Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Choosing the pommel & final revised customization results  (Read 10170 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« on: August 26, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »

Hi all.  As some of you are aware I am customizing x2 sabers to give as gifts to my personal trainers.  This is the last saber.  The details that you need to know is that the stunt saber will be used for heavy dueling with a 36" UEHG blade.  This Sentinel has an extra retention screw and a Tri-CG LED.  Gloves will be hockey but I'm suggesting they get the slimmer lacrosse ones.  Both fella's are over 6 feet.

My dilemma is choosing the best pommel from the ones that might be suitable.  I would really appreciate a male's perspective to complete this project soon.  My choice for an aesthetic look may not be as appealing to a highly physical late twenties man.  Saber balance is not a main factor for the pommel choice as all the pommels are weighty and add extra length to the saber.  The shiny aluminum surface will be removed.  Thanks in advance.  Smiley

Pommels in order are :  High Manticore   Archon   War Glaive

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:28:40 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »

Hi Dauntless Seven,

From a looks perspective the High Manticore and Archon suit the Sentinel better.
Out of these two, the High Manticore might provide a much more ergonomic gripping point for your lower hand (imagine curling your grip around a door knob) whereas the Turret Ring Blocks of the Archon would still give grip but be more awkward to find a comfortable grip.

In my limited opinion the War Glaive looks awkward and un-ergonomic. It might provide a bit more counter balance weight to the blade but hinder grip.

Summary: As a sparring/dueller hilt I'd have them in the order they are, I'd choose High Manticore, Archon then War Glaive  in that order.

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »

What follows is only my personal opinion. I do not wear gloves so my idea comfort may differ from others. Note that I don't own any of those pommels so this opinion is solely based on pictures.

I would take the War Glaive out of the equation both because I find it less aesthetically appealing and for comfort of use. The way I fight I tend to often put the pommel right in the middle of my palm and hold it with a firm grip (this pommel doesn't seem really comfortable held that way).

The High Manticore would be the most comfortable but on the other hand the Archon would make it easier to hold the hilt if it starts slipping while spinning (though I don't expect they're planning on a lot of spinning with such heavy gloves).

If wearing gloves I guess the Archon may have my vote as my hands may slip more easily but not be as sensitive (and I also think it looks nice).

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 08:28:58 PM »

I'd either take the Manticore or the Archon as well. I'm leaning towards the Archon pommel, it just looks....right Smiley

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2786

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 08:55:21 PM »

Hey Dauntless. I like the Archon pommel best in my opinion. I think it flows well with the Sentinel and the Manticore pommel would be second followed by the WG.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 09:59:49 PM »

The Archon pommel breaks up the lines, in a good way so that'd be my first choice and that's my favourite pommel US offers.  Manticore second for it DOES flow nicely with the hilt and finishes it off nicely.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 10:05:30 PM »

Pommels that are significantly larger than the rest of the hilt's body always seem to irk me, so I'd go with the Manticore. Plus I do like how the grooves on the pommel matches the grip grooves on the Sentinel. Archon would be the second choice, and still looks fairly nice. War Glaive looks a bit out of place to me.  

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 10:22:43 PM »

Those are all great choices, as one of the points of a pommel on swords is to add weight to the back and balance the sword. The same can be said here, as a 36-inch heavy grade blade makes the Sentinel blade heavy, and those pommels should all add significant weight and balance it.

Having said that and owning neither of those pommels, I think the Archon pommel really works great with it. Due to the front of the pommel and the hilt being the same width, the seam looks great and it looks like a natural extension of the hilt. Plus, the pommel really compliments the lines of the saber, and gives it almost an Obi-Wan/Luke Skywalker look.

KyewReaver
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 11:36:50 PM »

I know it's not in the list, but I think the Dorinian would look great on that hilt. But, as someone else noted, it really comes down to the user's style of fighting + personal preference, and I don't think the Dorinian would benefit the ergonomics of the hilt.

If someone stuck a blaster to my head and MADE me choose out of those three...

Aesthetics:

1. War Glaive
2. Archon
3. High Manticore

Ergonomics:

1. High Manticore
2. Archon
3. War Glaive

Edit: Also wanted to add a suggestion for gloves. Being a gunsmith and an avid shooter myself, gloves are important to maintain dexterity when handling weapons. In the case of dueling, you need a bit of protection in the event of impact. Go to your local auto parts store and check out the Mechanix brand gloves they have there. They're budget-friendly and have a light protection on the backs that may be sufficient for your needs, while being light enough to retain almost all dexterity and even add to your "grippiness". They're excellent when shooting, keeping your hands in contact even while sweating, even against high recoil firearms.

The Force is a tool with no will but that of its master, the same as a lightsaber. Good or evil comes from the entity using the tool, not the tool itself.

- Kyew Reaver

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 12:16:32 AM »

Mechanix brand gloves won't work for heavy dueling, as D7 states these sabers will be used for.  I've been hit in the hands while wearing tactical gloves and they do not protect the index finger, nor pinky very well. (yes, broke both of those fingers in mock sword combat accidentally). Also broke my nose, so consider head protection as well. Shooters gloves also are not made for melee combat.

Cosplay, sparring are one thing, and ascetics for costumes can be considered: melee combat is altogether different and hand/head protection has to be considered priority.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

KyewReaver
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »

Ah, so heavy dueling means really wailing on your opponent. Got it. I was thinking more along the lines of a little more "full contact" than choreography.

On that note, I wonder if Kendo gloves would be good. Not sure how flexible they are, but they're definitely made for sword sparring.

The Force is a tool with no will but that of its master, the same as a lightsaber. Good or evil comes from the entity using the tool, not the tool itself.

- Kyew Reaver

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 12:41:08 AM »

The people she bought these sabers for are martial arts instructors. I doubt they will be kind to the sabers. Or their hands, for that matter.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2786

Grey Assassin

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 01:22:34 AM »

Exactly.  They're going to get beat up and what not

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 01:30:35 AM »

Hi All,

I think I'm safe naming these companies, of course D7 and the Mods can delete as necessary but I have seen a few brands of gloves recommended including Under Armour lacrosse style and Red Dragon hockey/HEMA gloves. They both have "hard shell" protection but still have a bit of dexterity in them. Importantly they protect against those strikes to the tips of your fingers!

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 01:33:10 AM »

I think the Archon pommel would suit that saber best

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: