Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Swapping out a fire orange led module for guardian blue.  (Read 2029 times)
Goldldr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 26

« on: May 17, 2018, 11:50:35 PM »

Hi all.  I am going to attempt to swap out the fire orange from the aeon v4 I won in the raffle for a guardian blue module a friend had in an aeon he scrapped for parts. 

I have never attempted anything like this before.  Is it as easy as just removing the FO module and soldering the guardian blue module to the existing wires?  Do I need to worry about anything else? 

The saber came with li-ion setup but I don’t know how to tell if it has a buck puck or resister, if that makes a difference.  I am a novice at electronics, so I am practicing soldering and hoping this is pretty straight forward.

Any advice is appreciated.

Current Saber Collection (?=mystery box pull, *=raffle prize)
Consular (Diamond)
Flamberge v2 w/ renegade LE emitters (Diamond)
Azure Reaper Obs4 tri-cree CG
Crimson Scorpion ObsL FO (?)
Liberator v3 stunt FO (?)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)
Dark Apprentice stunt FO (?)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 02:29:19 AM »

Hi.  A slow day for replies.  All I get in freebies, grab bags, etc. is GB or CG.  Would have loved to get a FO or BR.  But that many of the same blade color ?!  lol Cheesy

Suggest that you just hold off till you get confirmation about how to do this properly without any potential damage.  Has it got a soundboard or emerald driver since you have Li-Ion batteries ?  If so you would likely have a buckpuck which really shouldn't have anything to do with a more simple swap and soldering for these 2 LED colors.  Smiley

Goldldr
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:17:47 AM »

Thanks for the advice!  I am in no huge hurry, since I don’t really know what I am doing.  I have watched a few videos, but hoping someone here can help me understand the pitfalls.

Third place prize in this raffle was a stunt with the li-ion battery setup.  No sound or FOC or anything, just an LED, so I am hoping it’s not too bad, since it’s my first try.

I don’t know why my luck seems to lean toward fire orange when I let US pick the color,  but it really does.  Even one I gave away was fire orange lol.  I like the color, but would really like some variety, and since I see this as a Jedi blade I really would like to install this blue led module if I can.

Consular (Diamond)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 07:11:55 AM »

If it has the buckpuck it is just a simple switching out. In fact the blue LED will be fine with the orange resistor but may not be as bright since the orange will use a stronger resistor.

Just remember don't solder with the batteries in.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Goldldr
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:44:58 PM »

Thanks TX.  I was hoping it would be something like that.  This is my starting point for hopefully building my own saber from scratch later in the year.  Currently practicing soldering so I can do it well when I try this out.

Consular (Diamond)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »

Thanks TX.  I was hoping it would be something like that.  This is my starting point for hopefully building my own saber from scratch later in the year.  Currently practicing soldering so I can do it well when I try this out.
Do some searching on different types of solder, flux, and solder guns. I didn't do this at first and just bought random stuff and it have me hell!! Once I got some good stuff out was so much easier.

But the more you learn about it the easier it will be for you. That's why I suggest doing some searching online.

Goldldr
Knight Officer

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »

I have a soldering iron I have used for other things, helping hands to hold in place etc.  I just haven’t done any in years.  What solder would you recommend?  Also, what wire would you use for practice/extending existing wires based on your experience.  My soldering iron is pretty simple, but does have a temp control.  Do you believe it’s worth the cost of a soldering gun to make a difference.

I took the saber apart enough to see it has a resister wired in for the fire orange LED.  Do you think I should figure out a replacement for that when replacing with the guardian blue LED?

Consular (Diamond)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »

I wish you the best of luck.
I thought about attempting, researched, and came to the conclusion:

MAAAARRRRRLLLLLEEEEEENNNNAAAA!!!!!
Send it in and they'll swap it out, $50 round trip before I damage anything...

No points, just fist bumps baby!

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »

I'm using 60% tin 40% lead solder wire in .08mm with Superior no. 30 flux.

Works best for me, doesn't mean it is the right thing to use LOL.

For the resistor search Google for a resistor calculator to determine which one to go with your LED.

This is the wire in using, I think it is 26 gauge but can't remember for sure. Doesn't say on the box.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: