Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bags versus Mystery Box  (Read 6805 times)
brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« on: August 18, 2018, 08:48:04 AM »

Been a while since I posted.  I was thinking about just grabbing a pommel at the Ultrasabers booth at Fandemic next month(just happened to be vacationing in Houston and Galveston at the time), but considering they are $30 up for the most part, I am thinking about getting a second saber as either a mystery box or grab bag instead.  Not too overly worried about sound, since I can always add that myself.  My first Ultrasaber was a grab bag, a GB Dominix LE V4.  Would you recommend I just order another grab bag, or do you think I am better off with picking up a $75 mystery box at the show?  Color isn't that important to me this time.  I don't expect to get the two newest hilts(though I wouldn't complain if I ended up with either, though highly unlikely, or an older hilt with a Dornian pommel), so definitely managing expectations either way.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 11:47:08 AM »

The biggest advantages to the Mystery Boxes are that you have a chance to get sound and they have a guarantee that it will cost at least as much as the box. I've seen people get Grab Bags for $70 and get a $65 saber in them. That's one thing to be cautious of. On the flip side, I've seen a few people score a really expensive hilt with Obsidian and Emerald in a $75 Mystery Box. However, many are stunts, a lot seem to be in the $90 range, so still a good deal.

One advantage (to me) is being able to order Grab Bags without blades. I did that once and scored an Aeon V3 and a Dark Sentinel V4, each with an AV switch, for $55.

So, it all depends what you want. I've considered doing the Mystery Box thing myself, but I usually wind up finding something cool I want on sale and ordering an empty, or a stunt that I can always upgrade later if I want to.

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 03:27:56 PM »

As scifidude said, the big advantage to the Mystery Boxes is the chance to get something way more valuable than what you paid for it.

Most Grab Bags seem to be Sentinel and lower hilts, while the Mystery Boxes seem to be Sentinel and up hilts (of course there are exceptions to both of these, but they are the 5-10% minority). So it depends on what target range of hilts you’re looking for.

They have been known to mix and match pommels on the Mystery Boxes as well.

You know you won’t get sound with a Grab Bag, but you do have that chance with the Mystery Boxes. But as you said, you can always add sound later. And I personally don’t like the Obsidian Lite, which is what most of the $75 Mystery Boxes that have sound come with (I like to be able to adjust the volume).

Personally, I say Mystery Box, due to the chance to get a “higher” end saber. If you completely don’t care about the hilt, then Grab Bag, just for the lower cost.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 05:47:36 PM »

Mystery Box all the way, the reason I would do a GB is to get a something I want to experiment on. Go for the MB, you usually get 2 sometimes 3 of either A/V, a +$5 color, Covertec, windows, or a pommel swap. And a small chance for sound. Can't go wrong.

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 08:32:39 PM »

I'd definitely be going for a mystery box if I was choosing between the two. I've gone for both at different times, and it does seem that you get the better (in my personal opinion!) hilts with a mystery box. But then, you probably won't get an Aeon/Dominix v2 in a mystery box, and those are darn fine 'sabres... Cheesy

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 10:00:23 PM »

You also can't choose your blade length with a Grab Bag. My first saber ever from Ultrasabers was a Grab Bag, and I didn't know what I was doing, so I ordered a 36-inch heavy grade blade, think it would be better to hit stuff. It wound up being an Initiate LE V4, and that was too much blade for that saber. But, such is life. I still love Grab Bags. Smiley Later, I separately ordered a 24-inch Grab Bag blade for a few dollars, and that solved the too much blade issue.

But then, you probably won't get an Aeon/Dominix v2 in a mystery box, and those are darn fine 'sabres... Cheesy

Yeah, those were the $65 sabers I was talking about. Nothing wrong with them, they're great sabers.

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »

You also can't choose your blade length with a Grab Bag. My first saber ever from Ultrasabers was a Grab Bag, and I didn't know what I was doing, so I ordered a 36-inch heavy grade blade, think it would be better to hit stuff. It wound up being an Initiate LE V4, and that was too much blade for that saber. But, such is life. I still love Grab Bags. Smiley Later, I separately ordered a 24-inch Grab Bag blade for a few dollars, and that solved the too much blade issue.

Yeah, those were the $65 sabers I was talking about. Nothing wrong with them, they're great sabers.

You can actually choose your blade size with a grab bag.  You just have to make a note of what you want or write to them.  I got a GB Dominix LE V4 Windowed Emitter with Black AV for my first grab bag and requested a 32" blade by email.  They were happy to make the switch.  I wish I had asked for a 30" as the blade is just a little long for my apartment with ceiling fans.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 10:42:57 PM »

Yeah, I didn't even think about requesting a different blade length in the order notes. I don't know if they'll do 30", since that's not a standard blade length for them. But, it never hurts to ask. The one time I did order Grab Bags without blades, they were having a 50% off Grab Bag blade sale, so I ordered a couple blades separately. I scored a couple sweet 32-inch heavy grade blades.  Cool

I wish I had asked for a 30" as the blade is just a little long for my apartment with ceiling fans.

I can relate to that one. I'm 6'3" and have lower ceilings. I also apparently have the toughest light globe in the world, as it's taken repeated hits from heavy grade blades while spinning. Wink

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 10:50:21 PM »

I’d go with a Mystery box over a grab bag since mystery boxes gives you a chance for a saber with sound while a grab bags are stunt sabers only.  Plus, you can select the blade length or LED color of your choice with a Mystery box.  Best bang for your buck and it’s only $5.00 more than the grab bag.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 02:29:41 AM »

Agree with everyone else. Mystery box.

If you know you want a particular hilt and set up though, but don't have the cash atm, then I would suggest waiting to get exactly what you want.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

UberDave
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 03:01:01 AM »

It's a toss up.  The nice thing about grab bags is that you can get a free upgrade to a heavy grade blade and you can save 10% with the sale (mystery boxes aren't valid for sale).  So you can save  $12-$22 on a grab bag saber depending on if you want the heavy grade blade. I have recently ordered 6 grab bag sabers and I got:

-Aeon V4 orange ($70)
-Aeon V2 orange ($65)
-Aeon V2 LE Arctic blue w/ AV switch ($90)
-Dark Apprentice V4 in Blue w/ windows ($70)
-Dominix V4 in Green w/ AV Switch & Windows ($90)
-Dominix V4 in Green ($70)

I got these all with heavy grade blades, so these all have a value that is $10 more than I listed.  I haven't gotten any mystery boxes, but it sounds like you will likely get something similar to the $90 sabers that I received, but there's a chance you could get something better.

So basically, if you want a heavy grade blade and want to save a bit of money, get a grab bag with the sale.  If you dont want a heavy grade and/or dont mind spending a bit more for the chance at something great, get a mystery box.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 03:47:49 AM »

Good point about the sales applying to Grab Bags. I forgot about that. Smiley

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »

I personally would not buy a GB ever, since my options are potential sound or higher sabers that I would like. I love that option of recieving a higher tier saber that costs $5.00 more. With that said, I still purchase $75.00 and $200.00 Myster Boxes dependent on what my goals and plans for my next sabers are.  Ultimately, I’ll just build and order a saber in acoordance to my specs for it if I want a saber fully loaded and not wanting to mess with anything other that the aesthetics.

These are my levels of saber purchases:

1. Stunt sabers from MB - sabers that I’ll add electronics to my liking either from US or the other guys. This is a saber that I’ll fully customize so a $75.0 MB is fine

2. $200.00 MB saner - saber that I’m fine with the electronics whether it’s the lite or premium sound. This saner, I may change out the LED, add an LED driver such as the Emerald, and work on its aesthetics to make it more of my own

3. Build to order - Building the saber to my specs since to me, the saber is already perfect and I may or may not change the aesthetics on it. The saber’s design inside and out is timeless to me so I may or may not work on it but it’ll be part of my collection, regardless

Everyone’s different and have their own tastes, but this is mine and how my mind works.

There isn’t a wrong way to go about it, if you want a grab bag saber for one order and then decided upon an MB, so be it. At the end of the day, Despite our opinions on the matter, we’re not you and likewise which isn’t a bad thing since our tastes are different and we’re different people. My way works for me and me alone but everyone else are entirely different. 

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 10:32:55 PM »

I personally would not buy a GB ever, since my options are potential sound or higher sabers that I would like. I love that option of recieving a higher tier saber that costs $5.00 more. With that said, I still purchase $75.00 and $200.00 Myster Boxes dependent on what my goals and plans for my next sabers are.  Ultimately, I’ll just build and order a saber in acoordance to my specs for it if I want a saber fully loaded and not wanting to mess with anything other that the aesthetics.

These are my levels of saber purchases:

1. Stunt sabers from MB - sabers that I’ll add electronics to my liking either from US or the other guys. This is a saber that I’ll fully customize so a $75.0 MB is fine

2. $200.00 MB saner - saber that I’m fine with the electronics whether it’s the lite or premium sound. This saner, I may change out the LED, add an LED driver such as the Emerald, and work on its aesthetics to make it more of my own

3. Build to order - Building the saber to my specs since to me, the saber is already perfect and I may or may not change the aesthetics on it. The saber’s design inside and out is timeless to me so I may or may not work on it but it’ll be part of my collection, regardless

Everyone’s different and have their own tastes, but this is mine and how my mind works.

There isn’t a wrong way to go about it, if you want a grab bag saber for one order and then decided upon an MB, so be it. At the end of the day, Despite our opinions on the matter, we’re not you and likewise which isn’t a bad thing since our tastes are different and we’re different people. My way works for me and me alone but everyone else are entirely different. 

My first saber was a Grab Bag, which seemed to retail around $90, so not bad for a first.  That was before the Mystery Boxes were available online though.  At this time though, I will be able to pick up a MB in Houston at Fandemic Tour(for anyone interested, Groupon has $19 tickets for Friday and Sunday, as well as a two day ticket for a bit more)  next month, or order online, either way.

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »

Agree with everyone else. Mystery box.

If you know you want a particular hilt and set up though, but don't have the cash atm, then I would suggest waiting to get exactly what you want.

Don't have a particular setup in mind.  Worst case scenario, I part it out to other projects(making sabers for a friend and her kid), so not bad either way.  The only specific items I want right now are the Dorinian pommel(which is possible in the mystery boxes though so are other pommels that are very nice options) and an empty Spectre hilt(for the emitter mainly.....want to put this on top of a copper body eventually).  I don't mind that it is a bit of a gamble since I am not looking for anything specific.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: