Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Photography  (Read 9211 times)
Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« on: June 13, 2018, 02:44:57 AM »

I like to consider myself a photographer, albeit perhaps not a great one. If anyone would like to follow or support my photographic endeavors, you can check out what I've done at the following link. The next steps I would like to take would be to get a speed light and explore more avenues of different lighting, portraits, and macro photography. I will be posting more soon and as I take more shots.

https://www.clickasnap.com/venturous1v

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »

Hey those are pretty cool. Smiley  Great subjects.  Is it bad that I like the coke bottle shard the best? Tongue

I'm wanting to get into making better videos and taking better pics myself.  Presently I'm just using my cell (which has an ok camera actually, but STORAGE!)  Looking at a GoPro...

So, while I'll be more into making videos, it will still take decent panoramas.  Macros - not so much...lol

-1 MV Wink

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »

Very good. I wish I could afford a really nice camera. Great pics! I really like the puzzle pieces. Can't wait to see more.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 07:04:52 PM »

Thanks. It doesn't take an amazing camera to take good pictures. Most of those were taken with a cheap Fuji zoom camera that was about $100.

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:22:15 PM »

Thanks. It doesn't take an amazing camera to take good pictures. Most of those were taken with a cheap Fuji zoom camera that was about $100.

Well that's nice to know. Thanks. Again, really good stuff. Did you take any photography courses or are you self taught?

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:32:15 PM »

Well that's nice to know. Thanks. Again, really good stuff. Did you take any photography courses or are you self taught?

I took a photography course back in college, but in reality, most of what I've learned has been from watching Youtube videos. If you want to learn more about it, I'd recommend Adorama TV and Mike Browne on Youtube. Both have excellent videos on a range of topics dealing with photography.

GeddaTheHutt
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -195

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »

You have created some really interesting images Master Venturous. Can't wait to see more of your images.

Rule 1 of photography Darth Silenoz the photographer makes the image not the camera and as MV said earlier Youtube is where I learn a lot
of photographic techniques.

I really enjoy photography as well, I do macro, art, and nature photography. I would like to start doing some portrait photography.

Sabers owned: Bellicose CG, Aeon V4 BR, Azure Fallen AB, Crimson Dorian Diamond,

Saber wishlist: Lost Gray, Scorpion, Brood Guard, Dominix LE V4, Apprentice V4, Spector, Grandmaster, Domicide, Dark Graflex.

{dark side points please}

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 01:39:26 PM »

I want to get into photography just need to find the time and a camera.  I love your work thus far, Master Venturous!

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 11:27:41 PM »

I want to get into photography just need to find the time and a camera.  I love your work thus far, Master Venturous!

Thanks very much. It's a great hobby and doesn't require amazing gear to get amazing results. I think my next purchase will be a reversing ring so I can get some decent macro shots.

Darth Trivius
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -17

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »

My bird photography.

It's been almost as big a hobby as lightsaber combat over the years:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AFA38YSZtGvsGpHR5y-efpF8ePQZZ69-?usp=sharing

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 02:39:58 AM »

My bird photography.

It's been almost as big a hobby as lightsaber combat over the years:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AFA38YSZtGvsGpHR5y-efpF8ePQZZ69-?usp=sharing

Those are some very respectable shots you have there. It takes a good amount of patience to do anything wildlife photography, especially with birds, so hats off to you there. Do you specialize in bird photography or do you venture into other avenues as well?

Darth Trivius
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 03:01:40 AM »

Thank you very much! Yours aren't too bad either!

Patience? That is an understatement; to get those 61 shots, it took me 6 years, as these are only my best ones. With wildlife photography, if you shoot the same subject, you can take probably 100 shots of said subject and be lucky to come out with 1 good one - you have to take what you can get, because the birds only stay in the frame for around 10 seconds at a time.

It's absolutely MADDENING.

But no, I don't do other animals - just birds. I plan to become an ornithologist after grad school.

It seems, also, that I only know how to do birds; if I take shots of anything else, they just turn out bland and boring - I once tried out to be a yearbook photographer at my high school, and to get in, they judged your photos of 3 subject categories: nature, people, and objects.

Their response to my submissions was, "Lord Trivius [not using my real name], you presented by FAR the best nature shots, but your other photos are lacking, and unfortunately, being a yearbook photographer is about photographing people, not birds, so you didn't make it."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 03:43:59 AM »

Patience? That is an understatement; to get those 61 shots, it took me 6 years, as these are only my best ones. With wildlife photography, if you shoot the same subject, you can take probably 100 shots of said subject and be lucky to come out with 1 good one - you have to take what you can get, because the birds only stay in the frame for around 10 seconds at a time.

But no, I don't do other animals - just birds. I plan to become an ornithologist after grad school.

It seems, also, that I only know how to do birds; if I take shots of anything else, they just turn out bland and boring - I once tried out to be a yearbook photographer at my high school, and to get in, they judged your photos of 3 subject categories: nature, people, and objects.

Their response to my submissions was, "Lord Trivius [not using my real name], you presented by FAR the best nature shots, but your other photos are lacking, and unfortunately, being a yearbook photographer is about photographing people, not birds, so you didn't make it."

So glad I'm not the only bird lover around here (there are some others, but they seem like they stick with parrot-like birds) I'll have to take a look at your photos.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 03:56:59 AM »

I'm not sure why a yearbook photographer would be judged on nature photography, but that stinks that you didn't get it. I've done a couple weddings for friends, but I was more of a backup photographer and not the paid one, even though I was told that my shots were usually better and more artistic than the paid guy that was used. I tend to shoot flowers and plants more than anything, but I want to progress more into the macro and landscape field. I've only shot a few birds and insects, so I know exactly what you mean about only getting a few usable shots. It's even worse when trying to shoot something as erratic as a humming bird or a bee. Patience pays off though and you definitely got some good shots for the trouble.

Darth Trivius
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 04:20:26 AM »

When you take better shots that the professional photographer...

That's so awesome.

I think they only threw that category in so they could get a feel for our overall sense of composition.

I'm not much of a flower guy, but to shoot hummingbirds, I've kinda had to become an expert on them, to fill the garden space around my house with hummingbird attractors (they're all red, red, and more red - bees and hummingbirds are mortal enemies, but hummingbirds are more efficient pollinators, so flowers that co-evolved with hummingbirds turned red because bees actually can't see the color; to them it looks green, like leaves instead o flower buds. I guess there will never be any bee Sith Lords).

Hummingbirds - they're impossible! If you notice the collection I showed you, there's only 1 hummingbird. That's because they're just too damn fast for me, OR my shutter. I can only get them when they're perched, which is almost never. That's why there's only 1 hummingbird shot. Glad to meet someone who understands!

You should definitely try to broaden your photographic horizons; DO MORE BIRDS! BIRDS ARE AWESOME!

Yes, patience is key. One wouldn't think, upon meeting me, that wildlife photography would be a thing I do. When it comes to most things, I'm probably the most gung-ho, impatient, brash person you could meet. I have a very love-hate-ish relationship with wildlife photography. Some days, I just want to take my camera and smash it, like when that scarlet tanager (they look like this: ; I didn't take that one - like I said, I ALMOST had a shot like that) escaped my lens MILLISECONDS before the shutter released, depriving me of a shot that could've looked like that one. So be warned, if you expand into wildlife photography, there'll be a LOT of days like that.

But when you get shots like those 61, it becomes worth it.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: