Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: RGBA, eh?  (Read 3042 times)
Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« on: June 03, 2018, 02:17:51 AM »

I just ordered an RGBA. I prefer real colors over simulated color mixes. I'm a spectral snob, I know it.  Wink

So, for anyone else with RGBA, what kind of settings do you use for the colors you like with your A? If you also have an RGBW, how does it compare at achieving these colors? Do you feel you can get the same with your RGBW?

I've ordered FOC in SY, but that's just to see how they do it. I will likely change it to pure A myself in the future. Or some A G mix to lighten it. I'm a snob, but I don't support spectral segregation. I just don't think RG should appropriate yellow.  Cheesy

Share your love of RGBA capabilities folks!

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 06:02:03 AM »

I have an RGBA diamond azure menace saber and am very happy with it.  However the amber is slightly more of a light orange color as per below pic:

I honestly didn't like the SY default color though myself, as to me in person, I can see the green in it:

But I am slightly red/green color blind in that I tend to be sensitive to greens, and less sensitive to reds, when the colors are blended with others.  So I see greens pop out to me in color blends, and I have difficulty seeing subtle shades of red in color blends.  In the default SY, my eyes pic up the green in the blend and I just didn't like it.  Since I read about and saw the nice yellows that could be achieved with AS and yellow color filters on this forum, I did just that with my azure mantis, and am very happy with the vibrant "pure" yellow I got with that:

I would like to try an RGBW diamond saber eventually but I hear it helps create more pastel colors which I am not interested in enough at the moment to shell out the money for that this year since I have already been spending more on sabers than anticipated.  And I want to get my wife her hot pink prophecy first since my son and I have finally convinced her to join the fun this summer.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

lovetadraw
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -175

Lawth VS Malice ~The End of Innocence

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:50:36 AM »

For a good gold yellow I run the G/R at the same value and the A just a little lower.

"Somewhere between darkness and light I reside, seek not to save me, for I needn't rescue."

Emerald Consular Staff (PO and Gold)
Chimera (Custom with Maticore emitter)
Cyan Short Boi (Modified Dark IniV2Le)
Kylo Ren-egade (Custom with Renegade parts)
MHS Luke Hero (Archon emitter)
Mustafar's Wake (Modified Dark Prophecy)
MHS Skywalker Saber
MHS Darth Zannah

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »

I honestly didn't like the SY default color though myself, as to me in person, I can see the green in it:

Since I read about and saw the nice yellows that could be achieved with AS and yellow color filters on this forum, I did just that with my azure mantis, and am very happy with the vibrant "pure" yellow I got with that:

And I want to get my wife her hot pink prophecy first since my son and I have finally convinced her to join the fun this summer.

My brother in law has some mild color blindness. He sees cyan as white on Rocksmith, but he can differentiate yellow and orange sooner than I can in that game. Differences in individual perceptions are part of why I prefer purer/closer wavelengths to make a given color. I fear the same about the SY mix. I haven't seen it in person, but in VA I can see blue and red at the same time. I expect even more so with green and red, and pictures seem washed out while videos seem to keep changing as the saber changes angles. I've been happy with my AS yellow filters.

If you end up wanting a pink dayblade and are willing to experiment, the 'enhanced' red blade from TCSS makes a kind of hot pink when shining blue or blue/red mixed purple through it. In daylight, it turns pink to my eyes. So, if you end up wanting a pink dayblade, the 'enhanced' red with a sanded surface will likely make a good pink with the blue red mix LED that makes hot pink. Just an idea, unless someone already makes a full on pink dayblade.

Thank you both for sharing your experiences!

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 12:59:58 AM »

Just got my diamond.

So, am I crazy and/or does A and B make purple?

I thought it would make a weird whitish or off yellow/green, but it made purple just as clear as red and blue. I'm not as much of a spectral snob as I thought. I suppose the Amber LED is really making a range that includes some red and green as well.

B G makes some interesting mixes in person that I've never seen in photos.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Light side points please

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:44:08 AM »

Yep amber and blue light make a purplish color, I was surprised as well.  But I think Logos told me that before I bought my RGBA diamond so I was slightly prepared.  You can tweak it a bit and get what looks to me like lavender, but then again like you said you can do that with red and blue but it seems a little harder to get that just right.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »

Just got my diamond.

So, am I crazy and/or does A and B make purple?

I thought it would make a weird whitish or off yellow/green, but it made purple just as clear as red and blue. I'm not as much of a spectral snob as I thought. I suppose the Amber LED is really making a range that includes some red and green as well.

B G makes some interesting mixes in person that I've never seen in photos.

I remember this. The annoying thing was I was trying to get something close to white, and all I could get was a pinkish purple.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 02:46:47 AM »

I'm using the transition of amber and red with blue at max to get some interesting purple flicker settings.

Express diamond editing doesn't get the flash right. It keeps the blue and other colors active through the flash and just makes pinkish. I have to go into advanced mode to make it turn off the red and blue and just flash amber with a little green. Or perhaps express mode uses the 4th LED with the assumption of white, and would be a multicolor flash if it weren't A. I'm tweaking as I see fit.

I am glad I got A instead of W. I've already made acceptable white facsimiles. My AdeganSilver is even slightly off white, so I used pale filters to make it just a little bluish, which I can also do with RGB. The yellow made of just RG never really looks clean yellow to me. I can see both colors in it. But, just a bit of RG with full A makes my preferred yellow. And AG is a nice lime.

I'm pretty sure I can still make pastels. Just more tweaking would be needed than pure RW or BW, etc.

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -168

Once you start down the dark path...

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 01:55:47 AM »

My first 5 sabers were RGBW, and I guess I really wasn't even aware of the RGBA option until recently. I very recently ordered and received a Diamond Renegade and became aware of RGBA. Since this particular saber will be primarily blazing red, I chose RGBA after educating myself about it.

Messing around with it in the UltraSabers Launcher, I think I made the right call for the application I wanted. The red, orange & yellow color tones are amazing.

That said, I have been able to achieve pretty much any color I've wanted with RGBA, including pretty decent whites.

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »

... but in VA I can see blue and red at the same time. ...

It's similar for 'glass-wearers':
With mixed RB-colors (like in my homebrew VA) I usually can see a blue 'aura' on one side of the blade and a red 'aura' on the other side.
(Quite annoying if you prefer a 'uniform colored' blade Wink )

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Light side points please

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 03:51:00 PM »

Interesting, I am going to have to try looking at my sabers with my glasses on now.  Cool

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 07:16:21 AM »

Interesting, I am going to have to try looking at my sabers with my glasses on now.  Cool

Might be me, though: I'm near-sighted and everything beyond 10 inches starts to blur, so my glasses are 'above average thickness' Grin

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 10:06:12 AM »

Might be me, though: I'm near-sighted and everything beyond 10 inches starts to blur, so my glasses are 'above average thickness' Grin

I feel you on the "above average thickness" glasses remark.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Darth Davester
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -132

Dark Side Points, please

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »

I feel you on the "above average thickness" glasses remark.

I'm legally blind, as I have Retinitis Pigmentosa, but from what I can actually see, the colors look great, although I haven't seen all the US blade colors in person, it would be interesting to see how they look through my messed up eyes to see some of the effects some of you guys have mentioned.

I'm on furlough for the weekend from the Veterans Blind Rehab Center in Long Beach, CA and I brought my Dark Sentinel LE v4 stunt and my Dark Prophecy, and they have been very well recieved there, as there are many, many nerds such as ourselves that work there.

In fact, I had a nice little duel with Amanda, one of my Living Skills instructors yesterday after our class.

I'll post my own thread about this whole experience and how Ultrasabers has positively impacted my life with these awesome sabers!

MTFBWYA

and points for everyone.  Smiley

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Arsenal:
Dark Apprentice LE v5 Banes Heart Stunt-incoming
Dark Arbiter Consular Green Stunt
Dark Prophecy v3 Blazing Red Obsidian v4
Dark Sentinel LE v4 Arctic Blue Stunt

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 06:15:42 PM »

My boss has RP. He has enough field of view to drive to work and back on roads he knows with little traffic in daylight. He can't see in rooms with low lighting. He trips on stuff due to the limited peripheral view. I've wondered, as it affects his color vision or anyone with color vision issues, how purples and yellows made of mixes appear to those of different sensitivity for varying frequencies. I have a true 410nm purple that I think outdoes any shade I've made with RGB mixes. I suppose it would be interesting to find out how he sees the mix vs. real purple.

He's about to see if he can qualify to take part in a gene therapy study that may stop the progression. Have you heard of anything like that?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: