Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Solo: *Spoiler* Discussion  (Read 19925 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« on: May 23, 2018, 07:17:39 PM »

Like the title says...spoil away.  Personally, I have no interest in seeing the whole film.  So I will be gleaning any knowledge to be had from spoilers.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »

Not that bad ... i spent a good time Wink

Difficult to spoil anything as nothing very new is presented ... There are links with Star Wars Rebels (like in Rogue One) and it is always a pleasure to see Ray Park Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 05:21:52 PM »

Not that bad ... i spent a good time Wink

Difficult to spoil anything as nothing very new is presented ... There are links with Star Wars Rebels (like in Rogue One) and it is always a pleasure to see Ray Park Wink

That's the main thing that interests me.  How long was Maul's cameo?   I do love all the people who didn't follow the animated series' are not majorly confused..lol

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »

That's the main thing that interests me.  How long was Maul's cameo?   I do love all the people who didn't follow the animated series' are not majorly confused..lol

Less than one minute.

Maul is presented like a Galactic Vito Corleone. He is a crime lord based on Dathomir and he manages several organizations. He appears at the end of the movie. Qi'ra just killed her boss (Dryden Vos - Bettany, the only character that really disappointed me) and she contacts her big boss (Maul). He tells her that they will make business together and ignite his lightsaber ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:26:09 PM »

Less than one minute.

Maul is presented like a Galactic Vito Corleone. He is a crime lord based on Dathomir and he manages several organizations. He appears at the end of the movie. Qi'ra just killed her boss (Dryden Vos - Bettany, the only character that really disappointed me) and she contacts her big boss (Maul). He tells her that they will make business together and ignite his lightsaber ...

Interesting....  considering Maul was a broken man the last time we saw him in the comics before Rebels.   To be fair to Bettany  he was a last minute replacement

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:31:53 PM »

Interesting....  considering Maul was a broken man the last time we saw him in the comics before Rebels.   To be fair to Bettany  he was a last minute replacement

In TCW, we saw a Maul that is already some kind of crime lord ... But you are right, in the comics, they do not deal with this aspect ...

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »

In TCW, we saw a Maul that is already some kind of crime lord ... But you are right, in the comics, they do not deal with this aspect ...

There is a comic called Son of Dathomir, it follows up on where they left him in Clone Wars (being electrocuted by Palpatine).  Dooku tricks maul into thinking he was betrayed Palpatine and they both go to Dathomir to regroup with Mother Talzin.  But of course it was a trap to lure out Talzin and Palpatine destroys her.  Maul is last seen being dragged screaming back to his ship by some of his Mando's.  But between that and him showing up in rebels there is nothing.  So I am guessing there is a story there because Maul is carrying an inquisitors lightsaber in Rebels.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:16:28 PM »

There is a comic called Son of Dathomir, it follows up on where they left him in Clone Wars (being electrocuted by Palpatine).  Dooku tricks maul into thinking he was betrayed Palpatine and they both go to Dathomir to regroup with Mother Talzin.  But of course it was a trap to lure out Talzin and Palpatine destroys her.  Maul is last seen being dragged screaming back to his ship by some of his Mando's.  But between that and him showing up in rebels there is nothing.  So I am guessing there is a story there because Maul is carrying an inquisitors lightsaber in Rebels.

We will see Wink

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »

Forgive my ignorance ... but where in the timeline does the "Solo" movie fall?

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »

Forgive my ignorance ... but where in the timeline does the "Solo" movie fall?

Between Episode III and Rebels

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 03:22:04 AM »

While it was really cool to see Maul again, I can't help but feel like it was shoehorned into the film in an attempt to make the plot more interesting. In reality it seemed like it came wayyy out of left field, but that's me.

I would love to see a reaction compilation of people seeing that part of the movie who didn't watch Clone Wars. Would be great.  Grin

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 12:29:07 PM »

While it was really cool to see Maul again, I can't help but feel like it was shoehorned into the film in an attempt to make the plot more interesting. In reality it seemed like it came wayyy out of left field, but that's me.

I would love to see a reaction compilation of people seeing that part of the movie who didn't watch Clone Wars. Would be great.  Grin

I'm looking at it a little hopeful, that maybe the powers in charge are starting to consider giving more time to characters we do want to see more of.  Having Ray Park with Witwer's voice is something I always wanted to see. 

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »

It was an ok addition to the SW franchise. Nothing great, but nothing terrible either. I liked Donald Glover as Lando, and there were a few moments, especially when we first hear him, where he nailed Billy D. Williams' voice. Nice touch there.

I went into it thinking the same as I was for Rogue One. It is a story that does not need to be told, but I left Rogue One thinking they did a great job and was glad they did tell it. I left Solo feeling the same as I went in. It didn't need to be told. I mean, what major events did it reveal about Han that we didn't already know? Nothing. He meets Chewie, does the Kessel Run in record time, and he swindles the Falcon away from Lando. All stuff we already knew. Everything else were minor details that are irrelevant to Han's character moving forward. The only new and potentially relevant information would be his time in the Imperial military, which would explain his military acumen and subsequent quick rise through the rebel army. But even then, couldn't we have just assumed he acquired such knowledge through a lifetime of smuggling and evading the Empire? Probably.

I feel like this was a big setup for future SW property, and that explains the Maul cameo. Now the fanbase will be asking for that explanation and connection, and because Disney knows it will sell, they will gladly provide it to us.

I'll probably own it, because that's what I do, but I don't see myself reaching for it very often.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 05:20:23 PM »

It was an ok addition to the SW franchise. Nothing great, but nothing terrible either. I liked Donald Glover as Lando, and there were a few moments, especially when we first hear him, where he nailed Billy D. Williams' voice. Nice touch there.

I went into it thinking the same as I was for Rogue One. It is a story that does not need to be told, but I left Rogue One thinking they did a great job and was glad they did tell it. I left Solo feeling the same as I went in. It didn't need to be told. I mean, what major events did it reveal about Han that we didn't already know? Nothing. He meets Chewie, does the Kessel Run in record time, and he swindles the Falcon away from Lando. All stuff we already knew. Everything else were minor details that are irrelevant to Han's character moving forward. The only new and potentially relevant information would be his time in the Imperial military, which would explain his military acumen and subsequent quick rise through the rebel army. But even then, couldn't we have just assumed he acquired such knowledge through a lifetime of smuggling and evading the Empire? Probably.

I feel like this was a big setup for future SW property, and that explains the Maul cameo. Now the fanbase will be asking for that explanation and connection, and because Disney knows it will sell, they will gladly provide it to us.

I'll probably own it, because that's what I do, but I don't see myself reaching for it very often.

Really the Maul thing is pretty cut and dry if you followed the Clone Wars, the Son of Dathomir comic and Rebels.  But the average movie goer did not.  Funny enough, han being in the Imperial Military is one of the few ideas they brought over from the old EU

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »

Really the Maul thing is pretty cut and dry if you followed the Clone Wars, the Son of Dathomir comic and Rebels.  But the average movie goer did not.  Funny enough, han being in the Imperial Military is one of the few ideas they brought over from the old EU

Yeah, I know all that, but like you said, most do not. I had to explain the whole crime lord Maul thing to my wife on the ride home. I was going for the connection to Qi'ra. People will want that explained, and I'm failing to recall that connection. I thought Qi'ra was a new character for the movie. Maybe it's explained more in the movie novels, but I haven't read those.

This movie just didn't do much for his character arc. We see in this movie that he always was the good guy with a soft spot for those he cared about. He wasn't always simply looking out for himself. This makes his return to help Luke in ANH much more anticlimactic and less of a drastic turnaround.

I think the story of him botching the job for Jabba would have been much more compelling and been a better fit into the overall franchise arc. He could have been selfish all throughout, and we would have learned the details of his need to constantly go back to pay him off. That would've provided a nice backdrop to the rest of the OT. But that's just my opinion.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: