Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Sunrider's Destiny  (Read 1761 times)
Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

Don't make me destroy you!!

« on: July 18, 2018, 11:28:03 PM »

I would like to know which grade (mid-grade or heavy-grade) and which style (non-ultraedge or ultraedge) is optimal for the Sunrider's Destiny color. I'm starting now to save for my 2018 Christmas to myself. :-)
I know I want the Apprentice LE v4 hilt with the Catalyst pommel.  If there's a good sale on sabers with sound around Christmas time, I may get the obsidian lite, otherwise I'll go for a stunt saber to save $$.

Thanks for being patient with an initiate.

You don't know the POWER of the dark side!!

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:00:53 AM »

My choice would be UltraEdge mid grade for SRD if you're going for the best look.  UE gives a nice full look that works well with the green/blue mix and mid grade causes less loss of brightness than heavy grade.  If you're planning on full contact sparring go heavy grade, but there's a significant brightness hit in UE heavy grade blades due to the thicker white polycarbonate.  You'll hear many opinions and it's really personal preference, but that's my two cents.  Good luck in your saving, it'll be well worth it!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 02:11:35 AM »

My choice would be UltraEdge mid grade for SRD if you're going for the best look.  UE gives a nice full look that works well with the green/blue mix and mid grade causes less loss of brightness than heavy grade.  If you're planning on full contact sparring go heavy grade, but there's a significant brightness hit in UE heavy grade blades due to the thicker white polycarbonate.  You'll hear many opinions and it's really personal preference, but that's my two cents.  Good luck in your saving, it'll be well worth it!

Thanks for the input.  I would like to do choreographed duels/sparring.  Would a mid-grade hold up or do I need to sacrifice a little brightness and go for heavy-grade in the trans-white?

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 04:39:03 AM »

I personally like Sun Rider's Destiny in the regular blades, but for fights could also always get you an extra Ultra Edge blade as well, maybe get both thicknesses like one for hard dueling and one for pictures and demos and stuff. Just an idea though. I think I'll start saving up for a final Christmas saber as well =] I'll probably have enough to not worry about totals by then and stuff Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:39 AM »

Zren makes an excellent point.  The heavy grade blades are the most expensive and even they are only $35, so you could easily have an assortment and swap them out as desired.  The only issue with non UltraEdge heavy grade blades is that there's a very pronounced "light in a tube" effect since the blade film is (obviously) inside the thick clear polycarbonate.  Not necessarily a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.  I went to non-UE heavy on my Archon 3.1 since the UE heavy grade just ended up too dim for my taste, but the Archon 3.1 is a special case. 

Grab bag blades are another option; they are of course totally random, but they're only $12 each so if you mess up one of them it's not that big a deal.  I bought a passel of them a while back and it's nice to know I have some spares if I need them or just don't want to risk damaging my main "beauty" blades.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 06:05:36 AM »

My next setup for the SRD is a regular blade especially for photo ops, cosplaying, etc.  Pretty much anything involving really vibrant and taking pictures.  I'm going to get a UE for dueling and sparring for the SRD as well

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 06:18:29 AM »

I would like to know which grade (mid-grade or heavy-grade) and which style (non-ultraedge or ultraedge) is optimal for the Sunrider's Destiny color. I'm starting now to save for my 2018 Christmas to myself. :-)
I know I want the Apprentice LE v4 hilt with the Catalyst pommel.  If there's a good sale on sabers with sound around Christmas time, I may get the obsidian lite, otherwise I'll go for a stunt saber to save $$.

Thanks for being patient with an initiate.

For light sparring a mid-grade blade holds up well, and one thing about the UE blades that doesn't get mentioned much is that they don't seem to show the wear-and-tear as much.  At least in my experience.  :-)

Here's a preview of your hilt choice.  My daughter has an Apprentice LE, but it has a Renegade SE (small) pommel rather than a catalyst.  It is pictured with a UE blade, and its SRD.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 09:06:57 PM »

The only issue with non UltraEdge heavy grade blades is that there's a very pronounced "light in a tube" effect since the blade film is (obviously) inside the thick clear polycarbonate.  Not necessarily a deal breaker, just something to be aware of. 

I watched a video by Darth Cephalus on YouTube. He had an UltraSabers non-UE blade.  He sanded it with 120-grit sandpaper as a method of double-diffusing the blade so that the "light in a tube" effect is mitigated.  He just wrapped the sandpaper around the blade and pulled it full length of the blade several times.  This seemed, in the videos, to give a full-bodied blade that's more authentic.  Ever tried that?

Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »

As another respondent suggested, I could get two blades: an UE Mid-grade for show and a heavy-grade for dueling/sparring.  Thanks for your advice.

Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 09:13:11 PM »

Here's a preview of your hilt choice.  My daughter has an Apprentice LE, but it has a Renegade SE (small) pommel rather than a catalyst.  It is pictured with a UE blade, and its SRD.

[/quote]

The Renegade SE pommel is really sweet on this saber.  I think I'll make mine a duplicate of your daughter's saber, but mine will have the windows in the emitter. Thanks for that awesome picture!!! I love that saber.

Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »

SRD looks almost consular green in the picture.  I'm sure in real life it's a teal color.  I can't get over what an elegant saber it is.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 01:36:16 PM »

SRD looks almost consular green in the picture.  I'm sure in real life it's a teal color.  I can't get over what an elegant saber it is.

Its very nice.  The color is very much a teal.   CG is a deeper, richer green.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 04:26:29 PM »

Here's a photo of my Fulcrum and Lost Gray, both in SRD, that I think shows the color pretty well.  It's really stunning in person.

Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 04:40:48 AM »

Which grade of blade are you using?  UltraEdge Mid-grade, midgrade, Heavy Grade, UltraEdge Heavy Grade?

Dark_Lord
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 04:46:34 AM »

The Fulcrum and Lost Gray are handsome sabers. I love the SRD.  That blade would look good in an exact replica of Luke's R.O.T.J. saber.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: