Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom wiring  (Read 720 times)
Lionheart1989
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« on: July 11, 2018, 07:42:49 AM »

So i got a little creative with one of my ultra sabers. I made a base for it so it would stand straight up and wired a usb cord to power it rather than the battery pack because i wanted it to be like a lamp. But the resistor is getting very hot when it's turned on. This is my first attempt at anything like this, did I screw something up or will it be ok.

DavidYaw
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 12:09:26 PM »

You should be fine.

You said 'resistor', so I assume you're using a stunt saber wired with AAAs. If so, then you removed a 6 volt source, and replaced it with a 5 volt. Therefore, you're not over-driving anything, so you should be fine.

Note that plugging this into a computer probably isn't the best idea; motherboard ports aren't always designed to provide this much power, and Windows wouldn't be happy with the fact that it's drawing that much power without negotiating for it first. If you're plugging it into a phone charger, then that should be fine.

Lionheart1989
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:02 AM »

Ya i have it plugged into the wall with an outlet/usb adapter. I figured it would be fine since I was going down in voltage, which is why I was worried when the resistor started to get hot to the touch. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to catch something on fire.

Lionheart1989
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:34 AM »

Ya i have it plugged into the wall with an outlet/usb adapter. I figured it would be fine since I was going down in voltage, which is why I was worried when the resistor started to get hot to the touch. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to catch something on fire.

Makubex
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

тнərə ιѕ no darĸ ѕιdə, nor lιgнт ѕιdə.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:17:22 PM »

Hrmm there is a possibility since your using it for a lamp you might blow the resistor but the heating is usual
One thing I didn't understand is are you using normal 3x A's or 2x A's?
Or is yours a li-ion set up.. cause from what I understand so far is you totally by passed the battery packs connection and went straight in the the USB specified Voltage used for charging to connect to the + and - male/female connector of the board so it might cause a bit of stress On your resistor...
now are you using a buckpuck to regulate with your resistor? Or did you bypass that as well?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: