Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Halloween problems  (Read 6347 times)
ZekeTheGameFreak
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 20

« on: September 13, 2018, 11:12:49 PM »

So I've been wanting to do a grey Jedi costume for Halloween for a while now, but I've never made a costume before and don't know what fabrics to use. I've sewn before, so I'm not really nervous about that. My main concern is getting a fabric that looks good, and will hold up to a lot of moving.

There is Passion, yet Peace
Serenity, yet Emotion
There is Chaos, yet Order
The is no Dark or Light only the Force

Purchased Sabers: Dark Apprentice V4 Obsidian LITE/ Fire Orange
                       Dark Apprentice V4 stunt/ Blazing Red
                       Dominix V4 Stunt/ Blazing Red
                       Initiate V4 Stunt/ Blazing Red
                       Apprentice V4 Stunt/ Guardian Blue
Light Side points please, should the Force guide you to.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »

You can't go wrong with cotton and linen for the main parts. I bought a Jedi costume and the undertunic is cotton, the outer tunic, tabards and obi are linen. It lays really well, has significant feel and just looks good.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 03:02:52 AM »

SFD is right: cotton and linen are excellent materials to use.  To illustrate, here's a pic of my own gray Jedi robes:

And here's one featuring the tunic:

And it's always a pleasure to meet a fellow Gray  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »

Did somebody set Grey Jedi? My robe is cotton, the obi and pants are cotton too, the rest is a cotton blend I think. But other then needing to shorten the sleeves on my robe it all works great.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »

Did somebody set Grey Jedi? My robe is cotton, the obi and pants are cotton too, the rest is a cotton blend I think. But other then needing to shorten the sleeves on my robe it all works great.

I've said it before but...your ensemble looks BADASS Tx!  And the color scheme is spectacular, especially complimented by your saber  Smiley

Point brother!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

ZekeTheGameFreak
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback. Wish me luck.

Serenity, yet Emotion

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 06:24:59 PM »

-Texture- is one very important thing to keep in mind when you are making your costume. I spent probably a few months researching various fabrics before deciding on what I wanted to use. If you look at all the Jedi costumes in Star Wars they all have a texture that you can see from a distance, this not only makes it easier for the camera to pick up but also adds some realism to the overall look of the character. I used cotton gauze that I dyed brown for my tunic. It shrinks like crazy after a wash though, so you have to take that into consideration. The "folds" of the gauze are, in my opinion, some of the best looking texture for a Jedi costume (pic below).

For the Tabards I went with a fabric that had a kind of checkerboard weave, the fabric is actually cut from a tablecloth. I was browsing my local Walmart clearance aisle and found it for sale. I grabbed it because the pattern looked great and it was actually cheaper than buying two yards of similar fabric in the same type. That's something to keep in mind, always be on the lookout for good fabric and don't limit your mind to actually buying it by the yard. Fabric shower curtains can work out depending on the pattern, tablecloths are my personal favorite to use.

Unwashed and un-dyed cotton gauze on the left, dyed and washed cotton gauze in the middle (lovely texture, right?), and the checkerboard fabric for the Tabards on the right.

As some have mentioned, linen is a a great fabric to use because of its cooling properties, but it can be pricey so striking a balance between cost, looks, and comfort can take some time.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »

I forgot to ask, do you have a pattern already picked out that you're going to use?

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 10:01:41 PM »

We have a very similar color scheme.  Grin

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

ZekeTheGameFreak
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 12:37:03 AM »

I forgot to ask, do you have a pattern already picked out that you're going to use?
I think. It was gonna be a little darker, kind of a light grey tunic with darker gray tabards and an almost black cloak if that's what you mean by pattern.

Serenity, yet Emotion

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 12:53:08 AM »

I could be wrong, but I think by pattern he means the actual pattern you lay on the fabric to cut out the pieces.

Great costume pics, TheDutchman and tx_tuff. Also, cool stuff on the fabrics, Saso Is-kor. That's one thing I love about this forum; it's so much more than sabers. You ask a question on a variety of subjects and people are there with answers, advice and pics.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 12:57:47 AM »

I could be wrong, but I think by pattern he means the actual pattern you lay on the fabric to cut out the pieces.

Great costume pics, TheDutchman and tx_tuff. Also, cool stuff on the fabrics, Saso Is-kor. That's one thing I love about this forum; it's so much more than sabers. You ask a question on a variety of subjects and people are there with answers, advice and pics.

Agreed, I've been pointed towards the right places from costumes to electronics and even reading material.  Love this community that doesn't just focus on the sabers themselves even though they are really important, but also focuses on everything else even personal issues.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 01:05:23 AM »

I think. It was gonna be a little darker, kind of a light grey tunic with darker gray tabards and an almost black cloak if that's what you mean by pattern.

I should have been more specific, my bad. As Scifidude79 mentioned I meant the actual design patterns. As tedious as picking the right fabric is, I think deciding on the right pattern drove me even crazier, especially with keeping an eye towards accuracy but still making it my own. If you need assistance with any of that stuff definitely post it up. Echoing what many have said, we love to help out.

ZekeTheGameFreak
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 02:19:38 AM »

I should have been more specific, my bad. As Scifidude79 mentioned I meant the actual design patterns. As tedious as picking the right fabric is, I think deciding on the right pattern drove me even crazier, especially with keeping an eye towards accuracy but still making it my own. If you need assistance with any of that stuff definitely post it up. Echoing what many have said, we love to help out.

Oh lol. I kinda do, I was following along with Dreycon Dell's guide, with a little improvisation from a guide I saw on youtube, I can't remember who the video was by though. I'm thinking about buying one of the simplicity patterns. If you have any other recommendations for tips and patterns I'll gladly hear them.

Serenity, yet Emotion

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 04:06:56 AM »

Oh lol. I kinda do, I was following along with Dreycon Dell's guide, with a little improvisation from a guide I saw on youtube, I can't remember who the video was by though. I'm thinking about buying one of the simplicity patterns. If you have any other recommendations for tips and patterns I'll gladly hear them.

Ok, cool! I just took a good look at Dreycon Dell's guide and it looks pretty solid. Just to give you some more info and to get an idea of what another pattern looks like, I used the classic "Simplicity 5840" (pic below) for my tunic and false dickie that goes just underneath, it's probably a pattern you've come across and is I would say the most common pattern used. I don't think I have any daytime photos of my costume so I promise I'll spend some time tomorrow to take some and post them here so that I can elaborate better on what I did.

With this particular Simplicity tunic pattern, I found that the sleeves were not long enough (I was going for the traditional length of it coming to your knuckles when the arms are at your sides, the actual pattern was about 2 inches short if I remember.) Other than that modification, I made the tunic as it instructed.

The false dickie is a pretty straightforward piece and required no modding.

The Tabard pattern included didn't really work because A) it flares outward at the shoulders instead of all being one long rectangle and B) it only goes as far as the belt and I wanted the tabards to extend past the tunic in the front and back. In the end, I ditched the pattern and just made one myself (really easy, because as I mentioned they are just two very long rectangles if they are traditional tabards.)

The Obi pattern was garbage so I went with Rebel Legion's "How to make a self-scrunching Obi" pattern and it worked better, plus it looked a ton more accurate.

I didn't use the actual cloak pattern provided because my character is more of a "fighting" Jedi but from what I've heard it requires extensive modification to even resemble a normal Jedi cloak. Hopefully a few other people who have made one can chime in regarding that piece.

As I said, I'll post a few pictures tomorrow to better illustrate as well as talking about props like pouches and food capsules. I actually have two tutorials on both of those on the forum here:

Pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: