Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Second Contact  (Read 4574 times)
Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« on: May 06, 2018, 06:10:15 AM »

I really didn't want to post this. But I'm forcing myself to put it all out there. This is my second time picking up a saber since April 19th due to an injury, and second time attempting some contact moves. I added weight to the bottom of the hilt and cut the blade down to 30" to help with the balance.
I know it's super sloppy. I would appreciate any and all tips or advice. Special thanks to Darth Cephalus, Samhain and Master Enso Marr for the inspiration.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKNWN7MGxHo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKNWN7MGxHo</a>

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 06:32:58 AM »

Don't think I can really give an advice, I better at putting a saber together then I am spinning them. Plus I have a shoulder injury right now myself (strong arm) and I'm lucky getting a t shirt on and off with grace right now LOL.

Looks like you are doing a great job after only picking it up twice in almost a month. You got the well so you will get it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 06:47:44 AM »

Like tx_, I can't really give much advice, but I can give encouragement. That was great. It actually looked pretty good. I will say I'm a little jealous, because I've been trying to learn a neck roll like that myself recently, and it doesn't look nearly as good as yours. I guess my only advice is keep at it. Take it slow so you don't hurt yourself, but keep doing stuff (I should probably take my own advice here Roll Eyes).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Cephalus
Supreme Heresiarch of Inadvisable Saber Techniques
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -915

Who watches the watchmen?

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 06:57:14 AM »

I can give you a couple of pointers in general, but is should be noted that you are off to a real good start. Weighting the pommel and shortening the blade was the right way to go. The Rubber O rings will give you some grip, but I would strongly advise a lot of grip tape, especially near the point of balance. It helps a lot to be able to have the saber roll rather than slide. It is also somewhat helpful to mark the point of balance somehow. Finally, I suggest practicing over soft grass in the open. The knowledge that you can just let the saber fall, helps you get more comfortable with it. I messed up a lot of moves by snapping to grab it when something felt off because I knew it would get damaged if it fell. To get some of these moves, it will fall a lot. Practicing somewhere you can let that happen helps.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »

Hey awesome GW!  Looks excellent for not picking it up in a while. 

I'd be throwing it all over the place.

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »

😯 damn, dude! Keep the contact adventure going🤙🏻  you’re getting this stuff pretty slick, and i can’t wait to see more😁. Thanks for the post, and showing the work- you don’t  get there any other way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

Matt Nihilus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -170

Matt Akur

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »

Very cool! It looks really nice like the other moves you've showed us  Cool. Keep going, it seems to that you get the move down each time soon. (+1) Wink

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 03:07:44 PM »

It'll come back is about all I can say.
You've been away from it for awhile

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 03:36:46 PM »

Looks good.  Like DC said, something with some grip or a heftier pommel will help. When it comes to this stuff it’s best to do it slowly and as correctly as you can, break the move into sections.  Practice the sections separately and then connect them.  The thing to remember is once you’ve got it, you’ve got it, it doesn’t go away.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »

Thanks guys! Great advice and encouragement. I'm glad I decided to post this. You should have seen the first few minutes I cut from the video.
It was nothing but face slaps and saber drops.LOL. I don't know how to edit things together yet, so my videos will be short of full of mistakes for a while. All your comments give me inspiration to try even harder. If you guys ever see me doing things that look straight up bad though, please let me know. I need to keep tightening it up quite a bit and expanding on the moves, then start working these moves into a flow. Oh and tx, I hope your shoulder gets better soon.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 08:43:20 PM »

Thanks guys! Great advice and encouragement. I'm glad I decided to post this. You should have seen the first few minutes I cut from the video.
It was nothing but face slaps and saber drops.LOL. I don't know how to edit things together yet, so my videos will be short of full of mistakes for a while. All your comments give me inspiration to try even harder. If you guys ever see me doing things that look straight up bad though, please let me know. I need to keep tightening it up quite a bit and expanding on the moves, then start working these moves into a flow. Oh and tx, I hope your shoulder gets better soon.
Just a matter of time. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 12:18:43 AM »

That "Triumvirate" you listed in the OP will take you the furthest possible with this, I can only encourage you and wish you all the fun while learning contact moves!
I tried this once and figured out that sabers can fly really far. Calling it "semi-contact moves" would still be an overstatement the way I did it while you effortlessly managed to stay in the same camera angle all along!
Good luck! Smiley

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 12:26:15 AM »

That "Triumvirate" you listed in the OP will take you the furthest possible with this, I can only encourage you and wish you all the fun while learning contact moves!
I tried this once and figured out that sabers can fly really far. Calling it "semi-contact moves" would still be an overstatement the way I did it while you effortlessly managed to stay in the same camera angle all along!
Good luck! Smiley

Thank you Master Medwyn. I had to look up "Triumvirate". Word of the day and very appropriate. Smiley

Enso Marr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -43

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 02:00:36 PM »

Looking good. Just a matter of practice now.

Breaking this down:
The saber in a contact technique has two modes of movement: rotation about the body, and rolling along the body. Learning the technique means teaching your body to maintain the correct roll to rotation ratio. Releasing the saber at the neck and the movement of the neck imparts a certain rotation. Movement of the receiving shoulder and the angle of the arm controls the rolling motion.

Issue: Saber blade contacts body as the hilt rolls down the arm. This is a rotation issue.
Solution 1: Turn the body in a spinning motion away from the blade. This reduces effective rotation.
Solution 2: Raise the arm as the saber rolls past mid bicep/elbow, catch saber above head.

Issue: Saber catch is awkward.
Solution 1: Raise the arm as the saber rolls down and use a wrist wrap into a catch. This means having your palm facing out instead of facing in. Admittedly, much more difficult with a saber.
Solution 2: Adjusting the angle of rotation off the horizontal plane opens more angles for catching, but this is a bit of an advanced application.

May your fire burn both bright and beautiful, within and around you, that all may know your unrelenting freedom.

Follow @MasterEnso on Instagram for regular lightsaber and fire shenanigans.

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 08:10:20 PM »

Looking good. Just a matter of practice now.

Breaking this down:
The saber in a contact technique has two modes of movement: rotation about the body, and rolling along the body. Learning the technique means teaching your body to maintain the correct roll to rotation ratio. Releasing the saber at the neck and the movement of the neck imparts a certain rotation. Movement of the receiving shoulder and the angle of the arm controls the rolling motion.

Issue: Saber blade contacts body as the hilt rolls down the arm. This is a rotation issue.
Solution 1: Turn the body in a spinning motion away from the blade. This reduces effective rotation.
Solution 2: Raise the arm as the saber rolls past mid bicep/elbow, catch saber above head.

Issue: Saber catch is awkward.
Solution 1: Raise the arm as the saber rolls down and use a wrist wrap into a catch. This means having your palm facing out instead of facing in. Admittedly, much more difficult with a saber.
Solution 2: Adjusting the angle of rotation off the horizontal plane opens more angles for catching, but this is a bit of an advanced application.

Thank you Master Enso. These are great tips.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: