Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Thoughts on secondary diffusion for mid grade  (Read 2665 times)
Death Cyborg
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -45

Naughty Person

« on: July 13, 2018, 10:49:43 PM »

I have become a diehard fan of UltraEdge blades, but I have to admit "Hotter" colors, (red and orange) lose a lot of color intensity.
After watching countless tutorials on YouTube, I discovered the concept of secondary diffusion.
The simplest method was sanding the blade. I did it with 80 grit wet or dry sandpaper. After very thorough sanding, I wiped the dust off the blade with a damp cloth, and locked it down on my Orange Dark Initiate V2 . I was a bit shocked how much better it looked !  It was not only seemingly brighter to the naked eye, but it lost none of the rich color !  It is also as "full" as my UltraEdge, as it lights all the way to the outside edge now, rather than looking skinny in comparison. The first photo shows a direct comparison of before and after sanding.( after sanding on the left, before on right)
Note the way the tip now blends into the blade on the left, where before sanding, the tip looked bigger than the tube giving it a mushroom effect as seen on right.
The next photo shows it next to an UltraEdge Heavy Grade and even though multiple LEDs make up Sun Riders Destiny,  the single Fire Orange LED is impressively holding its own. It looked feeble in comparison before.
What are your thoughts on the secondary diffusion? Has anyone here ever sandblasted a blade before ?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Sabers Owned:
Initiate V2 with Sun Riders Destiny Heavy Grade UE Blade
Dark Initiate V2 with Fire Orange Mid Grade Blade
For now......Mwahahahahahaha !!!
(__(((((__o_(((_]]                                                           
(__(((((__0_(((_]]                                                            

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »

I honestly didn’t know about it until now but I must say, I do like the result of secondary dffusion.  It does look brighter and fuller in color.  I like it and may need to try this out

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 05:21:17 AM »

It has been discussed on here before, but as we can see not everybody knows. Shows up like an UE in the photos. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 05:57:36 PM »

Interesting thing to do. I see you have the rounded tips but I'm curious how well it would work on pointed ones. Unless the photo is taken just right there is usually a significant gap of light around the pointed tips of my blades when illuminated (could be that I'm using 36", I'm sure that makes it a little worse).

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Death Cyborg
Knight Ensign

Naughty Person

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »

This is a closeup of before and after sanding the blade.  The rounded tip also had a dark ring below it. The sanding almost eliminated it completely.

Sabers Owned:
(__(((((__o_(((_]]                                                           
(__(((((__0_(((_]]                                                            

Death Cyborg
Knight Ensign

Naughty Person

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:50:40 PM »

Interesting thing to do. I see you have the rounded tips but I'm curious how well it would work on pointed ones. Unless the photo is taken just right there is usually a significant gap of light around the pointed tips of my blades when illuminated (could be that I'm using 36", I'm sure that makes it a little worse).
This is a closeup of before and after sanding the blade.  The rounded tip also had a dark ring below it. The sanding almost eliminated it completely.

Sabers Owned:
(__(((((__o_(((_]]                                                           
(__(((((__0_(((_]]                                                            

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »

Hmm... I might have to try this sometime. Thanks for the pics Death Cyborg, you're awesome, and -1 point.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 11:48:14 PM »

I just recieved a green photon blade today and I’m gonna try that on it!!

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

Death Cyborg
Knight Ensign

Naughty Person

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 01:10:01 AM »

I just recieved a green photon blade today and I’m gonna try that on it!!
Please Post before and after pics ! I'd love to see the effect !

Sabers Owned:
(__(((((__o_(((_]]                                                           
(__(((((__0_(((_]]                                                            

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »

Great closeup pictures, Cyborg.  The different is even more evident

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 01:34:32 PM »

DC- Have you ever tried to put anything other than cellophane wrap inside the blade? I’m not sure what I’m going for, but I’d like to try to find something else and see what effects I can get.

AS

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 01:39:34 PM »

DC- Have you ever tried to put anything other than cellophane wrap inside the blade? I’m not sure what I’m going for, but I’d like to try to find something else and see what effects I can get.

Interesting, I look forward to see what you find. Been looking at different types of film myself and have been wanting to play around with a blank blade from TCSS

Death Cyborg
Knight Ensign

Naughty Person

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 08:56:39 AM »

This will sound a bit weird,  but I got a pretty cool look using wax paper from the grocery store.  It was much brighter than I thought it would be. I used it inside a clear fluorescent bulb shield with a high output LED flashlight.
Low tech,  but it looked really good.

Sabers Owned:
(__(((((__o_(((_]]                                                           
(__(((((__0_(((_]]                                                            

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »

It doesn’t sound weird at all!! In fact that was the only viable possibility I was considering. I’m still trying to come up with other ideas. Maybe some white foam tubing...

AS

Death Cyborg
Knight Ensign

Naughty Person

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 02:12:03 AM »

I know a lot of the string sabers use foam tubing (similar to a pool noodle) and also the foam sheets used for shipping. It has great diffusion properties over a short range, from the LED string to the tube. That way it looks like a continuous glow, rather than individual dots of light. The thing with single light source sabers, like US is the very strong diffusion  of the foam works against you the farther you get from the light source because the light travels through the cells of the foam....the farther you go from the light, the dimmer it gets. With the US type LED setups, the more open the path for the light to travel, the brighter the blade. Ideally,  you will want to keep the diffusion as tight to the walls of the tube as possible,  so thinner is better. I hope this helps imgumby001dammit.
It doesn’t sound weird at all!! In fact that was the only viable possibility I was considering. I’m still trying to come up with other ideas. Maybe some white foam tubing...

Sabers Owned:
(__(((((__o_(((_]]                                                           
(__(((((__0_(((_]]                                                            

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: