Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Archon v3.1 to ROTJ v2 WIP  (Read 10076 times)
jthatcher
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 14

« on: May 25, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »

Hello!

I decided to take the plunge during the spring raffle (I didn't win) and purchase an Archon v3.1 because I've always loved Luke's ROTJ saber and I want to start a costume build. The Archon is a great looking saber to start but it isn't exactly a 1:1 replica of any of the ROTJ sabers, hero or stunt. Rather than shell out a ton of cash for a super accurate hilt, I went with US because it was affordable, US has a great reputation, and I'd have light and sound from the jump. I figured the easiest way to convert the Archon is to add a graflex clamp so I ordered one.

Here's a shot of my saber right out of the box with the clamp clumsily added. One of the brackets wouldn't go on because the archon body is beefier than a normal graflex.

I tried and tried to get the clamp on with both brackets. I tried so hard that I broke the clamp stem. Frustrated, I just ran a screw through it and called it a day.

After doing so more research on the ROTJ v2, I really wanted to have that accurate clamp stem and lever on there. A trip to my hardware store yielded a solution: an aluminum spacer and a 1/4 inch screw on the stem. It effectively extends the stem out long enough so that it fits perfectly on the Archon hilt.

Now that the clamp is in good shape, I needed to create a shim for the clamp card. A little 3D designing and printing solved that problem quickly! Now I can really feel the momentum on this project.

I sourced a new D ring and cone knob and I'm waiting for those to arrive. A local RL base friend is going to drill and tap the hole for the knob when it arrives. In the mean time, I could start weathering. I tackled that yesterday and I'm REALLY pleased with the results.

I spray painted the whole thing with matte black and gently wiped away paint with paint thinner on a rag. The whole process was super easy. Now I just have to wait for the ring and knob. More pics to come after they're installed.

Thanks for checking out my saber!

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 02:02:18 AM »

Very nice, did a good job on the weathering.

When I heroed (is that a word LOL) my Archon I camoed my AV switch with black stripes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 02:23:04 AM »

I absolutely love seeing the Archon v3 modded with the AV circuit board and Graflex clamp (although Tx did a "Hero" mod that is outstanding  Smiley).

JT yours is no exception!  You did a fantastic job!

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 02:37:22 AM »

Some nice work on that, especially where you dealt with things not fitting perfectly out of the box

GeddaTheHutt
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -195

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 06:09:14 AM »

Nice work customizing the Archon.

Sabers owned: Bellicose CG, Aeon V4 BR, Azure Fallen AB, Crimson Dorian Diamond,

Saber wishlist: Lost Gray, Scorpion, Brood Guard, Dominix LE V4, Apprentice V4, Spector, Grandmaster, Domicide, Dark Graflex.

{dark side points please}

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 03:34:20 AM »

Nice. Too bad you can't line the box with the switch though. Can't wait to see this done =] This would be a hard project for me to do as well x.x

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 08:05:15 AM »

Great job! I've been wanting to do that on my Archon v3.1 too.

Seano
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -229

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 09:58:46 AM »

Great work jthatcher!
I did something similar to my Archon v3.1, and had the same problem, re: clamp slightly too small. I lost the clamp as well, which didn't help, so just bolted the clamp together, ground the bolt down so it wasn't too long, and filed the nut and bolt slightly so there was a nice smooth edge.

Ramse Moade the Grey

Current Sabres - Graflex SE in GB & Obsidian V3, Shock in TRI BR (QD's) & Obsidian V3, Customised Dorinian with Diamond Controller, Dark Catalyst in Adegan Silver with Arctic Blue FOC and Obsidian V3 (Customisation WIP)

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »

Excellent job!

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 01:23:09 AM »

Very nice. Point. I am also working on a mod like this.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

jthatcher
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »

This project is finally done!

Changes from last time: re-did the weathering on the emitter and neck, added the cone knob and new D-ring, swapped the clamp lever for a non-broken one with a square nut. I think its as close as I can get to the ROTJ V2.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »

You did a really nice job, point.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »

Hi.  That's a great looking saber.  Really nice job... liking that you left it mostly in silver/black with just the pale gold accents from the circuit board and emitter neck.  Smiley

point  Cool

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 09:08:54 PM »

That turned out fantastic! I really love it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 05:50:33 AM »

Beautiful saber here! I'm not usually a fan of activation boxes but this is really stunning work!

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: