Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: The Death of Superman  (Read 6850 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: August 10, 2018, 06:45:43 AM »

Has anyone else seen this movie?

It just came out on Blu-Ray and DVD a few days ago, but it's been out on digital since July 24. I picked it up last night at work. Anyway, I've been interested in it since I found out they were doing another adaptation of my favorite Superman comic event, though I also was a bit cautious. Not cautious enough to stop me from buying it, but then I'm a terrible impulse buyer, especially when it comes to DC animated movies. I actually have a steadily growing collection of them on Blu-Ray and DVD. My caution comes from the fact that WB (specifically: Warner Premier) has adapted this story line before, titled Superman: Doomsday, and it was a bit of a mess. In the last film, they crammed the whole death and return of Superman into one movie, and it's too much story for that. They took shortcuts and chopped it up. This time around, they appear to be doing things right.

The Death of Superman only focuses on the first part of the story, where Superman fights Doomsday. The story has been adapted to fit into the newer DC animated universe, so much of the first part gets you into the universe. There's a lot of character building before Doomsday even appears. I'm glad they did it this way, as opposed to how the comic just jumps into things, assuming you've read all of the previous comics. Aside from some modernization, they also changed the Justice League team that Doomdsay fights. In the comic, he fought the "Justice League America" team, made up of Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Fire, Ice, Maxima, Guy Gardner and Bloodwynd. (or, as I called them the first time I read it: Who?) In the film, we get a more familiar Justice League team made up of Wonder Woman, Batman, The Flash, (Barry Allen) Green Lantern, (Hal Jordan) Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman and Aquaman. And, of course, Superman is in it all. Of course, Superman winds up fighting Doomsday to the death, as he did in the comics. (not a spoiler, since it's the title of the film)

So, I think they did a really good job. The characters are dynamic, and they got an all star voice cast, led by husband and wife duo Jerry O'Connell and Rebecca Romijn as Clark/Superman and Lois. The animation was well done. I watched the special feature on the fight between Superman and Doomsday, and they went a far as to bring in fighting experts to make it realistic. It was really well done. A sequel, titled Reign of the Superman is due out early next year and I can't wait. Grin

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »

Right on.  I'll be looking for this...

I did hear of it before, but my attention was redirected...lol

I didn't follow the comics, but do own that issue.  It's stashed away safely - somewhere. Tongue

Good to know that it'd be familiar to me. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »

Well, the comics are available in graphic novel form. There are three volumes: The Death of Superman, World Without a Superman and The Return of Superman. In my opinion, it's one of the best story arcs they've ever done. It's also one of the few where they got all of Superman titles to work together. The Death of Superman even includes an issue of Justice League America. It was pretty massive, back in the early 1990s. I used to have all three volumes and I've read it through many times, but I don't have all of them anymore.

Aside from the paperback form, the whole story arc is available in four volumes for Amazon kindle devices. The Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, Reign of the Supermen and The Return of Superman. Oddly, they also have a fifth volume that takes place after the others listed as first. I don't know why that is. (morons, would be my guess)

There was also a novel published, The Death and Life of Superman, which is a bit of a condensed version of the story. (all the important stuff is in the novel) I have a well worn paperback copy.

Or, you know, just watch the movies. As I said, it's modernized, but it looks like they're pretty much doing the whole arc, or at least a condensed version. Honestly, some of the sub-plots for the characters in the Reign of the Superman arc get a bit long winded, I imagine the movie will trim it all down.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »

Well, the comics are available in graphic novel form. There are three volumes: The Death of Superman, World Without a Superman and The Return of Superman. In my opinion, it's one of the best story arcs they've ever done. It's also one of the few where they got all of Superman titles to work together. The Death of Superman even includes an issue of Justice League America. It was pretty massive, back in the early 1990s. I used to have all three volumes and I've read it through many times, but I don't have all of them anymore.

Aside from the paperback form, the whole story arc is available in four volumes for Amazon kindle devices. The Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, Reign of the Supermen and The Return of Superman. Oddly, they also have a fifth volume that takes place after the others listed as first. I don't know why that is. (morons, would be my guess)

There was also a novel published, The Death and Life of Superman, which is a bit of a condensed version of the story. (all the important stuff is in the novel) I have a well worn paperback copy.

Or, you know, just watch the movies. As I said, it's modernized, but it looks like they're pretty much doing the whole arc, or at least a condensed version. Honestly, some of the sub-plots for the characters in the Reign of the Superman arc get a bit long winded, I imagine the movie will trim it all down.

I do wonder how deep into the Reign of the Supermen they will get.  Since you know the story, basically I wonder if we will see Coast City

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »

I am picking this up on Tuesday when I pick up Infinity War.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »

I have not but remember when it first debut, I'm more of a Marvel guy but still dig into DC comics and movies.  My favorite DC series to date is the Injustice series, DOS is definitely my second favorite since it brings so many characters into the story line.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »

I have not but remember when it first debut, I'm more of a Marvel guy but still dig into DC comics and movies.  My favorite DC series to date is the Injustice series, DOS is definitely my second favorite since it brings so many characters into the story line.

You know an Injustice/Masters of the Universe crossover just started

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 04:38:33 PM »

Yes indeed!  Really excited!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 07:00:03 PM »

Yes indeed!  Really excited!

I hope that leads into a MOTU DLC for Injustice 2.  If you're gonna put Hellboy and the Ninja Turtles in it He-Man isn't a stretch

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 07:27:10 PM »

Interesting, going to have to check this out...

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »

I hope that leads into a MOTU DLC for Injustice 2.  If you're gonna put Hellboy and the Ninja Turtles in it He-Man isn't a stretch

I don't see why not, as long as they get the DCU working and learn from WW's success.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 09:46:17 PM »

I do wonder how deep into the Reign of the Supermen they will get.  Since you know the story, basically I wonder if we will see Coast City

They'd better do the Coast City thing. I'm looking forward to that.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 10:29:11 PM »

They'd better do the Coast City thing. I'm looking forward to that.

Count me in on that one

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 11:59:11 PM »

I've been thinking about watching this. I've heard it is amazing, and the random clips I see of it look pretty good. I have a whole list of animated DC movies that I need to watch still, so it might be a while, but I'm looking forward to it still.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »

Do yourself a favor and skip Batman: Ninja unless you're really into anime. Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: