Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Newbie!!! Need help  (Read 2195 times)
Darthpasquin
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

Fear is my compass, it drives me forward.

« on: August 12, 2018, 11:45:22 PM »

Hey all!
I'm super excited about getting my first saber and this summer raffle extravaganza seems a perfect time to do it.  I am intimidated by all the options however and don't know too much about some of the differences.
Definitely going Menace, and probably getting 2 so I can make the double. It's all the sound and light internal parts that confuse and worry me...

I don't get the difference between emerald and diamond other than diamond Is somehow better/more pricey.  Because diamond gives you so many color option does that mean the colors are not as bright as single color blades?  I would love gesture effects like slash and clash but is diamond worth it if I only want 1 color? What about just getting a regular non emerald with premium sound. 

I don't feel like these are explained well enough for newbies like me 😥 I would love some help

I want to make it the best I can but do I need Diamond? I will mostly use the saber for cosplay and display/fun.
I'm thinking ultra edge mid grade blazing red, but what coupler should I grab? Is there a way to make the buttons/knobs line up when put together?

One passionate Sith.
Dark side points appreciated 🤓

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 12:21:13 AM »

Hey Darthpasquin, Welcome to the Forums.

I'll try to help out a little as I had many the same Questions when i was first looking to get a sabre, and recently got a Diamond one myself.

Basically there are two broad types of sabers stunt sabers with no Sound at all then sabers with Sound.

With Sabres with Sounds there are different Types

Saber with Basic Sound - has basic sound just like the name and uses 4AAA batteries, you choose only one colour for your sabre and perhaps a flash on clash - what that means is when your sabre hits something it flashes a different colour for a brief second or so e.g. a Gaurdian blue with Silver flash on clash is Blue 90% of the time but then when the sabre impacts something hard enough will flash white.  the Sound on these sabres is fixed to the regular Obsidian sound board -  this is a generic kind of lightsabre sound suite - there is a special sound when you switch it on (the snap-hiss, sounds for different swings, spinning, stabbing and clashing.

One thing to be clear on is all sabres with sound will automatically make sounds when you move and swing them etc. That was a concern and question i had as well and am happy to say they are built with motion sensors to make sounds as you swing no need to worry about having to program something yourself.

Although it is called 'basic sound personally i love this standard sound set it is a classic lightsabre sound.  

Sabres with Premium Sound (of which i own one) - are the next step up, the main difference to a sabre with light sound is - it is powered by different batteries rechargeable Li-on specifically but that is cool you get a charger with it when you order so you will have everything you need to recharge them, and the premiums sound v4 comes with additional sound fonts - that is different suites of sound to use in addition to the standard Obsidian sound e.g. Blackstar which has a more 'dark' sound, Ancient sabre with is more crackly.  You change sounds fonts by holding the button on for a few seconds so can always change back to original.

With premium sound you get one colour choice and can choose flash on clash as well as explained above.

Not fully up on Emerald but do have a diamond.

Diamond sabres - contain 4 lights, one of each standard colour - Red - Green -Blue - White - if your order say a regular Red sabre you just get one Light in it the Red, here you get all four together so no difference in brightness - The Diamond controller lets you combine these colours to make almost any colour imaginable - you hook up your sabre to your computer and use free software to program it BUT it comes pre-programmed with 8 different colours! so you already get straight out of he box a sabre that can turn green, blue, yellow, orange, red, aqua, violet and yor choice of colour when you order - each with a different sound option as per premium sound.  so Diamond is the ultimate in customizing if you want a sabre that can be any colour at all. Overall you can make up to 16 different colours on your sabre and change them on the fly -ie you just hold down the button make a gesture and you switch colour (don't worry you can't accidentally swap colors you have to perform certain gesture).

Hopefully this helps out a bit and is not too technical - there are a lot of options so i get where you are coming from.
But for a cosplay and just display and fun as you indicate if you are just after one color you don't need diamond. If you are happy with just a really cool standard sabre sound then Light or Premium is great - i would recommend premium obsidian v4 because you get rechargeable batteries and the sound options - even if you find you still prefer the standard sound as I do, its only an extra few dollars and you get the option there if you want it. Diamond is not 'better' so much as just different and give you more options, what is best is what suits your needs.

For a coupler I would say a flush coupler would be best the same colour as the sabre you intend to get, e.g silver flush coupler if you go for two silver Menace - but I'm sure others can help you more with their experiences on that topic, lining up buttons (I don't own a Menace myself) and Emerald details.

No doubt the other guys will soon help you out too with their advice - I would also recommend checking out some review videos on the forum and youtube so you can see emerald, diamond and standard sabres in action hear the sounds and see the colours. The Ultrasabers youtube page also has some videos explaingin what the diamond and emerald controllers are all about in more detail.

And you can always contact customer service, the have always been great to me.

info@ultrasabers.com

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darthpasquin
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 12:26:35 AM »

Hey Darthpasquin, Welcome to the Forums.

I'll try to help out a little as I had many the same Questions when i was first looking to get a sabre, and recently got a Diamond one myself.

Awesome this does help yes Smiley thank you for taking the time to reply with so much info.  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:45:33 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

One passionate Sith.

Xamon
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 01:05:01 AM »

He has given you a lot I will try to keep it simple. Stunts are explained sufficiently. Obsidian is as said sound and comes in lite, v3, and v4. I am foggy on the exact difference between 3 and 4 but 4 can be hooked to your computer to program custom sounds. Emerald is a light controller, that is it comes with the RGBW led setup and you hook it up to your computer to do colour mixing. Diamond is a single board that combines obsidian and emerald into one unit but with extras to really let you customise your saber as you can program combination light/sound effects.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 02:09:12 AM »

Hi.  Let me continue with more add ons.  It is a daunting task to try to figure everything out even for those that have multiple sabers but have not ordered for awhile.  It takes time and doing lots of exploring threads and watching YouTube videos.  A person rarely gets their order right... questions if the best decisions were made... tries not to have a mental break down.  Waiting that short period for your box to arrive is like time slowed down or stopped.  Wink

It would greatly help if you are clear on your absolute top range that you are comfortable spending as that will eliminate certain sabers and options... it adds up quickly.  You also need to know if you are wanting an all round saber that can be used for multiple purposes... spinning, dueling, cosplay, display, higher priced awesome flashlight, etc. or for a more specific purpose.  Wink

The likelihood of you purchasing more sabers in the future is high so don't try to get the motherload for your first go round.  If you want a saber with sound then you know that there are x3 tiers.  Obsidian v4 is the best as it has 7 different sound fonts and a mute option.  Many members just like the standard Obsidian sound font which goes well with both light and dark side sabers and will choose the v3.  If you want to put your funds towards a nicer saber... then the basic ObsLite sound board is ideal.  This version of the board cannot be changed or connected to the computer program.  Also x4 AAA batteries are used instead of the mandatory lithium ions ( Li-Ions ) for the remainder of the loaded or higher end saber options that also include the Emerald driver and Diamond Controller board.  

If getting x2 Menace sabers to make a staff you would need to get the flush adjustable coupler with sound vents to be able to line up the switches.  If you are mainly getting the sabers for cosplay and display... you don't need to go too fancy.  The mute option of the v4 may come in handy if at a convention.  Smiley

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:11:14 AM »

Welcome to the forum.
They've covered it fairly well.

Darthpasquin
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 02:21:53 AM »

Thanks all, got a bit more confidence now, wish I had more time to get to know other sabers before I went for my big goal one cause Halloween/LA comic con is coming 🤣 But I'm sure I'll get more in the future.  Spending quite a bit but it's a reward for getting my black belt in Krav Maga later this month! Extra motivation for passing my test too I feel I already bought the reward 😇. 

One passionate Sith.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 02:25:09 AM »

Congratulations upon your upcoming success.  Be sure to check out the Forum Saber Artistry and Combat sections.  Especially watch how Master Resolute uses the quick disconnect coupler to separate the two sabers while in motion.  Takes a bit of practice.  Smiley

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 05:02:17 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. They have covered it all pretty darn well. I'm new myself. I've got 7 sabers thus far. One stunt, one diamond controller and all the rest are lite sound. Personally, I find, I really like the light sound. It's the least expensive sound saber. It does all the things a saber should do.  Looks good and makes every noise you'd want in a saber. Maybe go that route with your 1st saber, see how you like it. You've got plenty of time to plan your next saber and maybe make a few changes. There will be more sabers, believe me.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 08:48:23 AM »

Hello and welcome Darthpasquin!

Others have already covered the subject better than I could've so I'm not going to try and add to it.
My first saber was a LITE sound and I found it awesome already. Though I could not change the sound fonts I was happy with what I got. I decided to use the little money I was saving by taking LITE instead of Premium towards getting Flash on Clash which in my opinion felt like a more desirable feature and I wasn't disappointed. Of course it all comes down to what YOU really want the saber to do.

Little personal advice if going for a double saber:
Unless you are a really big person you should beware of the total size of your saber. Mine is a Phantom V4 LE with 36" Blades (which means two Dominix V4 with 36" Blade coupled together). The thing is huge and even though I am 1,80m (slightly less than 5'11'' I believe) I have a hard time spinning it without hitting the floor so I probably should've gone for 32" Blades (which I'll probably order on future sabers so I can exchange the blades).

Congrats on your accomplishment and welcome to this addiction!  Grin

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 10:07:34 AM »

My fellow comrades did an excellent job at explaining all the interals of an Ultrasaber, so let me just say hello, welcome and excellent choice on picking up the Menace.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

DarkSideBlues
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -30

He always looks like he’s judging my posts....

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 11:46:10 AM »

Welcome to the party.

Let’s see, yeah, everything’s been covered.

Right, well, you’ve also already discovered that we’re a helpful forum and to feel free to ask any questions you may have. Also there’s a magnifying glass in the upper right that’s the search function to help find answers as well.

You only live once?
WRONG.
You only die once.
You Live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you ALIVE and truly living, or just watching life go by you?

Carrionlord
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -24

Darkside

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »

Welcome to the forum. I think the others covered just about everything.

“I will continue to study at your feet, Master. I will learn from your wisdom. I will discover your secrets, unlocking them one by one until everything you know—all your knowledge and all your power—is mine. And once you are no longer of use to me, I will destroy you.” - Darth Zannah to her Master, Darth Bane

Lord Raváge
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1453

Ki tsimsima tuti mazo Galactic, Nu qorit dudnims!

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 05:22:55 AM »

Labintias sulig tave Jen' Garthaz iv SoCal, bustas iv tave Tsis!!! Cool
(Greetings from the Dark Side of SoCal, domicile of the Sith)

Ilsir geuj ne fanvake narys stai su zo plethora iv neyasli varsi ir uverei. Dary nenx dvejoti kia uzpra jok falykas j'us galez zinot ir kaiefas valia cali ax sorms j'us is tave status direction.
(There are so many helpful members here with a plethora of varied experience and opinions. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have and someone will answer or point you in the right direction.)

Galez j'us buti wo su Akuyi, ir galez zhol buti wo su j'us noj satyi j'us duobé!
(May you be one with the Force, and may it be one with you while serving you well!)

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:51 PM »

Welcome Smiley Glad you've had your questions answered, but do feel free to ask if you have any more!

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: