Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Nickel City Comic Con Buffalo NY 5/18-5/20  (Read 6758 times)
Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« on: May 11, 2018, 06:20:15 PM »

This is the biggest event of the year in my little part of the world and it is only one week away- May 18, 19 & 20. I don’t know who is more excited me or my 12 year daughter that built from scratch/hand sewed her very own costume of her original character.
All the normal big convention appeal of cos play competitions, vendors, artists, local breweries, panels and experiences (yay!). The local Star Wars costumers, the North Ridge will be there and always do a fantastic job- as does the Super Hero alliance. Not the huge line-up of guests as year’s past, but Jeremy Bullock (Boba Fett) is the Star Wars celebrity to see.
Of course part of the reason I am so pumped up is that for the second year in a row, the American Force Academy will be in the thick of things! Each day of the event we will be running a totally free one hour, adult Light Saber Training class in one of the big event rooms.  Show up with your Ultra Saber (or borrow one of ours) and we will take you through some of the very basics- holding the saber, how to stand, footwork, striking methods, whatever else we can pack into the hour. In addition, we will also have a booth on the main convention floor with our vast arsenal of Ultra Sabers, customizations and combat gear on full display. We hope to have 30+ sabers on display in between classes. Even if you are not into the combat aspect, we love to meet and chat with all types of sabering enthusiasts. It’s always a fun crowd and the AFA is a really nice, inclusive group of people.
If you are a reasonable drive from downtown Buffalo, I highly recommend this event. And if you are planning on attending, please stop by and say hello, get a pic together for the forum, show off your ultra saber and check out ours. PM me if you have any questions.
I will post pictures and updates on this thread through and after the event.
This is going to be a loooonnnnggg week... I feel like a kid counting down to Christmas with an AT-AT sized box under the tree!!!

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:51:24 PM »

That sounds like a great Con. Shame that I'm down in Philly and it's a bit out of my radius for Con-going. Sounds like a super Star Wars focused convention, most of the ones in my area can really suffer from a lack of representation from Star Wars I find. Jeremy Bullock is really cool, just saw him at a local Con a few weeks ago.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Warrior Poet

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:36:23 PM »

Thrilled to see the AFA on the big schedule of events and scope out all the other highlights! My daughter and I are excited to try the Stranger Things escape room. We are also very relieved Saber Training Classes do not conflict with the Cosplay competitions, especially her age group or the Jermey Bullock panel. If I wasn’t so busy, I would have loved to check out the Clerks screening with Jason Mewes on Saturday night. Oh well, can’t fit it all in. Only one more day to clean the battle damage off my blades and get my sabers nice and shiny!

On YouTube

KennayGW
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 31

Force of the North and the Far East

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 06:53:17 AM »

Hulk Hogan gonna be there too! Wuuuuaaaaat

Emperors Hand
Phantom V4
Diamond Initiate LE V4

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Warrior Poet

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 11:40:59 PM »

Great start!!

On YouTube

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 03:20:13 AM »

Nice pics there

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Warrior Poet

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 06:43:37 PM »

Phew... what a whirlwind of a weekend. I am looking through pictures and videos now that I either took or am in with absolutely no recollection of the moment. Sensory overload for three straight days on Star Wars, costumes, light sabers, classes, interviews, coffee, photo ops, cos play, photo requests, adult beverages, talking, talking and more talking, on and on. All very successful as we met so many great people, made new many friends and talked to a lot of very interested potential students. Not to mention my daughter won the 11-17 division of the cos play competition!!
501st / Rebel Legion / North Ridge on patrol always made a stop by the booth.

On YouTube

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Warrior Poet

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »

There was a bit of a wrestling theme given the high profile guests...

The booth was always hopping.

On YouTube

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 07:07:29 PM »

Hi Musashi Padawan, a fantastic collection of photos. Glad you enjoyed the Con.

There are just two small things I want to ask, first is, does the Wookie in that Hollywood Hogan shirt look a bit like Bingo out of the Banana Splits? (or is it just my imagination?) and second did Master Plo Koon have a Dorinian saber? That would have been cool!

points incoming (and congrats to your daughter too)

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 08:03:40 PM »

Great pictures, looks like it was a blast!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 12:18:59 AM »

Point to you for the cool pics. It looks like ya'll had a good time!  Grin  MTFBWY!

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Warrior Poet

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 02:09:50 AM »

Thanks Mav and Tx!
Hi Musashi Padawan, a fantastic collection of photos. Glad you enjoyed the Con.

There are just two small things I want to ask, first is, does the Wookie in that Hollywood Hogan shirt look a bit like Bingo out of the Banana Splits? (or is it just my imagination?) and second did Master Plo Koon have a Dorinian saber? That would have been cool!

points incoming (and congrats to your daughter too)
That Wookie looked like nothing I have seen before!  As far as the Dorinian, that is where my murky memory comes in again.  I know someone had that saber, because I got to hold one for the first time.  Feels and looks really nice!  Was it Mater Plo though?  I think it was, but I am not 100%.

On YouTube

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Warrior Poet

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 02:15:20 AM »

A few more... apologies in advance for the disturbing image of MP as Jabba's captive

On YouTube

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Warrior Poet

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 08:55:54 PM »

Finally, had some time to put up a short vid of Light Saber Training at the Con
https://youtu.be/bCU6rLilTb8
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCU6rLilTb8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCU6rLilTb8</a>

On YouTube

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »

Great pictures and video!! Looks like you had a good showing and a blast!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: