Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Finally recorded a practice session  (Read 7170 times)
VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

« on: May 24, 2018, 03:35:49 AM »

Well, it's been about four and a half months since I started spinning lightsabers (the massively great majority indoors with cramped conditions and low ceilings), and since my wife wanted a new camera I bought a tripod to go with it. Thus set up, I managed actually get outside and film myself spinning. Figured I'd at least get one done before I schedule surgery on my right hand (for trigger finger in my middle and ring fingers). Not sure how long after that happens until I'll be able to practice again.

Of course, it didn't happen without mistakes, drops, ground strikes, and the occasional pain... but (most of) those you don't get to see.  Grin

At this point I think I just need to get more comfortable in front of the camera, so I can loosen up and get more variety and off-hand work in. As it is, I think I'm about to become the poster child for right handed eclipse spins. Footwork, strikes, and blocks need work as well.

Thanks to Masters Venturous and Cephalus, whose respective training videos in the basics were invaluable getting started.

Please note, while there is sound on the video, all you're going to hear is AC hum, and a single ground strike.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65bnMNciUVo&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65bnMNciUVo&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Dark Apprentice LE V4 In Guardian Blue (Winter Sale Free Initiate)
Initiate V4 in Consular Green (Winter Sale Free Mystery Box)
Dark Initiate V4 LE in Consular Green, w/ LI-Ion pack (Winter Raffle 3rd Prize)
1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE
1 Diamond Dark Initiate V4

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 03:45:09 AM »

Nicely done sir. You are coming along nicely, especially with the eclipse spins and the two-handed switches. Keep it up!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:41:21 AM »

Agreed. Looking pretty good. You have a very smooth style, similar to Samhain's but with a bit less speed. Still, looks good.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

digitalsithlord
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -165

Give into your Anger...Give me "Darkside" points..

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 10:16:24 AM »

I loved your spins, very graceful!  What kind of saber are you using?  Point for all your hard work!

Lightsaber Arsenal:
Red Liberator - GB
Prophecy v2 - AS
Bellicose - BR
Archon V2.1 - CG
Crimson Reaper - BR
Dark Monarch -BR
Aeon v3 - SY
Malice - BR
Aeon v2 - AS
Dominix v2- VA
Dark War Glaive - DVA

Gar-Wi Musan
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »

Bro, That was magnificent! Not only smooth and enjoyable to watch, that was the single longest video of pure saber spinning I have personally ever seen posted. Edited together or not. I hope your surgery goes well and you recover as quick as possible. You need to keep doing this. Very impressive. +1

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 04:46:31 PM »

Well done!🤙🏻 smooth and really good technique.  I agree with Gar- get recovered so you can get back to this😁!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 02:40:52 AM »

good stuff. Smooth transitions. Looks like you have the reverse grip down real good as well. Next one you should try is saber staff. +1

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 05:34:19 AM »

Thanks everyone.

I loved your spins, very graceful!  What kind of saber are you using?  Point for all your hard work!

Info is in the video description, but I'll cut and paste here:

Saber is an Ultrasabers Diamond-RGBA Windowed Dark Initiate, w/ red Illuminated AV switch. First section is with a 22" (visible, 24" length, with 2" in the socket) blade, the rest of the video is with a 34" (visible, 36" with 2" in socket) blade.

Font packages are custom mutes. First is a spectrum cycle on a 60 second cycle, w/ a solid Adegan silver lockup. The second, starting about the 8 minute mark, is a Guardian Blue to Arctic Blue breathe on a 60 second cycle, with the same colors on a 10 second cycle for a lockup. The saber's so bright that the camera has trouble distinguishing the colors.

good stuff. Smooth transitions. Looks like you have the reverse grip down real good as well. Next one you should try is saber staff. +1

Funny you should mention that... I'm probably going to do some staff for my next video. Going to visit my in-laws this week, so I might have plenty of time. Only problem I've got is that I can't use my wife's Diamond Initiate LE as the other half of my staff... so I'm going to have to use one of the stunts I've got, with all the brightness difference that entails. I will say, the low profile coupler has some uncomfortably sharp edges in the vents, so I may wind up using the gloves I got, so I don't tear my hands up.

Also working on increasing the speed as well, there's a few sequences where I get moving pretty good, but usually I wind up losing it.

At least after I get my hand cut open, I'll be forced to practice more offhand stuff Cheesy.

1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 12:19:07 AM »

4 months?!?!?!? I hope I can do half that good in 8 months.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:41:35 AM »

Nice and spectacular session, it's like the saber was hanging on an invisible string you spin between your fingers with ease!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 03:04:31 PM »

Please note, while there is sound on the video, all you're going to hear is AC hum, and a single ground strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65bnMNciUVo&feature=youtu.be

You have a nice flowing technique.  Can't imagine how much more you will improve in another 4 months.  Smiley

point for the share  Cool

KennayGW
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 31

Force of the North and the Far East

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »

Lookin good man. Keep it up

Emperors Hand
Phantom V4
Diamond Initiate LE V4

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 01:07:19 AM »

Again, thanks to all.

Well, I did have some time to do some staff work. Don't normally do a lot as I tend to drop the staff even more than a single blade saber, and doing that around where I live is a recipe for scratch, dent, and gouge. Managed to find a nice soft area at my in-laws house while visiting for my wife's 25th class reunion. Started near sunset, and the lighting was pretty good throughout. After a quick warm-up with a single blade, I got into the staff. Kept the unlighted staff warmup because I actually didn't drop the thing right off the bat Tongue. Like I mention to my wife somewhere in the vid, I'm still working up to the weight, as the staff is literally more than twice the mass of my Diamond Dark Initiate alone, even with a 36" blade.

Edited out the drops, but left some of the other mistakes I made in, mostly where I tried to make the saber do something it didn't want to.

The Dark Apprentice LE stunt I have is actually several ounces lighter than the Diamond Dark Initiate, and the balance is significantly different as well. I think those differences show in the handling.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9LIgYO74E&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9LIgYO74E&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Cut and paste of video description:
Practice session with my Ultrasabers Dark Apprentice LE stunt (Guardian Blue single, 36" blade) and saberstaff (Diamond Dark Initiate, adjustable low profile coupler, and Consular Green Initiate stunt).

Edited out most of my mistakes, drops, and so forth, but there's still a few in there.

About halfway through the video, my wife makes a visit to get me to help find her tablet after I finish. The saber she's talking about is her Diamond Initiate LE. While putting that on the saberstaff would allow me to balance the blade colors with no real problem, she doesn't want me to (legitimately, as where I normally practice has way too much aggressively aggregated concrete around for comfort). Towards the end of the video, you can hear her off camera with her saber. She's currently camera shy, and trying to learn spinning, but she isn't into it enough to do her homework and actually watch the videos I suggest. Towards the end she attempts an aerial and smacks herself in the finger... and incidentally forces me to learn some rough and ready audio editing to eliminate an F-bomb. Don't worry, she's ok. :-)

1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 12:00:23 AM »

Bit of an update. Got the stitches out of my hand today, but still restricted with my right hand. Max lifting of 2 lbs, and no repetitive motion. Just signing a credit card slip winds up slightly uncomfortable. While I can run a computer (slowly) with just my left hand, spinning's gonna take longer to come back. Next appt. is in about a month.

1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »

Bit of an update. Got the stitches out of my hand today, but still restricted with my right hand. Max lifting of 2 lbs, and no repetitive motion. Just signing a credit card slip winds up slightly uncomfortable. While I can run a computer (slowly) with just my left hand, spinning's gonna take longer to come back. Next appt. is in about a month.
Hang in there, dude!🤙🏻  When you get healed up, i’m sure it’ll all come back!😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: