Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: AMERICAN VS BRITISH COMEDY: Which is better?  (Read 2256 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: August 05, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »

A very interesting video essay.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tXuvzZKTI0&amp;feature=push-sd&amp;attr_tag=gwK6vVX4OuU8jGj2%3A6" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

DarkSideBlues
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -30

He always looks like he’s judging my posts....

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »

Overall, British comedy is infinitely better. We have a few bright spots, but the British win hands down.

You only live once?
WRONG.
You only die once.
You Live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you ALIVE and truly living, or just watching life go by you?

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »

I don't know if you can answer this. Comedy is very subjective.
I will say I enjoy more American Comedy with some of my favorites being George Carlin, Robin Williams and Ron White.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:22:15 AM »

Comedy is like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder.  In this case, it's in the ear of the beholder so everyone has their preference.  I personally like them both for different reasons, ones funnier on certain levels while the other, is funnier on a much different approach. 

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »

While I wouldn't say one is better than the other, I did find the comparison in the fundamental differences of approach between British comedy and American comedy very eye-opening; I had never considered the differences in that way before.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 11:48:08 AM »

I liked how the presenter wasn't trying to say which is better, just illustrate he differences and why that may be.  Even then you can get into types of comedy.  Can't speak for Britain but here in the US you have so many different types of humor to choose from.  Personally I am and old school Slap Stick kind of guy, what can I say.  I like seeing people hurt Tongue

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 08:51:14 PM »

I like seeing people hurt Tongue
Just for you, British comedy legends Rik Mayall and Ade Edmonson in their popular show from the 90s called "Bottom" (clips of the best ultra violence from the show)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGdCBNgrlug&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 12:01:06 AM »

Just for you, British comedy legends Rik Mayall and Ade Edmonson in their popular show from the 90s called "Bottom" (clips of the best ultra violence from the show)

! No longer available

Oh my sides hurt now.   Point

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 07:31:37 PM »

Oh my sides hurt now.   Point
Thought you might like that! Go onto Youtube and look for Bottom Live 2. It's fantastic, funny and the ultra violence is off the chain amazing.

Another clip for you from another British comedy legend, Rowan Atkinson, from his brilliant 80s series Blackadder. Features a very young Hugh Laurie (Dr Gregory House for our American viewers) and Stephen Fry.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsLSLMIX3P0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 10:32:36 AM »

Thought you might like that! Go onto Youtube and look for Bottom Live 2. It's fantastic, funny and the ultra violence is off the chain amazing.

Another clip for you from another British comedy legend, Rowan Atkinson, from his brilliant 80s series Blackadder. Features a very young Hugh Laurie (Dr Gregory House for our American viewers) and Stephen Fry.

! No longer available

Blackadder I am familiar with.  Been a while but if memory serves the whole premise across the series was that the Blackadders got "smarter" as time progressed but less in prominence.  I remember the bombastic Brian Blessed being in the first series.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »

Blackadder I am familiar with.  Been a while but if memory serves the whole premise across the series was that the Blackadders got "smarter" as time progressed but less in prominence.  I remember the bombastic Brian Blessed being in the first series.
He was stupid in the first series and Baldrick was actually the clever one! However series 2 onwards they changed it so Blackadder was the smart one. To be honest, in the UK whenever anyone speaks of Blackadder they always refer to series 2, 3 and 4. No-one really talks about series 1, even though it did have the legend that is Brian Blessed in it.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »

He was stupid in the first series and Baldrick was actually the clever one! However series 2 onwards they changed it so Blackadder was the smart one. To be honest, in the UK whenever anyone speaks of Blackadder they always refer to series 2, 3 and 4. No-one really talks about series 1, even though it did have the legend that is Brian Blessed in it.

Interesting.  Like I said it has been a while since I saw Blackadder.  My exposure to British comedy mostly came from weeknights on PBS.  They would play Are you being Served (still my favorite), Allo Allo, Keeping up with Appearances, Blackadder and Mr. Bean.  Then of course there was Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

and yes...Brian Blessed is Legend.  Have you seen Henry 8.0?   Its him playing Henry the VIII in Modern Times

Possible Offensive Language Ahead
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9GifnhcsQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 07:50:58 AM »

Interesting.  Like I said it has been a while since I saw Blackadder.  My exposure to British comedy mostly came from weeknights on PBS.  They would play Are you being Served (still my favorite), Allo Allo, Keeping up with Appearances, Blackadder and Mr. Bean.  Then of course there was Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

and yes...Brian Blessed is Legend.  Have you seen Henry 8.0?   Its him playing Henry the VIII in Modern Times
Genius!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: