Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bags versus Mystery Box  (Read 6857 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 10:46:28 PM »

My first saber was a Grab Bag, which seemed to retail around $90, so not bad for a first.  That was before the Mystery Boxes were available online though.  At this time though, I will be able to pick up a MB in Houston at Fandemic Tour(for anyone interested, Groupon has $19 tickets for Friday and Sunday, as well as a two day ticket for a bit more)  next month, or order online, either way.

In that case, for $5.00 more, you can have a chance to get a saber with sound. 

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 01:30:33 AM »

The overall feeling seems to be that Mystery Boxes are better. However, there are some advantages of Grab Bags that people overlook:

1. Price. Despite listing at $70, you can choose to nix the blade and it's only $55.

2. Grab Bags also qualify for sales, Mystery Bobes don't. With the current 10% sale, you can get a totally random saber with a blade for $63.

3. No extra charge for heavy grade blades.

4. Customization. Say you haven't picked a hilt but you know it has to have a green blade. You can do that. You can also guarantee getting a Covertec with a Grab Bag.

So, there are advantages to the Grab Bag that make them a good buy, for certain people. It just boils down to how important sound is to you. My second Grab Bag was one where I specifically ordered a green LED and a Covertec. I got a gorgeous Aeon LE V4 that's still one of my favorite sabers. It was the first saber I installed sound on.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 01:55:09 AM »

Scifidude is right, you can chose the color of the LED, add a covertec and it still qualifies for sales so one would have to decide what they prefer, being able to choose color, add covertec wheel, heavy grade blades, qualify for sale or have the options of sound up to Diamond saber.

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »

The overall feeling seems to be that Mystery Boxes are better. However, there are some advantages of Grab Bags that people overlook:

1. Price. Despite listing at $70, you can choose to nix the blade and it's only $55.

2. Grab Bags also qualify for sales, Mystery Bobes don't. With the current 10% sale, you can get a totally random saber with a blade for $63.

3. No extra charge for heavy grade blades.

4. Customization. Say you haven't picked a hilt but you know it has to have a green blade. You can do that. You can also guarantee getting a Covertec with a Grab Bag.

So, there are advantages to the Grab Bag that make them a good buy, for certain people. It just boils down to how important sound is to you. My second Grab Bag was one where I specifically ordered a green LED and a Covertec. I got a gorgeous Aeon LE V4 that's still one of my favorite sabers. It was the first saber I installed sound on.

I have the Dominix LE V4, so the Dark Side version, with a Guardian Blue color.  Has windows, black AV switch, no Covertec.  Just did a build of what I have and it came out to $100 even.  Not particular on color or sound this time, but it would be nice to have a shot at a premium hilt.  Just looking for that perfect feel for me before I start building my own(planning to get the emitter and pommel from Ultrasabers and the body from that other MHS shop(in copper)).  I see the mystery boxes and grab bags as good ways to test options out when you aren't sure.  That said, I would love to get an orange, yellow, violet, or sunrider's destiny, but I can always swap out LEDs.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 642

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »

In my most recent purchase I got a mystery and a grab bag. I chose no blade, and used the 10% off and got the grab for $50. I have extra blades, and I ordered two initate grab blades on that order as well. The hilt I received was every bit as nice as the mystery box. I really do like the chance for sound, but I have never received a mystery with sound, and I’ve bought four. It actually seems to me like you have a better chance at a nicer overall hilt with a grab bag. Just my .02.

“Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever...”

AS

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »

I've said this before, if you want a specific saber, or even just a higher end one, you're better off just ordering that saber. If you can't afford it, save up for it. If you keep ordering Mystery Boxes hoping for a higher end hilt, you're on the road to likely disappointment. Obviously, the odds aren't that great you're going to get a higher end hilt, or one with sound with the $75 boxes. Even bumping it up to $200 isn't going to guarantee a more expensive saber, just that you'll have sound. And, by the time you order 3 $75 Mystery Boxes, you've spent enough to own practically any Ultrasaber in stunt configuration, because there are only a handful with a base price of more than $225. As for Grab Bags, you can potentially get any saber in the Ultrasabers arsenal in one, but I've personally never seen one higher than a Prophecy. That's the most expensive Grab Bag I've ever seen posted on this forum. I hear they used to have some more expensive hilts, and even snuck in a few sound Grab Bags back in the early days, but it's mainly been less expensive sabers and they've all been stunts (that I've seen) in the 2+ years I've been ordering here. That's not a bad thing, just a simple fact.

So, save your money and buy what you really want. Or, be prepared to keep being disappointed. It's your call.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »

I personally think that if you buy a grab bag or mystery box saber and are disappointed in what you receive, you should build a saber yourself to your liking.  If you buy them and are happy with the results, then by all means, keep buying them.  They shouldn't be your constant go to if you want a specific hilt, they're more so if you don't care what you'll receive, have no idea what you want, or a newb to US. 

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »

I’ve never been dissatisfied with anything I’ve received from US. My only expectation is for a quality product, which is what I’ve recieved every time. In my humble opinion I believe the mystery box, as well as the grab bag options are an incredible value. Part of what your paying for is the rush of the gamble, the mystery of the potential for greatness. But that doesn’t mean a stunt isn’t greatness. All of my sabers are superior grade, and beautiful. In my case I’ve received a different hilt every time. That’s bad if your hoping to build a staff, but good if you want to experience a plethora of hilt styles, and have an extensive collection. To my knowledge there are NO OTHER MAKERS offering this at such an exceptional value. I truly live my sabers from Ultrasabers!!

AS

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 10:25:54 PM »

I’ve never been dissatisfied with anything I’ve received from US.

I have, but not in a Grab Bag. Wink But, I've mostly gotten great stuff from US.

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »

I’ve never been dissatisfied with anything I’ve received from US. My only expectation is for a quality product, which is what I’ve recieved every time. In my humble opinion I believe the mystery box, as well as the grab bag options are an incredible value. Part of what your paying for is the rush of the gamble, the mystery of the potential for greatness. But that doesn’t mean a stunt isn’t greatness. All of my sabers are superior grade, and beautiful. In my case I’ve received a different hilt every time. That’s bad if your hoping to build a staff, but good if you want to experience a plethora of hilt styles, and have an extensive collection. To my knowledge there are NO OTHER MAKERS offering this at such an exceptional value. I truly live my sabers from Ultrasabers!!

I only know of one other company that does a Mystery Box, and those are far more expensive.  At this time, I don't really have that many specific hilts I am looking for, and am really trying to get a feel for other options.  However, I do know that I will be picking up a Butcher(Lord Revan is a long time favorite character of mine) empty later this year, one of my few must have hilts, the others being the Spectre(which I plan to use to build two sabers out of) and the Ahsoka Tano pair.  Typically I will buy empties and do my own builds when I am looking for something specific, but right now.  As I mentioned before, I may pick up the Mystery Box at Fandemic in a couple weeks.

imgumby001dammit
Knight Commander

The Mighty, Mighty GUM

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 02:34:49 AM »

One of the many problems of living in the middle of nowhere- no cons EVER! Although, I could just fly home for all the biggest and best ones. But, then I’d have to explain to my family why their 41 yo brother/son/cousin/dad has flown all the way there the dress up like a movie character and buy toys. I may actually do it though.

AS

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 02:58:31 AM »

One of the many problems of living in the middle of nowhere- no cons EVER! Although, I could just fly home for all the biggest and best ones. But, then I’d have to explain to my family why their 41 yo brother/son/cousin/dad has flown all the way there the dress up like a movie character and buy toys. I may actually do it though.
Go for it

brad81380
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 06:11:42 AM »

I ended up having to cancel my travel plans last minute, but I get where you are coming from.  I only get to do this stuff when on vacation, though technically, I have a good excuse to dress up as movie characters if I wanted.....that being I am also an actor, so it's more normal for me to be in costume than the average person.  In any case, ultimately decided to throw a mystery box in with an order with a Butcher empty hilt and maybe something else.  Have a few design ideas I am working on lately, and you never know when a Mystery Box may be useful in another build or give you something unexpected.

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »

and you never know when a Mystery Box may be useful in another build or give you something unexpected.

That's the whole point of the Mystery Boxes in my opinion. The unexpected can be so thrilling sometimes. First summer raffle I ordered a Mystery Box and won a Grab Bag so I had two sabers coming my way and the only thing I knew was that one of them would have sound and the other one wouldn't...I was on full Christmas Eve expectation mode  Grin

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 11:30:29 AM »

I agree with Crue, the fun of mystery boxes is that you don't know what you'll get. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: