Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: DEADPOOL 2 - NON-SPOILER REVIEW  (Read 7053 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: May 15, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »

PLEASE NOTE - THE FOLLOWING IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW. I WILL NOT REVEAL ANY MAJOR PLOT POINTS FROM THE MOVIE.

“Bring it on One-eyed Willie!”

To this day we still do not know who leaked the original Deadpool test footage onto the internet (but whoever it was deserves a kiss and is free to marry my sister any day). What we do know though is that it caused such a tsunami of reaction from the fandom that Fox had no alternative than to let Ryan Reynolds and his team make the movie and treat the character the way it deserved (not the abysmal and laughable version that was used in Wolverine: Origins). While many suspected the first movie would do okay, no-one expected it to the runaway unqualified success it became - $783 million worldwide box office off a $60 million budget.

Why did this success happen? Was it the genius marketing campaign? Was it the R-rating? Was it Reynolds fulfilling his sole purpose on this planet to perfectly embody the character? Who knows. But, the combination of the violence, comedy, witty banter, action and 4th wall breaks makes Deadpool unique in the current pantheon of comic book movies.

Will this sequel stumble as many sequels have in the past? Will one of the directors leaving impact the overall quality of the film? Will having a bigger budget reduce the overall quality? Will Peter be the standout character that everyone hopes he will be?

THE STORY
Deadpool forms a team of mutants called X-Force to protect a young boy from time-travelling soldier Cable.

OVERALL OPINION
F*CKING YES!!!!!

There are some movies that deserve sequels. However, when the creative team involved with the first movie try to recapture that magic a second time, for some reason it just doesn’t work and fans are left disappointed, lamenting on what could have been. Deadpool 2 is nothing like that. This is one of those times where the sequel looked at what worked in the first movie and gave us more, ramping up the action without sacrificing the story. Will this movie win any Oscars? Probably not. But, to quote Kingsmen, it ain’t that kind of movie bruv.

I just came out of the cinema 45 mins ago and my mind is racing with some many thoughts about things I loved about this movie. There was more comedy than the first and all the jokes (except one) had me laughing out loud. Hard. The action is fantastic. There are some genuinely touching moments where the movie threatens to get all serious on us. However, unlike in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, when the comedic moment is brought in to undercut the scene, it somehow doesn’t reduce the emotion of the moment. Whether that is from the writing or acting, who knows, but it is a great achievement,

Whereas with Deadpool 2, it had a very simple story (kill Francis), the story here is a little more convoluted, but not in a bad or confusing way. The returning characters are just as great as before, the new characters are fun and bring a great new element to the franchise and Cable is everything you would want from the character. There are lots of easter eggs for comic book fans too (nothing that adds to a “cinematic universe”, just nice little things that comic book readers will notice and appreciate).

All in all, it is a must see for anyone who loves Deadpool and enjoyed the first movie. I will also note that it continues a recent trend of showing things in the trailer that look cool and get you hyped but don’t appear in the movie. This is a good thing, as it keeps you focussed on what happens next, rather than when a favourite trailer moment is going to appear. Which means when trailer moments DO appear, they are all the more enjoyable.

This may be a bold statement to make having just seen the movie, but I am comfortable declaring it as a better movie than the first.

THE PERFORMANCES
Ryan Reynolds - Deadpool
There are a handful of actors who so perfectly embody their character, you simply cannot replace them in the role. There’s Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. Reynolds simply IS this character. From the humour and quips to creative 4th wall breaks and pop culture references, he is a joy to behold in the role.

NEW CAST
Josh Brolin - Thanos
Between this, Avengers: Infinity War and the sequel to Sicario, Josh Brolin is having a hell of a year. I remember there being a few mixed reactions to Josh Brolin being cast in the role (as many fans wanted Stephen Lang to be cast) but once the promotional photo of him in costume was released, all that changed. As great as Brolin is as Thanos, he is in full on “bad-ass” mode here, doing a Batman lite thing with his voice, but is thoroughly engaging in the role. And you can tell he’s been working out A LOT.

Julian Denison - Russell
The kid that Deadpool is protecting from Cable, you may recognise him from indie hit Hunt for the Wilderpeople (directed by genius director Taika Waititi. Sometimes kids in movies can be annoying or whiny or bratty. Fortunately that is not the case here. He’s fun in the role and at times you may wish for a little bit more of him.

Terry Crewes - Bedlam
His mutant ability allowed him to sense and perceive energy signatures and generate a bio-EM field that wreaked havoc with electrical and certain mechanical systems, and could affect the neural chemical responses of a living brain to induce states such as pain, sleep, or confusion. The Crewes (as I call him) can always be relied on to bring his usual charm and humour to any role and he does the same here.

Zazie Beetz - Domino
At times, the internet has a way of over-reacting occasionally when casting announcements are made, especially when it comes to comic book properties. It happened to Ben Affleck. it happened (to a degree) with Gal Gadot. It happened with Topher Grace (but in that case the outrage was understandable and justified in the end) and it happened with Zazie Beatz.

Anyone who has watched Donald Glover’s hit tv show Atlanta knows how talented an actress she is. While she looks different to the character in the comic, Zazie does look the part and perfectly brings the character to life.The way they showcase her powers (is “luck” really a superpower?) is fantastic and creative, the hair ROCKS.

Lewis Tam - Shatterstar
A mutant who possesses an overall superhuman level of physical and mental attributes (senses, strength, speed, reflexes, agility, flexibility, stamina, and intelligence), as a result of the extra-dimensional genetic engineering that created him. He does a lot with what the screen time he has.

Bill Skarsgard - Zeitgeist
Everyone’s favourite(?) Pennywise plays a mutant who can spew acidic vomit from his mouth. As with Tam’s Shatterstar, he does what he can with the screen time he has.

Rob Delaney - Peter
The standout from the trailer is just as engaging as you would hope. His appearance is just as funny as it was in the trailer.

RETURNING CAST
Morena Baccarin - Vanessa
Still as beautiful as ever (does she ever age?) this time round Morena has a little less screen time than in the first, but she brings on the emotion hard, especially in her scenes with Deadpool.

T. J. Miller - Weasle
Despite the real world troubles surrounding the comedic actor, he once again is great in his role as Weasel. I get a sense he might have been in the movie more if not for his real world shenanigans.

Brianna Hildebrand - Negasonic Teenage Warhead
The girl with the world’s BEST superhero name is back and this time her hair is longer! And she’s just as sardonic as ever.

Karan Soni - Dopinder
The world’s favourite taxi driver (and yes, that includes De Niro) is back. A definite fan favourite in the first movie, despite his limited screen time, here he is given more room to shine and get involved. And he has one of the funniest moments in the whole movie.

OTHER STUFF
The Action
As always, the action is great with some of the set-pieces managing to be different, unique, fun and thoroughly engaging. You can tell they had a bigger budget on this movie as there are more action set-pieces and they’re bigger and better than the first movie.

The CGI
Apart from one or two little things, the CGI is on point, especially with Colossus once again.

The Pacing
The 2hr is only 12 mins longer than the first movie, but flies by due to the great pacing and almost non-stop humour running throughout.

Post Credit Scenes?
Keep watching right up until you see the cast order roll onto screen for the best end credits to any movie ever to have movied at the cinema ever. However, if you stay right up the bitter end, there is a great song score that you hear that relates hilariously to one of the characters.

Other stuff
The opening credits are just as hilarious as the first movie.

There is one of the best cameos in any comic book movie ever.

I heard speculation about a certain character appearing in the movie, but they were not listed on IMDB, so it was a joy to see them on screen, especially their fight scene with one of the main characters.

The use of classic songs just adds to the fun of the film.

FINAL VERDICT
I remember watching the first film at the cinema during the first 40mins 5 people had got up and left. Deadpool is not for everyone. He swears. He’s violent/ He breaks the 4th wall. Due to the success of the first movie, casual movie-goers know what to expect this time round. For fans of the character/comic, this  is definitely everything you could wish for from the time Deadpool Ferris Buellered the Cable tease. It’s fun. It’s violent. It’s hilarious. And I cannot wait to go see it again.

Score: 9.5/10    
Rotten Tomatoes rating - 84% (critics)  (audience rating unavailable)
(at time of writing)

MY MOVIE RATING SYSTEM
10- Citizen F*%king Kane (A+)
 9-  Bloody Great (A)
 8-  Really rather good (A-)
 7-  Pretty decent (B+)
 6-  Definitely above average (B)
 5- Middle of the road average (C)
 4- Mediocre (D)
 3- Meh (E)
 2- Crap (F)
 1- Why the hell did I waste my time and money on this abomination (Unrated)

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:41:20 PM »

Thanks for the review Knox! Absolutely can’t wait to see this in a week and a half!

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:42:37 PM »

Thanks for the review Knox! Absolutely can’t wait to see this in a week and a half!
You're welcome. I love writing these non-spoiler reviews. I'm sure you'll love it.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2766

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »

Next week needs to get here NOW!

the hair ROCKS.
I can't explain it, but I find it sexy.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 05:19:39 PM »

I can't explain it, but I find it sexy.
Oh, that's simple. You find it sexy because IT IS SEXY!

Plus, it's always nice to see a sista rocking natural style with her hair.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:21:38 PM »

Thanks Knox... another stellar information loaded non-spoiler review.  Not sure when this movie arrives in Canada but I'll be going for sure.  I wonder if Reynolds and company will change their collective mind about not making a 3rd movie.  Smiley

point  Cool

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 05:28:27 PM »

Thanks Knox... another stellar information loaded non-spoiler review.  Not sure when this movie arrives in Canada but I'll be going for sure.  I wonder if Reynolds and company will change their collective mind about not making a 3rd movie.  Smiley

point  Cool
Thanks D7.

As far as I know, Reynolds has confirmed an X-Force movie, but not a Deadpool 3, purely down to the Disney bid for Fox. If that deal goes through it is unclear whether Disney will allow Fox to continue to run as it currently does, but just with "A disney company" on the title logo or whether the mouse house will decide not to allow R-rated properties to be made as it is the antithesis of the Disney brand.

Personally, I would love to see a Deadpool 3. And if the Disney deal goes through, I think bring the Fantastic Four (and their respective villains) into the MCU, but allow the X-men/Deadpool to exist as their own universe, as trying to explain mutants and their entire backstory into the MCU retroactively causes too many headaches. And then, somewhere down the line have both universes combine due to some cosmic event.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:24 PM »

I am not liking the fact that Disney is buying up other movie studios.  This monopoly can't be good news and the often distinctive creative elements and style that each studio offers will be stymied or eliminated.  Undecided

Yeah !  Movie is hitting the theatres on May 18th... may be in competition with the Solo movie as I think it's the same starting date.  Going to be a movie weekend for me.  Smiley

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 05:46:16 PM »

If Disney gets Fox then they will own 40% of the movie box office share.

If Comcast get Fox then they will be in a position to circumvent net neutrality and control what you can view/have to access to online.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't blame either company for wanting to buy Fox. It is largely to get access to their back catalogue so they have great content when they launch their own streaming services to try and rival Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Fox wants to sell which means someone will end up buying them. Scary either way, but I'm trying to focus on the positives.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 08:50:24 PM »

Aint no if..Its done. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/12/14/disney-buys-much-of-fox-in-mega-merger-that-will-shake-world-of-entertainment-and-media/?utm_term=.076b10cf9da7

Disney doesn't meddle nearly as much as people think.  People like to blame Disney for a lot of the things happening to Star Wars but its Kathleen Kennedy that makes the decisions..she is just paid by the mouse to do so.   As the article states, Hollywood is doubling down to try and stave of competition from things like Netflix and google.

As for Zazie Beetz as Domino, I have no issue with the actress her self and am sure she does a great job...I just don't see why they couldn't have made her look like the comic since the did such a fantastic job on Deadpool's Costume and Colossus CG.  I mean, her physical appearance is why she is called Domino.  But, I'm a bit of a stickler

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 09:18:48 PM »

As for Zazie Beetz as Domino, I have no issue with the actress her self and am sure she does a great job...I just don't see why they couldn't have made her look like the comic since the did such a fantastic job on Deadpool's Costume and Colossus CG.  I mean, her physical appearance is why she is called Domino.  But, I'm a bit of a stickler
If you mean the birthmark thing over one eye, she does have that movie. Bit hard to see in the trailers, but it's in the actual movie.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:49:50 PM »

If you mean the birthmark thing over one eye, she does have that movie. Bit hard to see in the trailers, but it's in the actual movie.

Domino in the comics has stark white skin...like a sheet of printer paper...with a black spot over one eye...Like a Domino.  So without those physical traits. Its hard to see why she would be called Domino.   Again, like I said.  I'm a stickler.  It would be like Osborn showing up in purple armor but still being called Green Goblin.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 11:13:58 PM »

Always great to see your reviews Knox. Thanks again. I know I'm going to like this movie. Can't wait. I'm actually more pumped for this than Solo.

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »

Thank you for the review!

I really hope Deadpool is still running when I'm back from my vacation Wink ...

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 02:10:39 PM »

Domino in the comics has stark white skin...like a sheet of printer paper...with a black spot over one eye...Like a Domino.  So without those physical traits. Its hard to see why she would be called Domino.   Again, like I said.  I'm a stickler.  It would be like Osborn showing up in purple armor but still being called Green Goblin.
Dominos can also be black with white dots. But the main concern should be whether she truly captures the essence of who the character from the comics is. And Zazie does that extremely well.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: