Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Can I upgrade to an AV Switch  (Read 2801 times)
Oomile
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -11

Dark side points yo down with the jedi!

« on: May 29, 2018, 03:03:28 AM »

So I just recently went to Megacon and bought a $75 mystery saber got a Dark iniate v4 AV R which I was kind of bummed about since i have the Domnix V4 in Red, but that's okay super stoked to have it, but can I upgrade my Domnix V4s to an AV switch or no since I ordered them with the guarded switch?

Down with the jedi! Long live the sith! Dark side will always be better than the lightside!

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 03:57:40 AM »

They can be upgraded, but it wopuld require removing the Guarded switch. That can be tricky.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 05:48:36 AM »

They can be upgraded, but it wopuld require removing the Guarded switch. That can be tricky.
Are the holes the same size? I thought they were different.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »

Are the holes the same size? I thought they were different.
Yeah they are different. If you do it yourself you will either need to buy a smaller AV or drill out the hole. The other option is send it in to US for an upgrade.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »

I've just done this myself to one of my hilts, and will be posting a guide in the next week or so. You'll need a replacement switch, usually they come in 12mm or 16mm sizes. I believe the standard latching switch that US uses is about a 9mm or 10mm in diameter so you'd need to drill out the hole. Basically:

Pry out the switch
Cut the wires close to the contacts
Slide out the wiring, batteries, LED unit
Use a vice, clamp or other such equipment to hold the empty hilt in place
Using a power drill or something like that, carefully widen the hole - a 12mm switch needs a 12mm drill bit, and so on
Replace the wiring in the hilt, and pull the severed wires back through the switch hole
Add some heat shrink to the cut wires
Strip the ends of the wires to expose the metal, and loop the exposed sections through the switch contacts. Twist them around themselves and slide the heat shrink over them, then heat them up to secure the connection
Add a bit of electrical tape wound around the thread of the AV switch to hold it in place, and slide the switch back in

The whole thing took me about half an hour - not too hard at all Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »

I wrote that half-distracted last night! Important note: Remove the batteries before you do anything involving the wires Smiley

And do make sure to take all necessary safety precautions - I recommend wearing safety goggles, for example.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

DavidYaw
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »

Strip the ends of the wires to expose the metal, and loop the exposed sections through the switch contacts. Twist them around themselves and slide the heat shrink over them, then heat them up to secure the connection

I would recommend soldering the wires to the switch connectors, rather than relying on the heat shrink to hold the connection in place. Do the loop through the hole in the switch connector, then a quick touch with the soldering iron to ensure you have a good connection before covering it with heat shrink.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:15 PM »

Yes, that absolutely works too Smiley I just used the heat shrink as I don't expect there to be too much 'pull' on that area of wiring, but soldering is definitely more secure!

If you need any guidance on soldering, I posted my own experiences as a beginner at http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=16431.0 where I was fitting quick disconnects to some of my hilts.

I'll have the how-to with pictures for replacing the switch up in the next week or so.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: