Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Adding Obsidian to an Emerald Saber DIY Question  (Read 3219 times)
jazzman23
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 28

« on: May 07, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »

A few weeks ago, I received a Mystery Box saber that has premium sound. Now, it’s an amazing hilt, but it’s too large for my boys to handle. My thought was to purchase a hilt with the emerald driver and cannabalize my mystery box saber, using that to add Obsidian to the emerald hilt.

So, is this possible not knowing the power needs of both put together, and has anyone done this before? I’d love to get some insight!  Smiley thank you in advance!

Light side points, please!

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »

Yep, easy as pie Smiley.  They run on the same power sources- well to be fair- the handy thing about the emerald is that it can easily be switched between lower 3.7V sources and larger 7.4V, just by switching settings in software.  Pretty handy considering in most other cases you have to actually shop the right board for the right V.  I wish more companies/ boards did this. 

Thing is tho... you’re gonna wanna be somewhat familiar with tinkering/ wiring, or adventurous lol.

(EDIT) forgot to explain something- you don’t have to worry about the power consumption, the combined current draw of the 2 boards, at all.  That’s not really what’s important, all you need to make sure is that both boards are set up to run at the same voltage, which they are Smiley.  A lot to explain but the emerald is a driver for the led, your led is gonna suck power regardless- resistors or buck pucks govern this process so to speak.  OR the emerald led driver fulfills that role, only times infinity to the power of 37 on steroids, in a spaceship. 

Hope that makes sense?

jazzman23
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:29:29 PM »

Yep, easy as pie Smiley.  They run on the same power sources- well to be fair- the handy thing about the emerald is that it can easily be switched between lower 3.7V sources and larger 7.4V, just by switching settings in software.  Pretty handy considering in most other cases you have to actually shop the right board for the right V.  I wish more companies/ boards did this. 

Thing is tho... you’re gonna wanna be somewhat familiar with tinkering/ wiring, or adventurous lol.

(EDIT) forgot to explain something- you don’t have to worry about the power consumption, the combined current draw of the 2 boards, at all.  That’s not really what’s important, all you need to make sure is that both boards are set up to run at the same voltage, which they are Smiley.  A lot to explain but the emerald is a driver for the led, your led is gonna suck power regardless- resistors or buck pucks govern this process so to speak.  OR the emerald led driver fulfills that role, only times infinity to the power of 37 on steroids, in a spaceship. 

Hope that makes sense?

It makes perfect sense, Revan! Thank you so much! One last question- once I installed the Obsodian in to the saber, would I be able to program flash on clash in the software? Thank you!!

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 02:35:28 AM »

Ah- glad u asked that now.  Actually, if that saber isn’t set up with FoC now, then you’ll want to address that when you wire the two up.  You can (gently as possible) pop the obsidian off the battery pack, it’s just got a strong adhesive foam holding it.  If you look at that under side, and look close at the wiring harness that’s there, you’ll see there’s one pin that doesn’t have a wire coming off it/ not in use.  It’ll be one of the middle pins. THAT’S the FoC pin.  So you just pop a wire on that, then run the other end of it to the diode/ dice of your led that you’re using as FoC.  Just wire the + for that in with all the other led +’s.  That channel opens up when the board detects clash, and your FoC colour fires, along with your main. 

(EDIT) wait!!  Forgot this is emerald we’re talking about lol!  That’s 4 normal set up.  One sec- just at work atm.  I’ll be back... don’t worry it’s actuslly even easier for emerald- the FoC wire just goes into the emerald from the obsidian FoC pin instead of to the led. 

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:52:32 AM »

Ya you just wire from the FoC pin on the obsidian to the FoC pin on the emerald, and then the FoC is all controlled in the emerald software/ config Smiley

jazzman23
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 01:17:04 PM »

Ya you just wire from the FoC pin on the obsidian to the FoC pin on the emerald, and then the FoC is all controlled in the emerald software/ config Smiley

Dude, you’re the best! Many thanks- I’ll let you know how it ends up!!

RevanReborn
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 05:10:21 PM »

O no worries, lemme know if you run into any more ?’s- happy to help Smiley.  Ya for sure, we’d love to see how it turns out!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: