Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Upgrading obsidian sound boards  (Read 1613 times)
Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 50

Use your moments of weakness to find your power.

« on: August 18, 2018, 08:04:39 PM »

I apologize in advance if this is already a topic somewhere. I'm new to the site and did try looking to see if I could find an answer but it didn't seem to be answered that I saw.

I just bought a Graflex CE off a friend. It was given to them by an ex as a gift so they actually don't know a lot about the construction. It has appears to have an obsidian board, although I'm not sure of the version. And the blade was lost so I ordered one here. Is there a way to upgrade the sound board to either an Emerald or Diamond later? I've been reading about the customization options on here but whether you can add high-grade sound and LED options isn't clear to me.

I would've just ordered one of these from the site but it's rather expensive and I couldn't pass up the price my friend sold this to me. It's my first saber so I'm really excited. Any info on what can be upgraded and costs if anyone has personal experience with this would be great. Thanks y'all.

Bruh, this isn't even my final form.

(I like my force like I like my checkbook...balanced)

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 10:08:44 PM »

The easiest way to tell what sound board is with a few simple tests. First, look at the battery setup. If it's 4 AAA batteries, it's Obsidian Lite. If it's two AA looking batteries, those are Li-Ion batteries. If it has the Li-Ion batteries, with the saber turned off, hold your switch down. If it does nothing, you have Obsidian V3. If it cycles fonts when you hold the button down, then it's Obsidian V4.

The Emerald board isn't a sound board, it's a color change board. It can be used with the Obsidian V3/4, or by itself. Diamond combines the Obsidian and Emerald functions, as well as adding more fonts and a lot more features. Of the boards Ultrasabers offers, only the Obsidian V3/4 are sold in the store, under "Build your own." If you want to (attempt to) buy an Emerald or a Diamond board, you'll need to e-mail support and ask if they're willing to sell you one.

As for DIY upgrades, the sky is the limit as far as what you can do. You can certainly change boards, change LEDs, whatever you want to do.

Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:18:14 PM »

Thanks. Yeah sorry I realized the Emerald was a LED feature afterward but was still interested in seeing if it's upgradable. Basically I just wanted to see if upgrades were even possible. Digging around the forums I haven't seen anyone yet say they bought a Diamond board. My guess is US doesn't sell them separately. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

I don't mind DIYing, but admittedly I've never worked on anything this expensive and am scared to fry something. I got this at a good enough deal maybe spending the money isn't that bad. Is it possible to send it in to US for upgrades also? I saw a few people suggest that as well.

Thanks! (And thanks for the info on how to test for which version!)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:23:42 PM »

Is it possible to send it in to US for upgrades also? I saw a few people suggest that as well.

It sure is. Just e-mail them about price quotes and whatnot. If you're weary of frying something, (nothing wrong with that) then definitely see about having them do it.

Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:26:18 AM »

Turns out if anyone is interested, as of now it's $240 for a 4-channel Emerald Driver, $285 to upgrade the diamond board, $50 for them to even open it up and put it back together, plus whatever the price listed under the options for any saber for additional features (i.e. recharge port 1.2 is $85 as if you were adding it on from site when purchasing). At least this is what they quoted me so they're likely ballpark for any other saber. I have a graflex ce with an obsidian v4 board.

I couldn't find the pricing info anywhere on the forum so maybe it'll help someone else guesstimate cost if they're interested. Of course, pricing could change as this post becomes more dated and it could also change depending on the type of hilt and features you already have (or don't have).

For example, if you don't have an AV switch, I believe you would need that for these upgrades (they said $25 but the graflex already comes with one). Shipping will also vary of course depending on where you are. I'm in the States so that was relatively inexpensive. But hopefully this helps someone out. I might actually bite the bullet and do it. I bought the hilt for relatively cheap so I still make out if I decide to go all out on the diamond. I'm just going to enjoy my saber for a bit as is first. I think the upgrades will be a nice birthday/Christmas gift to myself in a few months (or maybe I can finally wear down my husband to get it done for me).

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 03:53:01 AM »

Yeah the Graflex is stock with an av switch. Pics would be nice too. V4 isn't a bad board though. What blade color is the saber in and what blade type did you go for?

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

digitalsithlord
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -165

Give into your Anger...Give me "Darkside" points..

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 07:30:19 PM »

Interesting post....I was thinking of taking one of my older sabers to DragonCon and getting them to upgrade it.  I did this a couple of years back with my stunt Bellicose, upgraded to an Obsidian V4 and with the $50 wiring fee.  I am seriously considering the Diamond over the Emerald, I saw a video where the Emerald is multiple smaller boards put together.  The diamond seems worth it for the extra $45 dollars over this...plus you can do so much more with the diamond...any one with any input on this...Huh

Lightsaber Arsenal:
Red Liberator - GB
Prophecy v2 - AS
Bellicose - BR
Archon V2.1 - CG
Crimson Reaper - BR
Dark Monarch -BR
Aeon v3 - SY
Malice - BR
Aeon v2 - AS
Dominix v2- VA
Dark War Glaive - DVA

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 10:19:55 PM »

For example, if you don't have an AV switch, I believe you would need that for these upgrades (they said $25 but the graflex already comes with one).

There should be no reason why you need one, I think they were just giving you quotes on upgrades in general.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »

If you're thinking of getting the Emerald board and wonder if it's worth the additional cost for the diamond, instead.................

Get the diamond board. It is well worth the added expense. Complete ability to configure led color, flash on clash color & pulse color. 10 preset sound fonts, plus the ability to add or change to your own sound fonts.

If you love to fiddle with your techno-toys, the diamond controller is for you.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 12:07:11 AM »

You can add and change sound fonts with Obsidian Premium also, but the Diamond has more sound banks than even an Obsidian V4. I'm not saying the Diamond is or isn't worth it, I'm just pointing that out.

Rashimotosan
Knight Ensign

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 02:32:36 AM »

Yeah I decided doesn't really make sense just to get the emerald. If I'm gonna upgrade might as well throw all the chips in so I won't need another upgrade for a while.

I'm actually still waiting on a blade lol to be honest I haven't even gotten to play with it really since it just came with a plug. I should get it Thursday. I'll enjoy it for a bit first and then send it in. (Though I'm afraid now I won't even want to part with it, even for an upgrade lol)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: