Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Brightness question  (Read 1585 times)
Death Cyborg
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -45

Naughty Person

« on: August 01, 2018, 12:53:22 AM »

Can one of our esteemed members tell me on average how bright UltraSabers are ?
In Lumens if you have that information.
And how much less bright are single LED colors in relation to two or three LEDs?
Thank you in advance !

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Sabers Owned:
Initiate V2 with Sun Riders Destiny Heavy Grade UE Blade
Dark Initiate V2 with Fire Orange Mid Grade Blade
For now......Mwahahahahahaha !!!
(__(((((__o_(((_]]                                                           
(__(((((__0_(((_]]                                                            

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 02:15:28 AM »

Well, they use different makes of LEDs, and there are other factors, so this isn't a question with a simple answer.

According to the more recent releases, such as the Spectre that was just released, the Tri CREEs they're using now are XP-E2s, which are some of the brightest LEDs on the market. To find lumens on specific colors, go to the CREE website and look up the data sheets on the different colors of XP-E2 LEDs.

Other LEDs they use are LED Engin LEDs, I'm not sure which ones. You'd have to find out what exact ones they are and look up that info on the LED Engin website.

The difference between one or three LED diodes of the same color will be noticeable. Exactly how much brighter it is is hard to say. I find brightness to be in the eye of the beholder. Some will say it's 3X as bright, others won't. Resistors and buck pucks also make a difference. I've opened many an Ultrasaber and found the same resistor inside, no matter the color. It's enough resistor for some colors, too much for others. The buck puck will deliver the correct voltage for the color, so it will be brighter for some colors than a resistor. With a buck puck, the LED also won't dim as the battery drains, it will with a resistor.

Death Cyborg
Knight Ensign

Naughty Person

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:25 PM »

Thanks SFD 79 !
Playing around with a 355 lumens LED that is painful to the eyes to look at. I was wondering how comparable it wood be to the US brightness. To my eye, it's way brighter,  but also way hotter.
Well, they use different makes of LEDs, and there are other factors, so this isn't a question with a simple answer.

According to the more recent releases, such as the Spectre that was just released, the Tri CREEs they're using now are XP-E2s, which are some of the brightest LEDs on the market. To find lumens on specific colors, go to the CREE website and look up the data sheets on the different colors of XP-E2 LEDs.

Other LEDs they use are LED Engin LEDs, I'm not sure which ones. You'd have to find out what exact ones they are and look up that info on the LED Engin website.

The difference between one or three LED diodes of the same color will be noticeable. Exactly how much brighter it is is hard to say. I find brightness to be in the eye of the beholder. Some will say it's 3X as bright, others won't. Resistors and buck pucks also make a difference. I've opened many an Ultrasaber and found the same resistor inside, no matter the color. It's enough resistor for some colors, too much for others. The buck puck will deliver the correct voltage for the color, so it will be brighter for some colors than a resistor. With a buck puck, the LED also won't dim as the battery drains, it will with a resistor.

Sabers Owned:
(__(((((__o_(((_]]                                                           
(__(((((__0_(((_]]                                                            

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »

Tri-Cree specs

Size    3.45 x 3.45 mm
Product Options    White
Color
Maximum Drive Current    1 A
Max Power (W)    3 W
Max Light Output (lm)    283 lm
Maximum Efficacy at Binning Conditions (lm/W)    137 lm/W
Typical Forward Voltage    2.9 V White @ 350 mA
Maximum Reverse Voltage    5 V
Viewing Angle    110
Maximum Junction Temperature    150 °C
Binning    85°C
ANSI
Maximum ESD Withstand Voltage    8000 V (HBM per Mil-Std-883D)
ESD Classification    Class 2(HBM per Mil-Std-883D)
Reflow Solderable    Yes - JEDEC J-STD-020C-compatible
RoHS-Compliant    Yes
REACh-Compliant    Yes
UL-Recognized    Yes - Level 4 Enclosure Consideration

You can find more info here: http://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-discrete/xlamp-xp-e2

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »

I take it back, it's the specs for both the single and Tri-Cree.  Just heard back from US cust support so the specs I listed are for all main LEDs

Death Cyborg
Knight Ensign

Naughty Person

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:31:28 PM »

I take it back, it's the specs for both the single and Tri-Cree.  Just heard back from US cust support so the specs I listed are for all main LEDs
Thank you for the specs Infinit01! 285 Lm was exactly what I needed !
At 355 Lm, the light source I'm using is a lot brighter, but it gets ridiculously hot very quickly.  It melted several color gels in less than 10 seconds each. It looks like it need to find a cooling method if I want to run it full power for any length of time .  I love figuring stuff out ! Thank you all for the information!

Sabers Owned:
(__(((((__o_(((_]]                                                           
(__(((((__0_(((_]]                                                            

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 11:58:43 PM »

As far as melting filters, you can use a spacer. Cut a length of polycarbonate tube to go between the LED and the filter. But if you're melting in ten seconds, it sounds like it's just too hot to use anyway.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 12:32:17 AM »

I'm using thermal gel, the type used for CPU coolers, lately. I squeeze a generous amount on the LED pad before putting it on the heat sink. I figure if that can keep a CPU that gets a lot hotter than a LED relatively cool, it can keep my LEDs from getting ridiculously hot. Another thing is resistors. Adding a .5ohm 3W resistor to the rig, or one to each diode, will dissipate a good deal of heat, with only a miniscule sacrifice in brightness. After all, having a saber that's super bright but too hot to handle seems asinine.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 11:39:24 AM »

Thank you for the specs Infinit01! 285 Lm was exactly what I needed !
At 355 Pm, the light source I'm using is a lot brighter, but it gets ridiculously hot very quickly.  It melted several color gels in less than 10 seconds each. It looks like it need to find a cooling method if I want to run it full power for any length of time .  I love figuring stuff out ! Thank you all for the information!

You're welcome, Death Cyborg.  Glad that I can help

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: