Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Battery Stand-by Life: A tale of three sabers.  (Read 1789 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« on: June 05, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »

Hey guys!   Something that I hear kicked around now and again is "how long do batteries last?"   I think we usually interpret this to mean "How long does the saber last when turned on before the batteries die?"   But as someone who has sabers that sit around a lot and get picked up a random times to swing around briefly for a quick "fix" this question means something entirely different: How long do the batteries last in the saber when its not being used?

I have three sabers that I want to compare side-by-side for some (I hope) illumination.

Saber 1: Aeon V4 with Obsidian V4 sound, Emerald Driver, Li-Ion battery set-up, non-illuminated AV switch.  (center)

Saber 2: Dark Catalyst with Obsidian Lite, Tri-Cree AS filtered to SY, no FoC, lit AV switch.

Saber 3: Dark Catalyst stunt with Tri-Cree AS filtered to Hot Pink, latching non-illuminated AV switch. (no picture, sorry...)

So...   What I have found:
Starting from a full charge, the Aeon will sit for about 2 weeks and still turn on and have a few minutes at least of play time.   Any longer and it needs to be recharged.  If I've been swinging it around periodically it is usually dead after less than 2 weeks.

The DkCat with ObsLite has standard AAA batteries installed.  It goes anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks easy without being depleted, though it might be a bit dim when you turn it on.  The current batteries are 7 weeks old and are still nice and bright.

The DkCat Stunt has had the same batteries installed for 5 months now, and it is still going strong though I think it is starting to dim just a bit. 

The Cats both have about 45 minutes of 'play' time on them as well. 

I can remember listing pros and cons for ObLite vs ObV4 more than once.  Stand-by battery life has to be one of them.  You get a more even power flow with the Li-Ion batteries and buck-puck but the Ob Lite with  standard AAAs last a LOT longer on the shelf.  :-)

Anyway, my .02c.  Hope this helps someone out!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Goldldr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 26

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 08:04:02 PM »

Thanks for this!  I was just wondering about this after I took out my diamond consular with li-ion today and found it dead after a couple weeks sitting.  This was very useful.

Current Saber Collection (?=mystery box pull, *=raffle prize)
Consular (Diamond)
Flamberge v2 w/ renegade LE emitters (Diamond)
Azure Reaper Obs4 tri-cree CG
Crimson Scorpion ObsL FO (?)
Liberator v3 stunt FO (?)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)
Dark Apprentice stunt FO (?)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:22:11 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to do this.  This is all good battery life information to know.  Smiley

point  Cool

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 02:12:07 AM »

I've noticed similar 'shelf life' in my own collection.
Stunts seem to last forever, followed by the Obs Lite sabers
The Emerald in Duron's Lance goes down in a couple of weeks

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »

Yeah.  If I ever get another Emerald/ObsIV or a Diamond I am going to spring for the recharge port option.  I usually have my Aeon now with batteries on the charger.  I used to have two sets, but there was an .... unfortunate incident.  :-/

So I just grab the Obsidian Lite saber when I need a fix...

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »

Karmack- this is great information. Thank you for sharing, much appreciated.

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

GeddaTheHutt
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -195

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »

Interesting post, I had wondered about battery life in different types of sabers thanks for sharing.

Sabers owned: Bellicose CG, Aeon V4 BR, Azure Fallen AB, Crimson Dorian Diamond,

Saber wishlist: Lost Gray, Scorpion, Brood Guard, Dominix LE V4, Apprentice V4, Spector, Grandmaster, Domicide, Dark Graflex.

{dark side points please}

PrincessKnowItAll
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 05:35:48 PM »

If you look at the datasheets for each of the soundboards you will see all have a slight voltage draw when not in use, the illuminated AV switch has the biggest draw on standby (mentioned in one of the videos), so the information will vary based on that as well.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 03:21:58 PM »

If you look at the datasheets for each of the soundboards you will see all have a slight voltage draw when not in use, the illuminated AV switch has the biggest draw on standby (mentioned in one of the videos), so the information will vary based on that as well.

For context in my observation:   The Emerald/Obsidian IV equipped saber has a NON-illuminated AV switch.    The Obsidian Lite equipped saber has a lit AV switch.  The stunt has a latching AV switch.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 04:10:11 PM »

Good to know, now, I have an idea of what to expect.  Thanks!

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 06:08:06 AM »

Thanks for the info. Also, i really like the way you displayed them. I was trying to decide how I wanted to do it myself. Great ideas.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 02:38:15 PM »

Thanks for the info. Also, i really like the way you displayed them. I was trying to decide how I wanted to do it myself. Great ideas.

The display is actually a mop holder from Wal-Mart, uses Command Strips to stick to the wall.  Works great!  :-)  We moved not to long ago so I need to get my display back up in my home office space.  Right now they're stacked in a corner... 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: