Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Why 14500 batteries?  (Read 1733 times)
Tenchi-Arizonia
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« on: August 12, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »

Over the course of having my saber (the Dominix V3 LE) a thought has occurred to me. Why use 14500 batteries instead of 18650 batteries?

Personally I think 18650's would be a superior choice of battery, a single 18650 in my experience outlasts the two 14500's a saber runs on in addition to taking up less space in the hilt. For those concerned about weight a saber running on a single 18650 would weigh less than one running on two 14500's. Originally I thought it was down to availability or cost, but it is a lot easier to find good quality 18650 batteries than it is to find 14500's and the difference in cost again seems to favor the 18650. So why 14500 batteries?

The light side is the way to go.

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »

Obsidian sound boards require 7.4v of juice, so you'd in fact need two 18650s, and that would be too large for a lot of hilts. Wink

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:29:10 PM »

What Rapine said, Larger battery size doesn’t necessarily more juice. It’s all about the output

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:21:31 PM »

The 18650 batteries last longer before needing recharged. That's the only advantage to their size. However, the disadvantage is exactly what Rapine said. Hilts like the Dominix LE V3 (and other V3 sabers) have very shallow electronics cavities. I just measured the cavity in my Dominix LE V3 and, to the end of the hilt, it's right on 4 inches long. Over 1/2 inch of that is threading. So, a little under 3.5 inches of usable space, then the inside of the hilt narrows. There's a choke point on the outside there, so it has to narrow. Two 18650s definitely won't fit. I recently did an install on a Prophecy V3, which has the same electronics cavity, and it was super tight getting just one 18650 in there for the sound board and chassis I was using. Two would have been out of the question. Meanwhile, the 14500s are AA size and two can fit in there quite nicely. Aside from being smaller batteries and, therefore, having shorter usable time before recharge, there's absolutely no disadvantage to the 14500 batteries. Their small size makes it easier to carry a charged set or two in your pocket if you're worried about running out of juice. Since US uses removable batteries, it's simple to swap them, even if you have a recharge port.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 11:18:26 PM »

Nicely detailed and understandable clear explanation SFD.

appreciation point  Cheesy

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:39:15 AM »

Typical 18650 battery holder is 3" x 13/16" x 5/8" (3/4" with battery installed). Obsidian card dimensions: 2-3/16 x 1" x 3/8".

If you note the last dimensions I stated here 3/4 & 3/8. If both are added together, it comes out to 1-1/8". Since US uses a 28mm speaker (with holder)for their sound cards, it's POSSIBLE, to use the larger 18650. But, since the battery can't drive the voltage needed, as stated by others, you would have to add a voltage booster to push the output to 7.4v.

Before I go any further; I had been looking at this for my own uses in making a plug in modular chassis system to make hot-swappable LED modules & battery chassis because I HATE, HATE, HATE the loose wires inside of hilts. I abandoned this project because I just could not make it work with my limited resources................and this was using 2 empty hilts: Aeon v4 & Initiate v4.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Tenchi-Arizonia
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »

Typical 18650 battery holder is 3" x 13/16" x 5/8" (3/4" with battery installed). Obsidian card dimensions: 2-3/16 x 1" x 3/8".

If you note the last dimensions I stated here 3/4 & 3/8. If both are added together, it comes out to 1-1/8". Since US uses a 28mm speaker (with holder)for their sound cards, it's POSSIBLE, to use the larger 18650. But, since the battery can't drive the voltage needed, as stated by others, you would have to add a voltage booster to push the output to 7.4v.

Before I go any further; I had been looking at this for my own uses in making a plug in modular chassis system to make hot-swappable LED modules & battery chassis because I HATE, HATE, HATE the loose wires inside of hilts. I abandoned this project because I just could not make it work with my limited resources................and this was using 2 empty hilts: Aeon v4 & Initiate v4.

Thanks for including the physical dimensions in your post, it certainly helped to add some perspective. It certainly makes sense when considered with the soundboard that US use the 14500 batteries, however like I said originally it is much easier to find good quality 18650 batteries even in the UK where I live. Since I've had my Dominix V3 LE I've been through five or six sets of 14500's two sets of which would never recharge and one set that never took a full charge. Where as my flashlight which honestly I've had as long as my saber and use way more than my saber is still on it's first set of 18650's one in it and one spare.

I certainly agree with you on the loose wires, they are somewhat of an irritation. Now I run my Dominix without the sound card as at the time I could not afford it, that said I think you might be onto something with the modular chassis idea.

The light side is the way to go.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »

Thanks for including the physical dimensions in your post, it certainly helped to add some perspective. It certainly makes sense when considered with the soundboard that US use the 14500 batteries, however like I said originally it is much easier to find good quality 18650 batteries even in the UK where I live. Since I've had my Dominix V3 LE I've been through five or six sets of 14500's two sets of which would never recharge and one set that never took a full charge. Where as my flashlight which honestly I've had as long as my saber and use way more than my saber is still on it's first set of 18650's one in it and one spare.

I certainly agree with you on the loose wires, they are somewhat of an irritation. Now I run my Dominix without the sound card as at the time I could not afford it, that said I think you might be onto something with the modular chassis idea.

Pm'd

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: