Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Nostalgia....  (Read 10805 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« on: June 07, 2018, 05:22:11 PM »

So, I was swinging my saber around the other day...

And it hit me: I've been doing this a LONG time...

When I was a kid, I had a great Christmas present.  It was this:

I remember this as one of the best presents I had ever received.  The blade was made of yellow vinyl, the same stuff they made beach balls and pool toys from.  I blew it up and my dad and I figured out how to attach it to the flashlight, and for an hour or so I had a great time!

One drawback: the blade would eventually go soft, so you had to take it apart periodically and re-pressurize it.   And at some point the following summer the blade "popped".  The hole was patched with a tire kit, but it was never the same after that.  The opaque patch on the blade just hurt the illusion.  And of course, there was no sound but what we could produce ourselves.  :-)

What struck me the most of the memory, though was the color - the blade was yellow.  When I first found US, the color of blade I wanted was yellow.  Not green, blue or red.  Yellow.  I hesitated on my first order and didn't pull the trigger until I found out about the "forum" colors and how to order SY.  Now, as with my Dark Catalyst in the first picture, I tend to get Silver and filter it to yellow.

But the irony: My favorite toy as a boy was a flashlight with a yellow blade attached to make a light saber.  Not far from what my US sabers are.  :-)

Anyway...  I wanted to share.  It dates me, but does anyone else remember having one of these classic Kenner toys?

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Matt Nihilus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -170

Matt Akur

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »

Hi Karmack, this is just great to read and reminds me a lot of my own little nostalgie story Cheesy.
I was born in the 80's and played a lot with actionfigures such as He-Man later Turtles and so on. When I was a little older I really got into 80's horror movies and still love them today. A couple years ago I discovered a company who makes all the classic horror characters as actionfigues and I got addicted again and started collecting. The second collection I've started was Star Wars figures with focus on the original trilogy. I will always love the things that surrounded me as a kid from movies to music to toys and I try to preserve my inner child every day  Wink.
Greetings!

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »

Hi Karmack,

Yes I do remember those inflatable Force Sabers (from what I have read they are VERY rare now, there was an article on StarWars.com about the one you had and the solid blade "Whistling" tube sabers) You are also lucky getting a yellow hilt as IIRC one of the early Luke Skywalker figures had a yellow extending blade and not the blue one he should have had.
My first saber wasn't as posh (or officially licensed!) as yours but was a 2 cell flashlight with tsuba handguard disk and white plastic tube attached. There was also a big black end-cap on the tube Tongue.
 It cost me £2 from a Woolworths store and it just lit up white. That is until I had a flash of inspiration whilst eating some Christmas candy. I noticed something green glinting in the light and I found that it was an empty candy wrapper. The wrapper was green but also TRANSPARENT...so I flattened it out then took my saber apart and stretched the wrapper over the light bulb  housing, then reassembled the hilt.
I was invited to a Star Wars Christmas party to show off our toys and we all brought our sabers . The lights were turned out and on the count of three we all lit our weapons. I hit the switch on mine and  Ta-DAH! it lit up in ROTJ GREEN! The room went silent!  I was the only kid in my town with one which made me cool (I wasn't cool very often but at that moment in time I was!)
Anyway sorry for my rambling and thanks for sharing your memories, point incoming.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 02:48:33 AM »

An inflatable saber... that is so wizard!! Thanks for sharing this! I started with the Vader and ROTJ Luke sabers in 1996, had so much fun with those and still got 'im.  Grin

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

digitalsithlord
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -165

Give into your Anger...Give me "Darkside" points..

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 12:07:30 PM »

I remember this as one of the best presents I had ever received.  The blade was made of yellow vinyl, the same stuff they made beach balls and pool toys from.  I blew it up and my dad and I figured out how to attach it to the flashlight, and for an hour or so I had a great time!

One drawback: the blade would eventually go soft, so you had to take it apart periodically and re-pressurize it.   And at some point the following summer the blade "popped".  The hole was patched with a tire kit, but it was never the same after that.  The opaque patch on the blade just hurt the illusion.  And of course, there was no sound but what we could produce ourselves.  :-)

What struck me the most of the memory, though was the color - the blade was yellow.  When I first found US, the color of blade I wanted was yellow.  Not green, blue or red.  Yellow.  I hesitated on my first order and didn't pull the trigger until I found out about the "forum" colors and how to order SY.  Now, as with my Dark Catalyst in the first picture, I tend to get Silver and filter it to yellow.

But the irony: My favorite toy as a boy was a flashlight with a yellow blade attached to make a light saber.  Not far from what my US sabers are.  :-)

Anyway...  I wanted to share.  It dates me, but does anyone else remember having one of these classic Kenner toys?

I had the Kenner Return of the Jedi green lightsaber, that was all plastic.  It has this cheese force sound effect as it has these vents that let the air whistle through it.  I LOVED that saber.  These also came in three distinct colors...Red, Blue, and Yellow.  Ah the good ol' days...a simpler time...I never saw the inflatable lightsabers.  I miss the old toys and the new ones just suck, for the price point on them.  Great photo and thanks for the memory share! Point

Lightsaber Arsenal:
Red Liberator - GB
Prophecy v2 - AS
Bellicose - BR
Archon V2.1 - CG
Crimson Reaper - BR
Dark Monarch -BR
Aeon v3 - SY
Malice - BR
Aeon v2 - AS
Dominix v2- VA
Dark War Glaive - DVA

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:59:00 PM »

I miss the old toys and the new ones just suck, for the price point on them.  Great photo and thanks for the memory share! Point

I wouldn't say all the new ones suck. I mean after all, we are on the forum of some of the new ones. Wink

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 01:20:58 AM »

Those card backs look so nice, why can't they just do that with figures/toys? Instead it's all computer perfect images. Thanks for sharing!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 01:54:40 AM »

Sorry... enjoying the sharing but all I got was a samurai sword and my own horse.  Lightsabers and Star Wars not a big deal in my family.  Actually no one but myself went to see any of the movies in the theatre.  Undecided

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 02:24:09 AM »

I missed the blow up lightsaber craze. My first was something like this:

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 03:08:58 AM »

.  Lightsabers and Star Wars not a big deal in my family.  Actually no one but myself went to see any of the movies in the theatre.  Undecided

Same, I actually never saw a Star Wars film until Ep. I came out..I was 16.  I got hooked fast and consumed over 20 years worth of Lore before Episode II came out...lol. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Kando
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 12:40:34 AM »

I remember having this prode droid that set on a stand and shot foam discs at you. Can't find it's like in a quick google search. Hit my grandmother in the face with a disc I deflected. Last I used that, haha.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 12:49:32 PM »

OMG Karm...I haven't seen one of those in almost 40 years...

I had the plastic "whistling" saber that I eventually broke the blade off of...I forget when and where  Wink.  SO...I took the blade and taped it to the silver metal flashlight that my parents had and, viola, I had my lightsaber back!  Fun times  Smiley

...Is it just me or does that uninflated blade look like a prophylactic?

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »

Kids must have known how to have fun back then. The closest I can imagine would be if Rogue One had all the good toys.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 08:01:29 PM »

I remember having this prode droid that set on a stand and shot foam discs at you. Can't find it's like in a quick google search. Hit my grandmother in the face with a disc I deflected. Last I used that, haha.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&biw=1067&bih=580&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=IA8oW6DsBMTAsAWw4ImoDw&q=sith+droid+attack+game&oq=sith+droid+attack+game&gs_l=img.3..0i30k1.20565.27077.0.27229.25.15.0.8.8.0.847.2274.0j2j3j1j6-1.7.0....0...1c.1.64.img..10.15.2520...0j0i67k1j0i10i67k1.0.ACYENj-gZJA#imgrc=JLA7G3NIoPDNEM:&spf=1529351999365

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 06:56:01 PM »

I remember just using a flash light with my brother and turning off the lights imagining that they were sabers.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: