Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Smugglers WIP  (Read 4021 times)
B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« on: May 19, 2018, 05:59:53 AM »

Hey everyone! Been quiet here because uni, work etc had to take priority to costuming.

My husband and myself were privileged enough to be invited by the local Disney rep to attend the Perth Aus VIP screening of Solo: A Star Wars Story as smuggler costumers and droid operators for our droid M4 on Thursday. This lead to a mad scramble getting our smuggler belts made in time!

We are still new to leatherworking, and all of this was learn-as-you-go, as the only previous experience we have was our Jedi belts for The Last Jedi screening. We are by no means master leatherworkers and our methods may not be particularly standard Cheesy

Below are some WIP shots from the belt and some photos from the event. As a note, the holsters and pistols used in each belong to me as my character is a dual wielder, however hubby doesn't have a SW blaster yet and we didn't have time to make 3 holsters anyway. This has worked well enough for the sakes of the VIP screening and the midnight launch we are attending next weekend Smiley This was a team effort with hubby.

We used wetforming to make the holsters. the first step was making an mdf form of the blaster.

The leather we are using is pre dyed, sections sold for making belts. its not the highest quality and is a bit spongy, but we didn't want the hassle of dyeing our own stuff yet. A section was cut out, soaked in warm water for about 30 mins. The blaster was wrapped in plastic wrap and sat on the bottom piece of mdf, then the leather draped and formed over the blaster. The mdf form was put in place, loosely clamped and the leather formed and adjusted until happy. Then clamped firmly. The first one was sat in the sun for a while before being brought inside and left for the next day and half while we went away. The second was sat in front of a heater (at distance of course)/ hit up with a heatgun since we did it at night, then left for the next 24 hours.

In the meantime I cut out the main belt pieces, finished their edges with a brown Edge Kote, burnished them, waxed etc. I had previously 3D designed and printed the buckle and holster pieces from PLA. These were based on a Han belt model I had found on thingiverse by seankfields https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:883687. I used his design ideas to make my own buckles, based on a SWTOR belt my in game character has. These pieces were coated with spray putty, sanded down, and sprayed with silver paint. Then I attached the pieces to the belt sections of leather.

I had done a rough pattern for the holster backing. After we trimmed down about 1cm from the edge of the molded section of the holster front and trimmed the top section to suit the scopes that are eventually going on these blasters we used that to finish making the holster pattern, cut it out, then mocked it up on my side, refining the top section of the backing and cutting the strap sections the right width.

The two halves were awled then stitched. The leg strap pieces were stitched on.

Then attached to the holster attachments, and these attached to the belts. Studs were added to the leg straps. I added a black insert piece to my buckle. Hubby's buckle, and both our rear buckle pieces are going to have black in the lines to make the designs stand out more. Everything still needs weathering, but we didn't have time for such things. Still a bit of tidying up to do on the leg straps etc.

And some images from the screening! My jacket is a cheap pleather one, I removed all the zips (minus the breast pocket zip, but this is going to be covered by a commpad that I have designed, printed in PLA and waiting to be painted with lights added etc), used a soft fabric paint to paint the shoulders a darker brown. The pants were second hand, and I added the grey stripes. I will be adding more to cover the zips on the front. My boots are bikers boots I found and I love them! So comfy, I wanted something solid that would last and look more like a combat boot. Add a bandana, fingerless leather gloves and cheap goggles. My outfit is currently a fusion of my GCW era and TOR era smugglers, until I get more individual components made up for the two separate outfits- my GCW era character Belyra Vekraa wears a tight flgihtsuit with that jacket. Hubby's jacket is a women's jacket we picked up hell cheap, added the shoulder patches and did some modifications. Pants are old leather padded bikers pants, boots are currently his Jedi ones until we find something more appropriate. His shirt is an old one he had in the cupboard and will have tags, zips etc covered or removed. This is his TOR smuggler outfit. His GCW era one will be overalls and additions to make him look more like a mechanic/ technician. We already have a pile of SW tools printed and waiting to be painted.

So very much two work in progress smugglers, with much more to come Smiley

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »

Wow just wow, what great work!! I wouldn't know where to begin on something like that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:18:53 AM »

Good stuff, Blondie. Nice tricks for forming the holsters to the blasters

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »

that's really cool! I wish i had something like that. I'm probably going to try for a sith assassin look.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 06:00:04 PM »

Wow Angel, GREAT job!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 12:20:01 AM »

Nice. What jackets were used or were they made by you guys as well? Tongue I really like them. Also has sort of a Jedi jacket kind of feel like Luke might wear in his early Jedi days or something

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 10:49:59 AM »

Nice. What jackets were used or were they made by you guys as well? Tongue I really like them. Also has sort of a Jedi jacket kind of feel like Luke might wear in his early Jedi days or something

My jacket is a cheapish pleather jacket that was on sale at a local fashion store. I removed the zips, added studs and painted the shoulders with a soft fabric paint. Hubbys jacket was a cheap $5 on sale women's jacket at a department store Tongue took the stud off the front, added shoulder stripes.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 02:50:53 AM »

I was wondering out to make some buckles on my own and you pretty much made a how to in a nutshell.  Thanks, Angel!  Point for you!

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »

I was wondering out to make some buckles on my own and you pretty much made a how to in a nutshell.  Thanks, Angel!  Point for you!

Youre welcome! Check out the thingiverse link in my first post, i basically took their idea and worked on that. There are other different versions online as well if you do a search for Han Solos belt buckle

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 07:21:21 PM »

Will do and thanks!  Point for you!

BlindersBalance
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 07:13:44 PM »

Looks like some great work so far! Really enjoying the sleekness.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »

Thats great! Well done. You two look like your part of the crew. I fail miserably at these kind of projects.....I'll keep at it though, practice makes perfect. +1

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 04:53:40 PM »

Thanks people! Still work to go on these, and there are more smuggler's outfits to come.

In the meantime, I've been designing some credits and sabacc tokens, based on the Solo movie. Feel free to have a look and provide constructive criticism here Smiley https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2981640

You can also find my clone wars credit chips here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2981657

And my cartel coin here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2981660

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: