Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: A legal question..  (Read 4332 times)
Jefardi
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: November 24, 2011, 06:57:25 PM »

Here is a probably never before asked question, can these lightsabers be defined as a weapon? The reason I ask is because I want to keep one on campus (parents aren't all that happy with it) and I don't want to get into any legal trouble...

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:06:29 PM »

I have asked that question of a Sheriff's Deputy in Kentucky.  He stated that a weapon is defined as any object that can end life or cause bodily harm.  As the sabers constructed can be used against items such as bo staffs and practice swords, I would have to say that "Yes, this does classify it as a weapon based upon the laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky".  Now, I would suggest that you do the following:  

1.  Contact someone on the campus police force and ask them their professional opinion.

2.  Get that person's name, rank, and badge number.

3.  Don't use it to cause intentional bodily harm.

I hope this helps.

JJ

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Jefardi
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »

thanks for the quick response!

I never intend to do any dueling in the forseeable future, but I would like to keep it on campus, the real problem with it lies in the fact the blade is pretty thick.

I actually am going to ask my RA it

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »

Bluespike's advice is excellent.  Make sure to be honest with the person you talk to, but don't be afraid to use the word "toy."  All in all if you check it out you should be ok.  If you don't make it look like a weapon it won't look like a weapon  Wink

Jefardi
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »

how would you suggest I word it then, if you don't mind me asking? (other than probably using the word toy in conversation several times?)

Ander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 56

SErvizio, CUra, RIspetto

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:54:54 AM »

Why not just say: I'd like to bring into the campus a toy which is a replica of a Star Wars lightsaber... Is there any problem with that?

Andrea Ungaro | Ander
LudoSport form I, II, III instructor

Dean - LudoSport Alpha - Ordine delle Onde
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lscagenova/

Why you should not learn fighting on Youtube: https://goo.gl/mhh9Ns

Jefardi
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 01:25:03 AM »

mkay, thanks for the advice guys! (also for quick responses)

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:42:22 AM »

I don't think you have any real need to worry about it.  It is a collectable, it is used for fitness, and I'm sure people on the fencing team probably has their own foils which I doubt are locked in an armory.  Same thought for the baseball players and bats.

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

Jefardi
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 01:57:13 AM »

I mean people are able to keep bats and nerf guns, so I think i am okay with keeping it in my dorm.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 04:17:13 AM »

I don't think you have any real need to worry about it.  It is a collectable, it is used for fitness, and I'm sure people on the fencing team probably has their own foils which I doubt are locked in an armory.  Same thought for the baseball players and bats.

Indeed, I kept my fencing equipment in my room just like the rest of the fencing team.  Still, I agree with Artorius about following bluespike's advice, just to be on the safe side.  You have to consider that under that kind of definition of "weapon" you would be unable to keep most of the stuff in your room... heck a pen could cause bodily harm or death if used the right way.

Good luck with your situation.

Jefardi
Force Sensitive

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 04:23:09 AM »

A pen is only a deadly weapon in the hands of romo lapkins, that and I am going to ask my RA as soon as I get a chance.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »

In the eyes of the law, an Ultra Saber becomes a weapon only when you use it as one. This also applies to other recreational objects like baseball bats, hockey sticks, and lawn darts.

When being used for its intended purpose, an Ultra Saber is not legally categorized as a weapon under U.S. statutes.

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 01:23:15 AM »

This reminds me of something that happened to me when I was in school.   When I first went for orientation I talked to the campus police at ask the same question(well about other training tools, sai, staff, kama,  bokken) they said they were fine with it because it was part of my "sport".  Two months later I got a knock on my door, it was the same officer I talked to at orientation.  She told me that there had been a complaint from one of the other students that I was brandishing weapons in the yard behind my apartment.  I told her that I talked to her earlier and then she remember the conversation and that I just had to take to live sword home.   I also pointed out that if she had to talk to me then she would have to talk to the lacrosse player and the baseball player and even to culinary students (knives)  as well.  I laughed and mention that in the O.R.C (Ohio Revised Code) Baseball bat is mentioned by name in the definition of a deadly weapon.  But then of course my Martial/tactical/and Law Enforcement training tells me that EVERYTHING can be used as a weapon.  But like everyone else said. ASK and Check your state and local laws on the subject.    Heck take it to the department with you when you ask.  I guarantee they will play with it.   If your school has a fencing/kendo/kung fu/ karate club(that all use weapons) I am sure you will be fine.   

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 04:35:06 AM »

Why not just say: I'd like to bring into the campus a toy which is a replica of a Star Wars lightsaber... Is there any problem with that?

Just don't say anything.  If someone asks, make something up like how you're part of a lightsaber group or something.

If it's a more risky item, well, that's your own discretion.

I find that in terms of a lightsaber, because it's so ingrained in our culture as a result of the popular movies which are nearly always quoted and referenced to in some form or another, they tend to be okay and even if they were considered a weapon, they're looked at so adoringly by the general populace that it almost completely get's overshadowed.

I'm not even lying. I brandished my saber with a friend of mine on a rather occupied and crowded bridge connecting two river-trails, because I kind of love attention and I love showing off stuff (yeah I'm full of my ego, haha).  There were security guards nearby, but they paid no attention and everyone seemed to love it.
I guess they thought it was a staged-performance or something.

Additionally, I pulled this off multiple times while at a summer camp.  Everyone loved it, especially the campers, and the staff had no problem with it.

So, I think it would be a lot easier to get away with this by saying it's for training than say if you had a 2nd generation, one-piece, hand-and-a-half Broadsword, but I digress.

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 04:39:16 AM »

I've been bringing lightsabers to Relay for Life, which is a charity walk held at a local high school. I've never had a problem and my sabers have actually been quite a hit at the event. I was careful to clear bringing them with the event chairman, of course, but everything has been great for my public saber use.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: