Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Watching Star Wars in Episodic Sequence  (Read 6787 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »

I cant even count how many times I've watched every episode from ! through 6. I Probably watched 1 through 8 about five times.
Like Taegin and SFD said, Obi-Wan never "owned" any droids let alone R-2. and to be clear I'm just speaking about the films. As far as the discrepancies in saber combat between trilogies, Aside from the advances in film making and choreography, (trying to stick with story consistency)
In episodes 4 through 5, Vader and Obi-Wan are old, and Luke basically has no training. Every one in the prequels has mad training and recent combat experience including Dooku, and I assume Palpatine's extensive training and probable years of practice is why he's so skilled.
I believe Rey has had to fend for herself long enough, with or without a staff (I assume she picked a staff a long time ago due to it being just about the best weapon for anyone to pick up, and doubling as a great walking stick for the desert planet she was raised on), that she has probably been in the type of fight Finn watched her have defending BB-8 many times. I mean, look at the way she handles herself. Which is why I personally except her instantly having a good degree of skill with a saber. I really hope they give her a saber staff. It just makes so much sense.
As far as Kylo's saber skill, I could easily be wrong here, but I have always viewed a lightsaber as something that has a gyroscopic feel to it, and his saber being so unstable probably makes it very difficult to wield. I view this as a sign of his stubbornness and a limiting of his potential skill, therefore explaining his inability to truly wreck Rey. He's also somewhat privileged compared to Rey in my opinion. I'm not aware of a time when he had to fight for his life with a mere staff. He is the child of a princess and his uncle is Luke frickin' Skywalker! I believe he thought himself to be tougher than some random scavenger. Bad mistake that I've seen in real life time and time again.       
I don't usually ramble this long about this stuff, so thanks for listening.
And every one in this topic gets a point  for making good points and not crapping on Episode 7 or 8. I've watched episode 8 about 30 times and due to recently loosing all other episodes, Angry I think I'm about to watch it again. I'll let you all know if this is the time I decide i hate it. Smiley
Thanks.

So true and really good points.  Adding to Kylo's unstable lightsaber, if you look closely at his version of how his uncle tried to kill him, you will see his lightsaber before it became a crossguard.  The crystal was damaged but he wanted to keep it more than likely reminding him of how his uncle, who is a Grand Master of the Jedi, tried to kill him.  While keeping the unstable crystal, he had to add lateral vents to divert the extra heat produced by the crystal to both sides of the hilt.  

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 12:26:14 PM »

So true and really good points.  Adding to Kylo's unstable lightsaber, if you look closely at his version of how his uncle tried to kill him, you will see his lightsaber before it became a crossguard.  The crystal was damaged but he wanted to keep it more than likely reminding him of how his uncle, who is a Grand Master of the Jedi, tried to kill him.  While keeping the unstable crystal, he had to add lateral vents to divert the extra heat produced by the crystal to both sides of the hilt.  

I hadn't noticed that. Points for opening my eyes!

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »

Well. That is the first time i ever heard that. That makes SO much more sense than just deciding to turn it into a cross guard saber.
I noticed that it was the same saber but that's really cool to know there was a practical reason that he changed it. Where did you get this info?

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »

Through fandom wikis and years of reading SW comics and books. The Crossguard is an ancient weapon dated back to the Great Scourge of Malachor which was thousands of years before the Galactic Civil War

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Scourge_of_Malachor

Now, unlike the ancient Crossguards that were designed to emit the lateral blades, Kylo's crossguard was based on his original saber that had a damaged crytal.  Now, this is speculation only until it's proven but the two most popular theories of how the crystal was damaged is:

1. The crystal cracked during the bout with his uncle when he was awaken with his uncle looming over him with his lightsaber ignite and he force grabbed his to defend himself and brought the roof down to escape.

2. The crystal is cracked due to his conflict within himself between light and dark which caused the crystal to crack

Now, if you remembered, his original one was damaged in TFW and in TLJ, he has a new shinier one without all the component nor red wire sticking out.  This one was built as a Crossguard instead of his first that resembled one due to a cracked crystal.   See: https://screenrant.com/kylo-ren-lightsaber-trivia-facts-star-wars-crossguard/

Also:

https://screenrant.com/kylo-ren-lightsaber-trivia-facts-star-wars-crossguard/

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kylo_Ren%27s_lightsaber

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »

Through fandom wikis and years of reading SW comics and books. The Crossguard is an ancient weapon dated back to the Great Scourge of Malachor which was thousands of years before the Galactic Civil War

Now, unlike the ancient Crossguards that were designed to emit the lateral blades, Kylo's crossguard was based on his original saber that had a damaged crytal.  Now, this is speculation only until it's proven but the two most popular theories of how the crystal was damaged is:

1. The crystal cracked during the bout with his uncle when he was awaken with his uncle looming over him with his lightsaber ignite and he force grabbed his to defend himself and brought the roof down to escape.

2. The crystal is cracked due to his conflict within himself between light and dark which caused the crystal to crack

Now, if you remembered, his original one was damaged in TFW and in TLJ, he has a new shinier one without all the component nor red wire sticking out.  This one was built as a Crossguard instead of his first that resembled one due to a cracked crystal.   See: https://screenrant.com/kylo-ren-lightsaber-trivia-facts-star-wars-crossguard/

Also:

An interesting thing to note is how Red Crystals are made in the new Canon.  The Sith way was to take a Crystal from a Jedi and "bleed" it...force it to the Sith's whim.  This process made the crystal turn Red thus why it was called bleeding.  But, as far as we know, Kylo did not take a crystal from another Jedi...he bled his own.  Thus the cracking from his conflict holds in that regard.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 02:11:53 PM »

I hadn't noticed that. Points for opening my eyes!

I was curious when I first saw his saber in the flashback.  After owning the movie, I froze the frame and zoomed in, sure enough, it was his saber before he turned it to a CrossGuard. Have a point back.

An interesting thing to note is how Red Crystals are made in the new Canon.  The Sith way was to take a Crystal from a Jedi and "bleed" it...force it to the Sith's whim.  This process made the crystal turn Red thus why it was called bleeding.  But, as far as we know, Kylo did not take a crystal from another Jedi...he bled his own.  Thus the cracking from his conflict holds in that regard.

Exactly

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 02:28:32 PM »

Also:

Are you sure his saber doesn't still have the red wire in TLJ? I remember it being there but I could be wrong. Also when would he have made a new one? There is literally like 5 minutes between TFA and TLJ.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »

Are you sure his saber doesn't still have the red wire in TLJ? I remember it being there but I could be wrong. Also when would he have made a new one? There is literally like 5 minutes between TFA and TLJ.

I'll have to check on the red wire thing but got to remember, between the fight on Starkiller and the end of TFA was at least a few days, a week at most.  If he had the components at hand it wouldn't have taken long at all to make a new saber.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 03:01:05 PM »

You're right, I might of looked at it from a weird view and didn't see it at first so it looks to be the same one just repaired and all black looking.

[img]http://media.comicbook.com/2017/10/star-wars-8-kylo-ren-new-lightsaber-1036557.jpg[img]

I'll have to check on the red wire thing but got to remember, between the fight on Starkiller and the end of TFA was at least a few days, a week at most.  If he had the components at hand it wouldn't have taken long at all to make a new saber.

It's there, hard to tell with the red background but it's there so it's the same saber just repaired and looks all black other than the side vents.

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »

I guess your right. I never really noticed any time passed at all between SKB and Ahch-To. 

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 04:12:32 PM »

I guess your right. I never really noticed any time passed at all between SKB and Ahch-To. 

It wasn't shown, but I doubt Rey left just a few hours after reaching the resistance base.  The time in between just wasn't shown.

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 11:14:37 PM »

I agree with sci-fi that lightsabers were not the most stable or easiest things to wield. That also seems to vary between the first and second trilogy in terms of the Jedi being in constant practice because some of the sabers just look like they’re put together better.  The artistry of those elegant weapons could easily have been lost to time since the Jedi are mostly gone by the time Luke hits the scene.

Obi Wan’s saber is looking a bit weathered.  Vader’s must have aged as well.  I do find Vader to be the hardest to swallow in terms of suspending my disbelief because he’s the one who is still using the force regularly. Has he used his saber less? Probably. It still doesn’t completely wash with me.  I accept it for what it is because the first trilogy was done during a different time and they were making so many things up and setting standards for things to come—and at that point, who knew if the movies would stand the test of time? So I give huge credit for the people who put work into a project like that.  Even though there are inconsistencies, I think it’s all makings for some interesting speculation.

I do have some questions for the saber experts here.

The Sith have primarily red blades, but the Jedi have several colors. I never quite came to terms as to whether this was supposed to be a type of ranking system, a Kyberlight crystal color, or something to do with the emotional connection with the force—like an aura color.

One thing that was cleared up for me after watching ROTJ last night was about Luke’s second lightsaber—the one that looks so much like Obi Wan’s from ANH.  I’ve read a lot about it being the same sabe, but couldn’t figure if there was any explanation how Luke would’ve gotten the saber since they left the ship right after Vader struck Obi Wan. But in ROTJ, Vader mentions Luke’s saber being his own construction, possible modeled after Obi Wan’s for various reasons

One of the books has a scene that takes place right after Luke built it and he’s at Obi Wan’s house, so possible built from spare parts Obi Wan had.  The scen also has Luke going outside when he first powers the saber up because he fear blowing up the house if he constructed it poorly. This brings us back full circle to the fact the sabers were a bit unwieldy, even dangerous if their construction was damaged.

This supports Kylo need to make vents so the excess energy has some place to go.  Because if it blows up, we have at least one reference stating the explosion could at the very least take out a small house.

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 03:06:10 AM »

I think this is the first still I've seen from this scene, but the first thing I noticed here was not the saber (I saw that in the movie), but rather the fact that Luke's compass thing is sitting on Ben's desk. This makes me think that it did not actually contain the map to Ahch-To, but is something else. If it was the map, then Kylo wouldn't have needed to find the piece that Lor San-Tekka had. Either that, or Ben hadn't figured out how to unlock it yet.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 03:25:29 AM »

I think this is the first still I've seen from this scene, but the first thing I noticed here was not the saber (I saw that in the movie), but rather the fact that Luke's compass thing is sitting on Ben's desk. This makes me think that it did not actually contain the map to Ahch-To, but is something else. If it was the map, then Kylo wouldn't have needed to find the piece that Lor San-Tekka had. Either that, or Ben hadn't figured out how to unlock it yet.

Good catch Taegin!

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 04:45:51 AM »

Good eye, Teagin  Smiley

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: