural process about to dissolve across the vastness of the seas never to be reconstructed again.

But as she slipped a firm…and terrifying hand gripped her together…some small pieces slipped through fingers but nothing essential.

She felt…Pushed into a form as the oubliette hissed open.   

The body within was a Stage 3 Meta-Human, cloned specifically for purpose based on the M’Tzigon Goddesses preferred specifications.

They were of course not foolish enough to give her a body that could threaten them, Stage 3 was almost primordial compared to People, it contained no Miraluka sequences, was limited in life span to 250 years, standard if upgraded homeostatic systems and organs and only 2.5X standard human speed and strength, roughly equivalent to Nimmin Cha’s enhanced base line. 

There were of course other redundancies and fail-safes to keep People Safe, the ability to activate physical overrides much like those that affected Zearic Vih’torr a distant hybrid descendant of People whose remnant sequences had recently been reactivated – they were still unsure exactly what effect it would have on him, there were theories of course, but 20 generations of dilution added so many potential variable they had to simply wait and watch.

As much as they wanted to help, they could never fully trust any Outsider – God or not – they well understood that Gods were tribal as their people.

The song lock finally dissolving, the holocron seemed to deflate as its purpose was lost and the last tendrils of its prisoner flowed from crystal to flesh and blood.

“Now,” Lysi ordered.

Yara raised a finger and shot a bolt of red lighting into the naked breast of the body initiating homeostatic systems.

The heart thumped strongly, the breath entered.

Morrigan's eyes opened.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2020, 12:21:49 AM »

Chapter 27 -  Fallout
Part One: New Dawns

The sun rose over a different planet.

M’Tzigon was still there, the physical accumulation of mostly silicon and iron that spun about a distant yellow sun, but the essence of the world that woke on S'Kar'Yom morning to blood spattered snow and the scent of smoke was indelibly changed.

They had escaped the wrath of the Empire and the desolation caused by the Clone Wars before that: for some it seemed fate had finally caught up to them.  For others fate had been summoned to them ... by Mak’tor meddling where they didn't belong.

Militarily losses were relatively few, apart from the Requiem's initial assault and the losses on Lunar 3.  General Cliff’s strategy of holding back his forces and using the Mark IV droids to spearhead the ground and orbital battle had worked: of 80 droids deployed, 48 had been destroyed beyond repair, but they had eliminated over 3000 Alliance troops, two corvettes and dozens of Imperial mech units at the spaceport and power plants.

In the cold logic of post-engagement analysis they were a resounding success. Cliff’s sole regret was not being able to afford a full legion of them.

The Hornet and other M’Tzigon fleet elements tracked the Elinga, the Rebel Command Ship, to the edge of a nearby empty system. There they found a confused Commander Gingal, who had finally re-established contact with Alliance command only to discover that they had never heard of a "Jedi Master Gaetana", nor the "Mad Singer Ka’Ah’Re’Mack".

When hailed, Gingal agreed to parlay with the M'Tzigon forces and a negotiating party was dispatched.  When they met the Rebel command team Knight Da'Ne'Mass instantly felt the back-wash of Mendax' mind control from all of the senior officers, exactly as the Gray Singers had reported feeling from the Captain Nyder, commander of the surrendered Requiem, though in her case the intensity was far greater and her withdrawl systems left her struggling just to piece together coherent thought while Commander Gingal and his officers were simply deeply confused and disoriented.

With Captain Nyder incapacitated, Lieutenant Regann Nordas of the Imperial contingent was instrumental in ensuring a smooth surrender of the Requiem and the few Imperial forces still holed out up after an aborted assault on Lunar 4 that had gone unnoticed – he had surrendered to Mendax and Gingal to save his men once and was not too proud to surrender once more to save the lives of his remaining forces and prevent their dying in another pointless battle.

Of the invading fleet only one ship was not found by the Jokers as they sought to track down the location of all ships involved in the orbital battle.  Zearics Bane, Mendax' Raider 2 Corvette had simply dissappeared.  Adding to the mystery, it's small crew was found in an airlock on Lunar base 5.  No one knew how they got there or what had become of their ship.  Even under Jaim’s interrogation their memories were simply ... not there.

Across the ruin of the Temple the Men-At-Arms began clearing up the bodies and debris as best they could.  Many of the residents of the Temple Precinct approached the area, attempting to volunteer, but were kept behind the hastily erected barricades while the scene was examined.

Among the prefab tents set up around the ruin of the Temple was a M.A.S.H. unit filled with the injured Knights of the Mak’tor, emotions shattered along with their bodies.  They had won the battle; defeated the dark-siders; the Master of Song had destroyed Mendax and prevented a thought bomb from desolating the planet...

Yet none had ever felt so defeated.

Their Kage was dead. The Master of Blades and Master of Balance were on life support.  All had been cut down by one man - a man that General Cliff had then apologized to for the Kage's attempt to arrest him.

The Death of Silman Lo and a dozen other Mak'Tor was emblematic of the split between the Military and the Knights. Silman had refused to follow Cliff's demands and pull back from the Temple; Cliff had refused to hold back the Droids despite their lack of friend-foe identifiers; Silman had refused to accept the Dark Warriors credentials issued by General Cliff; General Cliff refused to censure the Dark Warrior or his employers for destroying the Kage and instead blamed Silman for the whole disaster.

They were talking past each other now, Knights and Officers convinced of their own right and the others wrong:
   “The Knights disobeyed a direct order to get out of the way of the droids,”
   “Cliff refused to listen to the Kage because he hates Karmack”
   “Karmack Brought Mendax here, the blood is on his hands! Cliff saved hundreds of lives by using the droids!”
   “He threw untested, out of control machines into the battlefield and let that Murderer just walk away! Silmans blood was still on his fists...”

As his body slowly repaired Karmack heard the whispers and felt the staring eyes upon him. The attention from his fellow Knights was split; the attetion from the Sword of Light Commandos securing the site far more hostile.  Cliff had deployed the Sword of Light to patrol the Temple and provide security for the convalescing Knights – and also (he suspected) to keep a close eye on them.

"Take what you want and pay for it” Zearic’s phrase rumbled in his head triggering ugly recriminations on how he might’ve stopped all this.  The unexpected meeting on Geonosis, the chance to end Mendax by doing a deal across Time and Space.  He had refused ... and M’Tzigon had paid the price.

Guilt twisted the knife in his gut.  Oh he could see that Mendax' actions were not his responsibility.  The blood was on her hands ... but if he accepted that position so too did he have to wash her revivers of responsibility. If he was not accountable for the terror Mendax wrought even after refusing to stop her how could he hold them responsible for it after they healed her?

No! There was a difference!  They actively assisted a mad woman, I only refused to murder one...

Karmack shook off the guilt.  They were the ones who enabled all this, they who killed Silman, they who let crazed droids loose on the Knights,  all so they could learn how the Ancient One worked. They... The Dark ones... "Black Armour"s... Nameless and vile... An evil worse than Mendax!

“Take what you want and make others pay for it.”  That was their creed, they took everything and risked nothing in return...

The energies of the Ancient One caressed his mind as he gripped his sabre tightly beneath the flimsy medical sheets.

No. He would never allow them to have it.

<<<<>>>>

Council of Maenowans

“Let us keep a moment of silence for those fallen,” Ju’Lus began the convocation of Maenowans sombrely.

The silence that followed seemed to echo off the walls of the meeting chamber deep in the Mountain, the empty space on the carved list of Kage’s on the far wall where Silman’s name was yet to be entered another speechless reminder of their losses.

After what felt like and eternity it was broken by Ju’Lus quiet but firm voice.  “I call this convocation to order.” A light tap of the ceremonial gavel and the proceeding began with the surviving 15 Maenowans on planet in attendance seated around the large round table, carefully etched with scroll work and verses from the Book of the Way exhorting wisdom but also temperance, and above all a reminder of the heavy responsibility all leaders had.  “My friends, our first order of business must be the election of a new ...”

“A moment Master.  I believe it is important that we assembled understand the nature of the threat that we now face.  A moment to explain, if I may?” Karmack interrupted, ignoring the sets of eyes that now bored into him from around the table.

Ju'Lus scanned the room, but then sighed in resignation.  “Very well.  Master Karmack has the floor.”  Ju’Lus sat, yielding despite a number of indignant expressions.

Karmack nodded his thanks and turned to face his peers.  "Fellow Masters ... Friends ... The dark singer Mendax has been defeated but I fear there is a far greater and more dangerous enemy at work.  Our Kage gave his very life standing against them - the black-armored warriors, the Dark ones even now inflitrating our very world and society."

The murmurs were stifled but they were there Chillum noted.

"Kage Lo stood because he knew the truth: These beings have no respect of life, no regard for the Way or the Song.  They seek only power, to what end I know not.  When I went to Commenor they approached me desiring a copy of the Ancient One.  They promised great things in exchange for it's knowledge and wisdom but refused to share what their purpose for it would be.  When I refused to allow them access to it they offered threat.  It was shortly thereafter that I encountered Mendax on Vyth, not only impossibly alive but renewed and strengthend and in possession of a device which enveloped her in a force-null field.  She used it to attack me with a thought bomb in the caverns of Vyth, which I barely survived with the aid of the Ancient One."

“cccggh…nerfshell…” someone coughed not subtly

"Unable to believe even my own eyes," Karmack continued evenly, "I sought out Mendax' grave on Geonosis.  Using songs taught to me by Master Odjina, I was able to enter a flow walk and observed these Dark Ones rescue Mendax months ago, intent on setting her loose with no regard as to the consequnces.  When I spoke with one of them, and he offered..."

Across from Karmack, Maenoan Ra’Qe’Nell groaned and buried her face in her hands in utter disbelief at this insane story of dead women rising, time travel, and thought bombs.  Du'An Chillum kept his face neutral.  Next to him Maenowan Telow'Na Jackson radiated only anger, her own experience with the "Dark Ones" and their drones clearly influencing her to agree with him, despite the incredible nature of his story.  She glared at Master Do'Ran, who again coughed loudly into his hand to cover another rude exclamation.

Karmack again brushed off the interruption.  “...he offered to destroy Mendax in my time in exchange, again, for the Ancient One.  This confirmed to me that my refusal on Commenor was the trigger that led them to unleash Mendax on us, as well as reinforcing my conviction that it is imperetive that we keep such power from these ... these creatures..."  Karmack's voice broke and he closed his eyes briefly as the image of his Kage ... his friend ... shining like a beacon in the Force...

...only to be destroyed, the light extinguished by that Oblivion-clad Monster.

Karmack cleared his throat and continued.  "These ... creatures ... have no morality beyond their own desires.  They defy the very laws of physics and nature itself, as if they no longer apply to them.  They ripped my son's memories from him, twist time as if it is their personal playground, revive the dead with no regard for the natural order of life, offer artifacts of tremendous and sickening power such as these null collars, the Mark IV drones, even the Tenebris Pugione, which are beyond our ability to understand.  Under the guise of helping and healing they resurrect twisted and evil sentients like Mendax and turn good, decent men like Zearic Vih'Torr into helpless patsies.  They seek out the most powerful force relics they can find, such as the Ancient One and the Holocron of Soryu...

Another sigh of incredulity, stronger this time, rippled around the table.

"...and employing the most vile of agents – Nimmin Cha not the least of which I’ve no doubt. These dark creatures will stop at nothing to obtain what they desire.  They ALREADY control vast armies of advanced droids and create wars simply to test them!  I believe it is no exaggeration to say these beings are worse than the Inquisition!  They are more powerful individually and have far more advanced weapons and knowledge of the Force than ANY inquisitor.  Arguably better knowledge of both force and Song than we do, and they seek to constantly and rapaciously expand it under the guise of ‘self defense’.”

As Karmack paused he glanced around the table.  Half the gathered Maenowans looked at him as if he were a poor comedian. Of the other half a few nodded with firm gazes of confidence, but most seemed uncertain or simply unmoved.  To his sadness even Chillum seemed lukewarm.

Karmack made one last attempt, leaning on the table, his voice filled with urgency.  “My friends, make no mistake: This is a greater threat than the Empire ever was to us.  I would gladly trade these enemies for the return of Vader and Palpatine!  We need to arm and prepare for their next move, but as a start they must be expelled from M’tzigon, by force if necessary, their droids melted to scrap and every shred of their "oblivion" based technology eradicated!  We must call on the Vhal’dan and the Templars, to warn them and form an alliance against these ...”

“Oh for frells sake, is this going to go on any longer?” Ra’qel finally complained out loud.  “It’s like a campaign speech for President of the Crazy Conspiracy Society! You talk as if these people were an army of Revan’s, or Black Rikards, or mythical Aetharians!  They’re just men and so are you!” her finger jabbing at Karmack with each word “Even with your fancy crystal...”

“Enough!” Ju’lus interrupted.  His voice, normally soft, crackled with the authority of his age and position.   “Master Mack do you have anything further to add?”

Karmack sighed Yes, much, but it seems the Masters of the Mak'Tor wish to bury their heads in the sand rather than listen... he thought, but bit off the bitter reply.  "No, Master Ju'Lus.  I yield." he said instead, taking his seat again.

“Very good.  In that case, assuming no one has anything additional to add, we will proceed with the discussion of the election of a new Kage.  To that end I have recalled a number of other Maenowans who should be arriving over the next few days...”

Karmack sat, his mind cataloging the discussion as it progressed but his attention was on other things, while next to him Du'An Chillum mused over Ra'Qel's statement.

Aetharians... Chillum rolled the name of ancient myth around in his head.  Now there's an ancient and obscure myth!  I doubt even Karm knows about that one.  Aetharians .... and something Zearic had mentioned a few months back ... [i/]  He would need to dust off some old tomes, but maybe, just maybe there would be something to give them a clue as to who these creatures were.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2020, 12:24:21 AM »

Chapter 27 - Fallout
Part 2: Return Trip

Er’Lav’Racc’s eyes were strained from reading dozens of post battle briefings from different sources. She paused and sat back, rubbing her eyes in the swirling blue light of hyperspace, and sighed.  I am travelling straight into the biggest shavit-storm M'Tzigon and the Order has probably ever faced.  At least since Kage Li inherited the Order from Kage Odjina after Vyth and the expulsion!

Sighing again she turned her attention back to the reports on her screen.  General Cliff and the Joint Chiefs argued the attack was the responsibility of Darth Mendax – obviously – but motivated specifically by the interference of Mak’tor Knights – naming explicitly one "Ka’Ah’Re’Mack" - Karmack – in his operations the previous year.  The battle was overall a success, the Droids performed exceptionally with a high kill ratio, and the Fleet did very well against such an unexpected conglomerate force.

The knights however were derided as having interfered with the Men-At-Arm’s defensive strategy by deploying to the Temple against General Cliffs explicit orders, and then assaulting an Aertemis Industries observer for no apparent reason.

Karmack again was singled out for inexplicably destroying Four Mark IV battle droids that had him under house arrest and suggested he be personally fined for their replacement, then intervening in the battle against General Cliff’s orders.

The Report from acting-Kage Ju’Lus Master of Healing presented a very different view. Mendax had come to M’Tzigon as a result of the manipulation of persons unknown, the Droids were out of control killing machines that had slaughtered 8 Knights and destroyed much of the Temple precinct by firing their backpack missile indiscriminately, and the Fleet’s success was largely due to Karmack forcing Mendax to break her mind control over her thralls in time to prevent the Requiem's self-destruction.  Added to this, Karmack's efforts in stopping a Thought Bomb was also credited as the critical factor in M’Tzigon escaping utter desolation.

She rubbed her weary head as the ship popped with a shudder out of hyperspace. Both reports had truth to them, and yet neither could agree.  The lack of co-operation had already cost too many lives ... it had to end.

She set both reports beside her.  If she was to get to the truth she needed to focus on the only common denominator – Karmack.

<<<<>>>>

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2020, 12:26:13 AM »

Chapter 27 - Fallout
Part 3: Cliff

There were two camps: one in order as good, in fact probably better condition than when the Men at Arms had set it up.  The other made a nerf-sty look hygienic.

Whilst most of the attackers had left with the Rebel fleet, nearly 800 remained in two parties – a group of 300 former pirates, raiders, and mercenaries with a handful of former cultists and Red Police mixed in for good measure on one side, and on the other 500 former Imperials who had only grudgingly joined the Rebels for the attack on M’tzigon and refused the opportunity to leave with them.

As Cliff wandered in the gap between the electro-fences he wondered which he should be more worried about; the violent vicious Pirates half trashing the camp they were held in, or the regimented Imperials who were divided into squads performing exercises and drills as if this were boot camp.

“Status captain…” he asked

“No outright riots so far, the pirates were unhappy with the rations last night, but it’s the Imp’s that worry me.  They’re ... too organised.  They’ve asked that all instructions go through their commander Lieutenant Nordas.

"Nordas..."  He had helped round up the Imperials after the battle, yet had chosen not to stay with the Rebels.  Now, why was that? Cliff wondered.   “I’d like to speak to this Nordas...”

Passing through the double ring fence he saw two Imperials on guard at the entrance, one of which headed off to relay Cliffs arrival in unnerving chain of command.

Soon enough Nordas arrived with three other officers.

Saluting they all stood at attention.  “General.”

“Lieutenant. Quite the operation you have here.”

“Simply trying to maintain discipline sir.  There has been much disruption, some routine will do us good.”

Cliff nodded. “Indeed. I must say I was surprised you didn’t accept Gingal’s offer to join the Rebels after fighting beside them.”

Nordas back became even straighter if such was even possible.  “Oorous System had little communications with the rest of the Galaxy, General. I did what was necessary to preserve my men’s lives, and Gaet.. Mendax ... had me believe the Empire had integrated into the Alliance and we were here to remove a local Tyrant.  Once I learnt that the Empire - even divided - still remains...” His voice was firm and steady.  “Sir, My Oath was to the Empire and the Emperor.  One may be gone, but the other remains.”

Cliff nodded, this was a man who took his duty very seriously, a good loyal officer the Empire had too few of.

“I understand ... but you see the difficult position this leaves me in Lieutenant. I can’t keep 500 prisoners of war indefinitely, nor transport you to Imperial space safely.”

“I understand general. Unfortunately we don’t exactly have any credits to pay for passage, only our labour ... if you would be so inclined to use it.”

He’s been planning this... Cliff realised, once again appreciating Nordas skill as a leader for his men and women.

Cliff turned away slightly, looking out at the horizon while his mind's eye travelled even further.  There was a huge amount of post-battle clean-up needed in and around the Temple district ... and it was more economical to use 100 Men-at –Arms overseeing 500 Imperials than sending 500 Men-At-Arms or civilian contract labor in to do the work.

Cliff met the younger officer's eyes levelly.  “I’ll consider it Lieutenant ... very carefully.”

<<<<>>>>

The ruckus in the other camp was unending.  Already a few pirates had set up black markets trading in rations and small gangs were beginning to form around the strongmen.

If Orfa were to have any chance of getting out she needed to act fast.

The young Jedi might have beaten her on Lunar 3, their fleet of pirate ships likely sent to be scuttled or recycled by the Men-At-Arms – but on the upside Misrum and Mendax were both dead, leaving her the only one with any real Force ability left.

Hopping off her collapsible bunk she scratched at the bandages around her head just under the lekku where the young knight had pommel struck her – that pain would feed her power.

Stepping out she surveyed the situation around the centre of the camp, noting four groups were forming around each of the larger tents.  Along the electro-fences Men-At-Arms and a scattering of other troops with Sword symbols patrolled - watcing but not intervening in the minor fights.

Smart enough to know better than to come down here

She strode to the centre clearing where small portable fountains had been set up for drinking water and pushed her presence outward – she might not have Mendax power of direct mind control, but with this lot she didn’t need it.  “Mendax is dead, Misrum is dead!” she yelled, attracting the guards attention above.  “I, Illiv Orfa am now your Captain, your Mistress, your frelling Queen!”

She noted the few smirks at the sight of a female twi’lek taking charge  “Anyone who wants to challenge step up now so I can ram my fist up your exhaust port and have you thank me for it!”

She felt out the crowd.  About a third – those that had already been in her faction under Mendax - seemed if not enthusiastic then at least content with he declaration. Another third seemed uncertain, waiting to see who stepped up, the rest...

“You just a twi’leki whore,” a vast Yinchorri stepped forward, arms covered in a mix of scars and tattoos.  “And I’ll fill your tight arse with my….ccchhh”

Hand stretched out she grasped at his neck with the Force, strain on her face as lifted him as well, her strength still recovering from her over exertion in the attack. The Yinchorri however were immune to all but the most extreme telepathic force powers, giving her no choice but to exert herself again.

She managed to bark a laugh despite the strain as she taunted him. “What were you saying vog kisser?”

The Yinchorri gripped at his throat.  If it had skin rather than scales she was sure it would be turning blue. Its feet bagan waving in the air ... then dropped gasping.

“That’s enough of that!” One of the guards with the Sword symbol was suddenly behind her, flanked by half a dozen Men-At-Arms in riot gear, the Sword of Light Member using a counter –tune to cut the choking power.  “You’re headed to solitary,” he continued.
Without warning Orfa spun and slammed her fist into his stomach – the armour took the brunt but he was winded by the sheer shock of a prisoner attacking despite the fact he was armed.

“Frell you all!  Grab them!”

As one the pirates that had crowded around started attacking, the Men-At Arms twirling their electro-staves and hammering a retreat as those on the walls opened up with stun nets.

Hurling off a Rodian the Sword of Light officer rejoined the Riot squad as they retreated, their blast shields bounding off rocks and the occasional piece of funiture thrown at them.

From the guard tower near the gate General Cliff looked down on the riot.  The Men-At-Arms got out safely enough, but the first blow had been struck, and while they were able soldiers they were simply not equipped to handle this many violent prisoners in one place.

His eyes fixed on the Twi’leki woman Orfa.  She stood atop the water dispenser like an all conquering queen having won the day psychologically – they couldn’t get to her now without a full on riot ensuing, and he had no desire to risk his men on these pirates.  Should’ve just shot the lot of them... he cursed at impracticalities of following codes of conduct in warfare that the other side most certainly would not have had the roles ben reversed.

Feeling the heat of his stare Orfa looked up with a smile. She had the 300 pirates, had set up a conflict, now ... now she just had to nurture it a bit more ... then barter peace for her freedom.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2020, 04:39:12 AM »

Nice! Very smoothly done, was like reading it fresh even though I think I drafted a bit of it, you've made some great improvements.  Really shows that once the 'bad guy' is beat and the battle won...well that's not the end of the story...always another trial...internally and externally.  The Army and Knights are at odds, the Maenowans are at odds, the Pirates and the men at arms are at odds...the only one not 'reacting' at the moment seems to be Er'Lav, literally placed in the middle of the chapter as the one neutral point...even Karmack is going partisan - not without reason of course, but still....

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2020, 01:51:31 PM »

Thanks.   The part that always grips me with this is the way we're still spiraling down.  Mendax is defeated finally, the remnants are being dealt with ... but there's still conflict.   Serious conflict. 

The threat is not past.

And Karm knows it ... but he's in a bit of a pickle of his own making now.  He's rushing ahead, leaving his peers further and further behind, and his warnings are starting to sound, well, like fantasies.

Its not exactly Chicken Little ... but it is a bit in the same vein. 

And Er'Lav...   She may just wish she'd stayed put...   

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2020, 04:46:04 PM »

YES!!!

I was so excited to see the next chapter up!  And having said that...

"The battle is over; the war continues."  Here we find that those who have fought are coming to VERY different conclusions, M'tzigon the arena of not only conventional warfare but soon--very soon--political schisms that will threaten everyone.

I'm reminded of the argument between Ken and Jorya in "The Gray&the Unchained" when she all but accuses Ken of having grown up on a beautiful, verdant world absent of adversity (not true of course but...)  And now, M’tzigon has some new scars, some that are going to be very, very deep, both obvious...and subtle.  Worse: the fracturing between/into disparate factions that inherently believe that they are right.  The fact that they ARE only underscores the OTHER fact that they are also operating (in part) in the dark...and they are unwilling to consider anyone else's position.

EXCELLENT pathos!!

And here we see where Karmack's path begins to deviate from his other Mak'Tor, pulling into himself while becoming insular against those around him.  The fact that he's NOT WRONG makes this even more interesting...and tragic.

AWESOME work!!  I canNOT wait for the next chapter  Grin

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: