Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Death of Superman  (Read 6894 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »

In truth, Superman is as powerful as the comic writers need him to be, and he keeps getting more powerful. There was apparently a comic where he "heard" the signal from Jimmy Olson's signal watch several light years away (which is impossible, but that's not the point) and arrived in minutes to help Jimmy. That's insanely fast, and likely faster than Flash can go. Though, it also depends on which Flash. Barry Allen generates the Speed Force that the others tap into, making him much more powerful and faster than the rest of the Flash family. Though, Wally West was responsible for "rebooting" the whole DC Universe at least once.

Superman is also so powerful that he can apparently hit something so hard that the blow will shatter whatever planet he's on at the time. That's one reason he holds back in fights, even against even other super powered beings. His own powers literally frighten him.

No, Magic doesn't kill him, it's just much harder for him to defend against or combat. It can also be used to incapacitate him. But, he has certainly taken down many beings with magic powers.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »

Many people mistake Superman being vulnerable to Magic as being the same as Kryptonite.  Of course it isn't.  Magic just negates his invulnerability, if he gets around a magicians spell he can still knock them across the park.  Kryptonite (green at least ;P) doesn't just zap his powers, but slowly kills him.  Just a distinction so many overlook.  Why I'm looking forward to the rematch of He-Man vs Superman in the injustice comics.   I once read an article years ago that talked about how technically...Superman is faster than the Flash.  I don't know how the science holds up but basically it boiled down to this.  An object weighing as much as the Flash weighs (about 195 for Barry Allen so we'll use that) would cause a lot of havoc on the environment around him moving at the speed he runs.  But the Speed Force acts as a buffer for that allowing him to move through the atmosphere with minimal affect.  Superman however does not have the buffer of the speed force and also weighs even more ( 235lbs is generally given).  If he truly moved at his top speed on earth he would cause massive damage (like Neo in the Matrix when he was rushing to save Trinity and was upturning cars and breaking windows), but in space he can move at his top speeds. Which haven't been measured.

In truth, Superman is as powerful as the comic writers need him to be, and he keeps getting more powerful. There was apparently a comic where he "heard" the signal from Jimmy Olson's signal watch several light years away (which is impossible, but that's not the point) and arrived in minutes to help Jimmy. That's insanely fast, and likely faster than Flash can go. Though, it also depends on which Flash. Barry Allen generates the Speed Force that the others tap into, making him much more powerful and faster than the rest of the Flash family. Though, Wally West was responsible for "rebooting" the whole DC Universe at least once.

Superman is also so powerful that he can apparently hit something so hard that the blow will shatter whatever planet he's on at the time. That's one reason he holds back in fights, even against even other super powered beings. His own powers literally frighten him.

No, Magic doesn't kill him, it's just much harder for him to defend against or combat. It can also be used to incapacitate him. But, he has certainly taken down many beings with magic powers.

I agree with both of you.  Superman holds back his true strength since he's so strong as you two have mentioned, that he can destroy entire worlds with just a punch.  I think the only time that he got close to using his full strength was when the Joker tricked him into killing Lois in the Injustice comics.   

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »

Well, he gave everything he got against Doomsday, but that was prior to the being able to destroy a planet thing. He got more powerful after he "died" and came back. I don't read the newer comics, but I've heard of some of the insane feats he's done in the past 25 years.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 04:08:21 PM »

Well, he gave everything he got against Doomsday, but that was prior to the being able to destroy a planet thing. He got more powerful after he "died" and came back. I don't read the newer comics, but I've heard of some of the insane feats he's done in the past 25 years.

Currently he isn't "planet destroying" powerful.  There was the whole New 52 crap which got then was fixed with Rebirth...currently its been reveled Krypton didn't just blow up...it was destroyed by someone.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »

Currently he isn't "planet destroying" powerful.  There was the whole New 52 crap which got then was fixed with Rebirth...currently its been reveled Krypton didn't just blow up...it was destroyed by someone.

And the plot thickens!  I do like how comic books both Marvel and DC revisit original stories and throw in a different path whether it's the main or a parallel universe.  Makes for better reading and infinite (pun intended) storytelling. 

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 06:26:48 PM »

And the plot thickens!  I do like how comic books both Marvel and DC revisit original stories and throw in a different path whether it's the main or a parallel universe.  Makes for better reading and infinite (pun intended) storytelling. 

Indeed.  Now Superman is no longer the Orphan of a Dead World, he's the Orphan of a Murdered World

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 02:19:47 AM »

But, if they do it in a film, people whine about it. It amazes me why that happens, when comics get rebooted every few years. DC has gone a bit off the rails in recent years with the reboots, though.

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 09:15:20 PM »

Just finished this movie, enjoyed it a lot and looking forward to the sequel.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »

But, if they do it in a film, people whine about it. It amazes me why that happens, when comics get rebooted every few years. DC has gone a bit off the rails in recent years with the reboots, though.

Yea, that's an understatement.  Now with The Watchmen being brought into the main Universe its going to get interesting 

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 12:30:58 AM »

Just finished this movie, enjoyed it a lot and looking forward to the sequel.

Sweet! I'm glad you enjoyed it too. One of my coworkers who is pretty much a human comic encyclopedia liked it too, which is saying a lot. He often doesn't like modern Sci-Fi films, especially comic films.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: