Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20   Go Down
Author Topic: Fate of the Aether  (Read 73488 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2018, 02:35:24 PM »

LSG, that was an amazing sequence!  Well done.  :-)

I loved seeing some of the "minor" characters in action.  Even the non-warriors among them are formidable.  And Adaea took out Yncara nicely with a bit of improvisation.  I imagine her training with Kazic and Sarri helped a little bit.  :-)

Selaena, though, represents in my mind the core of the Aethan's internal struggle.  To her the Outsiders will never be anything but targets - someone for her to 'tell her story' - in the only language she believes they understand - violence.  Milaea will have an up-hill battle to fight with her and other survivors to overcome that bone-deep belief.  If she can.

Melron's conversion was also poigniant.  Well written and well done.  He's my favorite of the Aethans to date, I must say.  I look forward to learning more of him in the future!  ;-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »

I loved seeing some of the "minor" characters in action.  Even the non-warriors among them are formidable.  And Adaea took out Yncara nicely with a bit of improvisation.  I imagine her training with Kazic and Sarri helped a little bit.  :-)

Umm not sure Adaea ever trained with Kazic/Sani...Aresaea would be at that point in time...The continuity is this occurs before Schisms for the most part. But yeah the Aethans have a thing about starting names with 'A' and adding 'aea' on the end.  But yeah when your entire population is 10 people in a very dangerous galaxy for Force users you have no choice but to all be ready to fight for survival.

And yeah I wanted to give them more time even at the expense of making the story much longer so they will show up again.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »

Ah, my bad!  Sorry!  I did get them confused....   :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »

This was a fantastic sequence!  Being able to see a great perspective on some of the periphery Aethans gave yet another window into their lives (making their losses that much more poignant).  Combined with the fact that the Morgukai POVs are amongst my favorites, I have to say that I really enjoyed these last couple chapters (and who doesn't like Mandos?!)  Smiley

And all set to the tune of "The Eye of the Tiger" oops, sorry, "RancorWink

Furthermore, I can see why the Aethans have become so xenophobic given their experiences... Karm really hit on something: Melron's scenes were fantastic!  He really is the last vestiges of the "old guard(ians)" but that doesn't necessary mean that he's obsolete (especially not now with his desire/intent for Renewal).

But...Xithar is still out there...

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2018, 01:56:12 AM »

Chapter 25 — Home Front — Meeting of Minds

Part 1

Sofa

“My brother will ensure the prisoners are compliant and oversee the interrogation...after their technical experts will be more than happy to share their Besalisk technology with you…and we will deliver three suits of Morgukai cortosis armour for joint research,”

The captain of the Chiss carrier nodded, in the aether Sofa could feel he was already writing up a report that painted him as a hero for obtaining Mandalorian technology, Valens didn’t seem to care, the Ascendancy knew who was running this.

A smirk crossed the blue face followed by a nod, “Our Engineers have been after a working Basilisk for quite a while…this is most welcome appropriation….We will be departing in three hours, your….fauna,” no doubt the Yruts and Vornskrs they had brought from Myrkr.

“…is safely stored for transport, anything we can assist with until then please comm me immediately,”

Valens bowed waving his hand theatrically to open the door with the aether – the gesture discomforted the Chiss and reminded them that the Aethans were the one with the arcane powers the Chiss, with their regimented view of the galaxy, lacked.

Once gone Valens breathed out heavily – while he had recovered physically from his time on sinkhole and Myrkr quickly, emotionally he was still tentative.

She slid her arms around his waist from behind clasping him tightly in support. 

Their first time together with her new body had been familiar yet different - Clearly the ancient Aethans had put a lot of effort into designing erogenous zones and unique muscle controls to make everything as enjoyable as possible. Even having ‘practised’ with Kiraea the shock of the sensation almost had her leap off, but after a few minutes, a little experimenting with different paces and a lot of pheromones dribbling out from the mingled saliva glands in her mouth that seemed over reactive in the excitement they managed to come to a pleasant ending.

The change in Valens mood was almost instant, his forlorn presence melting under her chemical barrage.  They lay for a long time after the only sound the hum of the hyperdrive and the soft wet click of gentle kisses….until the little orb of Blackstone flew of its own accord to his hand.

It soured both their moods – as quickly as her efforts had risen them.  To be attacked again…had she not just settled his mood she feared how Valens might have reacted.

“They didn’t get what they wanted,” she brought both of them back to the present, “the clon…babies are safe.”

For how long they both wondered. If anything this turn of events was making her just as worried…was this to be her life again, running from one crisis to the next…

“We still have to find the others…and protect the system…we came so close to losing the others…” she wanted to let go of him as his thoughts dragged at her emotional state.  Sofa clung tighter and twisted him round to face her instead.

“We’ll find them…” she pulled her arms out briefly to wrap them around his neck

“In what state…” he noted darkly, the influence of the Aephorisone in his system already waning. 

That was not a good path for him to go down – so she intervened leaning into plant her lips on his unexpectedly and darting her tongue in a slick flood of pheromone laced saliva flowing with it.

“Worry about it later,” she smiled despite her own concerns

“C’mon I want to try some things out with these new legs of mine” she dragged him back toward the ships ramp and the small room within.  “You must’ve gotten so bored with my old body…” she twisted him toward more pleasant thoughts

“…Having to hold back not to break me in half…or crush me to death” as impressive as his ability to lift her with one arm was his ultra-dense muscles, bones and organs had always limited the positions they could try for fear of his sheer weight falling onto her in a moment of pleasure hazed excitement.

“…that…that never mattered Sofa….” He replied – his concern for her feelings seeping out…beside the need and desire for her companionship, affection, compassion, her previous physical limitations weren’t an issue.

“Hmm…sweet…in a strange way…” she replied to his sentiments
“...but still I always wondered what it would be like underneath…”

<<<<>>>>

Melron

It was all new…the machines, medical devices strapped to his body…he skimmed Adaeas thoughts as she went about checking statistics…so much to learn…he had wasted so much time.

He was strapped to two intravenous drips, flooding him with ever more nutrient rich fluids that provided the raw materials for his body to repair – but only to a point. 

The Valley was their world, but it had not provided for all their needs, the limited range of meats and vegetables meant they missed required vitamins and proteins – this was not an issue up to their first maturation stage – but it resulted in cell degradation if not provide in the second. 

Melron hadn’t even known they had a second maturation phase…none of them did…so much had been lost they were strangers to their own biology in some ways.

The first ended after puberty, a brief stabilisation phase followed till the age of 21-24.  The second phase 25-40 initiated tertiary and quaternary development of bones, muscle fibres, some organs and cartilage – but most important were changes to the immune system and DNA replication and encoding, with Analyser proteins that triple checked encoding during cellular division to ensure it was always accurate.

The result was an ageless final development point and lifespan with no known limit – but it required proteins, vitamins and heavy metals not present in the Valley to be ingested during the second phase.  A glance at Valens and Adaea entering showed it in action, with access to the wider array of foods from the Republic they looked like immortals, a late teen-early twenties woman and early thirties male, but Melron had been locked into an ageing body long before then. 

“It is reversible…” Valens noted

“One thing at least…” he replied as Valens probed his mind…sensing his new found resolution, but shame at having lived as if he were already dead, writing himself off for so long, placing the burden of leadership on Kiraea and the others when he as the eldest should’ve risen to the fore.

“I recognise my failing, and will be sure to correct it,” Melron confessed to them.

Valens sat on the bed beside him, lingering traces of his own guilt etching the air between them.

“So must we all, no one failure is any less nor more than another’s, it is all a product of the Devastation forced upon the People.” 

“Sofa, Adaea…take note of how I do this…” Melron felt the tug of their minds on Valens…he had resisted Sofa joining the People…but now…whilst still conflicted, he could understand the need for new blood and idea, and Valens aura seemed more settled in her presence.

“Your genetic code has the latent ability to perform the rejuvenation…but it needs an external prompt after so much hibernation.  It’s not hard once you know how, an old Technocracy Technique…similar to normal shatter point healing…but…you’ll see the difference…and it will hurt…”

Melron nodded steeling himself as the red energy sparked on Valens finger tips in time with the pumping of nutrient fluids into his veins.

The red haze of sensory overload was a fitting censure for his failures.
<<<<>>>>
Jarys
“…that was the first time we ever even saw ‘Gorog’ it was all done through the holo-net…people like that don’t do deals face to face.”

Jarys nodded for the interrogator – she was telling the truth.  He was stood behind the Mandalorian Clans second in command - one Meeda Ordo - acting as a lie detector for the Chiss.

He never thought of himself as that imposing…but in his new Guardian Armour even the surly Mandalorian veterans seemed to tremble when he came in, even if they didn’t show it outwardly – he might consider a career as a bouncer or bodyguard.

“What information or assets were you to acquire,” the steeple fingered interrogator continued

“Clone pods, captives,”

“What were you expecting to find in these clone pods?”

“Nothing just told to take the station, capture anyone who came to the rescue and find the pods 1 million apiece.”

“Surely you were instructed what was in the pods, else how could you obtain what your employer desired specifically…”

“Look Red eye you don’t get those kind of details on a slog mission, you get co-ordinates, a broad target and a 10% retainer, nothing else.”

Jarys nodded again, she didn’t know anything beyond the rage she felt for Captain Tern not realising the deal was too good to be true.

“I think we’re done here…”

Jarys loomed over the woman, shorn of her red armour she looked very little in the chair.

“You will direct me to your technical experts and ensure they comply with my instructions…you will ensure the Chiss are given three fully functional Basilisks with all attended programming and engineering specifications before you are released,”

He could feel her mind twisting, trying to out run the tide of his power, like a reed before a tsunami, he had no desire to break it fully.

This was not their true enemy.

<<<<>>>>

Milaea
She couldn’t delay telling them…or at least not anymore.

She had delayed too long as it was – being a female and a strong one Maeson wouldn’t dare pre-empt her in telling the others what they had found on Bimmiel – but would hide nothing from the Guardians when they checked in now that the ‘issues’ on Myrkr were resolved.

She searched out Kiraea’s presence across the galaxy – she was the easiest to find, the brightest and most welcoming.  Instantly she felt the warm reciprocation and invitation…locking onto her presence she concentrated a projection of herself nearby, the image of where Kiraea was slowly resolving before her…

At first she thought something was wrong with the connection, there were limbs all over and a lot of movement…muscular arms too broad to be Kiraea…

“Kir…OH MY”

The scream came from behind – Jarys sensed no threat, but pulled Kiraea down beneath to protect her, though her legs still splayed out behind him.

“What are you doing its just Milaea!” she cried beneath him, she pulled herself up over his shoulder to glance at the furiously blushing young woman

“Good, you can learn something watch carefully how I use my….”

“I think I’ll come back later….” Milaea replied her aetheric illusion fading away as fast as it had come.

“No….you feel like you have something urgent to say…the Goddesses won’t mind if we don’t perform the Rite three by three times if it’s important,”

Milaea did NOT need to know how many times they had just ‘performed the Rite’….and she certainly did not need to see an example of it!

She tried to keep her composure and looked away as they – disengaged – from each other…her father summoning a sheet, Kiraea chiding his prudishness with her glare.

“Ummm…so you’re together now,”

Kiraea nodded,

“You’re proof Jarys produces strong offspring, we’ll birth lots of babies once the moon is right.” Milaea slightly trembled at the thought of a child with Kiraea’s temper and precision and Jarys endurance and bestial strength…

<Two of them surrounded their attempt to infiltrate failed – or had it? - the soldiers positioned to fire on them – but they smiled, their four siblings were waiting just behind, each slash hidden and fast as their mother had shown them, delivered with the strength and fatality their father advised .>

Kiraea shook off her unfulfilled build up by stretching out as Jarys unwilling to embarrass his daughter further made himself scarce.

“You really should have watched, it’s good to see a demonstration, timing muscle contractions with pheromone release can be tricky and…”

“OK whoa, enough….I don’t need to see that…”

“Well not yet but next time we’ll…” Kiraea paused sensing her discomfort, Milaea was so prissy about such things to start off with…Sofa had been much easier to teach.

“Maybe you should get the others together…and get dressed…”

“Why…”

Milaea decided it wasn’t worth the argument

<<<<>>>>

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2018, 01:58:08 AM »

Part 2
The People
Her head was throbbing - while her time with Kiraea had given her control over most of her new bodies functions, Sofa still hadn’t mastered streamlining the ‘Aethenaea Cortex’ a thin interlay beneath her prefrontal cortex that integrated information transmitted by the aether into procedural and declarative memories as if she had done it herself.

They had begun their gathering by sharing what they had all learnt since they’d been apart - Mandalorian tactics, the methods of an Advoszian Aether warrior, Morgukai Ritual combat, advanced flow walking, hypothesis regarding a horrific but trapped creature in the Maw called ‘Abeloth’, wookie hunting techniques, Juyo lightsabre form, and Jedi logistical strategy…

Sofa would never wonder why they never seemed to lose a fight again – No one could learn as fast as this – no enemy could change tactics quick enough to keep an edge over them.

And whilst Sofa was happy to see Milaea…the tension that rose with each word that passed her lips was horrific.  Valens was becoming increasingly concerned Kiraea or Selaena would destroy something with an unconscious eruption of energy. 

The only mother among them already incensed at the babies being taken and a second attempted kidnapping just averted, Selaena was almost apoplectic that they were mutilated and experimented on.

It seemed no matter how much suffering she had to bear, the Outsiders found a way to add to it. Selaena was visibly trembling in rage, Lyaea and Kiraea holding her up as Adaea gripped Sofa’s hand painfully seeking comfort amongst the only other woman.

Of all of them Valens alone could see past the emotional content to the potential strategic goals of the parties responsible. There were innumerable factions who would raze worlds for twenty force sensitive genetically engineered infants, but few who could command resources enough to send Mandalorians and Morgukai to attain them, fewer still could genetically alter them while still in their pods….and even less would proffer them as a ‘reward’ for slaughtering deranged cultists on an aether infused asteroid. 

“At least we know the bounties are linked to the clones,” Jarys noted cautiously as Milaea’s image flicked, there was something off about her…was this a fathers intuition?

“We should head to this Iathar palace together…hit them hard and fast.”

<Nar Shadda…where dozens of their friends and family had been killed or shackled…where Shilea had been turned to a crazed murderer, Cilina tortured with Sith devices till her body gave out….Eyes blazed red with fury, the lingering memory in the aether overwhelmed their reason…

Iathar Palace was already a burning wreck – but the chains were loosed and couldn’t be refastened.

For every one of the People who had suffered on the smugglers moon an entire district was put to the sword – Shikkar torpedoes wound through the under levels shattering foundations - durasteel and ferrocrete no match for telekinetically strengthened Blackstone

As the towers collapsed Hutts, gangsters, smugglers, mercenaries and bounty hunters all crowded the skies trying to escape  - hand in hand four Aethans hurled twenty stories of skyscraper into the cluster of ships - shrapnel spiralling into a hundred other buildings>

“No! I’m already en-route…” Milaea said quickly as the most likely future played in her head – they would not be able to contain their rage on a moon so infused with the memories of the Peoples trauma’s – her different upbringing meant she alone should be able to keep a clear head.

Jarys looked at her oddly as her image flickered perhaps just distortion, keeping up an aetheric illusion at this distance even with a link orb – an aether programmed device that smoothed and powered the connection - was taxing and imperfect, especially if she was in hyperspace.

“…I doubt we’ll find anything at Iathar Palace,” she explained

“It’s the publically broadcast drop off point, likely only a sweaty accountant and a few goons with a ship to deliver us...I’ll just extract the real destination from them,”

Jarys ticked over the logic…”It would be consistent with using intermediaries in every other situation so far…” he recalled Meeda Ordo’s being hired through at least three layers 

“Right, they wouldn’t be on Nar Shadda just like they weren’t on Bimmiel,” Milaea confirmed his thoughts to protect them from themselves
“There are probably half a dozen layers of goons to get through yet…”

“Should’ve taken the Morgukai…he might’ve known more…” Lyaea berated herself, the Leader Tok had escaped even the Chiss patrols

“You made the right decision…an angry Morgukai on our enemies tail can only be a good thing.” Sofa noted, Kiraea feeling more than a little pride at her use of the word ‘Our’. This violence and threat was not doing much for Sofa’s happiness in her new life, but while the hormones were still washing out from her last tryst she was relatively placid.

“We need to step up patrols around the other Stations…” Melron suggested, Milaea noted his presence, like his hair was lighter and healthier than before - he had finally agreed to full physical rejuvenation, but she suspected the psychological renewal was more energising.

“I’m sure the Chiss will be happy to oblige…” Valens noted

“If we release the Mando’s they will soon spread word to the other clans not to take any contract that involves the Deep Core and Clone pods…”

“Merciful…” Kiraea noted evenly

“Practical, the Mando’a have larger informal networks than you would expect and if they say a job is too dangerous or weird every other mercenary or hunter listens. At any rate I don’t think our enemies know the location of any of the other stations…if they did they would’ve hit them all at once,”

Kiraea nodded “They want the babies…they know once they hit our home we’ll tighten security…they hit every target they had – it’s what I would’ve done…”

“Which indicates they didn’t get much from Lyr…I did a Night Sister blood trace on him, he’s being held somewhere in Hutt Space around Nimban…we should head there next….perhaps this Aether wielding enemy ‘Aur Hondo’ is there…” Valens went on noting Lyr’s message had said Aur Hondo was holding the clones

“Do we know anything about Aur Hondo?” Milaea asked, “I suspect someone wants us to think he’s responsible –we should find out why…” if she could divert the investigation into small groups the damage they inflicted would be more limited.

“He’s a Black Sun Vigo…so certainly capable of recruiting Mando’s…The Sons had a few operations against this Hondo, but he mainly operates out of Ando and around the Arkanis sector last I heard…and there was never any rumour of him being an aether warrior…” Jarys explained

“If he was a capable Aether warrior in this despicable galaxy there wouldn’t be any rumours…” Melron noted “He would keep his abilities secret from those Jedi maniacs…perhaps it’s a double bluff – Lyr says Hondo did it so we assume Hondo is a mere scapegoat when in reality it is Hondo all along…”

“Possible…” Kiraea noted the intricacies and inconsistencies defying even her ability to piece things together, they needed…not a lot more information…just a few more fragments to be able to solve the mystery of the kidnappers identity.

“I’m sure the Sons have a few cells who can provide some details…if nothing else at least find out who wants Hondo dead” Jarys explained

“You mean apart the obvious…his slaves, the Sons, the Hutts, his lieutenants and the other Vigos…” Lyaea noted stroking her mother’s back as she calmed down, a plan forming gave Selaena focus from her pain.

“True it will be a long list of potential enemies…” Jarys conceded

“We could just play their game, take Hondo’s head - if he is the kidnapper we win, if not we see who benefits the most afterwards and go for them…” Adaea suggested, seemingly at odds with her usually placid demeanour, kidnapping and mutilating their children would do that.

Milaea could see only vast rivers of blood resulting from any of these plans….even so…

“OK…sounds like a plan” Milaea quickly broke in

She needed to keep up the pressure directing them away from just hunting enemies, put a more positive spin on things to keep them from ganging up and spreading more terror than necessary…she could accept they would severely punish the kidnapper…but at least she could try and limit collateral damage up to that point.

“Jarys if you and Kiraea follow up with the Sons, Melron you and the girls secure Home…Valens if you and Sofa look for Lyr…hopefully they won’t be expecting us at any of those locations, let alone all at once.”

Milaea balanced resources as best she could - Jarys affection for the Sons would hopefully rub off on Kiraea as her new mate, Sofa presence would moderate Valens, and the girls couldn’t do much damage at home…

“I’ll try a mind trace…Ando, Nimban and Jonex mine near Bimmiel – it’s an odd combination of planets to be thinking about…” Valens added

Milaea nodded then turned to the others,

“Ada are the new ships ready,”

“Very ready…I used up some of the Torpedoes and sonic charges though…”

“Good, those should help in case the Jedi know we’re using Chiss ships,” Milaea avoided talking about or mentioning – or thinking about - Myrkr…she wasn’t sure what hurt more, that People had killed more Jedi…or that the Jedi had actually tried to trap them there to lure her and Valens…that was not very Jedi like – either way she needed to avoid a repeat - or worse - occurring elsewhere.

“Sofa can take the Happy Gorbil, Kiraea can have the Lucky Gondur, I quite like the Smiling Gormin” Adaea went on only referring to the women as she felt fitting.  Milaea found her choice of names for this ships slightly less than inspiring,

“Uh…perhaps we should come up with some other name…so that we can talk about the ships secretly near outsiders…” Milaea cautiously worked through logic that wouldn’t offend Adaea’s efforts.

“Oh….good idea! What shall we call them!”

“I suppose the tradition is to name them after women…so one named Karintha…after the strong and wise Guardian of her People….the Yorna for the kind and caring Guardian of her People, and the Lyssia my maternal and loving grandmother….”

The words were few but the meaning that flowed between them was rich, even Sofa despite never having met any of those women felt the tug of sadness deep in her breast pulling the tears from her eyes.

“With their blessing we’ll find more of our lost people, and defend our home” Milaea assiduously avoided saying ‘and destroy our enemies’ leaving the notion implicit and hopefully tied to self-defence.  Yet she knew every hour spent with this threat hanging over them could only make them more dangerous.

They nodded contentedly as a beep behind her signalled the resolution to real space….time to go…

“Take care my love, we’ll join you after we talk to the Sons…but tell us straight away if you find whoever’s behind this and we’ll come and help you dissect them.” Kiraea patted her formless head.

It wasn’t the most peaceable send of, but given the situation it was the best Milaea could hope for.

<<<<>>>>

Lord_S_Gray

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2018, 02:01:17 AM »

Part 3

Sofa

It was called Qâzoi Kyantuska, not that she could pronounce it.

A Sith mind control technique refined to seek out someone.  The Aethans used a version to find each other across the galaxy, combined with aetheric projection to talk…and now she would use it to seek out in the seemingly endless sea of minds someone thinking particular thoughts. 

It was a big galaxy but surely not many people would be simultaneously thinking about Ando, Nimban and Bimmiel a Twi’lek captive, 10 million credit bounty and twenty clones…the more specific the terms the less search results just like Holoogle.

Sofa lay back on the bed and prepared herself, Valens had told her broadly what to expect…still searching the galaxy for a single mind was daunting, but if she was going to learn she needed to dive right in.

“I’ll back you up…whoever we’re dealing with could be dangerous,” he leaned over to kiss her forehead, “I’ll keep you safe,”

She reached out to hold his hand,

“I know you will,” her pheromone bombardment had him mostly his old self again…Aethan neurobiology was both extraordinarily complex and painfully simple – it relied on connection to others to work properly, they were a deeply communal species – she couldn’t help but wonder if the extremity of their violence was in part due to losing the calming influence of the many aura’s they would normally be surrounded with. 

She lay back and closed her eyes sinking into the aether, rising her mind into the immaterial…at first Jedi standard sensing of emotions, but she pushed further to a conscious level…just the people near her…Valens…Kiraea and Jarys…the Chiss…then more and more as she picked up inhabited planets…so many…she couldn’t,

“Focus…the planets…just the planets” she heard Valens voice echo in the immaterial depth above her,

The planets,

Ando, Nimban, Bimmiel, Nar Shadda she repeated to herself, the minds she could feel reduced to manageable number as she pushed her mind further like a net into the waters….

There was no distance in the aether…lightyears meant nothing…minds from other worlds entered,

Ando, Nimban, Bimmiel, Nar Shadda

Hundreds of light brightened her mind

Ando, Nimban, Bimmiel, Nar Shadda

Thousands more added with each passing second…how much further should she go…

“The Twi’lek, the clones” Valens prompted,

Ando, Nimban, Bimmiel, Nar Shadda Lyr’Ca’Njo, Twenty Clones

The lights receded dramatically, thousands vanished into dozens,

Ando, Nimban, Bimmiel, Nar Shadda, Ly’Ca’Njo, Twenty Clones, Ransom, Bounty

Now just one…a deep red light…she swam toward it, receding her net back now she had the trail. 

It grew larger, it began to fill the entirety of her mind’s eye…other lights resolved around it, the people her target was near, the place….

It turned to gaze upon her…A blinding flash of crimson poured back at her

“AAAAHHHH!” the worldess scream of her ming as it pounded at her,

A Wall of Deep black slammed between the red and her, leaving her in painful silence.

Xithar

Now that was just rude! Intruding on his thoughts like that!

Xithar hammered back against the light blue probe with red fury, pushing toward the peeping mind…he almost had…it was a her…strong but not…

An oblivion wall slammed in-front of him…familiar

“Yessss” he hissed, this was the one that had programmed Lyr, now a dense light sucking black pushed against his oily red,

“Come to me! Show me what you are!”  he seeped words from his mouth as his body flopped to the table, diverting all his energy to the mental combat.

Red and black surged and frothed into a ball of liquid each trying to overcome and surround the other, bubbling and flowing, pulling back to crash down like tsunamis or receding like the tide to build momentum.

This was power! This was what he sought…This was the male Valens…yes…such power, well trained, experienced…perhaps too much so…

As he kept up the attack he caught glimpses of the mind and its surrounds…A ship…blues and greys…the woman…not just a woman to him…a partner – no an equal? Hardly…a Goddess…how quaint…but ah…Valens could see his surroundings as well…ah let him see the Nimban retreat, he already must have some idea.

The battle churned and twisted…Xithar could feel himself start to tire…there was no resolution in sight…it seemed they were evenly matched…yet…

No…he had been foolish…Valens was playing for time…sucking every detail he could…and while Xithar was tiring from the exertion of the battle Valens was not…he must be a force native…yes that would explain the force sensitive clones… he played on that advantage to wear Xithar down.

Xithar had to retreat…break the connection…he turned his attention back to the blue light that had first pierced him hoping to make a strike…but the wall was still protecting it…stronger if anything.  He had no choice.

He slashed all connection to force and fell into darkness.

<<<<>>>>

Sofa

Her head was pounding, like someone had shoved a knife into her ears and twisted…She had blacked out for a while there…

She felt blessed she wasn’t waking up after another month long coma in the Jedi Temple…

Valens was lying beside her convulsing…

She didn’t know what to do to help him, the force was all over the place around him…she could try and pry him out…but she was worried she would do more harm than good.

Whatever Valens had planned to teach her something had gone terribly wrong when the Red Mind fought back.

Gradually he stopped his tremors but remained flaccid. She needed to wake him up somehow…in the back of her mind she felt Kiraea’s non-verbal lessons tick over as she analysed Valens in the Aether…a plan of a kind forming in her subconscious.

“Well here goes,” she flicked her tongue up and squeezed the glands beneath gently, her mouth filled with the sweet creamy taste of her pheromones

She lent over him and brushed her lips over his, dribbling some of the enriched spittle into his mouth.

As he gasped into her mouth, she pulled back,

“Valens are you…”

“Fine…I’ll be fine…”

He leapt up with unnatural speed glancing around the room looking for some phantom she couldn’t see…a trickle of meaning flowed from him directly to her mind…teaching…showing just as Kriaea had done.

“He’s gone…”

“What was he?” She asked,

“A Sith…a true Sith…not a Dark side Pretender who bandies the name Darth to aggrandize himself….” he paused frowning at the cabin door as if it held come secret he had searched a lifetime for,

“This is a Sith who bears his title as a burden, a weight that reflects his understanding of the true Sith philosophy…the Line of Bane…”

She could feel the concern…not quite fear…but deep apprehension boil off his aetheric aura, sitting up she draped herself protectively over him…despite the chemical rebalancing her sexual strategy had produced he was still fragile. 

“What does he want?” she said quietly

“I don’t know…something that I don’t have…his feelings were…elated at first…excited…but he sensed something in me…certainty…,” he turned to face her and placed his hand on her thigh

“Loyalty and unwavering dedication….that makes me useless and dangerous to him….either way,”

His fists clenched and relaxed rhythmically as his eyes steeled in a way Sofa had seen all too often of late.

“He has to die, quickly…before any plans he has can advance even a millimetre more…he’s on Nimban now with Lyr - I scraped that much from him…we’ll pick up the trail from there and then I’ll tear his head from his neck.”

<<<<>>>>

Xithar

Well that was unpleasant.

Nonetheless he had learned much about Valens, a force native, exceedingly powerful…in all honesty stronger than Xithar was by a significant margin…experienced and competent. 

He seemed protective of the woman who was substantially weaker than him, yet regarded her highly – that Xithar could exploit but he could not risk engaging him directly ever again.

Best of all he had sensed a deep sorrow and determination to see it rectified in the form of the clones…as Xithar had surmised he was trying to rebuild something, a race or an Order of some kind, Xithar had disrupted that intention in a way that frightened him.

But this dedication meant he would never have any interest in furthering the Sith cause, he was too wedded to his own…

In which case Lucovis would turn his attention fully to the female Milaea.

He slowly picked himself up from the table, pieces of slow cooked diced Bantha cheek in Blossom Wine sauces dripped off his face – his  dinner ruined when he had fallen face first into it as his Sephi cowered in the corner.

“Not to worry my dear, just a little headache,”

<<<<>>>>

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2018, 03:04:32 PM »

Wow....   

First, the planning session.  I know they're not the most fun segments to read but I also know how crazy-hard they can be to write!  This one was well done, with a decent pace but more importantly it gives us a nice glimpse into each character's motivations.  Milaea, still trying to stave off the Oblivion Army.  Melron, eager now to learn and grow.  Sofa, trying to keep Valens sane and stable and finally get that "happily ever after" she is so desperate for.  Selaena nearly overcome with pure rage.  Adaea seeking comfort ... and referring only to the females in each group, more bound (seemingly) to the Matriarchy than the others.

And the plan - hit 'em high, low, and middle...

And so we see them going out.  Jarys and Kireae to talk to the Sons of Kessel (perhaps this is what leads to the massive Black Sun beat-down that sent them into a six-hundred-year rebuilding phase?) Sofa and Valens to find Lyr - the Master Mind -  and Melron and the girls securing the home front. 

No real mention of where Milaea was going.  :-)

And on the other side...  Xithar and Valens crossing swords in the Aether...   Ouch.  And now Valens and Sofa, at least, know their true enemy.

Party time.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2018, 04:45:55 PM »

Interesting battle on the metaphysical plane... Xithar/Lucovis doesn't disappoint!  And Qâzoi Kyantuska...Mendax certainly made good use of it and it looks like Sofa and Valens have done likewise.  This has certainly set forth circumstances in motion guaranteed to change things, and drastically I'm thinking.

I feel most sorry for Miliaea.  She's facing adversity on both sides: from Lucovis with his machinations and from Mili's own people in her attempt to dispel the possible future of violent Aethan conquest/conflict.  And now she's on Lucovis' radar exclusively...

And Melron's ongoing Renewal and character arc has quickly become one of my favorites.  I'm thinking that his transition could be a very poignant development, certainly enjoyable  Smiley

I'm wondering if something happens between Jarys and the Sons since, at this time, they're somewhat insignificant (certainly compared to Scrubber's Sons).  Maybe one of the reasons that Black Armor is such a fixed presence during Scrubber's time...?

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »

Interesting battle on the metaphysical plane... Xithar/Lucovis doesn't disappoint!  And Qâzoi Kyantuska...Mendax certainly made good use of it and it looks like Sofa and Valens have done likewise.  This has certainly set forth circumstances in motion guaranteed to change things, and drastically I'm thinking.

I feel most sorry for Miliaea.  She's facing adversity on both sides: from Lucovis with his machinations and from Mili's own people in her attempt to dispel the possible future of violent Aethan conquest/conflict.  And now she's on Lucovis' radar exclusively...

And Melron's ongoing Renewal and character arc has quickly become one of my favorites.  I'm thinking that his transition could be a very poignant development, certainly enjoyable  Smiley

I'm wondering if something happens between Jarys and the Sons since, at this time, they're somewhat insignificant (certainly compared to Scrubber's Sons).  Maybe one of the reasons that Black Armor is such a fixed presence during Scrubber's time...?

In the Legends timeline the Sons of Kessel rose up and became very strong during this time, only to be destroyed by the Vigos and reduced to a very small and insignificant force.  I'm thinking that Jarys was the reason they had the power to become a force, and that the withdrawl of the Aethans led to their fall ... only to be reborn by the Scrubber / Black Armor alliance at the end of the Empire.

Which, you know, could be Jarys returning to redeem them....   :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2018, 08:58:46 PM »

Wow....   

First, the planning session.  I know they're not the most fun segments to read but I also know how crazy-hard they can be to write! 

No real mention of where Milaea was going.  :-)

Yeah not always exciting to read but you have to do it to set the next series of adventures up so I made sure to add the metaphysical battle as a payoff for getting through the the first part (and the shameless nature of Kiraea's bedroom habits).  Glad it worked out .

And Milaea did say she was headed to Nar Sharda...you know cause she won't slip out of control due to all the Aethan pain that resonates there.............

As for the Sons...well if you had Jarys helping you out you could get a lot done too...and if Kiraea joined in...

Lord_S_Gray

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2018, 12:41:14 AM »

Chapter 26 — Fallen Order — No Confidence

Yoda

He had been angry…but hadn’t let himself feel angry.

Betrayed…but hadn’t let himself feel betrayed.

And now after Myrkr humiliated…there was no other word for what happened there and the retreat back to Coruscant afterwards…but had not let himself feel the shame and regret of that humiliation.

He was too busy being Grand Master, thinking himself above such petty emotions younger Jedi struggled with.  The fear he had admitted to himself but not the anger.

He stood in a disused storage area deep in the central plant areas of the Temple, away from prying eyes.

The Anger —

“WHY” He yelled,
“For what gain these Jedi kill did you?”

The question wasn’t just directed at the Aetherians…but at Kimar for his assassinations, of the Mak’Tor as well – and most importantly at himself for being a bystander and then leading others to their deaths.

“What use their sacrifice, no victories won, no ideals defended!”

His left foot clawed at the dust….

“Dust they are now, dust all this has achieved…”

The Betrayal –

“This your thanks for training, supporting, guiding you…This how you repay those who accept and fought for your place here?”

It was hardly as simple as that…still….

“Even if a Jedi you did not wish to be…our beliefs disagree…why hide…why remain?”

He couldn’t comprehend it…no answer would ever suffice,

“And you Kimar…your own vows your own Order turn against to save it…what greater treason…destroy that which you seek to save…kill the body to cure imagined disease…”

And himself –

“Repeat their mistakes would you, betray your own ideals, refuse offer for truce, use the Order as an army!” shaking his head “Repeating not only, adding to indeed, destroying hope, hiding behind words of justice…”

The humiliation –

“Grand Master, pah, Master Pah, Great Jedi, pah…none of these things Am I…a foolish child…”

He giggled…actually giggled to spite of himself

“Jedi, a race of true warriors seeking to defeat…pah…of the highest order this foolishness was…”

He took out his sabre and threw it across the room in comic parody of how Valens had disarmed him

“A great warrior to destroy Aetherian one must be…so great a warrior who loses his weapon?”

He finally flopped onto the floor

“Failed as a warrior to be so defeated – Yet failed more deeply as a Jedi I have to seek to be a warrior. Shamed am I…my own actions shame…”

Staring up at the ceiling he reflected

“Knew I should have…knew I should have…thought I did not…From your failure…”

He shook his head as though he were berating an apprentice

“…much to learn have you…much to learn,”

<<<<>>>>

Tnbu
Once more the council met in a temporary room beneath the shadow of defeat.

Three new Masters had been appointed to replace Kimar, Yoren and Gurrlum, apart from that the only difference was instead of Yshrrk, still recovering from his wounds, the Second Sentinel Oma stood behind a chair placed for her, a pillar of armoured iron against the wilting robes of uncertainty.

“Call this meeting to commence I do,” the Acting-Grand Master began as Usura began typing minutes.

“First order of business…” he swept the room with his eyes

“Resigning from my position as acting-Grand Master am I.”  Normally such a thing should be met with gasps of shock.

Not a sound was heard.

“Appointed by default not merit was I, my actions on Myrkr proven beyond all doubt inability to fulfil the duties and responsibilities required.”

Tnbu listened intently for any ripple in the air – all his Sullustan hearing picked up was the static flicker of Nagasa’s holo-projection before he spoke.

“Very well…in that case we need to appoint another until the conclave can be arranged…” the master on Dantooine again separated by space seemed to be in better control of his emotions.

“Would anyone like to nominate?”

As everyone stayed as still as they would during an Oaken Still meditation.  Valens still on the loose, the defeat at Myrkr and now the Ubese openly attacking the Order – who would want Yoda had only made the poison within the chalice more potent by his failure on Myrkr. 

After such promise the disappointment that followed the realization Yoda was as flawed as anyone else kept them all reticent – save one.

<<<<>>>>

Oma

Deep breathing through her diaphragm she resolved to do what no one else would.

“We need leadership now more than ever,” her voice boomed as she took control of the situation straightening her already rigid posture.

“These terrorists must be stopped, Master Yoda was correct to pursue them, even if his strategy was ill suited,” she paused deciding not to press any potential division

“Swift decisive action is needed to deal with our emboldened enemies in the Ubese and their Aetharaian allies – if no one is going to nominate, then as acting High Sentinel I will take on the role until Yshrrk recovers or the conclave meets.”

<<<<>>>>

Tnbu
Finally someone else realised the danger they were in.

“Correct Sentinel, we can no longer remain passive, the danger to the Republic is too great.” He straightened his posture

“I support Sentinel Oma taking on the position until Yshrrk recovers – war is upon us, the Sentinels are best placed to lead,”

<<<<>>>>

Soryu
He watched on as the Order voted itself into endless war.

“I second that,” Yoruuba agreed, “The Sentinels must take charge,”

Oma, a woman for whom the Order was the nascent military arm of the Republic, less Jedi than soldier would only charge them in one direction..

Torfun nodded, “Agreed…”

Usura uncomfortably butted in “So that is three votes for Sentinel Yshrrk…”

“Correct Knight Usura…” Nagasa noted “This is not an easy choice, however given the repeated attacks and the increasing spread…I concur.”

Soryu knew that would not have been an easy choice for Nagasa, still it disappointed Soryu he took it.

“My vote if for Oma as well,” one of the new masters Osoris added “if we do not seize the initiative and show we are still a force to be reckoned with things will only get worse.”

“Agreed…” the more contemplative Master Genoris voiced in slippery tones of an Aleenan
“Yoda’s efforts failed, but his intent was correct, weakness encourages predation, that the Ubese felt bold enough to attack us directly shows just how far our mystique has fallen – if it is not restored soon Jedi on a thousand worlds will be harassed by the desperate and malcontent. “

“That is a majority…” Usura noted.

Yoda simply sat silently as the Order passed from his hands into Oma’s. His position had been untenable, Soryu knew that, yet…

All this politics should not be part of the Jedi in the first place.

“This is not the way…” Soryu finally spoke up

“What is not the way?” Master Kedbas queried his four arms folded sternly across his chest.

“This…is simply repeating the mistakes made a fortnight ago…and a week before that – we chose to respond to violence with violence – feared appearing weak.”

He looked around to each Council member in turn

“Where in the code are we called upon to appear strong?  And how does martial prowess equate to strength? This is the path of retaliatory violence, not the path of the Jedi – compassion and forgiveness these are the strengths we should be cultivat…”

“This is not some meditation retreat!” Oma snapped as the room turned upon him once more – their approval didn’t matter only speaking Truth.

“This is the real merciless galaxy, the Ubese, Black Sun, Valens and his monsters won’t be stopped or see the light because we start handing out blossom wine and fey dancing!”

“And so we let them dictate our actions? Follow their path of violence rather than setting our own, seeking every possible alternative first – that is true weakness,”

Oma could only shake her head

“If you wish to become a pacifist hermit go to Dantooine build a farm and stop wasting our time,” her fist balled in rage so consumed in the fires of war was her soul she could not see any alternatives.

“People are dying, it is our Duty, our Oath to stop it, we cannot negotiate with terrorists, we cannot reason with psychopaths – if the Jedi appear weak the criminality that is already out of control will double overnight – these scum only respect power, and we are dangerously close to losing it,”

She gazed down any possible challenge her presence looming as large as her height over them all as she remained standing.

“The Order is on the precipice of falling, and the Republic with it, one more loss like Myrkr…one more scandal like Kimar…I may not be the leader you want, but I’m the leader the Order needs,”

Only a Sith deals in absolutes Soryu didn’t say as the silence once more overtook the room.

As Usura tallied the votes and made the pronouncements Soryu felt none calling upon the living force for guidance, and only one other master listening to his words.

<<<<>>>>

Oma

[/url]

Kimar had the right concept but the wrong execution.

For 15 years Oma had been a Sentinel, seeing firsthand what 400 years of demilitarization had done to the Republic. 

Hutt Cartels and the Black Sun nibbled at the underbelly, a cancer spreading day by day.  System by System law enforcement was incapable of dealing with cross jurisdiction crimes, large corporations developed private armies to secure their interests, in response the Engineers Guild, and Industrial Workers Union also supported para-military wings.

Every Senator was in the pocket of some corporation or cartel, often multiple.  System defence fleets were weak, fragile and unco-ordinated - incapable of dealing with piracy and smuggling as Kuati Drive Yards and Seinar Systems happily sold ships to individuals with the same or better specification than they did to planetary governments.

The Republic needed an army and navy.  But Oma had no confidence that the Chancellor sitting across from her had the guts to do it.

“I have no confidence left in the ability of the Council to get results,” the Duro bitched

Oma had read Kimars file on him before meeting – ironically compiled by Valens himself upon the Chancellors election to give Kimar the upper hand in negotiations - Chancellor Ovrith, the man was in debt to at least three different factions in the Senate, family members owned numerous shares in various shipping companies that stood to benefit from a free trade agreement he was overseeing the negotiations for…and he liked to dress as a Hapan Queen and be whipped with a leather paddle by Rodian teenagers in his private time.

“Not after your paltry effort on Myrkr...you’re what 78 to 0 now Acting Grand Sentinel or whatever you call yourself while the Temple burns around you?”

“I assure you I won’t make the same mistakes as my predecessors, just give me the power I need and you’ll get your results, we already have the Ubese traced, once we find them the rest of the Night of Madness conspirators won’t be far,”

His hand hovered over his stylus…his signature would expand the remit of the Jedi Order to allow active pursuit of identified threats without reference to the Chancellor or Cabinet, but more importantly allow her to take on official auxiliaries to support Jedi operations.

Ovriths finger lifted and pointed at her,

“I want results, I want front pages and picts of the scum you pick up, and I want your media releases to refer to me as being the catalyst each and every success…and if you fail I want nothing to do with it,”

Oma could feel him counting the seconds until the next election in that statement – he wanted to be tough on crime but if the Jedi failed he would not be held responsible.

“Full deniability, this is a Jedi operation, if it fails I fall on my sword like Yoda, if it succeeds it was your pen slicing the red tape holding us back that did it,”

Seemingly satisfied his hand made quick precise lines over the flimsi, an attendant rapidly moved into take the sheet and proffer the second and third copies, before toddling off to file them.

She repressed a grin, this was the first step.  The Jedi were too few to become an army directly - but they could be the core of one. 

Kimar had understood this but made the mistake of linking militarization to strict obedience to the Code and Republic.  Soldiers needed latitude to deal with the stresses of war, not dogmatism.  That was the mistake Oma would learn from, she would set the wheels in motion to begin the transition from Jedi, to Order to Army. 

“Thank You Chancellor,” she bowed formally despite herself….Once they had an army they could do something about these petty politicians.

She had never imagined becoming Grand Master but with Tnbu and the others support she could manage it if she made a strong successful start with Yshrrk out of action and Yoda discredited…this wasn’t ambition, or some ego driven power trip – this was the burden of duty to the heart of their oaths that had lain forgotten for too long. 

As she stood Oma knew she was the only one strong enough to carry it.

<<<<>>>>

Meeda Ordo

Her hand grasped the other woman’s firmly –Meeda might not like dealing with the witches and wizards of the Jedi, but after the last disaster she had little choice – at any rate their credits were good and they paid on time.   

With the deposit she’d be able to get the Mythosaur up and running in no time.

“We’ll get started straight away, should only take three days to assemble the clans and get them to wherever you need them to be,” she assured her new employer Sentinel Oma.

“Fine, have them congregate anywhere along the Metellos Trade Route, targets are Ubese mercenaries operating around the Expansion region up to Yaga Minor mostly, we have intelligence they are currently working with for the Black Sun….”

Ubese…Black Sun Meeda was glad her helmet obscured her frown, that could be trouble…but at least this time she was on the side of the sorcerers.

Tnbu
“Their financial situation is precarious – like most such mercenary bands, their recent losses during an operation in the deep core were substantial - a reliable flow of credits will keep them loyal,” He completed his briefing on the Clan Ordo Mercenaries

“Good…and the Ubese,” Oma queried standing stone still before the holo-projector

“Toush-Uba Clan of the Northern Rad-wastes of Uba IV, led by this man…Goush…mid-range mercenary his relative Juosh operated in Hutt Space and the corporate sector on Bounties…” he paused readjusting the translator on his throat that turned his sing-song voice from sullastese to basic

“It is possible the Ubese were not in fact working with Valens – they may have been following his tail for the bounty and called in support…”

Oma stared with a countenance dark as the depths of Sullusts tunnels

“That would only make their attack on us the more galling…they looked on us with contempt not fear….”

Fear the word took him aback for a moment…but as he considered he began to agree…such violent beings could only be dissuaded from random acts of cruelty by force or fear…

“....ah further,” he recovered “our agents sighted their destroyer – Blood Remembers at an Orbital facility in the Expansion region known to be used by the Black Sun for repairs…which is not overtly surprising…. from there the trail cools somewhat…”

Her voice had a growl to it like the rumble of magma in the mines beneath Inyusu Tor.

“We need that ship found, the longer this Ubese escapes justice the more of his xenophobic brethren will hear his inflated tails about escaping a Jedi fleet…”

The intensity of her gaze fell on him as though the entirety of the Order future hung on his next words

“Our agents are doing all they can…but…there may be a more direct option to obtaining what we need…”

<<<<>>>>

Yoda

He watched on as the first squads prepared for deployment.  Two Sentinels and eight knights in each. 

He saw the logic, the Order had taken so many hits recently they needed to be seen to be strong. 

Yet was martial prowess as indicator of strength really the example they should be setting? The words of Soryu continued to conflict him.

He had no confidence in his ability to resolve the balance between the Orders reality and Jedi ideal.

Perhaps Oma was right - this was the time for a more forceful approach, the revolution the Order needed in the wake of Kimar and Valens desolation – and his own failure.

Perhaps Soryu was right, the time had come to move away from the use of force and the escalation of violence it brought – yet it was surely naïve to imagine someone like Valens would be moved with pity to follow their example.

This was the conflict, the tension that itched at the heart of the Jedi Order never quite scratched – from the warrior Lord of the New Sith wars, to the ascetics of Osssus - to find a balance between the competing ideals…

Was a task for a wiser being than he…

For now Yoda needed to reflect on his own actions, understand and address his own emotions. 

Soryu had tried to tell him, warned him repeatedly, he had not wanted to listen.  He wished he could find him, his wisdom was sorely needed – for both himself and the Order – but after the last Council meeting he seemed to have all but vanished.

“Squad 4 move to docking station dorn!” the voice shook him out of his complacency he was assigned to one of the squads, a concession so he did not feel sidelined. 

Yoda was of two minds, at once he desired solitude to truly seek out the failures within himself as a Jedi should. On the other he knew the Order needed him even if not as a leader, but as a presence to show they were not divided and not defeated.

And he had to admit there was a certain freedom in the simplicity of following orders rather than making decisions. Shifting off the crate he wandered over to the assembling party so much like soldiers lined up for inspection.

As he waited for the ramp to descend to his utter amazement he saw Soryu hurried along to stand beside them, fully equipped to enter the fray.

“Soryu?”

His old friend glanced down at him

“I serve the living force Yoda…seeking to preserve ALL life…”

The ramp descended to reveal three armoured Mandolorian Mercenaries with what Yoda vaguely recognised as clan Ordo insignia.

“I must go where it is most at risk,” 

<<<<>>>>

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »

Nice look at the disarray of the Jedi.   Yoda stepping down caught me a little off-guard, and it re-introduces that whole "How does he become Grand Master?" element again.   LOL   
'
And Soryu...  He seems to be the only one with his head on straight.  I know they're trying to recover, but what they need is that scoffed-at meditation retreat.  Seeing Soryu headed out with the troops, though...  Shock to Yoda, but his motives are intensely Jedi.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »

This was a great chapter.  DEFINITELY shows how polarizing viewpoints can both be so wrong in trying to move on.  Looks like the shadow of Kimar will be far-reaching, indeed.

But better still: this look into Yoda.  As I've said before, I always thought that he was A LOT more fallible than many of my friends (e.g. his failure to extrapolate Sidious' identity, the proximity of the Dark Side, etc.).  That's not an indictment on his character, merely my own opinion.  After all, many of my own characters are compromised (Zearic, Kazic just to name two) which, I believe, makes for a better character study.  One of the reasons I was first interested in Karm's Mak'Tor is that they are Gray Jedi, embracing the fact that they DO have emotions, attachments, and foibles.  Who wants to read about a boring, invincible Hero who can do no wrong (if I wanted that, I'd go see any movie where Steven Seagal plays the lead)?

And Oma is a wonderful foil to Yoda...yet, she's still not exactly what the Order needs.  Too bad Soryu's advice falls on deaf ears.

AGAIN.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »

This was a great chapter.  DEFINITELY shows how polarizing viewpoints can both be so wrong in trying to move on.  Looks like the shadow of Kimar will be far-reaching, indeed.

But better still: this look into Yoda.  As I've said before, I always thought that he was A LOT more fallible than many of my friends (e.g. his failure to extrapolate Sidious' identity, the proximity of the Dark Side, etc.).  That's not an indictment on his character, merely my own opinion.  After all, many of my own characters are compromised (Zearic, Kazic just to name two) which, I believe, makes for a better character study.  One of the reasons I was first interested in Karm's Mak'Tor is that they are Gray Jedi, embracing the fact that they DO have emotions, attachments, and foibles.  Who wants to read about a boring, invincible Hero who can do no wrong (if I wanted that, I'd go see any movie where Steven Seagal plays the lead)?

And Oma is a wonderful foil to Yoda...yet, she's still not exactly what the Order needs.  Too bad Soryu's advice falls on deaf ears.

AGAIN.

The failure of the Council to follow Soryu's lead is the tragedy of the Jedi at this point in the story.  I won't speculate on how this will play out, but I will be very interested to see how he and Yoda interact with the rest of the Council as this storyline progresses.  :-)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: